New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Ulric

"Doctor, with all due respect, I have seen Morcaine at work before. From your words, I take it you have not. I recommend you wait a little until you venture such comments.

I also recommend we go all together. Something in the air is wrong, and that tells me we will need the talents of every one of us."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the group seems to give their consent, Pevrin smiles back at them, happy to help. He waits until everyone is ready, however, before leading you all towards the monument. Kendra accompanies the procession as well, having had enough time to make herself presentable and to grab her father’s journal. While it might be a bad time to get the Sheriff’s undivided attention, she believes, and tells you as much, that this is as good a chance as any to get him to listen to her words.

While it is certainly not awash in buckets of blood, as Pevrin said, the tall statue is obviously bloodstained. Near its base a conspicuously clean section of the statue is marred by a jagged “V.” Obviously placed for attention, the message, if it could be called that, eludes you all for now.

Milling about the statue are four people, far fewer than Kaythek was probably expecting, but enough considering how early it is. One, a deputy named Riff, stands guard near the statue. He’s not alone though, next to him is Councilwoman Mirta Straelock watching, with some concern, a heated exchange between a tall man in a leather duster and a sour tempered farmer known to you all as funeral protester Gibs Hephenus.

“I tell you it’s those new folks hangin’ around,
    ” he shouts, fixing the lot of you with a furious glare, “What? Come to add more blood? What’d you dice up to do this anyway?!”

The man in the long coat, who’s had enough of the arguing, plainly says so, “Gibs… Either stand back and shut up or go on home. I warned you about making trouble once already.”

Gibs says nothing, seething, and the man who could only be Sheriff Benjan Caeller switches focus to the Pevrin, his displeasure with the boy even more obvious than his previous argument.

“Pevrin, I thought you agreed to keep this quiet for the time being. What, in the name of any of the gods who care to listen, are you playing at here? Who are these people and why the hell did you bring them here?”

Spoiler
    Show
    Wynette: Nothing stands out in particular as you try to recall some information.

Briar, Wynette, Tamara: This was most likely the work of one or more humanoids considering the finger prints in and around the “V.” There may still be a chance to track down the party(ies) responsible.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Raising an eyebrow when he hears Gibs and the locals, Kaythek tries to carefully walk around the memorial. "Gibs, I told you once already," Kaythek says as he walks toward the memorial, making his way to the front of it. "Just because I have a sister doesn't mean I'm going to tell you where to go see her. You're too old, you can't handle the initiation into the clan, and no amount of alcohol is going to get her to sleep with ya." Kaythek says as he breaks out a wide grin in an attempt to lighten the mood. Well, except for Gibs, but he's a pain in the rearend at the moment.

Before any of the locals start asking why he's getting so close, he turns to them and points at his gray eyes. "Yes, I am blind," he says bending low and smelling the blood, then straightening back and looking as best as he can at the blood. Thank the gods there's enough of a difference between the blood and the ground, I hope.

"Anything going on as far as people or animals missing, Sheriff? Seems to be alot of blood here, but not too much."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check to try to light the mood a bit. (1d20+7)[16]
    Survival Check by smell on the blood (1d20+5)[12]

And since others might try it as well, Perception check as well (1d20+4)[23]

Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-30 at 09:47 PM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine approaches the sherriff, a serious look on her face.

"Sheriff Caeller, I don't know if we were formally introduced, but I am Morcaine of Grayce, a Knight of Ozem and Inquisitor of Iomedae. I arrived here in Ravengro yesterday to attend the funeral of my dear friend, the late Professor Lorrimor, a funeral our mutual acquaintance Gibs attempted to disrupt. Young Master Elkarid informed us of this horrendous desecration of a local monument, and I felt it was my duty, as a servant for the goddess of justice, to aid in investigating this event, with your permission, of course. As per the instructions in Professor Lorrimor's will, I will be remaining in Ravengro for the next month, and would be honored to aid you in your work in keeping Ravengro safe, at no charge."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+7)[9]
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara gets close to the memorial as well. She looks at it for several seconds then sighs a loud exasperated sigh, "humanoids did this... that's for sure. That rules out most of the interesting possible culprits!" Then her eyes perk up and her smile widens, "let's see where this goes!" She clearly doesn't know much about following tracks, but she is looking all the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[10] to find tracks

Survival is needed to follow them, but perception may be used to find a single print to get someone started...

