Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Kaythek

Nodding from where he was, Kaythek was happy that there was something to look forward besides a burial. It'll be good to talk of his life, instead of just talking the Mentor's death, Kaythek thought as he was corrected by the various guests after the halflings tale. Shrugging, Kaythek was about to say something when the gnome spoke.

In the minute the gnome spoke, Kaythek felt his mouth opening. When she stopped speaking, Kaythek felt that the schooling he just recieved was more than retribution for his earlier antics. Uh, what just happened? Kaythek closed his mouth and looked at the others, then looked back at the gnome. "Does it count that you break peoples' brain, little one?"

Turning to the others, Kaythek hoped he wasn't the only whose brain hurts now, and took stock of the situation. "So, uh, what's next," he inquired, not sure what he should do next. I think the gods and goddess decided that now would be a good time for me to shut up.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-05 at 07:33 PM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulric

As it was, the situation wouldn't have been the most comfortable for the gruff warrior, one more at ease on a battlefield than a social gathering, whether joyous or sad. To make things worse on that grim day, he had showed up tired, dusty, and late to boot. And now this ! It made him want to fade into the background. These people mean well, I am sure of that... But... What do I say or do now ? He cast a glance in the direction of Kendra, hoping for a clue on where the ceremony was supposed to go from there.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the pallbearers take their positions and talk amongst themselves, Kendra pales slightly as she hears Kaythek mention “that” particular orc custom. Once the positions are settled however, the long walk down the gravel path into the Restlands, known as the Dreamwake, begins. Kendra leads the procession followed closely by the pallbearers and the casket. As they carry it however, the pallbearers quickly learn that the caskets heavy wooden frame requires them to hold onto the braces with both hands lest it pitch dangerously close to tipping. Not more than a few steps behind them Augustin, Tamara, and Briar travel with the rest of the townsfolk that showed up. From the scant few days since you’ve arrived you know enough to recognize them by sight.

Councilman Vashian Hearthmount is more familiar to you in word only from the short letter he sent you concerning the death of the professor. Councilman Gharen Muricar, the town’s unofficial historian, proprietor of the “Wealday Parchment,” a local paper, and resident harmless lecher, who seems quite content to be trailing behind so many comely young women. The next pair are the infamous tavern keeper of the Laughing Demon, Zokar Elkarid, and his 13-year old son Pevrin. Bringing up the rear is the town’s apothecary Jominda Fallenbridge, who, if the rumors are true, is a purveyor of some less than legal substances.

As the path joins another called the Eversleep, Kendra halts, a look of confusion spreading across her face. Thirty or forty paces ahead on the path, a dozen surly men appear to have been waiting for the procession to arrive, each brandishing a tool of some sort. The tallest of them, a retired soldier named Gibs Hephenus, speaks for the rabble as he calls out to the procession.

“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Spoiler
    Show

This is a preliminary round, no initiative.

Pallbearers: It will take all your effort to set the casket down safely if you choose to do so. Due to the weight and awkwardness of the casket, any action other than speaking and/or moving in unison could cause it to slip from your fingers.

Morcaine, Kaythek: Something about the way these ruffians hover near Gibs tells you that they aren't wholly committed to this fight. There is a chance you can talk them down, and even if they are provoked, they certainly aren't killers.
    Last edited by jjj54; 2011-08-06 at 04:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Surprised by this turn of events, Morcaine cries out, "Why, pray tell? You would be willing to interfere with Pharasma's will, the grief of a member of your own community, and prevent the rightful interment of a noble, heroic man? Explain yourselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+7)[25]

THE TEN-MINUTE BACKGROUND
    Based off of the Minimus RPG engine, copyright 2008 Ad Astra Games, used with permission. Minimus is donation-ware, if you like it, please contribute as per the instructions in the file.

Grey Warden avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth. Many thanks!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Augustin

Augustin steps forward, raising empty hands, "Come, let us pass. You all know the importance of proper burial. Any grievance you may have had with this man is surely past. Any matters that remain un-redressed, I will hear them after. You have the word of Augustin of House Drago, servant of the Lady of Graves, I will work to see matters settled."

"However, I will see this burial through. I will not have my friend disturbed and his daughter harassed, not on this day."
    He raises the medallion carved with a spiral from his neck, "In Pharasma's name, stand aside!"

I hope I don't regret leaving my armor and shield at the inn. At least I have my dagger, but I hope it won't come to that.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy (1d20+5)[24]
    intimidate (1d20+4)[22]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulric

The scarred paladin calmly reviews the situation, thinking to himself. At least I didn't have time to leave any equipment behind at the inn. Guess there is something to say for being late.

