New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXXXVI

"I'll need all the help I can get. Moving around with these things-" Zee prods at the tentacle sticking out of her back. "-on the material plane is a real bother. And I can't just get up and take care of this stuff personally since I'm sort of larger than the City."

By a lot.

"Okay... well... One thing at a time. Out in National Park you'll find a man wearing a court-jester's outfit. He'll have a little king puppet on his hand. Address him as 'The Forgotten King'. Talk only to the puppet. Don't respond to the man's questions or comments, only those that the puppet makes. The Forgotten King will tell you what you need to do next. No matter how crazy it sounds follow his instructions to the word."

...that sounds...

Kind of weird.

Kara is provided with a sheepish smile. "The Stars Are nearly Right. I've woken up and I'm trying to make sure my kin don't. I'm hoping I'll be able to just go back to sleep without too much trouble."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Bye, Dipsnig says to Andy and turns back towards the deadtimed Lisor.

Viima, meanwhile, wakes up from her own nap and looks at Kara in confusion. What's going on?
    "So what was that about?" Lisor asks curiously.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

The hobbit quickly digs into his meal, dousing the pancakes with syrup before quickly devouring them, although his table manners are perfect despite the speed at which he eats. Once he finishes with his pancakes, he wipes his mouth with a napkin and turns to look at Zee, more than a little curious about this whole "That Day" thingamajig. "If it isn't too much of a bother, would you mind explaining why it would be bad if your kin woke up?"
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Prometheus spins around mere fractions of a second after the arrow hits him, not feeling any pain from the wound but sensing the direction of the attack. As he turns he draws his custom-designed pistol, drops to one knee for increased accuracy, and opens fire on the rafters. Thankfully for the Cupid, Prometheus is using suppressive fire and not actualy aiming to kill, mainly because he has yet to spot his hidden assailant.
    ------------

The tavern door swings open, and in walks a halfling hobbit. The rather short person wears a comfortable leather vest, leather half-greaves, and a red woolen cloak, as well as a backpack slung over one shoulder. The hobbit himself is a cheerful looking fellow, certainly not thin but not fat either, a long scar running across his nose and almost to his right eye, which is a bright blue color as opposed to his brown left eye.

Grinning cheerfully, he grabs a seat at the bar and looks for a waiter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    The cupid looks down at the guy who just entered from above.

He looks uptight.

And look, a cloaked giant.

Wondrous!

He draws his bow back and takes fire at Prometheus and Bellan. As always, whether they hit or not is up to you, but these are love arrows
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    ((Ooof, sorry. Internets imploded before I could post.))

Getting drunk is always a great way to ward off end of the world blues!

"Hurry," Zee calls after the dryad. One word. But the need for haste is there none the less.

She then nods to the giant and Ashley.

"Yes. If we can stop them then it'll delay the end. It isn't supposed to be happening yet. It's too soon."

Clearly that's why Zee's as shocked as she is. ...and that tendril coming out of her back still looks really weird. Almost like...

Almost as if she's nothing more than a puppet on strings. Or a lure at the end of a line.

"Off hand I know of..." one of her eyes twitches a little. "Cultists of Cthulhu are attempting to awaken him. But one of their sacrifices has escaped. A necromancer is trying to awaken..."

Zee shakes her head.

"...I'm not sure who yet. I don't recognize them. That isn't too surprising though, I've got lots of cousins. There are illithid here in the Nexus that are trying to reunite Thoon's scattered remains. Someone has glutted the blood-moon. That could very well rouse Mnomquah, which would be bad obviously. And the Creeping Fog has descended on the coast nearby. I'm not sure who summoned it, but if it sticks around too long it could wake up The One Not To Be Named."

Probably not talking about a wizard who doesn't have a nose with that last one.

Then the mistrial speaks up!

Zee offers as reassuring of a smile as she can muster.

"Just because you can't fight doesn't mean you can't help. A sharp mind is just as useful as a sharp blade. Especially in situations like these. It's going to be difficult for me to act on a small scale while I'm awake and I'll need all the help I can get. If you really want to help you can start by trying to get an idea of what we're up against here," she explains. "There's a library on Arkham Street, Philip Memorial. They're have a rare books section. Go there and tell the librarian 'K'rax-Naggath slumbers no more,' He'll give you two books and a scroll. Don't read or open them, burn them and scatter the ashes in the sea."

"I will investigate this fog, then. Such matters should be dealt with swiftly. Perhaps it would be best to inform Watchtower yourself, Zee?" Bellan suggests, standing stock-still with his arms at his sides.

Of course, that only lasts a moment. The giant gives a startled click as some sort of pointy object strikes him in the back. He whirls, eyes flicking about, and his gaze is shortly drawn to Prometheus. Bellan is suddenly struck by how... impressive human-variations can be. He looks Pro up and down before saying,

"Did you feel that also, brother human?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-07-28 at 06:45 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Right, Zee's actual body is some sort of unfathomable Far-beast.
    Those creatures have all sorts of peculiar designs and Uncle Xeni said looking at them straight on was always a terrible, terrible idea. Although it had helped him with his art.
    They also have a tendency to try to ruin the world as modern life knows it.

