New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Geomancy: Controlling the Ley Lines [3.5, PEACH]

So, a couple of days ago I got this idea for having a class that could affect the battlefield directly, sort of like creating Geo Panel-like effects from Disgaea (a game I loved, especially the Geo Panel mechanic). Eventually I came to realize that I don't like playing with miniatures enough to really like making an actual Geo Panel substitute, so I started playing with the ideas, and I came up with this system.

It's a little bit weird, because of how the system works, but I like it. Using this system makes the player a battlefield controller, in a somewhat literal manner. There's much less hacking and slashing or throwing fireballs with this system, and a lot more changing the rules on the fly. I think it's intuitive enough, but I'll probably need to explain some things. I'm still working out some of the details, but if you guys have any ideas, feel free to share them.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Geomancy: Controlling the Ley Lines [3.5, PEACH]

GEOMANCY
    “My Lord, I’ve never seen anything like it. The woman… she was something more than human. I thought she was just a traveler, ‘cause of her outlandish clothes, but by the Fire, she was amazing. When the first screams about the troll started, she simply grasped her hammer and walked out. Just like that. No hesitance, no waiting, just picked up the hammer and left.

Now, the troll was a big one, bigger than we’ve seen in a while. It had already torn into Old Tom’s ox, and everyone was afraid of it. Any time someone brought fire to it, it’d chuck a big piece of wood at them. Poor Gale… I can’t believe she got hit.

But, when the traveler woman walked out, she didn’t have fire or nothing! She just walked out, stood a fair distance away for a moment and closed her eyes. I thought she had a death wish, bless me heart, but after she stood there a moment, she walked right up and clobbered the troll in the face.

The troll did not like that. It immediately swiped at her, and she just stood there! That was the truly amazing part, my Lord. The troll swung its huge arm, and the traveler woman didn’t flinch one bit. Even as the troll was wailing on her, she stood her ground.

And nothing happened! The troll even looked confused. After that whole beating, the traveler woman brushed off her shoulder, and then, quick as a whistle, slammed her hammer into the troll again, but this time she let it go and then pulled out a piece of flint! As she slammed the flint on the hammer, the troll lit up in a huge blaze.

Now, don’t get me wrong; I know trolls hate fire and that it just eats them up, but this was a piece of flint and steel! And the whole troll erupted into flame, just like that! If that wasn’t some kind of magic, I don’t know what it was.”

~ Meredith Almstead, recounting her encounter with Alextrus, the Geomancer

The basics of geomancy are controlling the natural terrain to create an advantage. This includes physically transforming the terrain, but also creating supernatural effects which only take place upon certain spaces.

Geomancy is something of a subtle art, though that is not to say that all of its effects are subtle. The effects that a Geomancer can produce are usually intangible, though very useful. Geomancy is not about flash, not about producing a bang. It is about providing benefits to ones allies, about making a terrain as useful as possible, and about keeping enemies at bay for as long as possible.

GEOMANCY
    The art of Geomancy is a subtle one, drawing on the energies of leylines, mystical channels of natural energies which run throughout the planes, in order to gain greater control over the world itself. Those who tap into such power control the energy, acting as a conduit for the energy, drawing it out of their natural confluences into the rest of the world.

Geomancy grants those who practice it the ability to reshape the world around them, both on a physical and on a metaphysical level. This is not merely the working of arcane magiks, however, with their esoteric movements and ineffable phrases; Geomancy is more basic than that.

With their power, a Geomancer is able to create Fields. A Field is a general term for the effects of the preternatural energies that the Geomancer controls and exudes. When a Field is created, the Geomancer has drawn forth the energy of a leyline, shaped it into some kind of trait, and imbued the world around her with said trait. This can be as simple as altering the world itself, such as by erecting stone barriers, to as complicated as forming areas where magic simply cannot function.

FIELDS
    Fields are the most basic, and the most complex, power that the Geomancer can control. It is the core of their art and from whence they control their might. Fields are as they sound: they are areas which the Geomancer creates, which infuse the terrain with energy. Fields are not solely the domain of Geomancers, as many other practitioners of magic have long understood the advantage of having a wide area of effect. What makes the Geomancers different is that the Fields created by a Geomancer are charged with power from a local source; there is no simple limit to the power they can draw, only the power that they can control.

Fields come in one of two types: physical and metaphysical. A physical Field, as one might suspect, alters the actual terrain, imposing either barriers or anomalies which create a more efficient battleground for the Geomancer. Metaphysical Fields are less obvious, and involve changes to the manner in which reality works while within the Field.

Field Levels: Each Field has a level, which is an indicator of how much power has been invested in the Field. Most Fields, at weakest, are only Level 1, meaning that they can be maintained fairly easily. A Geomancer has the option of increasing a Field’s level, but doing so means that it requires more of the Geomancer’s focus to successfully maintain the Field.

Maintaining a Field: The Geomancer can maintain a Field fairly easily; all it requires is that she use some form of action to do so. As the Geomancer grows in level, she learns how to maintain more powerful Fields, or many Fields at once, more easily. Mechanically, this equates to the number of Field Levels that the Geomancer can maintain by a single action. For ease of reference, the following table shows how many Fields can be maintained by the Geomancer for each level.

{table]|Field|Levels|Maintainable|By Action
    Level|Swift Action|Move Action|Standard Action|Full-Round Action
    1|0|1|1|3
    2|0|1|2|4
    3|0|2|2|5
    4|1|2|2|5
    5|1|2|3|6
    6|1|3|3|7
    7|2|3|3|7
    8|2|3|4|8
    9|2|4|4|9
    10|3|4|4|9
    11|3|4|5|10
    12|3|5|5|11
    13|4|5|5|11
    14|4|5|6|12
    15|4|6|6|13
    16|5|6|6|13
    17|5|6|7|14
    18|5|7|7|15
    19|6|7|7|15
    20|6|7|8|16[/table]

As can be seen, the Geomancer can usually maintain a fair amount of Fields at one time. Using a Full-Round Action to maintain a Field always results in an extra Field level being able to be maintained above and beyond if the Geomancer had used a Move and a Standard action individually to maintain the Field.

