New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Briar

The gnome calls out to her halfling companion as she readies her last bomb: "Ordinance incoming for destruction of skeletons! If entering area, evasive maneuvers advisable!" She hurls her flask. "Which is to say, I'll kill yours if you kill mine!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar will thrown her bomb at square E8. This is a touch attack vs AC 5; if it hits, the two skeletons adjacent to the square will take 5 splash damage each (Ref DC 14 half).
    Attack: (1d20+5)[15] Damage: 5 (Ref DC 14 half).
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wincing as the undead gotten in his guard, Kaythek brings his falchion back to be ready for another swing. That stung. Have to be careful, but still.

Hearing Augustin's proclamation, Kaythek brings his falchion around again on the undead he is facing. "DEATH TO UNDEATH," yells Kaythek as the blade comes down on the undead.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack with falchion [vroll]1d20+4[/vroll].
    If it hits, the undead takes (2d4+3)[8] damage.
    If hit is a crit threat (roll of 17-20), roll to confirm is (1d20+4)[17] and (2d4+3)[9] for damage.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"INHERITOR GIVE ME STRENGTH!" Morcaine cries as she makes another swing at the skeleton in front of her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[18]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[13]

...Sweeeeeeeeet.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-10-18 at 12:48 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Necromantic energy, huh?" Tamara announces curiously.

Tamara shields her eyes and laughs maniacally when the explosion goes off. "Briar, you're fun!" she comments while charging at the other skeleton. Her powerful overhead swing bisects the skull as the necromantic energy flickers from the dead form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge Attack: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12]
    Concealment (need>20): (1d100)[49]

Edit: I'm assuming it dies...

If skeleton does not die, then attack adjacent skeleton.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-10-18 at 11:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaythek: We can use the confirmation roll since the first one didn't work.

Ulric: The shield bash was a bad on my part. I didn't check close enough to see that it was spiked. We'll leave the result as is though.

More undead drop this round. The last two left have lost 2 HP from Augustin's burst. Kendra loses 10 hp to a confirmed critical and has only one HP left!

Working in tandem, Briar and Tamara decimate their remaining undead with a ferocious assault. Morcaine and Kaythek also find some luck as as Augustin's channeled energy knocks their undead off balance. On the other hand, with his attention divided, Ulric has no luck in striking down his foes. Aid comes in the form of Hadrin as the leaps forward and reduces one of the skeletons to ash with a cure spell.

Kendra tries to help as well, but her acid spell only serves to draw attention. In return the undead she targeted savages her with it's claw.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Firbolg in the Playground

Upon seeing the murderous attack on Kendra, Ulric furiously goes after the undead attacking her, striking with both weapons with all his might as he calls for the Dawnflower's anger.

"O Sarenrae, punish this minion of darkness !"

Spoiler
    Show
    Smite evil against the undead in T10.

Scimitar strike:
    Attack (1d20+6)[24] including +1 from bless and +3 from smite evil
    Damage (1d6+6)[11] including +1 from Subject of study trait and +2 from smite evil undead; that damage bypasses any DR

In the event of a critical threat (18-20) - Yes !
    Confirm (1d20+6)[17]
    Extra damage (1d6+6)[10]

Shield bash:
    Attack (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage (1d4+4)[7]

In the event of a critical threat (20)
    Confirm (1d20+6)[13]
    Extra damage (1d4+4)[6]

EDIT: I wanted to make sure the threat to Kendra was eliminated, but once the scimitar attack destroys the one in T10, I guess the shield bash can be directed at the one in T8 instead. In that case the smite evil bonuses don't apply to that, so attack roll is 14, damage is 5 and DR applies.

Current HP 9/13, AC 17, CMD 15, Fort +3, Refl +2, Will +0
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-19 at 08:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

(Uhm, I assume Ulric just dropped the last two. Actions based on this assumption.)

Seeing Ulric's furious assault finish the remaining undead, Augustin quickly takes Kendra's hand to steady her. His fingers glow as he touches her wounds, the improvement visible immediately. "Be healed."

