New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

I actually regularly find that I'd rather have 20 points more even without the pistols. So many options I feel I should take, but don't have the points for. Better weapons, more spirit stones, more psychic powers and items.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-10-25 at 04:50 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

Orks. IMO, Currently the weakest Codex (even before new Necrons). Unlike Tyranids, you're not forced into taking things to deal with Tanks, simply because Orks don't have anything that deal with vehicles anyway. Seriously, that's it. Second, or less importantly, the way that most people think that Orks are supposed to be played (Assaulty), and certainly the way that the designers intended, doesn't work. The Codex is full of trap and just outright bad units, and the strongest units in the Codex are Shootas, Lootas and Flash Gitz. All shooting units - although Flash Gits have 3 attacks base and can be upgraded to have S6 Shooting Assault-type weapons, which is insane.
    If you want to play Orks, forget that and play Tyranids. But that's my opinion. Orks are alright.
    I disargee, I find in the whole "Mech is King" environment, everyone taking lasbacks and other anti mech weapons, leaving very little I find to deal with massive teeming hordes of boyz I thrust down their throats so to speak.

Though your the first person I've ever hear say Flash Gitz are any good.
    Last edited by Talkkno; 2011-10-25 at 08:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Talkkno View Post
    I disargee, I find in the whole "Mech is King" environment, everyone taking lasbacks and other anti mech weapons, leaving very little I find to deal with massive teeming hordes of boyz I thrust down their throats so to speak.

Though your the first person I've ever hear say Flash Gitz are any good.
    If you're not running Battlewagons or Killa Kans - and if you're running Green Tide, why would you? - then Flash Gits are the way to go. I'm all in favour of All Infantry armies. However, if your opponent is doing Mech right, he should have at least one or two Razorbacks with Heavy Flamers, or Sergeants with Combi-Flamers instead of Combi-Meltas.

Second problem is if your opponent has Skimmers. I've said a few times in the last few days that Orks have no ranged anti-tank worth talking about. A Fast Skimmer waits for your Nobs to be in range, then Turbo-Boosts to the other side of the board. Stormravens and Dark Eldar laugh in the face of Orks.

All Infantry is currently a weakness for Mech. Anybody with a brain has swapped a few Las-Plases to Heavy Flamers. Although it does depend on points. And Blood Angels - being ridiculous - get Baal Predators which run rampages through Orks. And that's not even including regular Dakkapreds.

Seriously? Who doesn't run 85 point Dakka Preds in a Mech list?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-10-25 at 08:39 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

If you're not running Battlewagons or Killa Kans - and if you're running Green Tide, why would you? - then Flash Gits are the way to go. I'm all in favour of All Infantry armies. However, if your opponent is doing Mech right, he should have at least one or two Razorbacks with Heavy Flamers, or Sergeants with Combi-Flamers instead of Combi-Meltas.
    Most opponents around here at least only take on of those(Heavy flamer), options and that ain't enough to deal with it, in my experience.

Second problem is if your opponent has Skimmers. I've said a few times in the last few days that Orks have no ranged anti-tank worth talking about. A Fast Skimmer waits for your Nobs to be in range, then Turbo-Boosts to the other side of the board. Stormravens and Dark Eldar laugh in the face of Orks.
    True I just lost to a Ravenwing army the other day...

All Infantry is currently a weakness for Mech. Anybody with a brain has swapped a few Las-Plases to Heavy Flamers. Although it does depend on points. And Blood Angels - being ridiculous - get Baal Predators which run rampages through Orks. And that's not even including regular Dakkapreds.

Seriously? Who doesn't run 85 point Dakka Preds in a Mech list?
    Dakkapreads are autocannon+heavy bolter ones right? Haven't found them of much of a problem, they kill some boyz but don't really thin them enough to do much damage in my experience.
    Last edited by Talkkno; 2011-10-25 at 08:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Bugbear in the Playground

As someone who plays blood angels and has had about five games against orks recently, I smoke 'em. The only thing I have had trouble against is a full (wound shennanigans) nob squad but even they arent so tough when I am blasting them with plasma and lascannons. My tanks put out an intense amount of shots against the orks, especially the dakka baal which tears apart orks with ease. That is saying nothing of the whirlwind which just blows massive chunks out of an ork army with its incediary rounds. The honour guard rip through orks too but then again four flamers does a lot of damage to anything.