Notably, these are Field Levels, not the number of Fields that can be maintained. As such while a Geomancer could potentially simply overlay a large number of weak Fields, they are more likely to be desiring to bump the levels of individual Fields to more powerful levels so that they are more effective. Doing so is as simple as upping the level of the Field, but it does come with some consequences.

First off, higher level Fields must be maintained by a single action. This comes into play when maintaining very high-level Fields. At 20th level, the highest level that a Geomancer can maintain without using a Full-Round Action is 8. So, if the Geomancer were to advance a Field to level 9, she would have to use a Full-Round Action to maintain it, even if she only wanted to maintain that single Field. So, at 1st level, unless using a Full-Round action, the Geomancer can only maintain level 1 Fields.

Field Area: Every different type of Field possesses a certain range that it affects. A Field like Sublime Protection generally has a rather large area, whereas others, such as Pinprick of Death have very small areas. The size of an area cannot usually be voluntarily made smaller, unless it is by using certain class abilities. The only exception to this are Fields which have the (Malleable) descriptor. These Fields have specific ways in which their area can be altered, as noted within the text.

Geomancer Limit of Power: The Limit of Power is a term which designates how much the Geomancer can affect. This increases with level, allowing the Geomancer to grow from only affect an area of 30 feet at 1st level to being able to spread effects up to 600 feet at 20th level. It is also affected by how much energy the Geomancer can channel through her body.

What the Limit of Power actually is is the absolute distance that a Geomancer can cause a Field to extend. A Geomancer has the choice of playing the center of emanation of a Field anywhere within her Limit of Power, but if the Field would extend beyond the Limit of Power, it instead stops at the edge of the Limit of Power.

Because the Geomancer acts as a conduit for the ley line, there is only a certain distance that they can extend their power. As they grow in level, the amount of refining that the Geomancer can produce in the ley line’s energy is reflected in the wider Limit of Power.

The Limit of Power is equal to 30 feet per level the Geomancer possesses. A high Constitution score can also allow for an increased range of Limit of Power, which increases as the Geomancer gains higher and higher levels. For ease of reference, the following table has been constructed.

{table]Level|Limit of Power|Constitution Bonus|==>|==>|==>|==>|==>|==>|==>
    ||10-11|12-13|14-15|16-17|18-19|20-21|22-23|24-25
    1|30 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|10 feet|10 feet|20 feet
    2|60 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|10 feet|20 feet|30 feet|40 feet
    3|90 feet|0 feet|0 feet|0 feet|10 feet|20 feet|40 feet|40 feet|60 feet
    4|120 feet|0 feet|0 feet|10 feet|10 feet|30 feet|50 feet|60 feet|70 feet
    5|150 feet|0 feet|10 feet|10 feet|20 feet|40 feet|60 feet|70 feet|90 feet
    6|180 feet|10 feet|10 feet|10 feet|20 feet|50 feet|80 feet|90 feet|110 feet
    7|210 feet|10 feet|10 feet|20 feet|30 feet|60 feet|90 feet|100 feet|130 feet
    8|240 feet|10 feet|10 feet|20 feet|30 feet|70 feet|100 feet|120 feet|140 feet
    9|270 feet|10 feet|20 feet|20 feet|40 feet|80 feet|120 feet|130 feet|160 feet
    10|300 feet|10 feet|20 feet|30 feet|40 feet|90 feet|130 feet|150 feet|180 feet
    11|330 feet|20 feet|20 feet|30 feet|50 feet|100 feet|140 feet|160 feet|200 feet
    12|360 feet|20 feet|20 feet|30 feet|50 feet|110 feet|160 feet|180 feet|210 feet
    13|390 feet|20 feet|30 feet|40 feet|60 feet|120 feet|170 feet|190 feet|230 feet
    14|420 feet|20 feet|30 feet|40 feet|60 feet|130 feet|180 feet|210 feet|250 feet
    15|450 feet|20 feet|30 feet|40 feet|70 feet|140 feet|200 feet|220 feet|270 feet
    16|480 feet|30 feet|30 feet|50 feet|70 feet|150 feet|210 feet|240 feet|280 feet
    17|510 feet|30 feet|40 feet|50 feet|80 feet|160 feet|220 feet|250 feet|300 feet
    18|540 feet|30 feet|40 feet|50 feet|80 feet|170 feet|240 feet|270 feet|320 feet
    19|570 feet|30 feet|40 feet|60 feet|90 feet|180 feet|250 feet|280 feet|340 feet
    20|600 feet|30 feet|40 feet|60 feet|90 feet|190 feet|260 feet|300 feet|350 feet[/table]

LEY LINES
    The source of a Geomancer’s power are the ley lines, natural currents of energy which run through the earth, the sea, and the sky. But, what exactly is a ley line?

To be perfectly honest, the answer is difficult. Analogies have been made to ley lines being the veins and arteries of a world, but this is not completely accurate. Other analogies have tied ley lines to the ordinary magical flows which course through the world, but again, this is not completely accurate. There are even some who believe that ley lines are power made manifest through sorcery, something like the remains of the weave the gods used to craft the world. All are incorrect.

In truth, there is no one answer. Ley lines are a concentration of energy, both natural and artificial at the same time, which flow through geographic features of the world. It has been widely noted that ley lines can be attributed to extended growth, both good and bad, and heartier beings growing in areas in which ley lines are closer. Civilizations have long, both consciously and non, built along ley lines, using the natural energies to better their society. In the same way, powerful sorcerers have sometimes learned to tap into those ley lines to fuel their incantations, and it isn’t unheard of for a necromancer to channel the power of a ley line into his creations, empowering them.

The Geomancer is a purer user of ley lines, but still interacts with them in about the same way. What a Geomancer does is draw the natural, raw, unforged energy of the ley line into their bodies, and then shape the resulting power to produce an effect, in the form of a Field. The more power they can channel, the more Fields they can create, and the more powerful Fields they can create.

DEFENDING AGAINST FIELDS
    Fields are interesting in that there is no real manner to defend against them. Fields provide no saving throws, are not affected by power or spell resistance, and immediately begin to affect a creature or object as soon as they move into its area.

Indeed, the only truly easy way to defend against a Field is to assault the Geomancer, since she is the focus of the effect. If the Geomancer cannot maintain her Fields, then Fields immediately break down. Such a weakness is what usually gets taken advantage of: attack the Geomancer, end the effect.

