New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [PF] pounce+flyby attack

Flyby attack allows you to take a standard action during a move action while flying.
    Pounce allows you to take a full attack instead of a standard attack after a charge.

I suspect the answer is no, but can these two be combined? I.E. fly 40 ft, full attack, fly 40 ft.

I'm building a synthesist summoner at lvl 5, so flight and lots of attacks make the questions relevant.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] pounce+flyby attack

No, you cannot. A charge is a special full-round action (pounce lets you do more at the END of said full round action). A fly-by-attack is a special full-round action that happens to let you split up your movement into two parts.

These are two seaprate, completely unrelated actions. A special ability modifies the first one will no way give you any benefit for the latter. Even if fly-by-attack is somehow a charge, Pounce still wouldn't help. The wording's just not there. It doesn't turn a full-attack into a standard action.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I thought so, just hoping against hope. Oh well, charging and getting 5+ attacks at lvl 5 is still pretty good. (Weapon + 4 natural)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

You could take martial study (sudden leap) to clear a little distance between you and your target after a charge once per combat though.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingPirate

Boots of the Battle Charger (MIC) allow you to make a Charge as a Standard action limited times per day. You actually will get extra movement out of the deal, since they allow you to move your speed as part of that standard action
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2011-07-27 at 02:32 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Except that everyone thus far has failed to acknowledge that a Flyby attack can be treated as a charge.... There is nothing in the rules that I know of that says you can't charge while flying. Flyby attack is essentially spring attack for flying creatures. No where in the rules does it say you can't use spring attack with a charge. Thus pounce as an ability can be made with flyby attack.

From the Rules Compendium:

Pounce: Pounce
    "When a creature that has this extraordinary special attack
    charges, it can still make a full attack even if it charged while
    restricted to a single action. All its attacks receive the +2 bonus
    on attack rolls gained from charging. If it uses its attacks to
    successfully start a grapple, and it has the rake ability, it can
    also make rake attacks."

This is an extraordinary special attack that applies to any type of charge done.

From the section on Charge: "Flying during a Charge
    A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack
    works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a
    minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make
    only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage."

Flyby Attack (from MM) "The creature can attack on the wing: Prerequisite: Fly speed, Benefit: when flying the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack. Normal: without this feat the creature takes a standard action either before or after its move.
    Last edited by Xtomjames; 2011-07-27 at 04:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Flyby attack allows you a STANDARD action during the movement. charging requires FULL ROUND ACTION. Not compatible. Understand?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

it specifically says it includes a "dive" which is the flying equivalent of a charge, and all you need to use pounce is to have charged, i fail to see where a full round action is required, there is a full attack, but no full round action

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aquaticrna View Post
    it specifically says it includes a "dive" which is the flying equivalent of a charge, and all you need to use pounce is to have charged, i fail to see where a full round action is required, there is a full attack, but no full round action
    A dive attack is different from a dive.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingPirate

That is why I recommended the Boots of the Battle Charger. Without those, or a similar effect, the action types are different. A charge is usually a FRA including movement and an attack (or full attack if pounce is involved). Flyby attack requires a separate move and standard action. This is incompatible with a usual charge action. The Boots 'fix' the charge action to a standard, allowing you to use it in conjunction with Flyby Attack.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Flyby attack allows you a STANDARD action during the movement. charging requires FULL ROUND ACTION. Not compatible. Understand?
    Uh...you're failing to miss the point. You see flyby attack with a DIVE is treated as a CHARGE thus you use a FULL ROUND ACTION to move up to the creature and ATTACK. Flyby attack as a feat allows you to use a Standard Action while moving. Since a full round action with a Charge is moving up to the creature and Attacking, what flyby attack would do is if you decide to Dive, as in a charge, and then decided half way through that you're not going to and then decide to make another action instead, like a standard attack or something else. They can be used together, I never said they were Effective when used together.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xtomjames View Post
    Uh...you're failing to miss the point. You see flyby attack with a DIVE is treated as a CHARGE thus you use a FULL ROUND ACTION to move up to the creature and ATTACK. Flyby attack as a feat allows you to use a Standard Action while moving. Since a full round action with a Charge is moving up to the creature and Attacking, what flyby attack would do is if you decide to Dive, as in a charge, and then decided half way through that you're not going to and then decide to make another action instead, like a standard attack or something else. They can be used together, I never said they were Effective when used together.
    It seems that flyby attack only works during a move action. Charging is a full round action. Moving during a full round action is not the same as taking a move action.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well if you graft wings onto an Ashworm and your an Ashworm Dragoon Flyby Attack can be used to make a full attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".