Here is the list I have been running.
    Spoiler
    Show

-Librarian 100pts
    -Honour Guard, 4x flamers, Power weapon on sanguinary priest 150pts
    -Razorback, heavy flamer, storm bolter, dozer blade 70pts

-2x Sanguinary priests with power weapons 130pts

-5 man Tactical Squad 90pts
    -Las/plas razorback, storm bolter, dozerblade 105pts

-5 man Tactical Squad 90pts
    -Las/plas razorback, storm bolter, dozerblade 105pts

-Assault Squad, powerfist, meltagun 135pts
    -Las/plas razorback, storm bolter, dozerblade 70pts

-Assault Squad, powerfist, meltagun 135pts
    -Las/plas razorback, storm bolter, dozerblade 70pts

-Baal Predator, Assault cannons, HB sponsons, Storm Bolter 155pts

-Whirlwind 90pts

1495pts
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

6. - Top - End - #1206

Ah, yes, there is, of course, the slight problem known as a big squad of absurdly cheap Lootas. lots of shots, decent range and S7, in other words like being shot with autocannons and plasma. There are 2 things that munch right through Stormravens in an Ork list. Lootas are one, a Nob with a powerklaw after you get Stunned by a rokkit is the other.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Some more rumours for you all:

Spoiler
    Show
    via Faeit 212

Releases, via Marik Law

Can't name my source, but this person is a fairly new source to me so please take this with a large helping of salt. I can't even be sure that I can trust this person 100% yet. We'll see if I can trust him if what he said actually comes to pass.

Codex: Necrons (Late October & all November)
    Codex: Tau Empire (Early 2012)
    6th Edition AND Codex: Legions of Chaos (Mid 2012)
    Codex: Eldar (Late 2012)

The following are supposedly to be released in 2013, but I was not given a specific release order. With that said, the following is NOT in order of release.
    Codex: Dark Angels (2013)
    Codex: Sisters of Battle (2013)

He/She mentioned that there would be a third Codex in 2013, but couldn't give me specifics as to what it was (or was unwilling to at this point in time). He/She mentioned quite a lot of other things as well (6th Edition, narratives, etc), but I don't want to push too much out there when I don't know if I can trust this person yet or not. So again, please take this with a grain (or a spoonful) of salt.

6th Edition via Marik Law

He/She wouldn't go into specifics, but said that a lot of what had been said online was true, some of it wasn't entirely correct, and some of it was correct but just worded extremely poorly to a point where it made the rule seem more complex than it actually was or made the rule seem somehow different.
    He/She said he/she had played games using the new rulebook and said that the games didn't take much longer to complete than they already are, if anything they were making a point that some of the more convoluted rules have been streamlined and some of the rules that were "too basic" got changed as well. He/She said that, if anything, the game feels much more strategic with the new rulebook, though he/she did say that some of the rules take "a bit of getting used to."

EDIT: Codex books won't be invalidated by the new rules apparently, but the new rulebook will come with an FAQ section for each already existing army to clarify any confusion or mix-ups in concern to the new rules.

Also, to those worried about the lack of Imperial releases, my source did say that new models and finecast were coming out over the next year for a few Imperial loyalist armies, including Imperial Guard, and that after Eldar we'd be, and I quote, "sick of Imperial releases."

As for why they chose certain armies over armies that needed it more (Dark Angels, Black Templars, etc), it was apparently due to lore/fluff reasons.
    Chaos is going to be a major threat come 6th Edition to everyone, not just the Imperium, and apparently they (Chaos) will have a front against the Tau Empire, hence why Tau are getting a release before-hand. The perspective/narrative is also changing apparently and it won't be only or heavily Imperial, he/she said that GW wanted to make some of the other "good" races (Tau Empire, Eldar) feel just as important as the Imperium when it comes to lore/fluff and the fate of the galaxy. This was apparently some of the reasoning behind why Tau Empire and Eldar are getting books before armies like Dark Angels and Black Templars.