The other matter that makes Fields a tricky prospect for the Geomancer is that many of the more powerful Fields require a long period of time before coming into effect, often several rounds. The Geomancer can avoid this by spending Field Levels simply to reduce the time it takes for a Field to come into effect, but that limits the number of Fields that the Geomancer can bring into being. As such, the Geomancer is often left at her most vulnerable when she is creating her most powerful Fields.

CONJURING FIELDS
    Even though a Geomancer is a conduit for the power of ley lines, she is not perfect. It takes time to channel the power and shape it into a definable form. Even at her most efficient, Geomancer’s require at least one round to fully create a Field, but higher Level Fields usually take longer for the powers to settle into a detailed form. The amount of time is noted on the following table.

{table]Field Level|Time for Field to Form
    1 - 3|1 round
    4 - 6|2 rounds
    7 - 9|3 rounds
    10 - 12|4 rounds
    13 - 15|5 rounds
    16 - 18|6 rounds[/table]

The table can further be extrapolated, with every higher Field requiring an additional round to form.

There is, however, a way to reduce this time. By dedicating more of her concentration and focus to refining a ley line’s energy, the Geomancer can form the Field in a shorter time. In game terms, but sacrificing additional Field Levels, the Geomancer can cut the time it takes to form a Field. As is normal for Fields, the total Field levels must be maintained using the same action (so, if a 12th level Geomancer wants to form a Level 6 Field, she would have to use a Full-Round Action to do so, because only by using a Full-Round Action can she maintain at least 6 Field Levels at once). For every Field Level sacrificed in this way, the amount of time it takes for a Field to form is reduced by 1 round, to a minimum of 1 round.

So, let’s say that Gertrude, a 12th level Geomancer, wants to form an Abrasive Band. It is only a Level 1 Field, so it doesn’t take much. But, Gertrude wants to make it more powerful, so she bumps the Abrasive Band to Level 5, making it much more effective. However, she doesn’t want to wait two rounds for the Field to form, so she decides to sacrifice a Field Level to form the Field more quickly. Since the total number of Field Levels being used to form this Field is 6, she has to use a Full-Round Action to form and maintain the Field. Even though on subsequent rounds she isn’t technically focusing her energy to form the Field more quickly, that extra level spent on forming the Field remains occupied maintaining the Abrasive Band, because it was used in that way earlier.

In addition to being able to form Fields more quickly by sacrificing Field Levels, all Fields possess a “universal accession.” By increasing a Field’s level by 1, the Geomancer can double the area of the Field. This allows her to affect a wider radius, and increases her power overall.
    Last edited by Domriso; 2011-09-10 at 03:07 PM.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Come see my Homebrew!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

FIELDS
    Field entries are written in a specified format. The different lines are explained below.

Type: Whether the Field is a Physical Field or a Metaphysical Field. This also includes any subtypes of the Field, such as (Malleable).
    Field Level: This is the level of the basic Field effect. Increasing the Field Level will usually produce more powerful effects.
    Accumulation Period: This is the number of rounds that a Field takes before its effects become active. During this time, if the Geomancer stops maintaining the Field, the effects simply never appear.
    Area: This is the size of the Field itself. A Field usually has a radius which emanates from a single point. That single point can be placed anywhere within the Geomancer’s Limit of Power, so long as the Geomancer has line of sight to the point. The Field will bypass all forms of barriers, as the power permeates physical and metaphysical boundaries by the very nature of its energies.
    Effect: This is the exact effects while within a Field. Note that, as soon as a creature enters a Field, they are affected by the Field.
    Accession: The Accession of a Field is the amount that it can be empowered through increasing its Field Level. This entry includes what variables change, and how much the Field Level is increased.

ABRASIVE BAND
    Type: Metaphysical
    Field Level: 1
    Accumulation Period: 1 round
    Area:: 30 foot radius
    Effect: While within this Field, all damage dealt to another creature or object from a physical source (such as a weapon, a punch, an arrow or the like, but not from fire, cold, force, or drain) deals 1 additional point of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 2d8+3 changes within the Abrasive Band to being 2d8+5.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by 1. So, the attack which normally deals 2d8+3 points of damage increases to 2d8+7 damage while in a Level 2 Abrasive Band Field. This Field has no level cap.

ABSENCE ZONE
    Effect: While within this Field, all creatures possess a 5% miss chance for all attacks made against them. This does not stack with miss chances from other sources.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the miss chance granted by this Field increases by 5%. This Field caps out at Level 10 with a 50% miss chance.

ACERBIC LAYER
    Effect: While within this Field, all acid damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d8+1 points of damage changes to 3d8+7.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d8+1 damage increases to 3d8+13 points of damage. This Field as no level cap.

ACOUSTIC PRESENCE
    Effect: While within this Field, all sonic damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d12+1 points of damage changes to 3d12+7.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d12+1 damage increases to 3d12+13 points of damage. This Field as no level cap.

ANTIPODEAN ENCLOSURE
    Field Level: 4
    Accumulation Period: 2 rounds
    Area:: One 5-foot square
    Effect: All spaces within this Field are treated as being an Antimagic Field. Spells cannot be cast, magical effects already in place on a creature or object are suppressed, and magical items cannot be activated.
    Accession: This Field has no special enhancements.

BLUNDER EXACERBATION
    Effect: All attack rolls made within this Field receive a -1 penalty.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the penalty to attack rolls while within the Field increases by -1. This Field has no limit.

BULWARK MOXIE
    Field Level: 2
    Effect: All creatures within this Field gain a +2 bonus to their Fortitude saves.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to Fortitude saves increases by +2. This Field has no level cap.

CEREBRAL REFUGE
    Field Level: 3
    Area:: 20 foot radius
    Effect: All creatures within this Field increase their Power Resistance by 5. For creatures without Power Resistance, treat them as if they possessed Power Resistance 0.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 3, the increase to Power Resistance increases by 5. This Field has no level cap.

CONJURATION BLOCKADE
    Effect: This Field prevents summoned creatures from passing through its borders. No creatures may be summoned within the Field, and any attempts automatically fail.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 5, this Field also prevents called creatures from entering the Field. Otherwise, called creatures can pass through the Field normally.

