New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXXXVI

Mister Skin adjusts places his hat back on his head, pulls up a chair, and takes a seat in a suitably dapper fashion.

"Rude? Sir, her outburst was rude. I merely requested that she be silent until she calms down. I'm sure she will as soon as she realizes that her favorite uncle isn't here to cause any trouble," Mister Skin replies smoothly. His voice carries with it an almost hypnotic effect to the end that disagreeing with him might make one feel rather silly.

He gives Harnel a rather thoughtful look.

"Mmm... My niece has worked on you before, hasn't she? And then unwove the changes. You didn't find them satisfying?"
    he takes a pipe out of his coat pocket and begins to fill it. "I can't imagine the quality would be below standards. Her work is quite flawless."

Zee finally manages to get her mouth open. Yay! It does in fact look like she has calmed down a bit. "Iog-Sotot is my favorite uncle, actually. He has some degree of respect for my relationships with the mortals. Unlike you."

Her tone is rather... bitter...

Mister Skin just shakes his head. "Tch tch tch. My that temper of yours. Just like your Mother. Too much passion if you ask me. You need to calm yourself."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

"It isn't that I disliked the changes as I wasn't completely comfortable with them." Harnel says, "What concerns me now, though, is your reason for being here. My understanding was that Zee was the only one of your... species... to have a human shape." It's clear from Harnel's tone that he uses the term species rather looseley. Probably for good reason.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

Niara takes three large steps backwards, clinging her hand to her shoulder and taking a deep breath. Playing along seems to be the only thing to do in the current situation.

"That's... that's quite alright," she replies, her voice quivering slightly. "Anyway, don't let me stop you catching up with your niece. I'm sure you've got a lot to chat about."
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Garrett comes downstairs, rubbing his neck where the wound once was, glad that most of his sensory nerves are deadened to sudden signals, and stumbles across the floor to the bar.
    "Zee...Cosmo...Paige...someone...that crazy chick still has my magic steins...can I get a good wake-up drink? Preferably something spicy? And some bamhacon and abyssal nuts...and a cinnabon...make that twelve...soooooo huuuungryyyy..."

Garrett almost rolls over out of his stool the second he sits in it.

"And has anyone noticed the weather outside?"
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

5. - Top - End - #545

Zee crosses her arms behind the counter and looks rather pouty. The look isn't too different from a child who has just been told that it's time to turn of the video games and finish their homework.

"Of our various progeny 'Zee' is easily the most flexible. Her father wasn't of our kind, you know. Vastly powerful yes, but not one of us. I suspect that may explain some of her eccentricities. Of the Young Ones she is quite unique in her qualities. However,"
    Mister Skin pauses to lite his pipe and takes a deep puff. Then points at himself with the stem. "My siblings and I are not constrained in the same way our progeny are. Form is of little real meaning to us."

So he can look like whatever he wants.

"And why I'm here? Too meet some of my nieces' friends of course, just as I said. There isn't an unreasonable chance that most if not all of you will be killed when Young Ones awaken, conversation will be hard when you're a cadaver. And as clever as my niece is I have the feeling that she won't be able to postpone that little dinner date this time," he waves one hand dismissively. "Terribly sorry about all that. But there's little I can do. Kids will be kids after all. They just get too restless if they're kept inside for too long."

He takes another puff from his pipe.

"I'm sure you understand."

When Garrett appears Zee will quickly gather his food quickly and offer it to him on a tray. And at the same time leans in close to whisper, "Stay away from the guy in the white suit. He's bad news." she then coughs rather audibly to try to get Niara's attention.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes ma'am," Garrett mumbles before chowing down like a starved dog.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

"That... does raise the question of who her father is." Harnel says, "Or rather, what, would be more appropriate."

"for that matter, I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name is Harnel. Yours? And please, not an alias. I've had too much to deal with in the way of false names today."

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

The cough is more then enough to get Niara's attention. The woman slowly treads her way over to the bar as Mister Skin continues his spiel about the Young Ones.

That certainly explained what she'd noticed about the Nexus before arriving.

"I've decided I don't like your uncle," she murmurs to Zee. "Or his tie, for that matter.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

"Mrrr."

Curled up in a tight ball on one of the tables is a certain black cat. The kitten is in a deep Slumber, and is currently dreaming of dead cities. It's a rather restless sleep, but one that it cannot awaken from on its own. At the moment, anyway. Apparently utterly silly quests can have legitimate outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

The front door of the tavern swings open and in walks Raril. The drow was smiling, and looking to share some good news with his wife. Pausing inside the door, he scans the room, looking for Zee.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

11. - Top - End - #551

Mister Skin gives THAT CAT a passing glance.

