New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXXXVI

The pear is still just a pear, with a cloak. Clearly it hasn't moved because it is an inanimate piece of fruit. Though, the apple Ruki had previously bitten is as drained as the other two on the bar.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Haruki continues to stare, then licks his lips as he does so. He is kinda hungry. And pears are quite tasty. He reaches out to grab it.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril takes the offered seat, frowning slightly. Mr. Skin's wording had him somewhat nervous. Preserved was not necessarily the same as alive. The last time Zee had tried something like that, Vice had been set loose. He gives no other response to the statement, instead electing to answer the question.

"I'm a musician by trade, as well as a businessman and sometime adventurer. Though, I'm doing much less of that than I used to. That's how I met Zee, through adventuring."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

The pear is picked up. I'm sure if it was sentient it would protest, but it is not. Because it's just a pear of course. A rather tasty looking, well dressed pair.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

"So... you don't quite have something for me yet then, huh?" Harnel says. He is very clearly tweaked by the fact that there's an undead being standing next to him - Harnel absolutely detests undead.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Meanwhile, Kara and Xeni are still seated at the bar.

At some point, when Zee's mouth had vanished, Kara had snarled and started to stand up, only to find a very abnormally large, gray hand clasped over her shoulder.
    Xeni had dipped into his natural form, that of a doppelganger, and held her in place.

He felt something wrong with her, not what, but that it was there.
    And having her rush off towards this Mr. Skin seemed like an incredibly bad idea.

Especially after he rattled off his titles.
    Xeni blinks.
    Then blinks again.

The Nyarlathotep? Mantorok?
    Oh yes, very good that he stopped Kara.

"Kara, whatever he does, I want you to stay far away from him. I don't care if he rips any of us apart. Do not catch his attention."
    With that, he carefully picks her up by her dress and places her in a stool on the other side of him.
    Away from Mr. Skin.

She clings to her sword, of course, but Xeni doesn't bother trying to take it from her.

Instead, he's looking to Zee with a rather intent look in his eyes.
    He just learned several interesting things in a very short period of time.
    Hopefully the barmaid is paying attention. The mage wants answers.
    She's given several reasons, already, but still.
    "Zee. I can't possibly imagine idle curiosity about the local gossip brought that particular creature here. Just how bad are things, at this precise moment?"
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

7. - Top - End - #577

"......"

......actually, the Angel doesn't really like the taste of pear. So he puts the non-sentient fruit down on the table. And then he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a peeler. Yes, of course he was carrying one. Who doesn't these days? And then he presses the peeler against the pear, still not peeling yet.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

The peeler is pressed against the pear. It would be quite alarmed if it was capable of being alarmed. As it is, the pear sits motionless. Being a pear and all, you know?

9. - Top - End - #579

"OK, you are quite honestly the most annoying pear I have ever met," says the Angel with a frown. "And I've met a lot."

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

The pear does not respond to Ruki. How rude... Or maybe it can't speak? Yeah, that's probably it.

Meanwhile a breeze enters the tavern through an open window. The pear's cloak flutters ominously.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Barbarian in the Playground

The one and the same, Xeni. The one and the same.

He probably wouldn't have killed Kara if she attacked him. Or twisted her into a dark willed, ever hungering undead mockery of herself. Or what have you. He's in no danger here. No reason at all to fight anyone, quite frankly.

To Harnel's question Zee just shakes her head. "I can't hand out anymore quests. Not today. These things are very particular about how they're carried out."

Weird Eldritch rituals.

Zee bites her lip at Xeni's question. "My uncle is fascinated by mortals. Just... not in the same way I am. It's more of a morbid curiosity."

Like how he's planted the seeds of knowledge in humanity for the creation of fission weapons. Making mortals more self-destructive is his cup of tea.

"How bad... well... It could be a lot worse. We've got a very real chance of postponing That Day by a few thousand years at least."

Zee sounds like she thinks that the Nexus can really pull it off!

Meanwhile!

Mister Skin is rubbing his beard thoughtfully.

And then his eyes get a little wider.

"Oh... OH! I remember you now. I've met you twice through some of my lesser aspects," Raril might get a flash of recollection.

A horrible undead abomination with an endless abyss for a face.

"Sorry about any permanent mental scarring that might have caused. Had to make good on those protection deals. Nothing personal, all in good business. I'm sure you understand."

He waves one hand dismissively.

"Though I must say it's quite a bit nicer talking to you in a more relaxed setting. You certainly seem like a reasonable enough mortal."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    The pear does not respond to Ruki. How rude... Or maybe it can't speak? Yeah, that's probably it.

