New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Mass low-level healing, low ECL

I'm looking for a way for a pair of ECL 6 (maximum) characters to heal up to 300+ low-level mooks (5 HD tops) out of combat. The timeframe here is basically 1 day, i.e. a full complement of casting and a good night's rest. Is there anything I can check out besides Mass Lesser Vigor?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Mass low-level healing, low ECL

A single level of dragon shaman will give you the Vigor aura, letting you grant fast healing 1, though only up to half maximum health. Should at least let you manage a great deal. Note: Many people will tell you you can pick this up with a feat, they are wrong. You could no more take this aura than a marshal aura by feat.

A single bard level will net you healing hymn at the cost of fascinate. It boosts healing spells and importantly, if used before rest counts as an extra full day of resting.

3. - Top - End - #3

Oh yeah, how could I forget? There's pretty much no way of optimizing that aura though, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Clerics could check out Sacred Healing (the one in Complete Divine, not PHB2) for Fast Healing 3 on as many targets as you can cram in a 60 ft. burst.

Also, if you're looking at more "healing as many targets as possible in a day" as opposed to "heal as many targets as possible in a round", you could use Touch of Healing (Complete Champion) to heal people all day and never run out of spells (only up to half HP, though).

5. - Top - End - #5

Shy of taking more levels of dragon shaman which is a total waste. Assuming sufficient downtime fast healing one is plenty to do the job up to half; certainly out of combat.

If numbers are your problem the diffuse aura feat (I want to say fiendish codex II but don't quote me on that) doubles the range of your aura.

Other than that, mass healing ain't easy.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

A 5th level Binder with the improved binding feat and Buer could heal 1hp/round all day long.

Dragon Shaman 1/Binder 5 would heal everyone within his aura to half health just by existing, while simultaneously healing one mook per round.

That comes out to an indeterminate amount of passive healing from the aura and 7,200 HP of active healing from Buer in a 12 hour work day.

Assuming 5 d10 HD, with an average of 47 HP (16 CON), and regaining to half HP from the aura before the Binder gets down to work, that comes out to ~300 mooks a day.

I just noticed that you allow two characters. That makes it even easier.
    Last edited by subject42; 2011-07-26 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Alternately, if a Binder won't do, try this:

A Druid 6 with 18 wisdom and the spontaneous rejuvenation class feature would be able to manage the following:

Sacrifice a spell to grant fast healing equal to the spell level to all allies in a 30' radius for 3 rounds.

A Druid 6 with 18 Wisdom gets 4 level 1 slots, 4 level 2 slots, and 3 level 3 slots. That's 63 healing per ally each day.

Since it's a 30 foot radius, that's 48 squares.

If you can fit one person in each 5' square, it's 3,024 points of healing.

If you can fit two people in each 5' square, it's 6,048 points of healing.

If you can fit three people in each 5' square, it's 9,072 points of healing.

And so on. Your only limit is how friendly your mooks are.
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Combining methods of natural healing may work for you. Note that topic would be thread necromancy to revive, but it's a good resource for this.

Particularly useful things include:

-Summon Elysian Thrush (Spell, Bard 2 / Cleric 2, SpC): Summons a bird that doubles natural healing
    -Healing Hymn (ACF, Bard 1, CC): 8 hours of rest counts as 24 hours of bed rest
    -Healthful Rest (Spell, Bard 1 / Cleric 1 / Druid 1, SpC): Doubles natural healing
    -Restful Candle (Nonmagical item, AEG): Doubles natural healing rate, I think
    -Bitterleaf Oil (Nonmagical item, RotD): Increases HP healed overnight by 1/level (max +5)

That's a pretty good overall combo, especially for healing an army of NPCs.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

9. - Top - End - #9

The problem with those however is that the thrush only manages a 30ft radius, and "healtful rest" only targets 6 things with ECL6

Dragon Shaman route is quicker than the Touch of healing route to the same end as it requries no actions and you can effect multiple targets at once.

Healing very large numbers of people beyond that is going to be very difficult and binder may well be your best choice for doing it in a manner that doesnt consume all your daily/financial resources.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Kobold (RotD WE) Crusader6 with the Martial Spirit Stance and a large source of Trees (or whatever) can heal 10hp/round to any ally within 30'. Just watching the scaled guru do kung-fu will heal his milling followers.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

11. - Top - End - #11

And unfortunately is entirely questionable by the rules. If your Gm lets you get away with this however, this is fantastic and available in a weaker form right from crusader 1.

As an added bonus the kobold part is optional, make it a warforged Crusader 1 (maybe even one of your mooks) and he can punch those trees all day long.
    Last edited by Luca; 2011-07-26 at 02:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingPirate

According to the rules, it is fine. It is entirely questionable according to things like common sense and balance.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

And requires trees to be statted as something you can punch, could you point me to their statblock, I can't find it.

