New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXIII

Zaq,

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the Seven Deadly Sins domains? If so, they're meant or an alternate monotheistic-ish setting anyway, so assume you live there. Maybe grab the favored weapon of one of the dualistic gods in Deities and Demigods.

Incidentally, while this is unlikely, if you're doing Swallow Whole Optimization with the Gluttony Domain I will love you forever.

Ssertrous. Is Ssertrous a deity? Does it matter?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Argh. I'm trying to be evasive and not make it immediately obvious which domain I'm using.

Assuming that there is, in fact, such a domain that doesn't actually have any associated deities, what then?
    If a domain explicitly has no deities (such as the Transformation Domain), a Divine Crusader can't take it. Unlike a Cleric, you can't just worship the forces of Lawful Neutrality to suit your domain/alignment/general skeeze needs. All the Spell Compendium Domains have sources, and in those sources those domains have gods that provide them.

I've been tempted while building things to try to argue that the God of XYZ has the XYZ domain even though he doesn't actually have it (due to it being from a different obscure source than the god), but that'll probably provoke massive deductions so I'm avoiding it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Psst. What happened to the Side Dish competition? Where the entrants statted popular characters?

Is anyone willing to run a Dessert Competition as well? Where a homebrew class from here on GitP is the secret ingredient?

We could have 3 competitions at once: Main course (This), Side Dish (Spin-off, can't find it), and Dessert (Spin-off, not existing yet).

Or have people run multiple IC competitions at once and found it too hard to handle?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Competing. Gonna be interesting to see what I can do with it.

EDIT: Got most of my build sorted. Kind of exciting, and I'm pretty convinced it's basically unique.
    Last edited by term1nally s1ck; 2011-08-05 at 10:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post
    If a domain explicitly has no deities (such as the Transformation Domain), a Divine Crusader can't take it. Unlike a Cleric, you can't just worship the forces of Lawful Neutrality to suit your domain/alignment/general skeeze needs. All the Spell Compendium Domains have sources, and in those sources those domains have gods that provide them.

I've been tempted while building things to try to argue that the God of XYZ has the XYZ domain even though he doesn't actually have it (due to it being from a different obscure source than the god), but that'll probably provoke massive deductions so I'm avoiding it.
    A fair argument . . . but what if it explicitly says "None. Clerics of any deity may take this domain." instead?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    A fair argument . . . but what if it explicitly says "None. Clerics of any deity may take this domain." instead?
    Well that's pretty clear. You chose a deity, and that deity can offer that domain.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

7. - Top - End - #67

I'd agree that in that case you're all set (and in fact in great position, not being hedged into one alignment/deity.)

8. - Top - End - #68

Hate spellcasters in general and want to judge. This seems like a no-brainer; count me in as a judge. No criteria yet, I'll just make it up as I go along.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Psst. What happened to the Side Dish competition? Where the entrants statted popular characters?

Is anyone willing to run a Dessert Competition as well? Where a homebrew class from here on GitP is the secret ingredient?

We could have 3 competitions at once: Main course (This), Side Dish (Spin-off, can't find it), and Dessert (Spin-off, not existing yet).

Or have people run multiple IC competitions at once and found it too hard to handle?
    Psst. Hey buddy I got your back. It is right here, got what you need I made it a really long competition as I recognized that it is a spin off so in order to get a lot of applicants for a first time I would need to extend the deadline a bit.

Z3ro: It would be kinda nice to see what you want so we can try to customized a bit or stay away from barbarian as you hate it. No, I don't know what your feelings towards ragers are, if any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Z3ro: It would be kinda nice to see what you want so we can try to customized a bit or stay away from barbarian as you hate it. No, I don't know what your feelings towards ragers are, if any.
    Even beyond that, it's nice to give the competitors an idea of your judging rubric for two reasons:
    • It gives them an idea of WHY you gave a certain deduction, even if your notes don't make it explicitly clear.
    • I've found that, as a judge, abiding by my posted rubric ensures that my scores are more consistent across the board.

Not saying that you have to, just my 2 cp on why I think even a quick set of criteria is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #71

Since it has been requested several times, here's some criteria.

Spoiler
    Show

OriginalityThis category has two main components; was your build similar to any of the other builds submitted, and was it similar to any well-known builds. In addition, I will penalize your build if it uses obvious tricks in obvious ways or well-known exploits in expected ways. Bonus points for things that haven't been thought of before (or at least with respect to the secret ingredient) and for using known tricks in unusual ways.

PowerHow does your build stack up, power wise, to other builds focusing on similar objectives. Power in this category includes flexibility and versatility as well as straight combat power. This category will also measure power from level 1-20; a build will be penalized if it is excessively weak or unplayable at lower levels but ramp up later. Bonus points will be given if most or all of a build's power come from tricks involving the secret ingredient.