Meanwhile a breeze enters the tavern through an open window. The pear's cloak flutters ominously.
    ".....oh. You can't speak? Hey, don't you flutter your cloak at me! I'll take a bite out of you if you try anything weird. Yes, I mean it. I've eaten lots of fruit before. It's nice and sweet." He looks at the shrivelled up apples.

"......but you already know that, I think."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril's red eyes go wide as he recalls the creatures he's faced. More accurately, he remembers the terror and the hopelessness, the encounters themselves were vague in his mind, likely locked away from his consciousness just to protect what was left of his sanity.

Seemingly frozen to the spot, the drow whimpers.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Karaglen proceeds to look confused, glancing back from Zee, to Xeni, to Mr. Skin, and then back to the first two.
    Uncle Xeni already seemed a bad sort of serious, which he almost never is, she remembers, even if she hasn't seen him in years.

This seems slightly uglier than she had gathered from Zee earlier.
    Then again, she wasn't entirely with it earlier.

Xeni frowns a little, giving Zee a somewhat hard stare, then looking back towards her "uncle", if he can be properly called that with his Far beings work.
    "I didn't ask how good things are. Don't sugar coat this for me.
    What's moving? How close is this to blowing up?"

He really is not this serious very often.
    Only happened two or three times prior, near someone he utterly despised.
    Her name is Mai, and she murdered his effectively-if-not-literally wife, at least once.
    Absentee Spirit

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

The pear neither confirms nor denies this claim. It simply sits very still. Somewhat like a pear would. Makes sense, considering that the pear is just that, a pear.

16. - Top - End - #586

Haruki picks up the pear again. "Oh, yeah? Fine, refusing to answer at all? Well, you know what? I'm actually pretty hungry! And pears don't taste so bad!"

The Angel licks his lips again and then opens his mouth, bringing the pair towards it to take a bite.

17. - Top - End - #587

Zee bites her lip and looks down at her feet.

...fiddles with the tendril sticking out of her back a bit.

"How bad?" she repeats in that dumb sort of way people do when they really don't want to explain something.

But suddenly!

"Sweet-pea? I think I broke your husband."

That gets Zee attention instantly.

"Raril!"

Over to the drow she darts, intent on grabbing him chair and all before scooting him far away from Mister Skin. Once she has him a decent distance away she'll turn the chair around and kneel down so she's looking directly into her husband's eyes.

"Come on Raril, please don't lose yourself. I need you here. I can't do this without you."

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Very suddenly there is not a pear at all in Ruki's hand. One would venture to call it thin air. Another breeze comes in through the window, scooping up a wisp of smoke that was most certainly not there before and carrying it out another window. The dastardly vampoire has escaped!
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-07-30 at 01:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589

"......well, that was odd," says the Angel. A moment later an NPC brings him a big plate of food. A very, very big plate of food. "Oh, well. I guess I can live without pears. They don't even taste that well......"

Haruki starts eating from his plate, in between noms, he pauses and thinks. Well, that pear did look nice and ripe and tasty and.... he's rather curious about what it would taste like. "Must take bite out of that pear sometime."
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2011-07-30 at 01:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

After a long moment, Raril blinks. It takes him a second to realize what was going on, but then he tries to pull Zee into a hug.

"I'm sorry" He whispers. "I'll try to be stronger for you."

But when facing down such terrible things, Raril really didn't know how long he could last. He knew his mind, as honed as he'd tried to make it, was a fragile thing.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Harnel doesn't say anything when Zee rushes off to help her husband - it's what he would have done for Cessie, so he's got no room to complain about being left back over here... with the skeleton in the armor. What's with that thing?

Harnel glares at despair.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Xeni frowns more deeply as Zee proceeds to completely dodge his question.
    Sure, she had an excuse, going to help her husband.
    But she still didn't answer when she could.

"Kara. I know Zee told you to keep her awake.
    Keep doing that. But make sure to make sure she doesn't start doing anything unusual, or starts to look more tentacley."

Karaglen proceeds to look extremely confused.
    That sounds like a not-quite-warning about Zee.
    She was a friend (even if she did want to take her sword) right?

But...Uncle Xeni tended to know what he was talking.
    And he seemed really serious right now.
    He didn't say to avoid Zee. Just to...watch her better.

"I'm going to send out a little...copy of myself, to dig around the city a little bit. Find the answers she isn't giving me.
    I might be a little distracted, but I'll still be right here if you need me. Just give me a shake or shout, okay?"

"Yes Uncle Xeni."
    "Don't be so formal, kiddo. You're cuter when you're not.
    We'll figure things out. Fix it.
    No worries."

