New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Episode 14: SWORD mission! Operation BIFROST!

Today was the day. Nero sat in conference room 412, four floors down into the expansive SWORD complex. He had made the preparations. Or rather, directed the preparations. Sending Agent 07 forward for scouting and other procedures was of vast importance, because 01 was nothing if not a cautious man.

And now, he waits. Checking his watch, he notes the time. 5AM. He had contacted many people, mostly top agents, in the preparation for this mission. Agent 04 (Mikami Aura), Agent 06 (Josiah Kane), Agent 07 (Hubert Fiorentini), Agent 08 (Angelo Damiano), and Agent 09 (Vincent Bochinsky). This would be a long day, as such the mission would need to be started early. So many variables.

Today, Nero would lead the way into the lions' den. He had received intel from Agent 00, but nothing could replace first-hand experience. He was heading into a city of Monsters. And he would be negotiating with the worst of them all.

The mission: A negotiation with the Ghost King.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Episode 14: SWORD mission! Operation BIFROST!

Aura's blatant disregard of protocol showed itself in that room, as she leaned back in her chair, her suit jacket hanging off her soldiers, legs crossed. "So, One, do you have a decent plan for this mission, or is it another wing it? Because when I looked over the crew you picked it seemed like another wing it."

Despite Aura's casual tone, her eyes conveyed a mild worry, not much, but enough that Abel should be able to pick up on it.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hubert crouches in a corner, instinctively choosing the one with the least lighting. Even without trying, he seems to blend in with the shadows all too easily. The Frenchman answers Aura's question curtly.

"Mademoiselle Aura. Preparations 'ave been made. Risks 'ave been assessed and measures taken to guard against them."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Josiah Kane, Agent 06, strode into the conference room, clearly ready for the briefing. He had his lightweight laptop computer tucked under one arm, and was wearing one of his sharper, more aggressive suits (traditional black coat and pants, a crisp white shirt, an eye-catching red tie, and a gold tie chain and cuff links). His face was set into a serious expression as he took a seat and booted up his laptop.

"We've been gearing up for this for quite a while, Aura. You just weren't always privy to that fact. Let's let 01 actually brief us before we jump to conclusions."
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

5. - Top - End - #5

Aura pouts and sticks her tongue out at Josiah. "Buzz off Six, it's not my fault that the one time I 'borrowed' your junk it just happened to explode. An' I fixed 'em afterwards, so don't try and spout off somethin' about personal property or whatever."

Aura did have a habit of looting other Agents rooms while they were out, going through their things, and 'fixing' various items. Whether it made them better, worse, or just different was a much-discussed topic among those she stole from.

Nero had, of course, been spared Aura's stealing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Vincent sat in his chair somewhat casually, dressed in his usual attire of a white labcoat worn over black slacks and a white shirt. A cross of white gold hung from his neck, though anyone who had actually seen him fight would know that it was simply for show.

"You can set your pretty little head to rest, Agent 04. Every detail of this plan has been thoroughly looked over and double-checked. Where we're going, nothing can be left to chance." He drawled, letting just a hint of contempt show in his tone. It wasn't a terrible secret that Vincent didn't think much of Aura, given her rash attitude and youth.

"01. Looking over the group that you've assembled so far, I was considering the possibility of adding some extra...muscle, to put it indelicately. I know that unnecessary difficulties are to be avoided, but occasionally such obstacles are unavoidable, and therefore the presence of a contingency plan and several backups," he emphasized "several" and nodded at Agent 07 in acknowledgement, "would be recommended. Therefore, would it be reasonable to add Experiment 1864 to our group? I assure you he would be completely under my control, and he would be a useful addition. He can be ready to move in 3.7 minutes." Any emotion that Vincent may have felt towards field-testing the Experiment was kept well hidden beneath a calm face and even tone. He seemed like he was fine either way.
    Bleach iTP Reborn characters
    Star Wars iTP characters

Awesome Cassandra Avatar courtesy of the equally awesome Shades of Grey!

I'm also on AIM and Skype. Contact info resides on my profile if you wish to speak with me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Nero simply examines all of the agents as they enter for now. Some were aware of the purpose of this meeting, but the full details were up to Nero to fill. There was still Agent 08 yet to arrive.

...However, his reverie is interrupted by Agent 09's inquiry. "...The purpose of this mission is not to fight. The larger a show of force we make, the more likely things are to go sour. In addition, Subject 1864 possesses innate spiritual ability, which makes our potential enemies more able to pinpoint our location. Fuel for our equipment will be plentiful, but we must always account for the worst."

He pauses. "However, we will need to render ourselves vulnerable during the mission in remaining in one location." He presses a button on a remote, a LCD screen behind him showing an outline of Las Noches, here noted as NIFLHEIM. An indicator notes to the center of the city, the Royal Palace itself. "Some of you have been briefed on minor details of this mission. But for now, the full details can wait until Agent 08 arrives."