He could wake the feline up. But that would be directly interfering in the work of his niece. And if there's anything he doesn't like it's people mucking up the work of others. He has no vested interest in That Day happening right now. He can wait a few millions years if K'rax manages to postpone it.

Not in any hurry at all.

"Oh, not at all,"
    Mister Skin replies to Harnel. "I'm surprised she hasn't told you herself. It's a subject she's quite passionate about, really," he takes another puff on his pipe. "A being that I have never seen before, of course. But what of his power I can find mingled with Ragnnora's is quite curious. A strange little tingling feeling you mortals call love. I suspect that's why she's so keen on you all."

Mister Skin tips his hat to Harnel when introductions are in order! "A pleasure, sir. But sadly titles are all I have. Just all the various things you mortals call us. We don't have names because there was, quite frankly, no one to name us."

"He does have a horrible taste in ties," Zee agrees with Niara, trying in vain to suppress a giggle. Though she gets serious in a hurry, peering really close at Niara. A few seconds later she breaths a heavy sigh of relief. "He was telling the truth, he didn't do anything to you."

She sounds very glad to have discovered this.

And then Raril!

Zee waves at him exuberantly from behind the bar!

...she has a weird tentacle thing sticking out of her back and extending through the wall. Which only ever shows up when Zee is far more manifested on the material plane than she usually is. And NEVER to this degree.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2011-07-29 at 10:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

"In that case, what is a title that's been given to you?" Harnel asks. he's hoping for something that he recognizes. It's extremely unlikely, but there's a chance

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril crosses the room to Zee. He leans on the bar and smiles at her. "Hello, dearest." The drow greets her, before giving a curious look to the odd tentacle and leaning close to whisper "Ah... I think your mask is slipping."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Despair just looks confused.

Everyone dying? Would someone care to explain what's going on?

He's still openly wielding a sword and shield.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

And Niara is very glad to know she's not been tampered with, too! Another hefty sigh and she lets her hand flop to her side. Even has the courage to look at it and see there's nothing wrong.

"Now, if I could just get a glass of wine, I'll be going. Over there." She points over to the far corner of the tavern, which is likely no safer a vantage point than anywhere else in the place. But the distance would make her feel a lot more comfortable.

16. - Top - End - #556

Despair is given a cough for attention much as Niara was. Zee is probably willing to explain.

Niara is given a knowing nod and handed a whole bottle of wine along with an empty glass. "Sorry about startling you. It's the least I can do to make up for it."

Aww...

Zee is so nice!

Raril is flashed a sheepish smile when he points out the obvious. "I knoooow... The Stars Are Right and I'm wide awake. I can't hide the physical connections to the rest of me at the moment."

That's... uuh... really bad. She's probably explained before more or less how bad this is.

"I've got heroes running all over the Nexus right now trying to seal up various Old Ones before they wake up too. If I can pull this all together I should be able to postpone That Day by at least a few thousand years. Maybe more."

She then coughs rather awkwardly.

"And my uncle came to visit!" Zee nods at the Egyptian looking fellow in the snappy white suit. "Isn't that nice, Raril?"

Her tone suggests that this isn't nice at all, but it would be lethal not to play along.

Meanwhile!

Mister Skin strokes his King Tut beard thoughtfully. "Dear me, well... In no particular order I'm known as Mantorok, Nyarlathotep, The Corpse God, The Faceless God, The Black Mist, The Black Trickster, He Who Waits At the Crossroads..." he shakes his head. "Plenty of others."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2011-07-29 at 11:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

As Zee speaks, Raril's smile slowly disappears from his face. This was really bad news. He had to do something, he had to help...

Wait, Uncle?

The friendly smile returned to the Drow's face, though not from any feeling of mirth. It was a ruse, a mask to be worn to hide one's true feelings. Raril turns to face Zee's relative, just in time to hear that long list of titles.

This was going to be interesting.

"Oh yes, dear." He agrees carefully. "Should I go over an introduce myself?" or would running and hiding be the best option?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was hoping for one I recognized, but clearly I'm not as much a scholar as I might be if i was an actual scholar," Harnel says, chuckling, "In any case, as long as you're not here to cause trouble, then i suppose there's nothing I can, or should do to you currently. now, if you'll excuse me, i have to talk to Zee about stopping the end of the world."