And with that, there's a little flash of blue from the man's eyes, before he leans forward on the bar-top, curls his hands under his chin, and proceeds to go into what looks like a trance.

Karaglen fidgets a little, feeling just a little worried.
    She was feeling kind of lost at sea here, in the midst of something big she didn't understand, that she wasn't sure she wanted to.
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #593

As Raril puts his arms around her he'll inevitable brush against the umbilical sticking out of Zee's back and connecting her to the rest mindbogglingly vast and presently out of sight body. Richly textured like the bark of a gnarled, ancient tree. And yet smooth as glass.

Feels like the Far Chimera's skin.

Raril's hug is returned with fervency and relief. "Please don't scare me like that... I can't lose you. Not now," Zee whispers back, her voice about to break with tears.

She's...

Under a lot of stress right now.

Quite literally has the weigh of the world on her shoulders.

Mister Skin watches the exchange with at least some degree of curiosity. He has absolutely no idea what the emotion those two are feeling right now might be like. It's a concept as alien to him as his warped aberrant mind would be to any mortal in the room.

Can't help but grin. Such a unique creature, that girl.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not going anywhere." Raril promises, squeezing Zee tighter. "Nothing could keep us apart for long. No matter where I am, or what I'm doing, I am always thinking of when I would next see you, of how I will get back to you. Zee, I love you. And nothing in this world, or beyond it, will change that." The drow assures his wife.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #595

Yay hugs.

A little reassurance and pep-talking is exactly what Zee needs, all things considered. It feels like everything is being dropped on her all at once. The responsibility is downright crushing. "Thanks Raril," is her simple reply.

During this time it would appear as though Mister Skin has vanished.

No poof of smoke. No crazy portal.

Just quietly ceased to be in Trog's as soon as people took their eyes off him.

He's sneaky like that.

And Raril's little speech sounded an awful lot like a challenge...

Mister Skin always loves a good challenge. When you're a near omnipotent thing it can be difficult to find them sometimes. Though first he'll need to come up with some ground rules for himself... Can't make this too easy.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

The drow smiles at his wife. He could see that she was feeling strained, but he was glad he could cheer her up a bit.

"Is there anything you'd like me to do?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #597

"For now?" Zee replies with a slight grin. She loops the tendril under herself and sits on the thing like a hammock. "For now company would be great. I can't give any more binding instructions until tomorrow. And a whole slew of Old Ones are still stirring. I'm wide awake and trying not to move and starting to get kind of crampy and I think someone built a city on top of me."

That's some list of problems.

She glares at the spot Mister Skin was.

"At least my uncle left. With any luck he'll never come here again."

Zee breaths a sigh of relief at that thought.

"I should have mentioned that he was the faceless thing we fought. Or... at least it was a small piece broken off of him. Should have known he would bring that up. I was so stupid for not warning you..."
    she grumbles, thwacking herself on the forehead a few times.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    "I think the first would be best. Even if I believed myself capable of losing my memories, I would rather keep the few that I have."
    "Well, the first involves mental alterations, therapy, and other techniques to bury your urge to Seek." Bellan says.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril gently reaches to stop Zee from hitting herself, trying to take her hands in his. "It's alright. I'm fine. I was just... startled. I'd never realized what those things really were. I try not to think about them."

That her uncle had disappeared was a point of concern, but one Raril did his best to hide. Had the man simply decided to leave them alone? Or did he have other things that pulled him away?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

30. - Top - End - #600

Zee's hands are caught!

Which results in Zee giving her husband a sad smile. "Yeah... I can imagine why. I hate how much crazy stuff I put you through. And yet you love me enough to persevere through it. That means a lot to me."

D'aaww...

A need to be somewhere else really isn't something the Primordials experience. They aren't exactly limited by time or space or size. So if Mantorok chose to remove his aspect from Trog's there was some reason for it. Probably a malignant reason.

Zee reclines a bit on her aberrant hammock, kicking her feet idly in the air. So many things running through her head all at once. All the Old Ones that are still asleep. All the ones that need to be sealed. The ones that need to be sealed quickly... So much to account for.

And if she misses even one.

K'rax shudders involuntarily.

A shudder that sends a tremor through the earth itself.

The bottles on the shelf behind the counter rattle at the weak quake.

Which results in Zee biting her lip, looking over her shoulder at the rattling booze, and whimpering a pathetic, "...sorry about that..."

Her left eye twitches a bit. Then she begins scratching at her leg. Which doesn't seem to be helping with whatever itch is bugging her. This fact seems to be making her increasingly frustrated.