CONVINIENT DEVELOPMENT
    Effect: All creatures within this Field receive a +1 bonus on all attacks of opportunity they make.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, this Field provides an additional +1 bonus on all attacks of opportunity. This Field has no level cap.

CRIPPLED SAFEGUARD
    Effect: While in this Area:, all creatures have their Damage Reduction (if any) reduced by 1. This cannot lower any creature’s Damage Reduction below 0. If a creature has multiple Types of Damage Reduction, it lowers the highest form of Damage Reduction. If the first Type of Damage Reduction is reduced to 0 and there is still a penalty, the next highest Damage Reduction they possess is lowered by the remainder.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, Damage Reduction within the Field is reduced by 1 additional point. This Field has no cap.

DENSITY GROUND
    Effect: While within this Field, all objects have their Hardness increased by 1, and all creatures gain Damage Reduction 1/-. This does not stack with damage reduction from another source.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the additional Hardness granted by this Field increases by 1, and the additional Damage Reduction granted by this Field increases by 1/-. This Field has no level cap.

DETRIMENTAL AGGRAVATION
    Effect: All damage dealt within this Area: deals -1 less damage for every die rolled. This Field can lower a the damage dealt to a minimum of 1 per die.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, damage dealt within the Field is reduced by an additional -1. This Field has no level limit.

DILATORY STRIKE
    Effect: While within this Field, creatures cannot take Full-Round actions. No other actions are inhibited by this ability.
    Accession: This Field cannot be increased to any special effect.

ESOTERIC AEGIS
    Effect: All creatures within this Field increase their Spell Resistance 5. For creatures without Spell Resistance, treat them as if they possessed Spell Resistance 0.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 3, the bonus to Spell Resistance increases by 5.

GALVANIC TERRITORY
    Effect: While within this Field, all electricity damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d4+1 points of damage changes to 3d4+7.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d4+1 damage increases to 3d4+13 points of damage. This Field as no level cap.

HALENESS BANE
    Effect: All damage dealt from a physical source while within this Field is increased by +2 per die rolled. So, if a creature took 2d4+3 points of damage from a source, they would instead receive 2d4+7 damage while within this Field.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the additional damage dealt while within this Field increases by +2. So, if a creature received a blow which dealt 3d4+2 points of damage, it would instead deal 3d4+14 points of damage while in this Field. This Field has no level cap.

HALTING RING
    Effect: This Field prevents Outsiders from passing through its borders. No Outsiders may cross through, nor may they be summoned within the Field. Outsiders currently hidden, such as by possessing another creature, are still hedged out, but they can attempt to hide their presence as normal (such as by forcing a creature to not walk into the Field if they are possessing it);

HOLOCAUST SPHERE
    Effect: While within this Field, all fire damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d2+1 points of damage changes to 3d2+7 while within a Holocaust Sphere.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d2+1 damage increases to 3d2+13 points of damage while in a Level 2 Holocaust Sphere. This Field as no level cap.

IMPASSIBLE BARRIER
    Type: Metaphysical [Malleable]
    Effect: This Field creates an Area: which cannot be walked through, erecting an invisible wall. The Field can be shaped to create a pocket inside, or to create a maze-like function, so long as the total Area: of the effect remains a 30-foot radius. Spaces which do not prevent access do not count as being part of the Field. Spaces which do prevent access cannot be entered in any way, and effectively are impossible to harm. These spaces are invulnerable to damage, block spells, powers, and other supernatural effects, though teleportation effects can bypass the spaces. Spaces affected by this Field show no obvious sign of their being a force field in question.

IMPELLING INTERUPTION
    Effect: Projectile attacks, including breath weapons, arrows, bolts, spells, powers, supernatural abilities, and anything else which requires a ranged attack roll to succeed or attacks a distance and travels through space, has their range decreased when passing through this Field. For every 5-feet the attack travels through this Field, it counts as 10-feet. As such, some attacks may not be able to strike a target if they have to pass through the Field, and some may reach their next range increment more quickly.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the amount of decreased range projectile attacks receive while passing through this Field increases by 5-feet. For every 5-feet that a projectile weapon travels through this Field, it counts as traveling through 15-feet for cases of range increments or maximum range. Every 2 additional Field Levels increases this penalty by an additional 5-feet. This Field has no level cap.

INTUITIVE SECURITY
    Effect: All creatures within this Field gain a +2 bonus to their Reflex saves.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to Reflex saves increases by +2. This Field has no level cap.

INUNDATION EXPANSE
    Type: Physical (Malleable)
    Area: 30 foot radius
    Effect: When forming this Field, choose four 5-foot squares within range. These squares change from whatever material they had been into water. The water is not terribly deep, but the squares can be placed under one another to create a water tunnel. Any creature which is standing on a space which is changed into water may make an Reflex save (DC equal to 10 + ½ the Geomancer’s level + the Geomancer’s Wisdom modifier) to jump to the edge of the area and land on solid ground. Otherwise, they plummet into the water.
    Accession: This Field has no special enhancement.

INVOLUNTARY LEAP
    Area:: One 5-foot space
    Effect: When a creature steps on the space affected by this Field, they are suddenly flung very high into the air. They immediately must make an Acrobatics check to jump in whatever direction they were moving. They count as if they had a running start. The creature receives a +3 bonus to their Acrobatics check for this check. Furthermore, the creature’s Armor Check Penalty, if any, does not apply to this check, though if the creature is wearing no armor or is wearing an armor with an armor check penalty of 0, the bonus to their Acrobatics check from this space is doubled.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the bonus to Acrobatics checks increases by +3. This Field has no level limit.

NULLIFICATION ZONE
    Area:: One 5-foot square
    Effect: All Area:s in this Field are treated as a Null Psionics Field. Psionic powers cannot be manifested, psionic effects already in place are suppressed, and psionic items do not function.

NUMINOUS TABOO
    Effect: While within this Field, no supernatural abilities may be used. Effects that are the results of supernatural abilities already in effect remain in place, but no additional supernatural abilities may be used.

PERMAFROST REGION
    Effect: While within this Field, all cold damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d3+1 points of damage changes to 3d3+7.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d3+1 damage increases to 3d3+13 points of damage. This Field as no level cap.