"Mind if we lower the casket down now ?" he whispers to the other pallbearers. "On the count of three... one... two..."

Unless one of the others objects, he will say "three" and start lowering the heavy load on cue.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are few things the halfling will not take with a smile and this is clearly one of them. Tamara steps forward, her voice is full of fury as she berates the rabble, "how could you disgrace Petros like this! With poor Kendra here no less! All of you should be ashamed of yourselves! Stand aside and let the funeral of this great and noble man take place!" Her sword may be almost comically large at her back, but something in her eyes indicates that this slander has crossed a boundary that she will not, can not, abide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (aid): (1d20+8)[11]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-06 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added sentence

8. - Top - End - #38

Briar

The gnome's constantly-large eyes widen further, filled with indignation. She splutters furiously at the assembled ruffians, gesticulating wildly.

"He isn't going in the burial grounds, illiterate... Your graveyard is being honoured with a man of science! He has done no harm! He will certainly do no harm; decomposition is not generally pleasant, but never in recorded history has it been gross effrontery! Superstitious nonsense! You're all superstitious! she shrieks. It is quite possibly the gravest insult she can concoct.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wynette, being shorter and of a much smaller build than the other pallbearers, has been slightly regretting carrying the heavy casket. When she hears the countdown, she is more than willing to lower the casket carefully to the ground for the time being.
    Last edited by Makleveh; 2011-08-06 at 02:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Eyes narrowings, Kaythek looks over in Ulric's direction when the paladin suggested putting the casket down. "We should do that," Kaythek as he waited for everyone start lowering their ends so that the Mentor will be put on the ground safely. So, they wish to derail The Mentor's final wish. Well, let's try talking to them first.

(OOC: My character will try to lower the casket in unison and set the professor down gently before he does anything more.)
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a moment an angry ripple spreads through the mob as they’re addressed by these “outsiders.” At the same time, however, the words of Augustin, Tamara, and Morcaine seem to be having a positive effect. Gibs spits on the ground and a few of the men take this cue to start advancing, “You don’t get it. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still ca...”

A hand on Gib’s shoulder stops him from finishing his sentence. The hand’s owner shakes his head at Gibs before speaking to the rest of his fellows. “Dandy with the scar’s right. Ain’t proper to stop a funeral. Let’s go boys.”

With that he walks off south, giving the procession a wide berth. The others slowly trickle away as well. The last to leave is Gibs, who without his backup, casts a withering glance at Kendra and the others before leaving as well. As they make their exit, a withered old man in the vestments of Pharasma dashes into view from behind a low hill and is followed by two gravediggers with their shovels at the ready.

“Is everyone all right? We heard a commotion at the gravesite and hurried here as fast as we could.”

“It’s nothing these fine young men and women couldn’t handle,” Zokar says as the rest of the congregation nods their heads in agreement, “Just Gibs stirring up trouble.”

“Damned old fool,” the priest, who must be Father Grimburrow, replies, “Somebody should lock him up. No sense in getting people over excited they way things are now.”

“Sheriff Caeller will be paying him a visit,” Hearthmount grumbles loudly as he fixes his tie, settling the matter.

As the procession prepares to start back up again, Kendra turns to you and bows her head in gratitude, “Thank you once more. I shudder to think of how that could have turned out or what those ruffians were capable of.”

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems I had a little extra time tonight, so I got my next post out ahead of schedule. Hoorah!

Diplomacy will carry the day today. You've each earned 15 XP and managed to gain one trust point for your group in the process. Congrats.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine nods and crouches down to raise the casket once again.

"Sometimes a little reason is all it takes to dispel the darkness. Though I am curious as to this talk of necromancers and overexcited people. We shall discuss it later."

Based off of the Minimus RPG engine, copyright 2008 Ad Astra Games, used with permission. Minimus is donation-ware, if you like it, please contribute as per the instructions in the file.

13. - Top - End - #43

Kaytheks nods as he hears the conversation between Kendra and the rest of the group. I just hope that will be last of the people who want to disrupt the Mentor's funeral, Kaytheks thinks as he looks around with his limited vision.

Upon hearing Morcaine's statement, Kaytheks nods again. It'll be good to find out why the people here think he is a necromancer, as Kaythek recalls some of the things he saw the Mentor do, which few if any of his actions could be described as evil. Maybe fool hardy, but he knows the risks involved.