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara looks up from the stone she upturned to laugh at Morcaine's overly formal request, "of course, we can investigate! The sheriff wants to know as much as we do! More eyes are better, and he knows we only mean to help. Then after the adventure, we can have a cold one at the pub together and talk about how great everything went!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[15] . . . Tamara style!!!
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-30 at 09:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin detaches Kendra's hand from his arm, whispering to her "Thank you for guiding me." He approaches the sheriff. "Our party, as you have certainly deduced, have all been summoned by the late professor's will and are staying with Lady Kendra for her time of grief. As such, we have absolutely no interest in desecrating this fine monument to the noble sacrifice of your fellow townsmen. We other our services, collectively, to aid you in any way possible to find whomever is responsible. Hopefully bringing this matter to a satisfactory conclusion may improve the feelings of your citizens toward us."

Having spoken, his hands drop to his sides as he awaits a response, his face remaining calm and reasonable.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy (1d20+5)[7](12)

8. - Top - End - #188

Ulric stays at the back of the group, listening to the exchange, with just a hint of a smile at Kaythek humor, then Tamara's eagerness.

Better not crowd this poor sheriff anymore than he already is. Rather... O Sarenrae, help me sort out the stupid prank from the foul play.

He looks at the statue intently for a few moments, then looks around the scene and the persons standing in front of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentrating to detect evil, first on the V sign, then the statue itself, the blood stains, and finally, if time allows, the people, one by one.

9. - Top - End - #189

As Tamara looks at the blood and Morcaine and Augustin try to get the Sheriff to let them help, Kaythek looks down at the blood around the memorial, trying to see if there's anything that catches his eyes that might lead him towards who or what did this.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival roll (1d20+5)[16] to see if I find anything.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-31 at 12:21 AM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a mini update until everyone has posted.

Sarone, Sanguine: Whoever was here, they did a good job of covering their tracks. In about an hour, after everyone has cleared out, you can try again.

Gwynfrid: Whatever did this, any sense of evil from it has long passed. There is a faint throb in the blood, but the way it flickers looks completely wrong. As if it's evil doesn't really exist yet. As you look around, you can tell the only evil person here is Gibs, but he doesn't even have an aura to him.

Benjan's mood does lighten as you go to work on him. He waves his deputy down as the other man starts to get a little antsy when so many people show up to crowd the area. Gibs, as expected, turns a furious beet red before storming off in a huff.

"Alright, look, I'm sure you folks have good intentions, but I'm going to tell you this just as plainly as I did Gibs before. This is a town of laws and traditions that have served us very well. As long as I'm here, you're not going to cause any trouble or I'll toss you into the jail myself, got it?"

With Augustin okay on his own, Kendra approaches both the councilwoman and the sheriff with Petros' journal. "I know it's a bit of an imposition, but I also have news of my father's death that I think you both should know. We discovered his journal last night and it seems that his death might have been more foul than anyone had imagined..."

"We can talk at my home," Mirta offers as the sheriff nods.

"Keep a lid on things until I return," Caeller calls back to Riff as he turns to leave, a little annoyed that the matter of the professor's death just won't stay dead.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Once people clear out, Morcaine sets to work, looking over the statue and surrounding environs for any possible clues. She stubbornly sticks with it, refusing to leave the site until she's found something leading away from the site. Anything. Anything that could lead her to the perpetrators of this foul deed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine will be taking 20 on a Perception check to locate any sort of trail or something, indicating her dedication to her detective work.

Also, expect her to be doing this a lot if we're going to see a lot of crime scenes like this. Thoroughness is the only way to make sure you don't burn the wrong person at the stake.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-08-31 at 11:56 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Responding to the sheriff, Augustin nods, "As you rightly should."

Then, feeling rather useless regarding the search for evidence, goes to follow Kendra, the sheriff, and the councilwomen.