PRECISION CIRCUIT
    Effect: All creatures within this Field receive a +1 bonus to their ranged attack rolls.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to ranged attack rolls while in this Field increases by +1. This Field has no level cap.

PROBABILITY JUNCTURE
    Effect: All creatures within this Field receive an additional attack of opportunity per turn.
    Accession: By increasing the Field Level by 1, this Field provides an additional attack of opportunity per turn. This Field has no level cap.

QUARANTINED ENDOWMENT
    Effect: While within this Field, no spells can be cast and no spell-like abilities can be used. Magical effects already in place remain, but no spells or spell-like abilities may be used.
    Accession: This Field has no special level enhancements.

REBUFFING BUFFER
    Effect: All creatures within this Field receive a -1 to their Spell Resistance. This Field cannot lower a creature’s Spell Resistance below 0.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the penalty to Spell Resistance increases by -1. This Field has no level cap.

REFLEXIVE SHIELD
    Effect: All creatures within this Field gain a +1 bonus to their Armor Class.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to Armor Class increases by +1. This Field has no level cap.

RESPLENDANT GYRE
    Effect: While within this Field, all radiant damage dealt to another creature or object deals +2 additional points of damage per die rolled. Thus, an attack that is normally 3d2+1 points of damage changes to 3d2+7.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the extra damage dealt by each die increases by +2. So, the attack which normally deals 3d2+1 damage increases to 3d2+13 points of damage. This Field as no level cap.

RIGOR QUARTER
    Effect: All creatures within this Field receive a +1 bonus to melee attack rolls.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to melee attack rolls increases by +1. This Field has no level cap.

SEALED FACULTY
    Effect: While within this Field, no powers may be manifested, and no psi-like abilities may be used. Psionic effects already in place remain so, but no additional powers or psi-like abilities may be used.
    Accession: This Field has no enhancement effects.

STYMIED MOBILITY
    Type: Physical
    Effect: When moving through this Field, every 5-feet moved counts as 10-feet moved. If a creature can move only 5 feet or less, then they cannot move into a square affected by this Field.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 3, every 5-feet moved counts as an additional 5-feet. So, if this Field is raised to Level 6, moving 5 feet counts as moving 15 feet. If this Field is raised to Level 9, every 5 feet moved counts as moving 20 feet.

TENACITY SAFEGUARD
    Effect: All creatures within this Field gain a +2 bonus to their Will saves.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the bonus to Will saves increases by +2. This Field has no level cap.

THAMATATURGIC EMPOWERMENT
    Effect: While within this Field, all creatures possess a +1 bonus to their Effective Spellcasting Level.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 4, the bonus to the Effective Spellcasting Level of all creatures within the Field increases by +1.

TRANSMUNDANE INVESTITURE
    Effect: While within this Field, all creatures possess a +1 bonus to their Effective Manifester Level.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 4, the bonus to the Effective Manifester Level of all creatures within the Field increases by +1. This Field has no level cap.

VELOCITY SECTOR
    Effect: Every creature within this Field has all their movement speeds increased by 5 feet.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 1, the bonus to all movement speeds granted by this Field increase by 5 feet. So, a creature that has a movement speed of 30 foot radius within a Field Level 2 Velocity Sector possesses a speed of 40 feet. This Field has no level cap.

VERBODEN AVIATION
    Effect: While within this Field, no flight, extraordinary or otherwise, is possible. Creatures with fly speeds find they cannot lift themselves, magical flight spells no longer seem to work, and the powers simply seem imposed. Lifting is still possible, such as through telekinesis or the like, but overt flying is not. If a flying creature enters the Field, it immediately falls, taking damage as normal.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 8, nothing may soar through the air while within this Field. Projectile attacks simply fall when they strike the Field, telekinesis becomes useless, and everything supernaturally held aloft sinks to the ground. This is exceedingly dangerous while on naturally floating isles, for if the Field extends to engulf it, the isle will fall.

WARP FACTOR NINE
    Area:: 30 feet
    Effect: When creating this Field, select two different 5-foot squares within the Area: of this Field. Those two spaces are now designated the “warp points.” When stepping on either of these spaces, a creature immediately moves to the other space. If another creature already occupies that space, then the two creatures switch positions (though, this specifically does not lead to an infinite loop).
    Once warped, the creature immediately ends their action.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 2, the Field contains 2 additional 5-foot squares which count as warp points. When there are additional warp points, each is designated a number upon creation. When a creature steps on a warp space, roll a die corresponding with the number of spaces. The creature warps to one of those other spaces. If it is already occupied, then the two creatures instead switch places. In the case of there being 14 warp spaces, roll 2d8, with all the numbers corresponding as normal, except that a roll of 15 equals the space numbered 1, and a roll of 16 is simply rerolled. In the case of there being 16 warp spaces, roll 1d20, rerolling any numbers above 16.

WEIGHT EXAGGERATION
    Effect: While within this Field, all weight is doubled. This can impede flight, movement, carrying capacity, and the like as normal for possessing excess weight.
    Accession: By raising the Field Level by 4, weight inside the Field is instead tripled. This Field’s level can be raised more, with every additional 4 levels increasing the increased weight by another factor (so, by raising the Field Level by 8, weight is quadrupled, by raising the Field Level by 12, weight is quintupled, &c.).
    Last edited by Domriso; 2011-08-03 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Updating the Box

Come see my Homebrew!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

ABUSING LEY LINES
    Ley lines, while powerful, are not unlimited in scope. While it is nearly impossible for a single person to draw enough power from a ley line to destroy, or even warp it, the physical world can only sustain so much metaphysical enhancement before the laws of reality begin to bend.

Overlapping Fields is possible, and it is often practiced, but it can be taken too far. If five or more Fields ever get overlapped, even if it is only over a single space, then the ley line from which power is being drawn becomes skewed, the powers merging together and losing their cohesion. When this happens, strange effects often occur when additional Fields are formed, sometimes disastrously.

Whenever five or more Fields become overlaid, the ley line becomes Abused. Because most ley lines affect relatively large areas, ranging in miles, the entirety of the ley line is not abused, but only a small portion of it. Assume that a radius of 200 feet per overall Field Level (adding all the Field Levels together) from the overlapping section where too many overlapping Fields is Abused. An Abused ley line usually requires an hour or so without anyone attempting to draw power from it before it returns to normal.