I failed, I could not stop them myself. Quick blades prevented us from being killed, or worse, not my gift. This time, we continue. Will I fail again? What will it cost?

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW (1d8+1)[9]

If no more enemies are immediately evident, Augustin will channel energy to heal any remaining wounds once everyone is in range. (1d6)[5]

8. - Top - End - #368

(OOC: I think the on on the other side of Ulric is still standing. Don't worry, I got him.)

Seeing the undead fall to the ground, Kaythek turns around. Looks like one is left, noting the last ndead within sight behind Ulric, who does his best to try to hit it with his shield. Gritting his teeth, Kaythek storms around the others to the last skeleton. "I don't think so," yells Kaythek as he brings the falchion up, intending to to slice the undead from left thigh to righ shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack with falchion (1d20+4)[20].
    If it hits, damage is (2d4+3)[4][4](11).

If the dice roll if 18-20, roll to confrim crit threat (1d20+4)[21].
    If confirmed, (2d4+3)[1][3](7) additional damage.

Seeing the blade smashing into the undead and sending it backwards, Kaythek let's loose a primal yell. "GLORY TO THE GODS," screamed Kaythek into the night air. Taking a deep breath, Kaythek looks to the others, noting Augustin next to Kendra, who is bleeding bit but otherwise being tended to. "Do you want any help, Gust," questions Kaythek waiting to hear answer before moving on. "You holding up, Ulric? What about you, Celeste, Hadrin," asks Kaythek, keeping an ear out for anything else coming along.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-10-19 at 07:40 PM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter over! 270 XP and no trust loss for tonight as well as a +1 to your trust score.

Under the Everlight's guidance, the skeleton explodes just as if it had been hit by one of Briar's bombs. Kaythek fares almost as well with the last one. As it falls to the sound of the half-orc's bestial cry, the chill in the air lightens a little and the whole of the graveyard goes silent. Were anyone to pass, they never would imagine that a life and death struggle happened here until they see the bodies.

Kendra, for her part, remains a little shocked after her brush with death. Celeste, on the other hand, gains a glint of pride in her eyes, which is reaffirmed as Hadrin, a rare smile gracing his taciturn face, gives her a quick salute.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

After offering healing to any that require it, Augustin stops to contemplate the events. His brow is furrowed, concern evident, though beneath that hides a shadow of depression.

"Bodies should not be rising from the grave here, not in the restlands. Father Grimburrow is far to competent and dedicated, as I saw tonight, to so completely neglect the rites. No priest worth the name could. There is something powerful afoot, perhaps more-so than we hoped, though not more than we feared. I have no doubts, though I will not speak the groups name here. Let us return immediately to the estate, after seeing the acolytes here back to their posts."

11. - Top - End - #371

With a sigh, Ulric lets go of his focus and poise for violence.

"Thanks, Kaythek, Hadrin. It was a little tight right here for a few seconds."

He salutes Celeste. "Well done, young one. You did Pharasma proud tonight." Smiling, he calls out to Tamara and Briar: "And I see that you two didn't need any of our help. Quite the team !"

Finally, he puts a comforting hand on Kendra's shoulder. "Miss Kendra, your father was right, as he so often was. Even with our protection, the threat could have been lethal. We need to be even more cautious from now on."

He looks around at the destroyed skeletons now littering the graveyard. "The dead here were horribly used, for a foul purpose. They deserve to go back to their final rest with due dignity. I am not sure Father Grimburrow will want to do that during the night, but we must let him know of these terrible events at once."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-20 at 08:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Kicking some loose dirt unto the undead, Kaythek turns and walks back to the group, clearing his throat of the dust that is in the air and spitting at the path way. "Aye, foul purpose indeed. Being controlled like that, mindless slaves to a weak strengthed coward who wants hide behind minions instead of facing thier battles."

Looking at where the undead clawed him, Kaythek puts his hand up to the injury and closed his eye. "Gorum, Lord in Iron, thank you for your strength. I pray I have brought you honor and glory that you deserve. Sarenrae, grant me your healing, so that I may continue to fight those who seek to destroy life." Once the glow of divine magic fades away, Kaythek opens his eyes and lowers his hand.