13. - Top - End - #193

As Jibs left in huff, Kaythek let out a laugh and went back to looking at the blood on the ground. As he was doing so, Morcaine walks by him, checking on the memorial as close as she can. Looking up, Kaythek leans his head to the side. "My, what a bloody statue," he says in a humorous tone before takinga step back away from the statue.

"Morcaine, you work with this type of crime before, have," Kaythek asks as he walks around the statue. "See if you're tracking my thinking. Whoever did this thrown the blood onto. Clearly an act to desecrate the memorial. But why put a V on it?" Rotating his head in clockwise a motion a few times before a pop comes from it, Kaythek leans his head again.

"Finger prints. Some one humanoid did this." Kaythek looks closely, then up at the rest of the memorial. "They put the V on it first, then tossed the rest of the blood on it when they were done."

Looking around at the base, Kaythek scane as far as he can see. "Morcaine, if there's isn't a body of an animal or something nearby, then that means the person took what ever they used to carry the blood. Do you see or notice anything that might look like trail or tracks that lead away from the memorial?"
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-09-03 at 01:01 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

14. - Top - End - #194
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wynette narrows her eyes. "What makes you think they didn't use their own blood? I've seen things of this nature get wuite out of hand."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"If they'd done that, they'd have had to preserve the blood somehow before bringing it here, or else it'd have left an easy-to-follow trail here of blood coming from their wounds. You don't make a wound that produces that much blood unless it's a severe one, and while some cultists are indeed fanatical enough to ritualistically stab themselves in the stomach, they're usually not in a well-enough state to cover their escape."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    stack: I wouldn't say Augustin should feel useless here. In fact he has the best chance to clear up this whole mystery using a little piece of fate he happens to possess.

After nearly an hour of searching Morcaine's persistence does pay off. Near the west side of the space cleared for the monument, a tiny piece of white cloth is found snarled in the branches of a bush. Judging by its quality, wherever it came from what fairly old and torn. Alone it wasn't much to go on, but considering where it was found, its owner had avoided the path in order to get here.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Emboldened by the find, Morcaine shows the cloth to the others, and then looks around the bushes where it was found. If someone had taken the time to avoid the path, they probably had left marks in the grass where they'd trod. Morcaine checks for any sign of a path, showing as much dedication as she had before. She knew how to track. It was what she did best.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine will be taking 20 on a Survival check to find a trail and follow it. An effective 27, if that means anything for the DC.

18. - Top - End - #198

Ulric

What a strange reading... Nothing like the things Zelitia taught me to look for... It is the first time I call upon this power without her mentoring, after all. Am I focusing in the wrong way ?

Perplexed, Ulric files away the thought, leaves the field to those who know what they are doing, and silently follows Augustin and the sheriff.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

It takes seven hours of exhaustive searching, but you finally catch on to the trail of the culprit. The odd footprint, stray drop of blood, and odd piece of cloth. The circuitous path leads from the small thicket nearby and into a barren field. Following the trail beyond the field is what might be an unexpected surprise, or a welcome one, as its wandering path comes to an end at the humble shack of Gibs Hephenus.

In the meantime Augustin and Ulric are allowed to join the small meeting in Mirta’s simply furnished, but comfortable home. Kendra does her best to convince the pair of the words in her father’s journal and uses what she learned from everyone last night to support the theory that her father was in fact murdered by the Whispering Way using their usual Modus operandi of destroying their victim’s mouth. While she talks Mirta nods along sadly, as if she believes that Kendra is still clinging to her father’s death.

The sheriff, on the other hand, simply narrows his gaze at the young woman. When she finishes he doesn’t speak, but merely takes Petros’ journal and begins reading. His face softens none when he’s done. It simply a mask of suspicion as he tries to discern what you all are exactly playing at.

“So let’s assume the Petros’ death was, in fact, a murder. What do you want me to do about it? There was no one there when I recovered the body. Do you want me to just announce that there were necromancers that might or might not exist down at Harrowstone? All of your evidence is circumstantial and isn’t worth presenting without a single piece of solid proof. How long would it take for some damn fool to get it in his head to check out Harrowstone and get themselves killed too? How long before another takes Gib’s advice and starts a witch hunt in town for any other ‘necromancers?’ I say no, I’m not going to help start a panic and neither are you or your friends Kendra.”