When forming a Field by drawing power from an Abused ley line, roll on the following chart. You roll 1d20, and add +1 to the roll for every Field over the five needed to abuse the ley line (so, if there were 7 Fields overlapping each other, you would roll 1d20+2, and if there were 10 overlapping Fields you would roll 1d20+5, and so forth).

{table]Number Rolled|Effect
    1|Nothing: The Field Forms as usual
    2|Visible: The Field is accompanied by some form of perceivable trait, such as everything within it being colored a certain hue, an obvious buzzing noise, a strange smell, or even a subtle vibration
    3|Diminished: The Field’s level is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    4|Shrunken: the Field is half as large as it should be
    5|Empowered: The Field’s level is increased by 1, with no maximum
    6|Enlarged: The Field is twice as large as it should be
    7|Mudslide: The ground within the Field is turned into thick mud, which impedes movement as normal; this does not affect stone, metal, or other materials, only dirt
    8|Shifted: The Field’s center point is shifted a number of feet away equal to 3d6 x 10 feet in a random direction (roll 1d10, with the following directions applying: 1 - North, 2 - South, 3 - East, 4 - West, 5 - North East, 6 – North West, 7 – South East, 8 – South West, 9 – Straight up, 10 – Straight down)
    9|Negated: The Field does not form at all
    10|Summoned: Instead of forming a Field as normal, a creature is summoned in the area in which the Field should have formed; the creature has a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the Field and acts as normal, assuming a hostile attitude to all creatures it perceives)
    11|Draining: The Field forms as normal, but any creature who stays within the Field takes 1d8 points of nonlethal damage per round
    12|Growth: The Field forms as normal; in addition, however, plant growth within the Field is hyper-accelerated, causing vines and other plants to suddenly surge up, entangling everything within; this entanglement remains even after the Field is allowed to dissipate
    13|Persistent: The Field does not end when the Geomancer ceases to maintain it; it instead remains for a number of rounds equal to the Field’s Level
    14|Thanatos: The Field forms as normal, but all creatures within it take 1d8 points of untyped damage every round
    15|Subjective: The Field forms as normal, but the area within the Field is treated as possessing the Subjective Gravity trait
    16|Returning: The Field forms as normal, but creatures who perish within the Field rise the next round as a zombie
    17|Obscuring: The Field forms as normal, but air within the Field becomes clouded, acting as heavy fog
    18|Explosion: The Field does not form as normal; instead, the area within the Field explodes with energy. All creatures within the Field take 6d6 points of untyped energy damage; the Field then ends
    19|Airless: The Field forms as normal, but all air within the Field is immediately pushed to the edge; it returns immediately upon the Field ending
    20|Undying: The Field forms as normal, but creatures who perish within it return to life the next round, with 1 HP[/table]

When rolling for the Effect of forming a Field that draws on an Abused ley line, the roll does not occur until the Field is just about to appear. In other words, characters have no idea what is likely to happen until the Field has already appeared.
    ---

That's all I was able to come up with in the last hour, but I'll update it later when I think of more. Feel free to interject with your own ideas!
    Last edited by Domriso; 2011-08-02 at 05:45 PM.

Come see my Homebrew!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Reserved for any additional material.

All free to post now (and I need to go put in the basic rules...)!

Come see my Homebrew!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, Dorismo! Decided to throw your hat in the homebrewing ring again after the Rune Magic thing, huh? Good to see! And I'm actually a rather avid fan of Disagea myself (Mao is all the awesomeness of a preteen boy, mixed with all the hilarity of a viewpoint that demons are good and heroes are evil, combined with serious character development, and wrapped up in Vic Mignogna's amazing voice acting [That's a lot of awesomeness])

So you want to what, exactly? Be able to make certain 5' squares buff and others debuff at will? Seems...well, kind of slow, to be honest. I hope you come up with a good way to implement it, and remember that most combat generally lasts between 5-8 rounds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, no worries. I've got a whole bunch of homebrewing to throw out here. Just doing it in layers. This one just caught me by surprise (I wasn't planning on this one, it just popped into my head).

And, yes, five by five squares would be very slow. I realized that rather quickly when I started trying to figure out logistics (my first mental playtest was terribly boring). Wait until I have the basic rules popped up, and you'll see what I mean.

Come see my Homebrew!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry for the double post, but now I've got some basic information up. As you can see, most of the Fields are not in any way finished. I have a few, as you can see, and all of the other energy types can be expanded out from Holocaust Sphere, but I have a lot of other ideas.

A bit on my design ideas here. The Geomancer is meant to be a battlefield controller in the most literal sense. While the physical Fields aren't quite up yet, the Geomancer will have options for lifting areas of ground up into the air, creating walls (and possibly mazes), the ability to negate flying within an area, the ability to make certain actions impossible (no combustion within the Field, &c.) and similar abilities.

The real odd part about the Geomancer is that, while the Fields can be maintained indefinitely, and while the Fields can be re-created quickly if they are brought down for some reason, they provide fairly weakened buffs or changes to the terrain in most cases unless empowered. The complete lack of direct damage abilities also makes the Geomancer a tad strange.

One thing I should note (and I'll update the entry to note the change if it isn't already there) is that the Fields size can be changed, but not easily. Doubling the size of a Field increases its Level by 1, without adding the other benefits. Decreasing the size of a Field is even more difficult, usually only possible through the use of class features (it's not inherent in the system). Additionally, every 3 or 4 additional Levels a Field possesses (I haven't decided how many yet) increases the Accumulation Period by 1 round, so higher level Fields take more time to create. This time can be reduced by 1 round by sacrificing an additional Field Level (this is where the system gets a little hairy), but doing so limits how high the Field Level can be brought, and it can only reduce the Accumulation Period to a minimum of 1 round.

In essence, the Geomancer can constantly change the nature of the battleground by altering where Fields are, what Fields are up, and the like. A crafty Geomancer can stack the Fields so they slightly overlap, or don't overlap at all, to produce nasty combos, such as having two Fields right next to each other, one that provides damage reduction, and one that provides increased fire damage, so that the Geomancer's ally gains the damage reduction, but the troll does not, and so that the troll takes additional fire damage, but the ally does not.