"Either way, Father Grimburrow will know of this soon enough. Besides, he may as well want to see what his predecessors have left behind, and might be intrigued by the lack of weapons, since I doubt the Mentor would be able to grab everything," Kaythek says, taking his place on the right side of the group where he was before the conflict began.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-10-20 at 01:49 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

For a few seconds, Tamara runs closer to the group to see if everyone is alright. After concluding that everyone is 'alright enough,' she shouts, "I'm going to go ahead... see Augustin's bugbat thing!" If the dead rising fom the earth had fazed her in the least, her broad grin and exuberant countenance hide it extremely well. Without further discussion she starts to run back to Briar. She says excitedly to the gnome, "we should hurry, before someone cleans it up!" Anxiously, she tries to encourage the gnome to follow her with light jogging and hand motions.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-10-20 at 02:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine nods silently in agreement with the other holy men.

"Let us return to Father Grimburrow as soon as possible, then. Now we have confirmation that something's going on."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #375

Seeing Tamara skip off to look at a dead creature, Kaythek just breaks out a smile and shakes his head. Aye, she's a handful, that one, he thinks to himself as he looks at the undead, then up at Celeste and Hadrin, thinking something.

"Just to be on the safe side, should we consider puting some holy water on the undead that have attacked us?" Kaythek asks, looking to the others. "This way they shouldn't come back until they get reburied."

While waiting for their reply, Kaythek looks to Morcaine. "That is true, it is a confirmation. But of what, we don't know just yet. Regardless, given the nature what has happened, and the fact you two, Celeste and Hadrin, have acquited yoruselves, I believe we can tell you more of the "brigands"."

(OOC: While waiting for the group to decide on what to do about the undead, and regardless of whether the rest of the group thinks it's a good idea or not, Kaythek will be telling Celeste and Hadrin of what he knows of the Whispering Way and the fact they were at Harrowstone when the Professor discovered them and his attempt to stop them.)

Favorite Merc Maxims

16. - Top - End - #376

Briar

The gnome follows quickly after Tamara, though not quite so quickly as the eager halfling. She had to preserve some of the dignity of Lepidstadt University, even in such a trivial place as this. "Yes, yes," she huffs as she runs; "I am coming."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin responds to Kaythek's inquiry about holy water. "If whatever forced these bodies out of the grave can do so here, despite the proper rituals and preparations, than I am not certain holy water will be sufficient. More to the point, there are many other bodies still in the ground and we certainly lack the resources to re-consecrate the entire restlands. I wish to report to Father Grimburrow with his acolytes immediately, then return to the estate. I have some other questions for the father as well, in addition to wanting to ensure his recovery."

He looks after Tamara and Briar, "I am loather, however, to separate us again, even though we prevailed here. Ought someone accompany them? If not to protect them then to protect the village from an excess of education and enthusiasm?"

18. - Top - End - #378

"My friend, we are trying to protect the village from the darkest of forces, and as it is, that task is daunting enough. Let Ravengro protect itself against enthusiasm, even the halfling kind. The village should be able to cope with that", Ulric replies with one of his strange half-smiles.

"And our sworn duty is to protect Miss Kendra. I'd rather have as big as group as possible stay with her until she is home and safe. As for the rest, I agree with you: Let's go see Father Grimburrow at once."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-21 at 07:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379

It makes sense, Kaythek thinks as he realizes that Augustin and Ulric were right. Bowing his head in recognition of thier wisdom, Kaythek takes his place on the rightside of the group. "You are right, then," Kaythek says, then gesturing to the route the Tamara and Briar are taking.

"We should head out, then. Meanwhile," Kaythek says, gesturing to Celeste and Hadrin, "we should be enlightening you as to what the Mentor has died in trying to prevent from happening at Harrowstone that we know of so far."

Spoiler
    Show

Forgotten to cast a cure light wounds (1d6+1)[2](3)

Favorite Merc Maxims

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hadrin and Celeste nod solemnly along with Augustin's reasoning. "The undead shouldn't have risen at all," Celeste confirms. "They've long been under the protection of the church. It has to be something bigger."