“I have to agree with Benjan,” Mirta finally speaks up, “Even if you are right dear, the most we could do is send word to the nearby towns that Whispering Way agents might be about. A warning that I‘m sad to say would most likely be considered the ramblings of a little farming town… And that would be the end of it. They aren’t a threat to the town anymore and Petros is dead… It’s sad, but you have to let this go.”

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin sighs quietly, disappointed but unsurprised by their response. "If the professor was correct, then the threat is hardly over. Fortunately for you he ensured there would be fools aplenty to finish his investigation." He stands.

He holds his hands out, rhetorically weighing options. "I and my companions are willing to see the matter through. We will keep you informed of our findings. If we find nothing, you have lost nothing. If we perish, then you have your warning. If we stop whatever they may be planning, you may be much happier. I only ask that you allow us to continue unhindered."
    His hands fall to his sides as he awaits their answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy (1d20+5)[8]

maybe get an aid another from Ulric and Kendra?

Also posting will be light/nonexistant till late Monday.

21. - Top - End - #201

Ulric

The half-masked warrior quietly listens to the exchange, not really surprised by the town leaders' position.

In their shoes, I likely would say the same thing.

When he finally speaks up, he turns to the sheriff to look at him squarely in the eyes, the blazon with the sun angel of Sarenrae clearly visible on his chest as his does so.

"There is no need to start an official inquiry, or to make anything public. As you correctly assess, there isn't much evidence to justify that. Besides, it wouldn't do much good.

On the other hand, I think all of us Professor Lorrimor's friends will volunteer to investigate the matter of his death. Should you give us permission to do so, I will pledge to you that we will proceed with the best possible discretion, not spread any unseemly rumors with the townsfolk, and report any findings to you. Do you find that reasonable ?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[17]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine races back to the others after she finds where the trail leads, informing them of her findings. After that, she rushes to find Sheriff Caeller.

"Sheriff Caeller! Pardon the interruption, but I believe I have discovered the location of our desecrator. The trail was difficult to follow, but it led me to the home of none other than Gibs Hephenus. Which leads me to believe either he was responsible, or he's harboring who is. Would you please accompany me back to Gibs' residence so we may conduct a proper search together? If I started poking around Gibs' home alone it would likely only give him more ammunition to defame us before the townsfolk. If you are searching with us, he has no means of arguing."

23. - Top - End - #203

Great, she's going to be insufferable now, Kaythek thought to himself as Morcaine goes into detail, standing off to her left. When she finished, Kaythek lifted an eye as she stated what she intends to do. Why can't she understand, she doesn't have authority here?

Taking step forward, Kaythek did a fake cough as he gently elbows Morcaine. Leaning forward, Kaythek whispers in her ear. "Tell him about the cloth and foot prints."

Straightening up, Kaythek looks at the Sheriff and Councilwoman. "What my fellow acquantice of the Mentor is asking, Sheriff, is if you're willing to check on Mister Gibs' place. If nothing shows and we are wrong, we'll make apologies to all three of you in one go do to the inquisitor's 'haste'." Kaythek shrugs as hetakes a step back.

(OOC: Diplomacy check, diplomacy check Morcaine.)

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy Check to get the Sheriff to help. (1d20+7)[21]

Favorite Merc Maxims

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I thought that was implicit in the fact that a trail existed at all," Morcaine hisses at Kaythek.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

The gnome remains in the square by the bloodied monument. As Morcaine investigates the trail, the gnome goes about her own work. She approaches the bloody V, hands on her small hips, her large eyes flickering across the edifice. Let the inquisitor handle who; I would like some more information on other questions...