Harnel makes a gentlemanly bow, then moves over to Zee, "Good afternoon. I heard you have an apocalypse for us to stop, relating to him, among others," Harnel hooks a thumb back towards Mr. Skin.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, I... thank you..."

Niara very much enjoyed Zee's wine recommendation last time, and so a whole bottle is truly a gift. She swiftly steals away to the corner, where she settles herself down into a nice, big, cushy blob of deadtime.

20. - Top - End - #560

Mister Skin tips his hat to Harnel. "Best of luck to you, young man. You may very well be able to pull it off with my niece helping you, I have the utmost confidence in her abilities."

He then takes a swig of his gin and tonic that he didn't have before.

Running and hiding wouldn't be a terrible idea. Normally you might think it would offend someone, but offending a thing that completely lacks human emotions is kind of hard.

"Yes! That would be great,"
    Zee replies to Raril in her usual mirthful tone. "My uncle wanted to meet my friends before they're all defiled and devoured by the Old Ones when they wake up. I'm sure he would really enjoy your company!" she then adds in a rather playful voice. "Just be mindful about haggling with him! He's great at getting what he wants!"

Meaning?

Do not make any deals with him or your soul and worse will be forfeit.

Then Harnel asks a question!

"Yeeeeaah," comes the drawn out reply. "Technically my uncle doesn't have much to do with the Apocalypse proper. He'll just clean up after it. Provided we don't manage to put a stop to it. Which I really hope that we can."

Zee takes a deep breath.

"There are Old Gods that need to be sealed so they won't wake up. I can't do it myself. But I can tell others how. It's imperative that my instructions are followed exactly. A single misstep could cause disaster."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2011-07-29 at 11:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Harnel nods. "This is what WATCHTOWER is for. Tell me what has to be done, and I'll take care of it."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril nods, understanding, then turns to approach Mr. Skin's table. "Good evening, sir." The drow begins politely. "I've been told you're Zee's uncle. My name is Raril Xar'Cha. I'm Zee's husband."

Raril doesn't offer the man his hand, knowing just what contact with a being like him could do. The drow had enough trouble getting rid of the taint from Vice.
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2011-07-29 at 11:36 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

On the bar sits a bowl of apples. Odd that no one has noticed it before. It's clearly been there the whole time. People's inattentiveness aside, beside the fruit bowl are two additional pieces of fruit. One a shriveled and dry apple, the other a pale yellow pear... wearing a black cloak?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Despair does in fact edge his way over to Zee and Harnel, though he does try to be discreet about it. Granted, we're talking about a Heavily-armored skeleton with glowing red eyes, a very recognizable shield, and a bared sword. So discreet might be the wrong word.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Haruki walks in looking nice and angelic as he usually does, then sits at the bar. He orders a drink nonchallantly and then looks to the side. He notices what appears to be a pear. Wearing a black cloak. And then he stares at it. For a long time.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

The pear stares back... Or at least it could be interpreted that way. In reality it's just a finely dressed fruit. Fruit can't stare. Though, if Ruki blinks he will notice that there is suddenly one less apple in the bowl, and another shriveled apple sitting by the first.

Odd.

27. - Top - End - #567

Haruki continues to stare at the pear. And then he scratches his head. This is quite odd indeed. The Angel nonchallantly reaches out to grab an apple from the bowl and takes a bite from it, putting it down on the table a moment later. Near the pear.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

The apple is set down. The pear does not react because it is a pear. Simply a fruit. Obviously nothing spooky or ominous about it.

29. - Top - End - #569

But the Angel turns around. For just a few seconds. Then he turns back to look at the pear.

30. - Top - End - #570

Heavily armored skeletons with glowing eyes and drawn weapons really do tend to stick out.

Zee gives him an uncertain look.

"What can you do... Umm..." she blinks. "I'm... not really sure. I'll need to think about it. These little quests tend to be really picky about who gets sent on them."

Or in other news Rebo will have some ready come tomorrow!

Meanwhile!

As soon as Raril announces who he is what looks like a genuine smile spreads across Mister Skin's face. "So you're the lucky man."

He looks Raril up and down before giving a slight whistle.

"Girl's got odd taste. Not even any tentacles. But hey, so long as she's happy, right?" he pushes a chair out from the table with his cane for Raril to sit in. "Have a seat my boy, tell me a bit about yourself. Don't worry about being too in depth, I'm sure we'll get a chance to chat again. Even if this world goes to hell in a hand-basket she'll no doubt go out of her way to preserve and protect you."