New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dragonblood Discovery (feat, PEACH)

I was thinking, hey, why not satisfy people who want a particular spell for their non-caster build? And why not make it scale too?

Dragonblood Discovery
    Prerequisite
    Cha 13.

Benefit
    Your previously unknown magical talent is unlocked in the form of the sudden surprise manifestation of a single powerful spell. Choose any sorcerer spell up to (your hit dice) / 2 - 1. You may use this spell as a spell like ability once per day. You may apply any metamagic feats to this spell, whether you have the feat or not, increasing the effective spell level of the spell like ability accordingly. As your hit dice increase, your spell like ability likewise improves. Each time you gain a hit die you may change or add the metamagic feats applied to the spell, or change the spell to an improved form of the same spell (for example, greater invisibility from invisibility) or, with DM approval, you may select a similar higher level sorcerer spell (chain lightning from lightning bolt, for example). In each case the level of the new spell, including metamagic adjustments, must be no more than your (your hit dice) / 2 - 1. The caster level of the spell like ability equals your hit dice - 2. The save DC is charisma based.

Alternatively you may select a lower level spell and use the spell like ability more times per day. For every spell level below the maximum, you gain an additional use per day. You may change this option each time you gain a hit die, even if it means selecting a lower level spell than before or even if the uses per day decrease. The adjusted spell level remains (your hit dice) / 2 - 1, even though the actual spell level (including its save DC) has decreased.

A spell with an xp cost still does so and a spell with a costly material component instead costs half that amount of xp.

Special
    When you first gain this feat you may delay your spell selection until the first time you use the spell like ability. Further changes to the spell like ability, however, may happen only when your hit dice increase.

You can gain Dragonblood Discovery multiple times. Each time you may select a different spell, or the same spell for more uses per day (the uses stack). You may likewise delay the selection of the new spell until it is first used.

Gift of the Divine
    Prerequisites
    Wis 13, must have a reason why a particular deity would favor the character.

Benefit
    Through some special event a deity grants you the ability to use a single powerful spell. Choose any cleric spell up to (your hit dice) / 2 - 1. You may use this spell as a spell like ability once per day. You may apply any metamagic feats to this spell, whether you have the feat or not, increasing the effective spell level of the spell like ability accordingly. As your hit dice increase, your spell like ability likewise improves. Each time you gain a hit die you may change or add the metamagic feats applied to the spell, or change the spell to an improved form of the same spell (for example, cure serious wounds from cure moderate wounds) or, with DM approval, you may select a similar higher level cleric spell. In each case the level of the new spell, including metamagic adjustments, must be no more than your (your hit dice) / 2 - 1.

Alternatively you may select a lower level spell and use the spell like ability more times per day. For every spell level below the maximum, you gain an additional use per day. You may change this option each time you gain a hit die, even if it means selecting a lower level spell than before or even if the uses per day decrease. The adjusted spell level remains (your hit dice) / 2 - 1, even though the actual spell level (including its save DC) has decreased.

A spell with an xp cost still does so and a spell with a costly material component instead costs half that amount of xp.

Special
    You may gain the benefit of this feat before or after the actual feat selection, due to game story reasons, subject to DM approval. In the case where you gain the benefit of the feat first, you must select this feat at the first available opportunity.

You can gain Gift of the Divine multiple times. Each time you may select a different spell, or the same spell for more uses per day (the uses stack). You do not need to make a connection with a particular deity a second time, and you gain the benefit only at the time you select the feat.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-07-30 at 08:37 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonblood Discovery (feat, PEACH)

These are cool and pretty well balanced.
    The only qualm I have is the number of uses per day. Maybe you could add an option that allows the player to leave the spell as being a weaker spell but have more uses, while more powerful spells would have less uses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Edited to allow more uses per day at a lower spell level. One spell level per use per day seemed fair. Even in the case of 3 4th level spells vs. 1 7th level spell, or 2 8th level spells vs. 1 9th, which were the most abusive examples I could think of. For some reason archmage is much harsher than this on its spell like abilities, so I dunno if I'm missing something. Perhaps due to feats such as quicken spell like ability and empower spell like ability. I'll add a clause to prevent those tricks since this feat already has ways to get your metamagic anyway.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-07-30 at 07:04 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Edited to allow more uses per day at a lower spell level. One spell level per use per day seemed fair. Even in the case of 3 4th level spells vs. 1 7th level spell, or 2 8th level spells vs. 1 9th, which were the most abusive examples I could think of. For some reason archmage is much harsher than this on its spell like abilities, so I dunno if I'm missing something. Perhaps due to feats such as quicken spell like ability and empower spell like ability. I'll add a clause to prevent those tricks since this feat already has ways to get your metamagic anyway.
    Not sure I'd necessarily use Archmage as a scale for SLA power, considering it was written early 3E before the designers had their bearings on how things should work. Your feats seem fine, though.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!