She peers first at the statue, trying to determine to what it is a monument.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge history (I hope this is the right one): (1d20+5)[14]

Then she turns to the blood. She sniffs at it with her petite nose, draws out a lens from her kit and inspects it closely, and tastes a pinch.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's trying to determine (a) what sort of creature's blood is this, and (b) how old is it. I'm not sure what skill to use, so here are two possibilities: knowledge (nature): (1d20+8)[19] or craft (alchemy): (1d20+11)[25]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Leviathan: The monument relates to those who lost their lives in the fire that claimed Harrowstone prison. The names of the dead are engraved at the base of the statue. The statue itself was made in the image of the prison's warden, Lyvar Hawkran.

On the matter of blood, it's clearly hours old rat blood, possibly dire rat, used before it had a chance to coagulate. So the rat in question would have had to have been killed last night

Though Augustin's words are a bit off the mark, Ulric does find some purchase with his. "Perhaps... If you and the others are volunteering to investigate..."

And it's at that moment that Morcaine bursts in with Kaythek hot on her heels. Though Mirta is clearly miffed about people just barging into her house, the news about a possible suspect, and so soon, dispels any sort of reprimand on their part.

"Show me what you've found. If you're wrong though, there's going to be hell to pay."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

Dr. Zendlebiddle's brow furrows absurdly. Professor Lorrimor's death occurred at Harrowstone. Hours later, monument to innocents of Harrowstone defaced. Connection? Possibly. Loathsome Hephenus person Morcaine's suspect. Question: what is connection between Hephenus and Harrowstone? Necromancer of Whispering Way so concerning to Professor? Professor's murderer? Wild speculation, all unlikely assuming basic rationality. Would be fool to tip his hand with petty vandalism so shortly after murder. Perplexing. Must discover this link!

Briar decides that nothing more can be gained from the monument, and trots off to find the others.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"Follow me, please."

Morcaine leads the sheriff and councilwoman down the trail she discovered, pointing out the clues that led her down it, until they arrive at Gibs' shack.

"This is where the trail ends. I would have conducted a search of the house and its surroundings, but I did not wish to anger Mr. Hephenus with an unannounced intrusion, or without permission from the officers of the law here. May we have your permission to search the premisses?"

And I wanted you here to ensure you couldn't assume I merely planted evidence to implicate Gibs because of his actions yesterday, or that Gibs could make such a claim, she thinks to herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy Check: (1d20+7)[18]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-09-04 at 01:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Following the group on the trail, Kaythek kept his thoughts to himself. Morcaine's posturing, trying to be all in the sheriff's business. Not to mentioning bargin into the councilwoman's house without knocking. Kaythek smiled as he realized something funny. Morcaine, watch yourself. Don't go doing dumb stuff. Gibs might be a pain, but he's also old and prideful. Probably been here a long time, come to think of it.

Frowning at the part about Morcaine conducting a search of Gibs' home, Kaythek held up his index finger. "I doubt that Gibs' would do something like desecrating a memorial that has probably been around as long as him. If anything, the trail could just lead to here and culprits tried to hide whatever they were using to desecrate the memorial before running off." Looking to the Sheriff and Councilwoman, Kaythek shrugged as he let the words sink in. As Morcaine shown you, though, the trail leads up to his house. While I doubt Mr. Gibs did it, that doesn't mean someone else is trying to blame him."

Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another on Morcaine's Diplomacy roll (1d20+7)[17]

This way, there shouldn't be as much of a problem. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-09-04 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Woot! Morcaine has an 20 now.

Favorite Merc Maxims

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Having had no luck finding the culprit, Tamara puts her brain to good use. Hmm, there is blood on the monument... and a 'V'... I wonder... Clearly a message... of the defacer's identity? Perhaps! A signature... that could make sense... V... Varisian? No, that would be a weird signature, they'd just use the Varisian symbol... Vrocks? Wait, do they even have hands? Hmm, even if they do, that would be weird... Vampires? Uh oh... that could be... 'V' for vampires, blood, disliking the monument - that might be a possibility...

By the time Tamara left her thought trance only Morcaine and Briar were still around. The latter looked lost in thoughts of her own, while the former was very thoroughly combing the grounds. Suddenly Briar begins to trot off. Tamara hurries to her side.

"Hey Briar! You don't think it was," she leans in to whisper, "vampires. Do you?"