"...So while I do not exactly do so gladly, I will allow Subject 1864 to accompany us. It is on your head as always to keep him under control. As you will be covering operational security from headquarters, do you believe you will be able to manage this?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Angelo Damiano strides into the meeting room with a purposeful air and an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, got a confession that ran longer than expected."
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Nero nods as Angelo arrives, standing up and stretching slightly. "Good. Now we can begin the full briefing." Walking over to the monitor, he stands tall, pointing the remote indicator to the intended destination. "Operation BIFROST will implement use of Agent 09's completed Project SHIFT. Myself, and Agents 04, 06, 07, 08, and Subject 1864 will arrive a short distance outside Main palace within the city walls, making for a much simpler infiltration than attempting to scale or find a way through the walls. Or underneath the city, where there is a vastly increased degree of Hollow activity. Agent 09 will watch with both cameras integrated into our Trackers, and SCAR droids we will be deploying at the drop site and using to keep aware of our surroundings. We will progress to the main palace in a non-hostile manner to the Royal palace. The limitations of our experience in the use of Project SHIFT will limit us to the 7th district." He indicates the portion of the city with the indicator. "However according to my sources the district is comprised mostly of gladiatorial arenas and rowdy citizens, so we will be moving to the 8th district, which is supposedly much tamer, to reduce the chances of an unneeded conflict drawing the attention of the Espada." A line is drawn from the drop-point in the 7th district to the 8th district.

"From then on, we will progress to the Royal palace." The line continues from there, to the center of the city. "We will avoid confrontation and try to keep as low a profile as possible. Agent 06 will provide discreet air support via the D.P.S, and will act as a secondary scout, moving to primary if any of the SCAR droids are compromised." He nods to Josiah. He was one of the agents he trusted the most amongst the top ten. "Agents 04 and Subject 1864 will keep reiatsu-dampening equipment active at all times, and will stay up to 30 feet and a minimum of 10 feet behind myself and the main group at all times, covering our backs." He gives Aura a warning look. She knew enough to glean that insubordination would not be suffered by Agent 01. He also gives a cursory glance to Vincent. There would be no excuse for trying to start a fight to test 1864's combat capabilities, and this man could imply that much with a look. And he knew that it had probably crossed Vincent's mind.

"Agent 07 and 08 will stay within 5 feet of myself, and will provide cover toward our front." In turn, he looks to both Hubert and Angelo. He could trust them to take this seriously as well. "When we reach the Royal palace, we will state our diplomatic purposes, only touting our advantages and assets if necessary. We must comply to their demands to assure that our ultimate goal is not out of reach, within reason of course."

"The ultimate goal... is to assure that I reach the throne room so I may negotiate services with 'The Ghost King' Erscheinung Von Geister on behalf of Agent 00. He is the monarch of the city, and undoubtedly one of the most dangerous beings in the known universe, so we must make sure to do absolutely nothing to directly provoke him." He gives a serious look to everyone in turn.

"...As for our insurance. Our diagram of the city, while flawed, and not including every inch of the city nor the interior blueprints of any of the buildings, is the product of Agent 07, who did the preparation for the Op. He laid bombs in discreet locations across the city, as well as on critical locations along the 'dome', a construct above and around the city that provides artificial sunlight to the city. Many of these bombs are biological, but the most pertinent use is to deter combat at the risk of massive destruction. It is a crude tactic, and unlikely to deter the most bloodthirsty of foes, but we must make sure to take as little time as possible in the increasingly probable chance over time that they are discovered."

Nero pauses, looking to each of the gathered operatives. "Any questions?"
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2011-11-22 at 05:53 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

10. - Top - End - #10

Aura flushed in a silent, indignant rage. She was the youngest of them, and she always got called out on every. little. thing. It wasn't fair. She tried so hard to please the people who had rescued her, but she never got it right.

She nodded curtly, attempting to save face in front of the others. It wouldn't do for Four to suddenly disobey One. She idolized the man, after all.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Josiah nodded as Nero spoke, tapping away quietly on his computer, plotting a very rough flight course, as well as bringing up estimates for the optimal number of SCAR droids to bring along. When 01 asked for questions, he looked up and spoke.

"You mention your desire for me to be discrete. Would you prefer I install some of my basic stealth modules, but sacrifice a fair bit of firepower? Or do I simply hold to strict Rules of Engagement, but fly around prepared to wage a small war? If the latter, I'd like to ask what armaments you'd prefer for your Air Support to have. Here's a current list."

He smoothly slid the laptop over to Nero, and a rather impressive list of weaponry was displayed on-screen.