Favorite Merc Maxims

14. - Top - End - #44

"Don't worry, Kendra!" Tamara says cheerfully, "I won't let any bad things happen today!" Unbeknownst to the others, Tamara's definitive of a "bad" event does not include a potentially mortal fray with a bunch of ruffians. However, in her eyes, a minor injury to Kendra would certainly have been a bad thing.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-08 at 02:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Briar

The gnome is still red-faced and fuming, though she lets the men go with only an equally-withering (if somewhat less intimidating) glare at Gibs.

"The corpse should be interred before it is again put at risk." The gnome does not sound at all funereal; she sounds like she is in a laboratory.

"Let us proceed," she adds, gesturing at the coffin and waving her hands imperiously, signalling that it should once again be lifted by its bearers.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulric

Relieved to see that there will be no further mayhem, Uric lifts his part of the casket back up, so the procession can resume in peace.

Sometime later, it could be interesting to have a chat with this Gibs person. Why does he think Petros worked in black magic ?
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-08-08 at 11:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Griffon

Wynette, glad the confrontation is over, again helps hoist the casket as they make their way to the grave site.

Necromancy? Did he? He never mentioned that- could it be true? Gibs? Was that the man's name? I need to talk to him. I need to find out if that was the truth.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

The progress towards the gravesite goes off without a hitch for the rest of the short trek. Grimburrow’s presence certainly adds an air of security to the proceedings. As the pallbearers arrive at the grave, they are instructed to lay the casket next to the grave and to find a place with the rest of the crowd at the foot of the grave. As father Grimburrow takes his place next to the coffin and begins to speak, the gravediggers busily winch and lower the coffin into the plot.

“We now commit the soul of our friend, Petros Lorrimor, to the bone yard of the goddess Pharasma to be judged and delivered to his just reward. It is often said amongst our faith that the greater the toil in this life, the greater the reward in the next. I know that Petros dedicated his life to seeking the darkest of evils and rooting them out to protect us all. For this he suffered accusations, such as you have heard today, and wounds of both body and soul. Now, as we are gathered here to pay our respects, I ask those who knew him best to make their case under the watchful eyes of Lady of Graves so that our father, teacher, and friend can be judged accordingly.”

When Vauran finishes, he moves aside to let any who wish to speak to come forward. Kendra quickly moves to take his place. She dabs at her eyes with the kerchief, for a moment, unable to say anything as her resolve escapes her. But taking a look at your faces, she takes a steadying breath and finds he voice again.

“My father was, for me at least, a storyteller. He was away often as I grew up, but every time he returned, he would regale me with the accounts of his exploits and deeds. There are too many to mention. I could spend hours retelling them to you. He lived as much in those words and the lessons he tried to impart to me as he did out in the world. Now with him gone all I have are those words to accompany me.

He knew, with the unique wisdom of a parent, that one day he would be gone from my life. He gave them to me as a gift. A keepsake to hold dear so that, in one fashion at least, he would never be torn from my side. Today we all have a unique opportunity. Those who have traveled with him and shared his adventures are with us today. I invite them to step forward and share their own perspective on my father; one none of us might have known.”

Spoiler
    Show
    If your character does choose to speak, make a Diplomacy or Perform: Oratory roll.

19. - Top - End - #49

Well, sieze the day, Kaythek thought as he took a step forward. "Greetings. To those that d not already know me, my name is Kaythek. I was a student of the Mentor many years ago, when he, a dwarf named Zacharious, and Seer Orthok came to my clan when they were preparing for war. At the time, I just had my vision taken from me, with an already dim future. If they hadn't come along, I would have been enslaved, beaten, tortured, and starved to death. For that, I owe them my life." Kaythek took a deep breath and looked at the others. "When the gods decided that Orthok should be taken, The Mentor and Zacharious took me and ran for civilization. Luckily, the gods were on our side, and made it Magnimar. There, though, Zacharious and the Mentor gotten in to an arguement. Though I remember few details, for niether really spoke of the issue, they refused to speak to each other sincethen."

Kaythek looked to Kendra, taking a deep breath, doing his best to keep his emotions in check. At times your father can be stubborn, especially when it came to problem students, and even gave Zacharious a run for his money at times, with that dwarven pride and bullheadedness his," said, smiling as he recalled a few problems they wouldn't stop working on, no matter how long they took, "But he also knew when to approach it from a different angle. Unfortunately, those times are passed, but it was his highest hope and ream that his students will expand on his knowledge that he taught us. In that, I will hold in my heart, and hopefully I can learn not to hold a grudge that can end a friendship that took too long to build."

