New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default (PF) Killer Halfling?

I was looking through the pathfinder srd recently, when I found this prestige class:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/pres...ng-opportunist

It doesn't show up on the normal index, and I don't have the book in question, but it seems quite good. Exploitative maneuver is fun and unique, only time I've seen combat maneuver checks usable for social rolls. Disguise instead of diplomacy rolls are also nice.

Sneak attack and saves are nice, but the real fun bit is Opportunity attacker.
    As it doesn't require flat-footedness or flanking, it looks like it might be able to get around uncanny dodge.

Not quite sure how to best take advantage of it though. Would prefer to set up a build with pathfinder only.

Central Feats:
    Weapon Finesse
    Combat Reflexes
    Defensive Combat Training (req for class)

Probably a rogue base to build up that sneak attack and get weapon finesse with a talent? I have heard there is a well done whip feat tree in ultimate combat, but don't have access to that one yet.

If we bring in 3.5 there are the various sacrifice Sneak Attack for status effect feats. Is there anything similar in Pathfinder?
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Killer Halfling?

This looks like an interesting addition to Jack B Quick or similar characters (if D&D 3.5 material is allowed).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

It looks quite nice, but as someone who only really has access to the PFSRD, I must ask where it is actually from? And why wouldn't it be in the regular list of Prestige Classes if it is, as it is classified, official Paizo?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    It looks quite nice, but as someone who only really has access to the PFSRD, I must ask where it is actually from? And why wouldn't it be in the regular list of Prestige Classes if it is, as it is classified, official Paizo?

The bottom of the document says it's in Halfling of Golarion, one of the PF racial splatbooks.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The bottom of the document says it's in Halfling of Golarion, one of the PF racial splatbooks.
    That's it. I'm swearing off reading for the next couple of days until this hangover is completely over.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be included amongst the other prestige classes, then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    That's it. I'm swearing off reading for the next couple of days until this hangover is completely over.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be included amongst the other prestige classes, then?
    *shrug* Maybe the guys in charge of keeping the SRD updated overlooked it? You'd think there'd be a way to point that out, support email link or something...
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

It looks like a Alchemist Vivisectionist Halfling using Beast Shape might work. Go into a form that has the trip special quality. Pick up the Greater Trip Feat.

Whenever you hit somebody you make a free trip attack. If you successfully trip someone you provoke an attack of opportunity. Use the attack of opportunity to hit them again +sneak attack, and then get a free trip attack, so on until you miss or run out of attacks of opportunity.

What I'm wondering about though
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...Beast-Shape-IV

Beast Shape doesn't say you get any natural weapons from the form. Are you still able to use your normal weapons when in Beast Shape? Having a weapon with the trip special quality would really help the build out.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you get the natural weapons, but use your own base attack bonus and adjusted ability scores. Perhaps a more long term option would be a Synthesist with the Trip ability.
    Last edited by The Gilded Duke; 2011-07-31 at 01:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    It looks like a Alchemist Vivisectionist Halfling using Beast Shape might work. Go into a form that has the trip special quality. Pick up the Greater Trip Feat.

Whenever you hit somebody you make a free trip attack. If you successfully trip someone you provoke an attack of opportunity. Use the attack of opportunity to hit them again +sneak attack, and then get a free trip attack, so on until you miss or run out of attacks of opportunity.

What I'm wondering about though
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...Beast-Shape-IV

Beast Shape doesn't say you get any natural weapons from the form. Are you still able to use your normal weapons when in Beast Shape? Having a weapon with the trip special quality would really help the build out.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you get the natural weapons, but use your own base attack bonus and adjusted ability scores. Perhaps a more long term option would be a Synthesist with the Trip ability.
    I could have sworn you can't do the infinite trip loop by RAW.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    I could have sworn you can't do the infinite trip loop by RAW.

Not quite the same infinite trip loop.

You can do it with natural attacks but they removed being able to damage and trip somone on the same attack with weapons that have the trip property (IE Spiked chains and whips). Natural attacks with trip would still work.