"Will I remain outside and on-station during your diplomatic meetings, or will I be heading inside with the main group?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Josiah nodded as Nero spoke, tapping away quietly on his computer, plotting a very rough flight course, as well as bringing up estimates for the optimal number of SCAR droids to bring along. When 01 asked for questions, he looked up and spoke.

"You mention your desire for me to be discrete. Would you prefer I install some of my basic stealth modules, but sacrifice a fair bit of firepower? Or do I simply hold to strict Rules of Engagement, but fly around prepared to wage a small war? If the latter, I'd like to ask what armaments you'd prefer for your Air Support to have. Here's a current list."

He smoothly slid the laptop over to Nero, and a rather impressive list of weaponry was displayed on-screen.

"Will I remain outside and on-station during your diplomatic meetings, or will I be heading inside with the main group?"
    "Stealth modules by far." Nero nods to Josiah. "Spiritual-armor-piercing rounds would be the preferred ammunition of choice, whatever weapon you can manage to use those with. Arrancar have an innate control over their reiatsu that renders them extremely resistant, if not completely immune to most kinds of harm we can inflict."

"As said, while we are not leaving HQ unarmed, the main purpose of this Op is diplomacy. Whether you remain outside or not is up to the requests of our host. If we are demanded to leave our weapons, you may well need to stay outside of the palace, in which case half of the remaining group will remain. Because I am under the impression you are not yet able to remove the D.P.S. on the field. If I am wrong in that assessment, feel free to correct me."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Angelo nods whenever Nero mentions him. He is always the serious sort, and religiously so.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nero simply examines all of the agents as they enter for now. Some were aware of the purpose of this meeting, but the full details were up to Nero to fill. There was still Agent 08 yet to arrive.

...However, his reverie is interrupted by Agent 09's inquiry. "...The purpose of this mission is not to fight. The larger a show of force we make, the more likely things are to go sour. In addition, Subject 1864 possesses innate spiritual ability, which makes our potential enemies more able to pinpoint our location. Fuel for our equipment will be plentiful, but we must always account for the worst."

He pauses. "However, we will need to render ourselves vulnerable during the mission in remaining in one location." He presses a button on a remote, a LCD screen behind him showing an outline of Las Noches, here noted as NIFLHEIM. An indicator notes to the center of the city, the Royal Palace itself. "Some of you have been briefed on minor details of this mission. But for now, the full details can wait until Agent 08 arrives."

"...So while I do not exactly do so gladly, I will allow Subject 1864 to accompany us. It is on your head as always to keep him under control. As you will be covering operational security from headquarters, do you believe you will be able to manage this?"
    Vincent nodded graciously. "I will keep him on the tightest of leashes, 01. You have my word, both as a scientist, and as a Quincy." As he spoke, he took out his watch and pressed a few buttons on its side, flipping out what looked like a miniaturized keyboard on the side. Quickly tapping a few keys, a certain Subject would hear his collar begin to beep, and would know that its creator was calling...

Calling his attention back to the meeting, Vincent nodded at the appropriate moments. When Nero gave him that look he chuckled a little to himself. The thought had in fact crossed his mind, yes. But he knew better than to start a fight in Hueco Mundo. They'd be big enough targets as it was, a bunch of mortals walking around Hueco Mundo. Maybe it would be enough for Nero to rethink Vincent's proposal to install the Quincy tattoos on various members of SWORD. Yes, they were unstable, but there must be some members who were more expendable than others!

But Nero had finished talking. "I've also modified a few SCARs to be better able to handle the influx of reiatsu present in the Hueco Mundo desert, and especially the city itself. These droids also have the capability to project a reiatsu-dampening field around themselves, rendering them capable of hiding Aura and 1864 quite well without having them equip their own stealth units, lessening their burden. I believe that I told you about them, Josiah? The ones that have the Ginto in them that drink in reiatsu, while using it to power themselves?"
    Bleach iTP Reborn characters
    Star Wars iTP characters

Awesome Cassandra Avatar courtesy of the equally awesome Shades of Grey!

I'm also on AIM and Skype. Contact info resides on my profile if you wish to speak with me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Subject 1864 rouses from reading a book.

It was a book in Russian about particle physics.

Seriously.

1864 put a bookmark and walked out of his room with a dazed look about him, moving like he was sleepwalking.

His mind was clearly elsewhere. The book, most likely.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Nero nods to 1864 as the 'man' walks in. He could trust him to make no rash actions, if only because he was Vincent's (and another scientist whom Nero saved himself the frustration to think of) lab rat. Given no further question, Agent 01 gives a passive look to everyone, then shuts off the console.

"Very well. We reconvene at Agent 09's laboratory at 0600. You have until then to prepare any weaponry or equipment you deem necessary, however do try to pack light." He closes his eyes in contemplation, as he sometimes does. "Dismissed."