Gods and Goddesses of War and Battle,, Kaythek prayed as he took a step back, may you watch over the Mentor. Even though he wasn't a warrior on the battelefield, his knowledge often tiped the scales on it. Let his passing be not in vain.

(1d20+7)[12]

Favorite Merc Maxims

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine steps forward after Kaythek is finished.

"Good afternoon, good people of Ravengro. I am Morcaine of Grayce, a servant of the Inheritor. Though I've lived the past few years in Lastwall, like the Professor I'm Ustalavic to the core. And I owe Petros more than I can possibly say. When I was a little girl in my home village of Grayce, I had begun to hear a voice calling my name, a voice only I could hear. I was frightened of that voice, and when I did not follow it summoned the dead to try and make me follow. It was then that Professor Lorrimor, and my own mentor, Sir Able of Vigil, came. They ended the undead threat, and the Professor told me what it was. It was my mother calling to me, trying to turn me into a terrible monster like her. At the Professor's urging, we sought her out, and with the help of a few other brave adventurers, we tracked her to her lair in Barstoi and managed to subdue her, putting her on trial and then burning her at the stake, as she deserved. These events molded me into the woman I am today, a Knight of Ozem, an Inquisitor and Preacher, and a seeker of good to defend and evil to destroy. While Petros and I were very different people, we both shared an unshakeable desire to do the right thing, no matter the cost, and that memory is what I carry with me always. It's not enough to say he was a good man, for he was that to everyone. So let me say it like this. He was a champion of virtue, right up until the end."

Once she finishes, she steps back to let another forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[16]

21. - Top - End - #51

Twice now, Tamara has tried to step forward when one of the tall folk beat her to it. So, she stepped back and waited politely for them to finish before trying to take the attention again. Once Morcaine finishes, Tamara leaps forward, the sudden motion pulling the attention of everyone. Even before she lands she begins to speak loudly, "my good friend, Petros Lorrimor, was incredible. Anything that any of us can say about him will be an understatement - a huge understatement." Tamara's voice had in it all the effect and accentuation of actor trying to work a crowd, "his life was full of adventure! He travelled the continent a hundred times over, battling villains and the unknown at every turn. He devoted himself tirelessly to defeating this evil. He was known to most as a scholar, but that was just a cover! See, he needed to know all sorts of things about his enemies to aid him in defeating them! Petros was a great hero who did more amazing things with his life than the sum total of our memories of him relay. You were the best, Petros. You were... are my role model, my hero, my friend. I'm going to miss you dearly!" Tamara smiles, mostly to Kendra, then retreats deftly back into the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[27]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-09 at 01:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulric

The dusty paladin takes a while to ponder in his mind what he wants to say, while at the same time listening to the other mourners' stories.

O Sarenrae, please inspire my words, that they be worthy of the good man we are committing to the earth this day.

When he speaks, he does so in a clear, but low voice, without hesitation but with a great deal of humility.

"My name is Ulric Izzorden, from the village of Wissant, a few leagues to the west of Tamrivena. For most of my years, I have helped guard the land against enemies of many sorts, not all of them living.

To me, Professor Petros Lorrimor was a healer. After my comrades and I met our fate in the cursed lands, he was able to heal not my body, for not one of those who tried could, but my spirit. He brought me back from being half a man with just half a face, away from deadly despair, back to the life of the really living. Petros inspired me to start over, to pledge myself to the Dawnflower and take up the fight on behalf of the people of Ustalav once again.

Petros, my friend, my debt to you is not of the kind that one can ever repay. May the light of dawn always shine upon your soul."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[24]

23. - Top - End - #53

Briar

Briar sniffs at Tamara's statement that Lorrimor's scholarship was a cover for more daring deeds. She steps forwards after the halfling finishes, clearing her throat.

"Hrmm, hrmm. What more needs to be said of Professor Petros Lorrimor than that he was the author of dozens of books and hundreds of papers? He was a theorist and natural philosopher without peer, and the products of his multifarious studies have been recognized. I applaud his achievement thusly, but further remind you all that even the requisite impartiality of a scholar does not extend to all things. Professor Lorrimor told me once that the goal of the totality of his body of works has been to alter the world for the better. In that sense, he said, libraries and laboratories are occasionally best left alone. By stepping out into the world to achieve goals directly, they may be accomplished more than otherwise possible. Lorrimor did this; for that, he should be an icon for you all."

She steps back, muttering under her breath. Though were this Lepidstadt University, it would be mere uninteresting redundancy to even mention the practical applications of his science."