This is a good place to point out that anything within a Field gains the benefit or penalty of the Field. As such, abilities which move characters can be very useful, and making sure that you stay within a Field (while keeping the enemy out) can likewise be very important. If both the enemy and ally are in a Field providing damage reduction 16/-, then the fight might not be easily concluded.

Finally, I do intend to eventually create rules for what happens when too many fields are overlapped. I'm seeing some kind of backlash, or maybe random effects, possibly even breaking or weakening the ley line when this happens. It can make Geomancy duels interesting, because some Fields might cancel each other out, but overlaying too many can be dangerous to both parties.

And, that's about all for the moment. I'm kinda tired, so I think I'll head out.

Come see my Homebrew!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, since you're asking for PEACH, I figured I'd offer up my two coppers and see what you thought.

Ideas for Fields

Buffing
    +1/4 levels of Geomancer on attack and damage rolls
    +1/4 levels of Geomancer on AC and saving throws
    +1/2 levels of Geomancer DR/-
    +10'/4 levels of Geomancer enhancement bonus to movement speeds
    +10%/4 levels of Geomancer miss chance
    +1 additional attack at highest attack bonus as part of a full-round attack.
    +1 additional attack at highest attack bonus on attacks of opportunity
    +1/4 GL bonus on caster level/manifester level/initator level/meldshaper level etc
    +12+GL increase to current SR/PR (if none, treat current SR/PR as 0)

Debuffing
    +2 damage/2 GL received from all physical sources
    -1/4 GL on attacks and damage
    -1/4 GL on AC and saves
    -1/2 GL to all forms of DR
    -1/4 GL to all manifester/caster etc levels
    -12+GL to SR and PR
    Unable to make full-round actions while standing on the square
    Unable to use spell, spell-like, psionic, psi-like, or supernatural abilities while on the square
    Square prevents all outsiders (including summoned creatures) from crossing it
    Gravity- Any creature flying or levitating over this square falls immediately, taking falling damage and ending their move action prone in the square.

Miscellanious
    Warp- Stepping into one of these panels automatically teleports you to a different warp panel selected at random within 100 ft. This ends your move action immediately. If no other warp panels, then this panel does nothing.
    Protected- Acts as difficult terrain
    Barrier- Acts as if it were part of a wall of force, does not let anything through, cannot be stood in
    Jump- Stepping on one of these panels vaults you into the air. You involuntarily make a Jump check with a +10 bonus, +10/5 GL, and land in the appropriate square. A character's Armor Check penalty does not apply for this check, though if the character was wearing no armor, or armor that had a 0 AC penalty, the bonus to all Jump checks from this square are doubled.
    Anti-Magic Square- Acts as a 5' x 5' AMF
    Anti-Psionic Square- Acts as a 5' x 5' APF

(These are different from the debuffing one because they actually suppress magical and psionic items instead of simply preventing someone from casting a spell or manifesting a psionic effect)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-30 at 05:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I might want to cry... I've created several of my own casting systems and they all pale in comparison to this. I can't wait to see this when it is done. I think the thing I like about this the most is the sheer customization of it. It even beats out my disciple of the fade in that respect.
    And yay for geomancy that is actually geomancy for once!
    Last edited by eftexar; 2011-07-30 at 05:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, I really like some of those possible Fields. And it saves me the time of having to think of them myself! :P

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar
    I think I might want to cry... I've created several of my own casting systems and they all pale in comparison to this. I can't wait to see this when it is done. I think the thing I like about this the most is the sheer customization of it. It even beats out my disciple of the fade in that respect.
    The entire point of this supernatural system was to create a form of magic that isn't direct damage dealing, but something fun and tactically exciting that can be a bit different of flavor. Plus, I hate systems of magic that are just Vancian magic with a few tweaks (mostly because I hate Vancian magic in general, so it with tweaks doesn't suit me any better).

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar
    And yay for geomancy that is actually geomancy for once!
    Actually, the funny part is that this isn't really Geomancy, if you go by the real-life version. Geomancy in the world is actually a divination method using binary, but, while interesting, I do think I like this better.

Onto making some new Fields!

Come see my Homebrew!

12. - Top - End - #12

Really I hadn't realized that. I always thought of geomancy more along the lines of controlling the earth or, in your case, terrain. Geo means earth and pyro means fire, so why shouldn't geomancy control earth if pyromancy controls fire. Maybe I'm just weird...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I used to think that too (I mean, I did make this system...), but it turns out it's not true. Ley lines are actually a relatively new development in terms of supernatural thought, and geomancy has nothing to do with them, except for people like us. Still, I think I like this one better.

Come see my Homebrew!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't want to phlegm in your teacup, but isn't there already a PrC called 'the Geomancer'?

Anyway, I can't think of any suggestions right now, but this is a great piece of homebrew. Well done!
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Oh yes, there is, and it's based more on the traditional concept of geomancy, where it's a type of divination. However, like I mentioned above, I like the idea of Geomancy which uses ley lines as a power source, and I enjoy alternate magic systems (I seem to keep making them, even if I don't mean to). Geomancy just fits the name quite well. I suppose, as a disclaimer, noting that this is completely different would be a good thing to mention.

Come see my Homebrew!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I really like this, I tried to make something using a similar concept a while ago but it was just terrible. Any ideas for when you'll be putting the Geomancer class up?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-07-31 at 06:14 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Heh, as for the actual class, I'm not sure. I use such a homebrewed version of D&D that my classes no longer resemble normal D&D classes. I could throw my Geomancer up, but it probably won't balance well with a standard D&D class. It shouldn't be too hard to whip up a simple class, though.

Come see my Homebrew!

18. - Top - End - #18

I... Umh... I... Wow. Just wow. This looks too cool to live.

As it happens, the geomancer, as in the way you do it (not just a diviner or earth elementalist, but someone who kind of draws on the more fundamental environmental/terrain/ley line aspect) is one of my favorite kinds of casters. And now I see some outright amazing system to make it happen... I don't even. Just wow.

I would give you something, but the world is not enough sir. I just hope you keep up the incredible work!
    Last edited by Daverin; 2011-07-31 at 12:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    Heh, as for the actual class, I'm not sure. I use such a homebrewed version of D&D that my classes no longer resemble normal D&D classes. I could throw my Geomancer up, but it probably won't balance well with a standard D&D class. It shouldn't be too hard to whip up a simple class, though.
    Out of curiosity: if you weren't going to make a class, how did you expect this to be implemented into the game?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin
    I... Umh... I... Wow. Just wow. This looks too cool to live.