Which is bad.
    Definitely something Karaglen can help with, if there's ways she can stop/slow their awakening.
    "What can I do?"
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Then the mistrial speaks up!

Zee offers as reassuring of a smile as she can muster.

"Just because you can't fight doesn't mean you can't help. A sharp mind is just as useful as a sharp blade. Especially in situations like these. It's going to be difficult for me to act on a small scale while I'm awake and I'll need all the help I can get. If you really want to help you can start by trying to get an idea of what we're up against here," she explains. "There's a library on Arkham Street, Philip Memorial. They're have a rare books section. Go there and tell the librarian 'K'rax-Naggath slumbers no more,' He'll give you two books and a scroll. Don't read or open them, burn them and scatter the ashes in the sea."
    Reis shrugs, downing his wine. "Rather an odd duty, but well, it does get rather odd with eldritch horrors." He comments idly, despite the situation his face still has that little grin etched across it.

He then disappears into the outside, heading for a library.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

7. - Top - End - #367

Prometheus scowls, putting away the pistol when he sees that attempting to shoot the unseen assailant is futile. "Yes. It seems increasingly likely I will never be able to leave my home without something terrible happening-" He begins to say, but is cut short when he actually looks at Bellan. He is not particularly surprised by Bellan's bizarre form, but rather, by the fact that he finds it strangely appealing. An appeal he find very much both disturbing and fascinating. "Er..... I am Prometheus..... And you would be?"

8. - Top - End - #368

Zee wrinkles her nose a bit at the sudden interest Prometheus and Bellan have with each other... Something here is off. "Eerr... Sakura is telling them. I'm sure she can handle it," she replies with a smile.

Then more questions!

"If my kin wake up then this world will die," Zee states matter of factly.

Oh.

Well.

That would be pretty bad, wouldn't it?

Kara is given a rather enthusiastic smile. "You get a very important job," Zee declares. "I need you to stay here and keep me company. If it seems like I'm nodding off give me a good shake. I'm trying to keep my senses localized in these little puppets rather than letting my consciousness creep back into into the bulk of my body."

A pause as she ponders.

"It's like... Have you ever woken up and felt kind of frozen? And it's not until you really move around that you feel unfrozen? I'm trying to keep my body in that state of torpor as long as I can and it'll be easier if I have some company to keep my attention here."

9. - Top - End - #369

"Er, Bellan Vraal." For some reason, Bellan finds his shame-title more embarassing than ever. The giant hesitates a moment. But he says it anyway, in combination with his best flourish. Which is mostly a slight bow of his head and a risen arm that's shortly crossed over his chest.

Once finished, Bellan returns his gaze squarely to Pro's face. "The Sundered Hand. What do you think that was? Exactly?" Bellan's not certain how to proceed, but he's just trying to keep conversation flowing.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foro stretches his monkey arms and yawns as he comes out of deadtime. He smacks his lips and looks around the bar before spotting Zee. " Oh! Hi Zee-ee! What did Foro miss!? " He asks enthusiastically before hopping onto the bar.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Karaglen considers the proffered job.
    It doesn't seem particularly heroic or potentially honor-driving, but...she can detect a degree of importance.
    Since Zee's body is one of the Far-things that may be bringing doom to the world. So...helping keep that immobile-ish is probably fairly important.

And this might be serving as some faintish ploy to keep an eye on the girl, but that is fine for now.
    Mutual watching and observing; prevention.

"I think I can do that. I'll guess you...this you doesn't really need actual sleep?"
    Because that will get rid of any side guilt for continually prodding her to wakefulness.
    Absentee Spirit

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

A deep dwarf at the bar shakes off a deadtime ooze. He has a mind to beat it to kingdom come, but it zips to the back of the tavern before he can do anything.

For creatures that cause supernatural temporal slowing, they sure are fast.

He looks around the tavern, looking for anyone who might have a job...or a fight.

13. - Top - End - #373

"A poison dart or other such minor projectile intended to deliver a toxin. I am confident I will be unharmed, but.... Perhaps you should get to a hospital." Prometheus says, finding himself oddly concerned for Bellan's wellbeing, but also hoping that Bellan would leave.

14. - Top - End - #374

Zee's job for Kara is a not-at-all well hidden plot to try to keep her safe. K'rax-Na...eerr... Zee is worried about Kara. Worried about all the people she cares about here in the Nexus.

Which, admittedly, is most everyone.

But most everyone isn't already going insane.

Zee doesn't want Kara to get exposed to more crazy than is strictly necessary.

She offers a reassuring smile to the little dragon girl. "Thanks Kara! It'll be a big help. And... No, I don't actually sleep. Though I often pretend I do!"

Given her ability to be in more than one place at the same time this shouldn't come as too much surprise.

And suddenly Foro!

"Hi Foro. Just some crazy people trying to end the world again."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foro blinks and then the magma monkey's eyes start to go wide. Very wide. Like anime wide. He also starts to shake and it seems like he might explode or something.

" Adventure? An adventure? Can Foro go on adventure? " The monkey asks thrusting his face right up into Zee's.

-Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Sneaky sneaky Zee!
    But Karaglen seems rather willing to go with it.
    Has to protect the city and its innocents after all.

Just the innocents though.

She glances at a few of the various inhabitants within the tavern, before going back to Zee with the faintest vestige of a smile.
    "Okay. I can stay up for a bit too."
    Especially if she calls in some mag-

....ooooh.
    She hasn't done her proper prayers in three days. Just the rite for that woman.

The girl pales a little.
    "Excuse me."
    She's off at a run, breaking for the stairs in a hurry to find an empty room.
    Fix this in a hurry.
    Absentee Spirit

17. - Top - End - #377

Run Kara!

Flee! Flee and chat with a big dragon god!

Zee eeps slightly and back-peddles away from the flaming ape. She doesn't want her hair to catch fire. Not burning hair is her favorite type of hair after all.

"Eerr... Well. Maybe? There are lots of little adventures that need to be done. Lots of little things that might seem kind of weird and kind of crazy. But it'll stop my kin from waking up and eating everyone when they do."

Om nom nom nom!

"Do you think you can go on an adventure for me Foro?"
    Zee inquires. "It'll be really important that you do exactly what I tell you to do. If anything goes wrong it could end up really bad for you."

18. - Top - End - #378

Ashley nods. "Okay, I can do that. But..." She looks a little sheepish. "How do I get to the National Park? I've never actually been in this realm before."

19. - Top - End - #379

Zee blinks.

Then giggles.

Seeing what amounts to an eldritch abomination's finger-puppet giggling is probably somewhat unnerving.

"Right right, of course. To get to the National Park you just-"

Zee then provides accurate directions to a portion of Inside!

Hazzah!

"Just remember, only talk to the puppet. Not to the guy wearing the puppet. If you mess up it'll make things worse."

And that would be terrible.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foro nods far to much and far to fast than is strictly necessary. " Uh-hu uh-hu! Foro can do exactly that! Foro promises. So what does Foro need to do? " The enthusiastic monkey asks.

-Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Deep dwarf steps over to Zee.

"Did I hear something mentioned about adventure and things getting eaten?"

He is familiar with the receiving side of both.

22. - Top - End - #382

Ally undeadtimes and, after ordering an ale, mentally reviews her nonapocaplot options.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

23. - Top - End - #383

Ashley smiles. Directions were good to have. "Right, just the puppet. Just give me a few seconds," she says while looking at Ally, "And I'll be right there." With that, she walks over to the redhead. "Hey, I have to go do something. When I get back, you want to have a few drinks? I'll buy."

24. - Top - End - #384

The hobbit sitting at the bar finishes the last bite of his toast, and washes it down with the ale, drinking the entire pint in one gulp. "Delicious. Any chance I could be of any help in this whole "saving the world" business? Oh, and could I get a slice of apple pie?"

25. - Top - End - #385

The young woman perks up and grins at Ashley. That sounds great. I'll be right here.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

26. - Top - End - #386

Ashley gives a wide smile. "Okay! Don't drink too much while I'm gone, okay?" Unless interrupted, she leaves the tavern for the National Park.

27. - Top - End - #387

The best non-apocoplawt option is to wear a silly hat.

This is always the best non-apocoplawt option.

Zee gives Foro a rather skeptical look. While he's certainly well meaning... Even one misplaced word could be disaterous. These 'quests' need to be carried out in an almost ritualistic fashion. He really isn't the best pick of...

OH!

Wait!

He could do that!

"Okay Foro. There are going to be some really ugly monsters with tentacles that will be appearing around Inside. I'm going to need you to beat them up, okay?"

Things will begin to spill over from the Far. And someone will have to bop them. While not world-saving it will certainly be people-saving. And people are just important as the world after all. Wouldn't be a very interesting world without any people.

Oh hey!

More people who want to help!

Wow. This is going to make her job so much easier!

"Thank goodness yes. I'm going to need all the help I can get," she passes a slice of pie to the hobbit. "If you do this you're going to need to follow the instructions exactly Deviate at all and you'll be inviting disaster."

28. - Top - End - #388

"My species is seldom susceptible to such things." Bellan says, waving off Pro's concern. The giant still looks mildly confused. "But if you need any sort of help, I'll be glad to provide it." He sounds genuinely interested in helping, rather than the generic neutral tone.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-07-28 at 09:28 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #389

"Oh, I've done things similar to this before. I think I can remember a few instructions." The hobbit says, before greedily digging into his pie. After all, end of the world or no, one must have priorities and pie is at the top of the hobbit's list.
    --------

"No, I will be... Fine. Prometheus says, although in truth he's very much disturbed. Bellan might notice that Prometheus is doing his absolute best to avoid looking at the eldritch being, as every time he does he can't help but feel an intensely disturbing attraction to Bellan. "Um.... Might I ask what you're doing here, sir?"
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-07-28 at 09:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

Foro grins. " Foro is good at that! Should Foro start right away? " He asks hopefully his tail twitching and wrapping around his staff. It tosses it into the air with a spin before Foro reaches up and snags it.

-Nexus Characters