With that, Nero makes way to his office, unlocking his armaments closet. It seriously looks like something out of the movies, with all kinds of guns and compartments for the various SWORD tech that he, as Agent 01 had access to. But he had to plan as if the weapons he brought would not be returned. Hopefully they would not ask the same of Josiah. No doubt he had extras around, but it would be a hit to lose something that versatile to the wolves of the desert.

For now, the Agent holsters his personal favorites, his dual revolvers, several throwing knives, and for this occasion, a single beam sword. This would be considered light arms for the well-prepared agent.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

1864 merely looks bored like hell as he follows Vincent around. He hasn't spoken a word so far; he often expects to be spoken to first.

And he's probably still thinking about that book.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

At the end of the briefing Angelo returns to his Church, where his room and office is located upstairs.

While spacious with a great view of the city, being on slightly higher elevation, Angelo's room is half-spartan. Furnishings are simple, tasteful and costs slightly higher than average, but the cost is paid for by excellent materials and workmanship but the actual furniture and furnishings do not even suggest a price tag that would give average income households pause. The irony is not lost on Angelo. But then again, since he donated plenty for charities, and he has not much need to spend money on anything else, a comfortable room that functions as both a bedroom and an office would suffice, plus given the cost, these furniture pieces would last longer than their worth, making it a prudent investment as well.

Walking to an adjacent room, designated as a private prayer room where a huge and thick titanium cross sits at the far end wall, Angelo closes the door and opens the cross, which moves on silent hinges sideways like a door.

There contained within is Angelo's Dimension Holder, Exorcist's Handgun, Rosary and the HUD contact lenses, all in their designated docking bays. The swinging side of the cross holds various other weapons, all with the ability to fire Exorcist rounds which are nothing more than rubber bullets charged with Angelo's reiatsu and common millitary-grade munitions.

Agent 01 said to travel light, but when you have an experimental dimension holder, 'light' becomes subjective. Dragging out a munitions box, Angelo loads in Exorcist rounds into it, holding about the count of a thousand rounds. Besides his Holy Water Dispenser and Handgun, he packs a camping kit as well as a sniper rifle. Doing a headcount, the munitions cache, rifle, sniper rifle, dispenser and handgun would total to five items. Just enough for all five rings in his dimension holder to hold, one item in each. Concentrating a for awhile, Angelo touches each item and watches them fade away and the corresponding silver rings gain a dull gold sheen.

Taking a polishing cloth from the Cross, Angelo takes a few minutes to polish Michael's Judgement. Once that is done, he closes and secures the titanium cross and returns to his room.

Come an hour before the assembly time Angelo would sling a pre-packed duffel bag over his shoulder and proceed towards the designated area.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Understood."

With that, Josiah closed his laptop and stood, walking from the room.

A few minutes later, Josiah's Armory

Josiah stood there, having already shed his coat, tie, and button-up shirt. Now only a white tank top remained. He was pondering the display in front of him. While the Dynamo Power Suit was reported to be one-of-a-kind...he had actually just finished his second model two days before. This one had been designed with two goals in mind. First, it was, at its base, a stealthier, more subtle armor. Second, it was, if anything, more modular than the first, having the ability to accept modules over the entire body.

The power Dials were buried just under the skin, which itself was a touch more receptive to bringing in external reiatsu. Something that shouldn't be as much of a problem with their travel plans...

'Note to self. Attach the secondary battery packs; our trip should let the suit draw in even more power.'

On the flip side, the Stealth DPS (as he thought of it to himself) was more vulnerable than the original model. It was also slower, though maneuverability was the same.

Still, he liked the look he had achieved, if nothing else.

Now to mount the modules with active and passive stealth systems, general ECM gear, a few extra sensors, added armoring of course, a few extra power systems, and a somewhat reduced weapons load.

It would only have his basic palm Dials (same strength as the original suit), two single-barrel guns (one to each arm; limited load of "specialty ammo" combined with the auto-generated "default" load) loaded with high-power, armor-penetrating rounds, and a back-mounted MRLS that had only 4 tubes, but managed to pack in 6 shots for each tube (plus the weaker, but infinite, spiritual ammo).

Despite the bulky look it had once he was finished attaching everything, it was less detectable than the American B-2 Spirit bomber.

He smiled a bit, and went off to the attached dressing room to change into his interface suit, even as the automated systems of the Armory began the process of getting all of the gear ready for Agent 06 to assemble it around himself.

20 minutes before mission start, Agent 09's lab

Josiah had finished donning his armor and running 3 separate sets of diagnostics on it. Everything was ready.

'Just hope I don't have to ditch this and set off the self-destructs...'

He walked into the area where they were to assemble, surprisingly light on his feet for all the armor he had on. He glanced around before popping the face-plate open and taking a deep breath. It wasn't precisely stuffy in the suit, but open air was nice to breath.