-Edit, at the very least the second paragraph indicates you must be attacking "opponents"
    Last edited by Luca; 2011-07-26 at 02:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    And requires trees to be statted as something you can punch, could you point me to their statblock, I can't find it.

-Edit, at the very least the second paragraph indicates you must be attacking "opponents"
    I thought you would never ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Trees

The most important terrain element in a forest is the trees, obviously. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. The trunk of a typical tree has AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree. Medium and dense forests have massive trees as well. These trees take up an entire square and provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. Like their smaller counterparts, it takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2011-07-26 at 02:55 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I thought you would never ask.
    Won't you eventually run out of trees, or is mitigating damage the reason you're a very small race?

Also, does Martial Spirit consider an attack "successful" if you don't overcome hardness/DR?

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Won't you eventually run out of trees, or is mitigating damage the reason you're a very small race?

Also, does Martial Spirit consider an attack "successful" if you don't overcome hardness/DR?
    One of the reasons. The other is that they have 3 natural weapons, allowing for 5 attacks per round. Combined with the strength penalty, he is unlikely to overcome DR (but a hit is a successful attack), and even if he does, 150hp/tree is going to take a while to go through.

Of course, if this is a marauding band of dwarves, then we don't need Kobold, but we might dip a level of Barbarian for Whirling Frenzy. And, in that case, invigorating the troops by killing those treacherous and vile trees, is like beer mixed with more beer.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    I'm looking for a way for a pair of ECL 6 (maximum) characters to heal up to 300+ low-level mooks (5 HD tops) out of combat. The timeframe here is basically 1 day, i.e. a full complement of casting and a good night's rest. Is there anything I can check out besides Mass Lesser Vigor?
    Binders (Buer) and Crusaders (Martial Spirit) are the best bet, but if those troops are undead then a single casting of Black Sand that kills something should get you plenty of sand, which gives them all Fast Healing 1.

JaronK

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

An alternate would be Binder 5 with Tenebrous instead of Buer. Use your rebukes 1/5 rounds to power a stream of Healing Devotions and give everyone in your army fast healing that they activate with their own swift actions whenever they need it. (see the description of Healing devotion in Complete Champion to get why this can get absurd.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

If you need the characters only for that, then the vivacious creature template (planar handbook i think) could work. If you want to use the characters for other things then its LA+5 would very much cripple you.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

I forgot that Buer has a 1/ 5 round ability that heals 1d8 + Binder Level hitpoints.

If we're using DS 1/Binder 5, that's an average of 9.5 healing every five rounds, or 1.9 a round.

Assuming a 12 hour work day again, that takes your mook total from ~300 to around 570 per healer.

21. - Top - End - #21

Bearing in mind the Dragon shaman aura is hitting as many mooks as you can cram in 30ft (I think) as possible. Double if you can spare a feat.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

This might help. Hardly comprehensive, of course, but it should help.

EDIT: Damn, swordsaged with my own thread!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-07-26 at 08:45 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Combining two of the ideas, why not a Binder 5 with Tenebrous plus the Sacred Healing feat? You could fit about 200 to 300 beds in a 60 foot burst. You'd have all the mooks healed up in a few minutes, even with a low charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

24. - Top - End - #24

I was thinking of that, but isn't the CD Sacred Healing updated and replaced by the PHB2 one?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    I was thinking of that, but isn't the CD Sacred Healing updated and replaced by the PHB2 one?
    It looks like just a goof. They look like two completely different feats which happen to have the same name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

You could fit more mooks in by buildingg a sphere with the Dragon Shaman at the middle so that you get mooks healed above and below you in addition to those at the same level of sea level as you.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Shape Soulmeld (Lifebond Vestments) feat. It allows you to heal up to 1/2 your HD to any target, once per hour (+5 points per point of essentia you can invest in the soulmeld, if you've got any). You take half of the healing (round up) in damage yourself, but it's a net gain in HP, especially if you've got an easy way of healing yourself.

Also, if you take the Draconic Aura feat from Dragon Magic (or was it Races of the Dragon?), it is arguable that you can choose any Dragon Shaman aura, including the vigor aura. If you're dragonblooded, the fast healing from this aura also increases as you go up in level (though it still caps at 1/2 HP).
    Last edited by kestrel404; 2011-07-27 at 09:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

As a cleric, take the touch of healing reserve feat. You can heal your entire party for up to half their hp by merely touching them.

29. - Top - End - #29

So, assuming I'm going Dragon Shaman 1/ Binder 5 with Sacred Healing, what would be good feats to take besides, well, Sacred Healing, Able Learner (to make that Heal 8 ranks prereq) and Improved Binding? It's going to be a non-combat NPC so the usual fillers don't really make sense...

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGuy

Favored Vestige (Tenebrous) and Rapid Recovery might not be a bad idea.