As for the actual Tau Empire rules, all my source was willing to say was that a good deal of the rumours currently on the internet about Tau are true, but that some were false or just poorly worded, and that he/she couldn't give out or confirm/deny specifics as he/she "might get in trouble." Apparently, some GW staff are allowed to leak certain details to the public via the internet, but are very specific as to what is allowed to be said by who.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2011-10-25 at 02:36 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Barbarian in the Playground

smile Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

third try:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ:
    Company command squad: 85pt
    Company commander, 4 veterans
    Veterans: vox-caster, heavy flamer, metlagun

Chimera: 75pt
    Heavy flamer, heavy stubber, dozer blade

TROOP:
    Airborne Veteran squad 1: 135pt
    vox caster, 3 meltaguns, grenadiers

Airborne Veteran squad 2: 135pt

Airborne Veteran squad 3: 135pt

Fast attack:
    Valkyrie assault carrier: 155pt
    (caries a veteran squad)
    lascannons, multiple rocket pods, heavy bolters

vendetta gunship 1: 140pt
    heavy bolters

vendetta gunship 2: 140pt
    heavy bolters

Heavy support:
    Lemun Russ squadron 1: 390pt
    2 demolishers
    All: meltaguns

Lemun Russ squadron 2: 350pt
    2 battletanks
    All: lascannon, heavy stubber

hydra flack tank battery: 225pt
    3 hydra flack tanks
    total: 1890pt
    correct any math errors you see

i was wondering what people's opinions were on hellhounds/devil dogs/bane wolves. are they worth taking? if so, which one would best compliment this list?

i know that taking a squad of hellhounds would mean that i have to shunt my vendettas into one FO slot, making them much more vulnerable, but i guess i was wondering if it would still be worth it to run a hellhound squadron.

similarly, should i put my command squad in a valkyrie/vendetta as well? i have them in a chimera currently due to the fact that the officer can give commands out of it, but they seem kinda isolated and slow with all their subordinates rushing off to claim objectives; they'll be left in the dust
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Some more rumours for you all:

Spoiler
    Show
    via Faeit 212

Releases, via Marik Law

Can't name my source, but this person is a fairly new source to me so please take this with a large helping of salt. I can't even be sure that I can trust this person 100% yet. We'll see if I can trust him if what he said actually comes to pass.

Codex: Necrons (Late October & all November)
    Codex: Tau Empire (Early 2012)
    6th Edition AND Codex: Legions of Chaos (Mid 2012)
    Codex: Eldar (Late 2012)

The following are supposedly to be released in 2013, but I was not given a specific release order. With that said, the following is NOT in order of release.
    Codex: Dark Angels (2013)
    Codex: Sisters of Battle (2013)

He/She mentioned that there would be a third Codex in 2013, but couldn't give me specifics as to what it was (or was unwilling to at this point in time). He/She mentioned quite a lot of other things as well (6th Edition, narratives, etc), but I don't want to push too much out there when I don't know if I can trust this person yet or not. So again, please take this with a grain (or a spoonful) of salt.

6th Edition via Marik Law

He/She wouldn't go into specifics, but said that a lot of what had been said online was true, some of it wasn't entirely correct, and some of it was correct but just worded extremely poorly to a point where it made the rule seem more complex than it actually was or made the rule seem somehow different.
    He/She said he/she had played games using the new rulebook and said that the games didn't take much longer to complete than they already are, if anything they were making a point that some of the more convoluted rules have been streamlined and some of the rules that were "too basic" got changed as well. He/She said that, if anything, the game feels much more strategic with the new rulebook, though he/she did say that some of the rules take "a bit of getting used to."

EDIT: Codex books won't be invalidated by the new rules apparently, but the new rulebook will come with an FAQ section for each already existing army to clarify any confusion or mix-ups in concern to the new rules.

Also, to those worried about the lack of Imperial releases, my source did say that new models and finecast were coming out over the next year for a few Imperial loyalist armies, including Imperial Guard, and that after Eldar we'd be, and I quote, "sick of Imperial releases."

As for why they chose certain armies over armies that needed it more (Dark Angels, Black Templars, etc), it was apparently due to lore/fluff reasons.
    Chaos is going to be a major threat come 6th Edition to everyone, not just the Imperium, and apparently they (Chaos) will have a front against the Tau Empire, hence why Tau are getting a release before-hand. The perspective/narrative is also changing apparently and it won't be only or heavily Imperial, he/she said that GW wanted to make some of the other "good" races (Tau Empire, Eldar) feel just as important as the Imperium when it comes to lore/fluff and the fate of the galaxy. This was apparently some of the reasoning behind why Tau Empire and Eldar are getting books before armies like Dark Angels and Black Templars.