As it happens, the geomancer, as in the way you do it (not just a diviner or earth elementalist, but someone who kind of draws on the more fundamental environmental/terrain/ley line aspect) is one of my favorite kinds of casters. And now I see some outright amazing system to make it happen... I don't even. Just wow.

I would give you something, but the world is not enough sir. I just hope you keep up the incredible work!
    Thank you muchly! Honestly, I'm just glad people like a system that I came up with in four days. I figured I'd need more tweaking to really get it to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Out of curiosity: if you weren't going to make a class, how did you expect this to be implemented into the game?
    Well, it will be a class, just not how most people would expect. In essence, I use a highly homebrewed game, to the point that I probably can't call it D&D anymore (I've changed the class system, feat system, skill system, and magic system, so it really is basically a different game using the d20 system).

The brief answer is, I'll incorporate this into other classes, though I do intend to create a Geomancer class. However, my classes have individual paths which are something like mini-classes within each class, as well as a lot more abilities than standard classes receive. The power level is highly out of whack with standard D&D, mostly because I make my classes to balance with each other, not with standard D&D.

Another thing I should probably mention is that this is one of about... 16 different magic systems in my game (though, I call them supernatural systems, and use the term magic specifically to refer to arcane magic). Most of them I either have made or am making from scratch. I like complexity in my games.

Maybe I'll post a thread detailing how I run my games. You just have to understand that my games are very different from standard games.
    Last edited by Domriso; 2011-07-31 at 12:44 PM.

Come see my Homebrew!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Look interesting, will wait for more Fields to comments and use it in my campaign world

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, Fields are updated. Most of them are ones that I got from ideas from NeoSeraphi, but I threw some of my own in there, too. I also just got a couple of ideas for a few higher levels Fields, so I might update them again in a couple of minutes.

Now, my next question is, what to do about overlapping Fields? I know I want it to be possible, but I also want there to be a limit. I'm thinking that, if you go over the limit, then problems start cropping up, but I'm unsure of what problems to implement. Also, I love randomized tables, so you can be sure that the issues of overlaying Fields will be put into a table of random effects. :P

Come see my Homebrew!

23. - Top - End - #23

You could set up problems that happen dependent on the specific fields that bring it over the allotted amount. One I just though of is, what if absence zone was the one to bring it over. Maybe it makes it so that all attacks automatically hit the geomancer until he reduces the number of fields to or below the normal amount. If the geomancer continues to add fields the penalties accumulate. As to random effects, I really don't have any ideas on that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I updated the post with 20 effects, but I'd like to get more (because I am a whore for complication). Making them all based on individual Fields... that sounds a tad tedious. Maybe for some, but I dunno.

Come see my Homebrew!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Absence Field: Should probably cap out at L10, for a 50% miss chance. Rules compendium sets that as the upper cap for miss chances.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, good catch. I'd forgotten about that.

Come see my Homebrew!

27. - Top - End - #27

Any status so far on more fields? You have me hooked on this.

Also, btw, I'm thinking of whipping up a custom class chassis (for personal use only. I don't think I've shown anyone my custom classes.) However, while I have borrowed ideas from other classes before, this would be the only one I think I have outright used someone else's work. So, out of respect for the awesomeness of this project, would you be alright with that?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Mmm, I've got a few ideas, I've just been distracted recently (refridgerator broke, aunt [who is very pregnant]'s birthday, family parties, &c.), so I haven't written any up. I think it's pretty good as is, but I do have a few more I want to throw out there. I'll try to get some out relatively soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin
    So, out of respect for the awesomeness of this project, would you be alright with that?
    Dude, go for it. I put my homebrew up to be evaluated and used. Mix it around, add, subject, multiply, whatever. But, if you make something sexy, be sure to post it here, so I can revel in the awesome.

Come see my Homebrew!

29. - Top - End - #29

Ah, makes sense. RL always finds someway to keep us all busy at one point or another...

And thanks! I suppose I should reveal what I have in mind first. Obviously, the class will use the fields. However, I don't want it to just be able to sit at the back and use the fields; I also want to make them able to be in the front, dishing out pain and the like, and making use of the fields to force enemies to focus on them. Some ideas I have include a personal field that can be different or amplify whatever field(s) they currently have up (obviously, this will be given special rules). This will be made even more effective by allowing the class to "meld" or travel with the leylines through their fields, allowing them a great deal of mobility. So while they have primary fields going, they can also be dashing about and personally affecting and dealing with enemies. I might also see to find a way to allow specialized shaping, such as some squares being left alone, at some cost, or maybe as a per day ability (although, as a rule, I always try to find some other, repeatable mechanic as opposed to per day.)

The biggest difficulty is that I do want to add some more literally "georgy" (and this is why we, as a collective, decided mancy would be butchered into the root for magic! ) and outright screw with the land around them, but I don't want to make an unnecessary relationship between geomancy and earthshaping like that... If there is one thing I think is lacking, it looks like the fields are extremely focused on metaphysical powers, and could probably use some more blatant terrain shaping fields. That, however, is a personal opinion, and I could still do fine without anything like that. I just want it so I can imagine some apparent caster walking up to the middle of a fight and screwing everything up, and then just pummelling foes!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I agree with you on the desire for more physical Fields. As I made the system I realized I had a lot more ideas for Metaphysical Fields than for Physical ones, but I would like some more. If you've got any, throw them at me and I'll see if I can translate them into mechanics.

The idea of traveling along a ley line is definitely interesting. I was planning on having a way to use a ley line as a sort of divination focus, so a Geomancer sufficiently trained could use the ley line to spy on others, but I had decided that would be a class ability, and I haven't gotten that far yet.

And, honestly, I love the idea of a Geomancer who can beat people up. This is especially easy at higher levels, where the Geomancer can shape the Fields about him a bit more creatively, allowing himself to make a very small Field that protects him, while surrounding his opponents in negative Fields. The key usefulness is that he can do that as a Swift action, allowing him to use his other actions to fight directly.

Come see my Homebrew!