24. - Top - End - #54

Griffon

Wynette stands before the assembled mourners when her turn comes, and speaks simply and honestly.

"I have met many of you for the first time here today, and after hearing your stories and tales of Lorrimor, I can certain that I did not know the Professor like any of you did. When I met him, he was a simple traveler, in need of an escort, as many do in troubled times as these. Through our journey, though, he opened up to me as a man of knowledge and of intelligence, who, I believe, found many of the same traits in me. We stayed in touch through the years, and he has confided in me much, and even asked for my opinion and expertise many times. He was able to see past my convictions and past and judge me for what I am. What we have lost was a great man, yes, but also one of the truest judges of character I have ever known."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! [roll0]

25. - Top - End - #55

Augustin

Not used to an audience of strangers. Still it's a funeral, it is my duty to speak. A few words are the least this man deserves.

Augustin steps forward after the young woman finishes,

"What can I add that has not been said? I knew him but briefly, a chance savior encountered in a lifetime spent delving into the worst darkness, bringing light and healing to so many lives. It was my honor to help him to continue his work. My only regret is that I could not follow him and know him better."

"A father, friend, teacher, rescuer, colleague. He lived fully and left his mark on us all. He was a great man, but more importantly, he was a good man. We can rejoice that his cares are over. We can celebrate his life and honor him by following his example and bringing light and healing to those we meet. In doing so we can spread the professor's work ever farther and leave all Avistan better for his having been here."

He bows his head and steps back. It is not his ceremony to complete.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

As all of you take your turn to speak, you can see that those in the crowd nod sagely as they recognize a name or event mentioned, or just have an inkling of the man confirmed. Notably out of all of them, Pevrin Elkarid seems to be enraptured as visions of adventure with a touch of selfless kindness dance in his eyes. If nothing else you have certainly instilled a profound sense of respect for Petros in this boy, and perhaps even inspired a new generation to take up the fight against the evils of this land. Through it all, Kendra simply smiles as you reaffirm her faith in you.

With that the ceremony ends as the gravediggers shovel pile after pile of dirt onto the casket. Unnoticed by nearly everyone, save for Morcaine and Wynette, a whippoorwill flies into the air as Petros is buried and wings it’s way towards parts unknown. Then the small crowd disperses making their way back to town, except for Councilman Hearthmount who motions for Kendra to join him. After a moment’s discussion out of earshot, the Councilman takes his leave as well and Kendra returns to your side.

“I would like to invite you all to follow me home and have a drink before the will is read. Since we are all here, Vashian wants to resolve this matter as soon as possible. He did tell me that he has some pressing matters to attend to in town, so it will be about an hour before he arrives. I think that it will give us ample time to catch up… Unless anyone has any objections?”

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to your heartfelt and inspiring words, you've managed to earn another trust point, bringing your total to 22.

27. - Top - End - #57

Augustin

"I would be honored to attend. As it has been said, many stories remain." He smiles, "Though I would have to beg guidance of you. I am afraid I might be over-late if left to navigate on my own."

He turns back to the grave, clutching his medallion while whispering one last blessing, then joins Kendra. "It means a great deal to me to have been allowed to aid you today." He trails off, wanting to say more, but thinking it better to wait for another time.

28. - Top - End - #58

Griffon

"I would be honored to share a drink with you all in your father's memory, Kendra."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine smiles as the whippoorwill departs.

"You'll find him worthy, Lady of Graves," she says quietly.

When Kendra offers a drink, Morcaine nods.

"Some refreshment would be welcome."

30. - Top - End - #60

Well, at least wasn't too bad, Kaythek as the rest of the group said their parts. Hope we did you proud, Mentor.

Turning with the group, Kaythek nodded and smiled. "It'll be good to exchange what we know of the Mentor." After all, it's what he would want us to do.

When Augustin made his comment, Kaythek smiled and laughed. "The Gods and Goddesses gotten you as well," he said, pointing at his slate gray eyes. "They took mine a long time ago. Gave me a purpose and a way out of the clan, so I can't say it's been an uneven trade. But our fate will tell us if was," shrugging at the end of his comment. "Either way, let's make it back to the house. I would like to know what the Mentor has been doing for these last few years."

(OOC: That's why I didn't comment of your eyes, Morcaine. The only thing he would have seen that they were different shades of grey. That's all. Oh, and he was from Magnimar originally, so it may not have been as weird as you would think, I guess.)
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-10 at 11:58 AM.

Favorite Merc Maxims