As for the actual Tau Empire rules, all my source was willing to say was that a good deal of the rumours currently on the internet about Tau are true, but that some were false or just poorly worded, and that he/she couldn't give out or confirm/deny specifics as he/she "might get in trouble." Apparently, some GW staff are allowed to leak certain details to the public via the internet, but are very specific as to what is allowed to be said by who.
    Legions of chaos? Are they putting marines and demons together again?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Legions of chaos? Are they putting marines and demons together again?
    Maybe, but at least making it possible to field proper Thousand Sons, Deathguard etc armies.

Get yer Necron on:

Spoiler
    Show

via BramGaunt at Warseer
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Talkkno View Post
    Dakkapreads are autocannon+heavy bolter ones right? Haven't found them of much of a problem, they kill some boyz but don't really thin them enough to do much damage in my experience.
    Are there 3 of them? Are there things backing them up? Land Speeder Typhoons and Predators should be munching through Orks. Unless there's only one Predator? Then that's pretty useless. In the high points you should also be facing 2-3 Dreadnoughts of some description. Orks should not be doing well against Meched Space Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    i was wondering what people's opinions were on hellhounds/devil dogs/bane wolves. are they worth taking? if so, which one would best compliment this list?
    Good when you play them right. Devil Dogs and Bane Wolves are the better picks. However, if your meta-game plays lots of terrain and your Bane Wolves can't maneuver properly, Hellhounds are the better variant. Although, for half the points you can grab Chimeras for the same sort of role, generally Scoring too.

but i guess i was wondering if it would still be worth it to run a hellhound squadron.
    No. Hellhounds belong in Chimera armies. Most of the time, your Valkyries and Vendettas shouldn't be starting on the board. Which means all your Russes are going to get shot at. Basically, you're paying a high price for bullet magnets to take heat off of your Russes during the first turns.

Second, look at the points cost of Hellhound tanks. You could just get more Gunships for the same price, and Gunships are better.

similarly, should i put my command squad in a valkyrie/vendetta as well?
    Your Command Squad is largely useless. Your Veterans should be either off the board, or in your enemy's DZ. No exceptions. Your Command Squad has a radius of 12". That doesn't go very far, and doesn't work in a Gunship anyway. Command Squads don't do anything in this list. If you were playing a Chimera list, it'd be different. But you're not so it isn't. Lord Commissars are the better pick.

but they seem kinda isolated and slow with all their subordinates rushing off to claim objectives; they'll be left in the dust
    Since I generally respond to posts without reading them all the way, and kind of just quote bits that jump out at me...Yeah. You know what you're talking about.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Your Command Squad is largely useless. Your Veterans should be either off the board, or in your enemy's DZ. No exceptions. Your Command Squad has a radius of 12". That doesn't go very far, and doesn't work in a Gunship anyway. Command Squads don't do anything in this list. If you were playing a Chimera list, it'd be different. But you're not so it isn't. Lord Commissars are the better pick.
    As I see it, the one "good" use of command squads in a list like this is with medpack and three Plasma Guns (or just four plasma guns, depending on how much you like your men, I guess), and either treat them as a non-scoring veteran squad (in which case, get them a gunship, drop down, blast something and take bets on what will kill them), or to keep back and (somewhat) "protect" your tanks from deep strikers (as in, help the survivors kill whatever made a number of their friend), in which case, keep them hidden in a chimera behind the russes...
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScanian View Post
    As I see it, the one "good" use of command squads in a list like this is with medpack and three Plasma Guns (or just four plasma guns, depending on how much you like your men, I guess), and either treat them as a non-scoring veteran squad (in which case, get them a gunship, drop down, blast something and take bets on what will kill them), or to keep back and (somewhat) "protect" your tanks from deep strikers (as in, help the survivors kill whatever made a number of their friend), in which case, keep them hidden in a chimera behind the russes...
    Command squad, carapace armor, medi-pack, three plasma guns, Chimera = 200 points. Terminators flee in terror and/or make their deep strike decisions dependent entirely on where this is on the board.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Command squad, carapace armor, medi-pack, three plasma guns, Chimera = 200 points. Terminators flee in terror and/or make their deep strike decisions dependent entirely on where this is on the board.
    Unless they're Hammernators, in which case you'll kill maybe 1 or 2 before they turn your Chimera to scrap and your men to a fine red paste.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    Unless they're Hammernators, in which case you'll kill maybe 1 or 2 before they turn your Chimera to scrap and your men to a fine red paste.
    Takes two turns if they're working by themselves, and they have to catch it first.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #1216