As the conversation progresses, Kendra starts to return to her old self and gives her own thoughts on the matter. "I think seeing the father is the best course of action. It will take all night to rebury the dead and collect the fragments of the ones that exploded. He and the priests should be notified so they can begin as soon as possible. I don't trust our chances of not being attacked again in the night."

A short time later Briar and Tamara make it to the memorial and do indeed find the remains of the monsters that attacked the ceremony, resting in pools of blood that aren't entirely their own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry it's so quick. Busy busy.

Main group: The Father will still be available if you call upon him.

Tamara, Briar: Arcana check

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara grabs a nearby stick and immediately starts prodding. She drags the tiny beast from the blood and examines its wings first - four of them. She starts to look at the needle-like proboscis, audibly 'ooo'ing and 'ahh'ing at each new discovery. She grins excitedly at Briar, "these are much more interesting than centipedes! I wish I had been here. Four wings!!! Like dragon flies! Have you seen one of these before?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Upon returning to Father Grimburrow, Augustin Nods a greeting. "How are you feeling father? I am loathe to trouble you now, but events are far too pressing to wait even until morning."

<He gives Grimburrow a summary of what they found, the items they recovered, and the attack afterword.>

"As you can see, matters are grave indeed if the power opposing us can stir the dead even in the restlands. I will give any aid I can in settling the desecrated remains, but we felt it best to inform you at once. It may be better business for the light of day regardless. The darkness here seems to have grown teeth, terror and abominations haunting the night."

"Our friend Morcaine here wishes to stay with Gibs over night, to be ready in the event that whatever drove him to act comes again. I intend to see the lady Kendra home, though afterword you have my hand for any task that is needed, though I ask to be free to attend the meeting tomorrow." Though rest would do wonders, the floor still keeps trying to move out from under me. "The shorter members of our party are inspecting the creatures that attacked the ceremony. I suspect they will be along soon enough."

23. - Top - End - #383

Nodding at Celeste's statement. "And that, unfortunately, can be seen as confirmation of the enemy," Kaythek states, looking around as the group starts heading out of the Restlands, keeping his falchion out in case of another ambush. "According to the Mentor, a group called the Whispering Way was at the Prison shortly before his death. For what purpose, he, and now us, could only guess at, though due to the history of the Way and the Prison, it could be that there was someone of great importance being held there. That is why we are going to be going through the records, find out who or what was there that would draw the Way's attention after, what, 50 years since the prison burned down."

As Kaythek goes on, he pays attention to the two priests for their reaction, seeing if they recognize the Whispering Way and the Prison, and that they might know more about them. We can probably trust them, but at the same time we should just be as wary, Kaythek thinks as they continue moving. "But that's what we have so far. Have either of you heard anything recently?"

Spoiler
    Show

It's not that I don't trust them, but if they know anything then that can help the investigation it'll due wonders for us.

Sense motive to see if either Celeste or Hadrin know anything more about the Way.

Sense motive on Celeste (1d20+4)[10](14).
    Sense motive on Hadrin (1d20+4)[20](24).

Diplomacy check to see if they know anything, if they do (doubt it, since they may not have been members long). (1d20+9)[6](15) (3 from CHA + 1 from Skill Rank + 3 From Class Skill + 2 from Reputation)

Once back at the Cathedral, Kaythek does his part of looking bored and not-quite-so intimidating, arms crossed as he hears Augustin give a recap of the night events. Only when he mentions that Morcaine wants to observe Gibs does Kaythek get involved, staging a cough to draw Augustin's attention. "I'm going as well," Kaythek says, raisng a hand to emphasize the point. No sense in going off on your own when that'll be easier to pick us off, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-10-22 at 01:44 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

24. - Top - End - #384

Briar

The gnome joins Tamara in her inspection, several times having to redirect the halfling's poking so that she can get a better look. "Hmph," she grumbles. "Crude methods of death lamentable. Bludgeoning: how is one supposed to identify crucial features when said features are crushed out of existence by loutish brawn?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+11)[19]

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

In spite of the condition of these creatures that Briar so laments, she is able to easily tell that these are stirges. Common enough to tell the difference between them and some sort of giant mosquito. Upon closer inspection, she will also realize that these things are a little bigger than their standard cousins. If the genus were to continue this divergent trend, then a much larger threat may lay ahead in the future.