EleganceThe toughest category to judge and assess, I judge elegance as how well the build flows together. Dipping will be penalized, but dips that make thematic sense (ranger dipping barbarian) will be penalized less than dips that do not (rogue dipping paladin). More importantly, the build should make sense at all levels, 1-20. Abilities that are useless at the level they are taken, but come on line later, will be penalized. Maintaining flavor and flow through the build will be rewarded.

Use of the Secret IngredientIf elegance is the hardest to judge, this is probably the easiest. Did your taking the secret ingredient make sense? Did you take all 10 levels? How many of the abilities granted did you use, and how essential are they to your build? And probably most importantly, would your build be better off with another class, rather than the secret ingredient?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My build is finally coming together

It should be done by today, or maybe tomorrow. I have to say it's turning out better than I initially expected.

13. - Top - End - #73

This competition has truly proven to me that if you want to solve a problem in 3.5e, all you have to do is throw hours and hours of research at it.
    Last edited by DeAnno; 2011-08-11 at 02:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

I've just stumbled across my two build ideas. Neither one is going to wow anyone, but I'm just hoping that I'll make up for it in style points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

My build's done and formatted, I just need to write up the fluff. Maybe I'll even have time to put together a second!

16. - Top - End - #76

Done, just fluffing. Remarkably snazzy, if I do say so myself. My only issue is if a different class could do it better....but I don't know of any others that could get me 9ths, and the correct spells.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got two builds, trying to decide between them.

I predict a whole awful lot of one base class this time around. Let's see if I'm right.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    I've got two builds, trying to decide between them.

I predict a whole awful lot of one base class this time around. Let's see if I'm right.
    Are you predicting one particular class will show up a lot, or mono-class entry? I could see both being true.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'd like to try my hand at this. Do we also include crucial items in the build?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    Are you predicting one particular class will show up a lot, or mono-class entry? I could see both being true.
    One particular class. I'll withhold further comment until the builds are posted.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It would be best if you include the required items and a wish list of any other items the character would like. However if your character needs something that is not very common to function with whatever trick(s) you are using then most judges will penalize you somewhere.

22. - Top - End - #82

If your character needs something to function no matter how common, it seems that they get punished. I recall a drunken master build that was penalised half a point by most judges for not being very effective without any stat boosting items.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by term1nally s1ck View Post
    If your character needs something to function no matter how common, it seems that they get punished. I recall a drunken master build that was penalised half a point by most judges for not being very effective without any stat boosting items.
    Obviously, this doesn't always apply in the case of mundane or items necessary to the PrC. You wouldn't penalize a Drunken Master because it needs lots of mundane booze, now would you?
    Excellent Ponsoon avatar by Akrim.elf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Everybody outsmarts Nale. Including Nale.
    I will be unable to post for an undetermined amount of time due to medical problems and family problems. Just a notice.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
    I'd like to try my hand at this. Do we also include crucial items in the build?
    Absolute dependency on items can take a hit, either in power or elegance.

Absolute dependency on an item to qualify for something (for example, using a Ring of Evasion to qualify for a PrC that requires evasion) is at least a full point off elegance, if not more, as it is very rules-dodgy, and some GM's won't let you get away with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I've got two builds sketched out (one kinda risky, one a little blander and a little safer). Hopefully, I'll get one or both in submittable form by the deadline, but since I'm going out of town on Saturday, no guarantees. (Of course, I might have some free time while I'm there, but who knows?)

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Build submitted. It's pretty awesome and I think it'll be fairly unique thematically.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you still looking for judges? I'm not sure I have time to finish a build, but I would definitely be willing to judge.
    "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel

Homebrew Creations:
    Dragon-Mounted Mage [3.5e PrC]

Currently DMing:
    Age of Worms:Recruitment (Closed)|IC|OOC

Like D&D and video games? Try League of Legends.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Writing the backstory took a while longer than expected (English is not my first language) but I'm almost done. I'll submit it later today. I hope no one else had the same idea.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

I'm still judging this, after an inability to think up a build that wouldn't be better off taking some other prestige class.
    Excellent Ponsoon avatar by Akrim.elf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Everybody outsmarts Nale. Including Nale.
    I will be unable to post for an undetermined amount of time due to medical problems and family problems. Just a notice.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

If I don't manage to finish by the deadline, is there a chance that I can still judge, or is that something I have to declare before the deadline?

It's still a toss-up as to whether I'll finish, since I am, as I said, out of town. Not out of the question, but far from guaranteed.