I've decided it's time for a bit of a project. So it's new army time, purely for fun. If I'm playing a tournament, I'll break out the Blood Angels. With my trusty copy of IA8 in my hand, I've been putting together a 2000 point Elysian Drop troop list.

It has 9 Gunships and that's having points allocated to other units, including 4 reasonably tooled up Veteran squads. For a confirmed lover of gunships such as myself, this is heaven. 3 Vendettas, 2 Vultures and the rest as Valkyries. I think I like rocket pods as well :). The only thing I'm not so sure of (since we're mentioning command squads) is that I can only take 1 plasma / melta gun on my Company command. Ah well, I'll trade that for lots and lots of gunships and deep striking multi melta sentinels.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

Takes two turns if they're working by themselves, and they have to catch it first.
    *cough* Deathwing *cough*

Though, as I found in my last game, firing salvo after salvo of Krak missiles into AV12 might mean 4 player turns without a single damage result, and that with 6 Kraks per turn
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

18. - Top - End - #1218

I once had my death Company Dread do just that, It ate 8 missiles and none got through. Next turn it was all a bit late to try again.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Though, as I found in my last game, firing salvo after salvo of Krak missiles into AV12 might mean 4 player turns without a single damage result, and that with 6 Kraks per turn
    Eheheh.

You had 2+/3+ Fearless Troops choices. It's not like you really needed them.
    Forcedadrawforcedadrawforcedadraw.
    Last edited by Etcetera; 2011-10-26 at 02:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1220

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    What of it? They're still Hammernators, are they not? Which at last check, nobody plays?

Seriously. I don't see Hammernators in my metagame, of any flavor whatsoever, with the exception of one Ultramarines player (who, as faithful readers may recall, cheats) who runs a squad of three hammers and two claws. At the very most there's a storm shield or two thrown onto a mixed unit to play wound shenanigans with. Mostly the SS comes into play via Thunderwolves, which kill everything ever anyway, so it really doesn't make much difference.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

They're still Hammernators, are they not? Which at last check, nobody plays?

Seriously. I don't see Hammernators in my metagame...
    Your meta-game is weird. In my meta-game there's two guys who haven't caught on that Codex Marines are bad in Assault and use three squads of five. There's another two who use just one squad, and one last one that runs them with Shrike.

I, myself play Deathwing.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #1222

smile Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

more revisions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ:
    Lord Commissar: 70pt

TROOP:
    Airborne Veteran squad 1: 135pt

Airborne Veteran squad 2: 135pt

Airborne Veteran squad 3: 135pt

Fast attack:
    Valkyrie assault carrier: 155pt
    (caries a veteran squad)
    lascannons, multiple rocket pods, heavy bolters

vendetta gunship 1: 140pt
    heavy bolters

vendetta gunship 2: 140pt
    heavy bolters

Heavy support:
    Lemun Russ squadron 1: 390pt
    2 demolishers
    All: meltaguns

Lemun Russ squadron 2: 350pt
    2 battletanks
    All: lascannon, heavy stubber

hydra flack tank battery: 225pt
    3 hydra flack tanks

total: 1875pt (correct me if i'm wrong)

the commissar will ride with one of the veteran squads, i didn't give him anything because i'm taking him out of necessity, i need an HQ, and as Cheesegear pointed out, my old command squad wasn't doing much of anything. so here he is, simple and unequipped.

would this list benefit from a pair of techpriests? my vehicle squads probably wouldn't get too much mileage out of them, seeing as how a vehicle in a squad is destroyed on an "immobilized" result. they aren't independant characters, so i can't run them in the valkyries with my squads, but i could still use them to repair "weapon destroyed" results on my Russes and Hydras...