Spoiler
    Show
    The checkresult is enough to reveal all of the pertinent information on stirges found here.

As Kayrthek speaks about the Way, he has a relatively easy time of reading the two acolytles. Hadrin doesn't know anything. The news of the way is a bit surprising to him and considering that this news is coming from a member of your number without revisions or interruptions from the others, he assumes it to be true and narrows his eyes at the thought of the hated group.

Celeste doesn't know anything either. More of an open book than Hadrin, she seems to be surprised that some boogeyman from childhood stories would want someone as insignificant as her to die.

After a short trip and wait, Father Grimburrow answers their summons. Though he looks even paler and older than he ever did before, he seems to be doing fine for the moment. That is, until he hears the news of the massive attack from the restless dead in the graveyard. Then he unsteadily finds a seat and absorbs the enormity of what has happened.

"You were right to come to me first,"
    he says finally, "and you were right to wait. Business of this type should wait until tomorrow in the daylight. I'll gladly accept any help you might offer, but you might be best served looking over our records before the meeting. The more informed you are, the more likely things are to swing favorably in your direction."

"In the meantime I'll have the Restland's gates locked. There's no telling how many of the interred may have escaped already. So if you go to observe Gibs, then, by all means, be careful."

26. - Top - End - #386

Briar

"Especially large stirges," the doctor states simply. She corrects Tamara: "Not dragonflies. Egg-laying, yes, but wings are fleshy: observe." The gnome slices a piece of the wing off and holds it up to Tamara to show her the inside.

"Now," she says definitively. "I am going to bed. This has been quite enough excitement for any day, thank you very much."

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar will return to the Lorrimor house and get some rest.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin bows to Grimburrow. "A wise plan. If there are no more questions, we shall leave you for the night. I shall return at first light to study those records. We all need a good rest after this day's events." He begins to turn to leave, then pauses.

"One more thing. Could you tell me more of the consecration ritual? I followed parts of it, but the exact details eluded me." Milky eyes look askance to the old priest, honest curiosity on his face.

28. - Top - End - #388

Ulric interrupts Augustin mid-sentence.

"Excuse me, my friend, but yes, I do have one more question. Before we go to the rest we all need. Last night, our sleep - for all of us - was interrupted by truly terrifying nightmares, and I suspect many in town may have had them too. I can't help but think that these dreams are linked to the dark forces now besieging Ravengro.

Is there a way we could protect the town against those nightmares ?"

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Wow..." Tamara utters as she admires the muscular features within the wing. "Okay, I'll catch up later Briar. Wow... half bat, half mosquito... flying monotremes!" Tamara mutters with surprise and reverence.

After she has her fill of ogling the very awesome creature, she wanders about town for an hour. While if anyone were to ask, she would courteously reply that she is "making sure everyone is safe." While there is some truth to this, she is really just looking for more very awesome creatures!

Once she gives up, she heads back to the Lorrimor household.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Ulric interrupts Augustin mid-sentence.

"Excuse me, my friend, but yes, I do have one more question. Before we go to the rest we all need. Last night, our sleep - for all of us - was interrupted by truly terrifying nightmares, and I suspect many in town may have had them too. I can't help but think that these dreams are linked to the dark forces now besieging Ravengro.

Is there a way we could protect the town against those nightmares ?"
    Morcaine

"Short of stopping the source of the problem itself, which seems to definitely be Harrowstone, I doubt it. But I may be wrong."

Morcaine thinks back to her training in Lastwall. Was there anything her inquisitor training had taught her about nightmares of this nature?

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine makes a Knowledge (religion) check to try and remember anything her training taught her about widespread supernatural-seeming nightmares.

(1d20+7)[24]