my next step up for this list is adding another battle tank, another destroyer, and another Valkyrie with troops inside it, however i would like to play-test at around 1800pt (which is where this list currently is), to see if i like what i've got.
    Last edited by gabado; 2011-10-26 at 09:05 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Speaking of Deathwing, is it general practice when playing Ravenwing, two have two or so termie squads in the army as well as a line holder? The Ravenwing army that beat me the other day used that(1 shooty termie squad and one assault termie sqaud) to bulk out 2 land speeder tyhoons, two bike squads or so with Samual.

The army looked pretty good when I played against it.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

the commissar will ride with one of the veteran squads, i didn't give him anything because i'm taking him out of necessity, i need an HQ, and as Cheesegear pointed out, my old command squad wasn't doing much of anything. so here he is, simple and unequipped.
    Check the main rules FAQ. Page 7, first column. Then give your Commissar a Camo Cloak. I also don't like seeing Independent Characters without Power Weapons.

Drop your Vox Casters on all units. You have nobody giving Orders anymore. lol.
    I'm not a fan of doctrines, as far as I'm concerned, you've got 90 points there that could be spent on a whole 'nother squad. But, that being said, '1780' is a weird point break and you should probably trim at least 30 points off of it anyway.

but i could still use them to repair "weapon destroyed" results on my Russes and Hydras...
    Keeping stuff alive is less important than simply having more of it. You're playing Guard totally wrong.

A pair of Tech Priests is 90 points. You could have more Veterans. Or find a few more points for Gunships, etc.

my next step up for this list is adding another battle tank, another destroyer, and another Valkyrie with troops inside it, however i would like to play-test at around 1800pt (which is where this list currently is), to see if i like what i've got.
    Leman Russes + Gunships is incredibly good. Just keep piling on Russes and Gunships 'til you have 9 of each and you wont be far off. As I've said, Demolishers and Battle Tanks are the best ones, maybe one or two Executioners, but they shouldn't be your go-to Tanks.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-10-26 at 07:27 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #1225

more revisions:
    [SPOILER]would this list benefit from a pair of techpriests? my vehicle squads probably wouldn't get too much mileage out of them, seeing as how a vehicle in a squad is destroyed on an "immobilized" result.
    I dont think I have ever seen anyone use techpriests except in apocalypse when they have a bane blade sitting there and a techpriest and servitors behind it.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

26. - Top - End - #1226

Drop your Vox Casters on all units. You have nobody giving Orders anymore. lol.
    oh, wow, forgot about those

I'm not a fan of doctrines, as far as I'm concerned, you've got 90 points there that could be spent on a whole 'nother squad.
    okay, i'll see about shifting those points into something else. maybe another Lemun Russ...
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

27. - Top - End - #1227

Your meta-game is weird. In my meta-game there's two guys who haven't caught on that Codex Marines are bad in Assault and use three squads of five. There's another two who use just one squad, and one last one that runs them with Shrike.

I, myself play Deathwing.
    Pretty much this. There's no one around here who goes to extremes with 3 squads of 5, but there's a fellow who uses them with a Schizophrenic Landraider (yes, please advance it into Stormraven melta range on turn 1 while only firing a single lascannon as you move) and another who uses them with a Redeemer. I'm yet to be convinced that they're worth it myself. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Terminators in general, unless they're my own Deathwing. That I like.

As the Dark Angels, Talkkno, generally speaking, for 1000 points, I'll run straight Deathwing with Dreadnoughts. After that, I'll start adding bikes with meltaguns and another terminator squad.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

So, after looking at Daemons, I'm thinking of going Nurgle, with Ku'gath and Epidemius. Advice?

Edit: Also, do Soul Grinders fill the role of GIANT ARMORED VEHICLE well?
    Last edited by Silverlich; 2011-10-26 at 09:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229

more revisions:
    Lord Commissars cost 70 points. Do you even have the army list in front of you when you're writing these?

30. - Top - End - #1230

tongue Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Lord Commissars cost 70 points. Do you even have the army list in front of you when you're writing these?
    lol, yeah, i got side-tracked, and started reading the command company entry. consider it changed.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC