New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Briar

The gnome looks from Tamara to the monument. "Interesting query... My initial thought is that this act bears a degree of pointlessness that is too high for vampires. However, possibility. Don't tell Morcaine, though; that one is a bulldog with fangs sunk into a preconceived notion of responsibility. To pursue inquiry further, ask the sheriff about incidents of disappearances recently."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara giggles merrily at Briar's evaluation of Morcaine. Thrilled to know that she's not the only one who thinks the inquisitor is wound a bit tight, Tamara replies, "yeah, I'd say she has a stick up her bum, but it seems more like the whole tree. Asking the sheriff sounds like a great idea! I'll go there now!"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

Briar frowns, her large eyes almost crossing in discomfort as she imagines Tamara's evaluation of Morcaine. "Ouch. Unpleasant. Fibrous nature of bark... nevermind." She winces. "Unpleasant," she repeats. "Let us find the sheriff and Morcaine."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking in the evidence as it’s displayed, Benjan can’t really argue any or Morcaine’s findings. Though he held some suspicions, there was no chance that the trail could have been planted by the inquisitor. Though it’s still somewhat against his better judgment, Sheriff Caeller relents and approaches the shack. Tamara and Briar reach the rest of the group just in time to see Gibs storm out of his house, brandishing a pitchfork, his face flushed a deeper shade of crimson than had been seen any time before.

“I don’t know what lies these outsiders have been feeding you, but you can’t just storm a man’s home. It ain’t right!”

“Don’t do anything stupid now Gibs,” Benjan says carefully, waving the others back to give the frantic man some room, “Something weird is going on here Gibs. I know you… You might be an ass at times, but I know that you’re better than to go around skulking in the night. But the trail ends here, there’s no place left to look for clues.”

“But I love this town…” Gibs sputtered as his grip loosened on the pitchfork, “I… I just want things to be back to normal… No more of those dreams…”

Taking care to avoid the points on the pitchfork, Benjan took the tool from Gibs’ limp grasp and carried it back to the house and closer to the others. “I’ll look after him,” he whispered, “Make it quick but thorough, no telling when he’s going to get some fight in him again.”

After wards he went back to walk with a short distance away with Gibs and wait for the results of their search.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Following the others into the cottage, Augustin once again feels of limited use, though less so in the closer confines. He whispers and touches his eyes, enhancing them to do what little he can in a search for clues. I am a priest, not an investigator. But I may be of some use yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    detect magic, keeping it up till he has scanned the whole house. Aid another perception for the search (1d20)[13]

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ulric steps right behind Augustin. Detailed searching is not his forte, but he scans everything for possible emanations of evil.

O Sarenrae, let me see what others might miss.

Spoiler
    Show
    Overall scan inside the house with detect evil. Also, aid another on Perception, just in case he gets lucky: (1d20-1)[8]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara bounds into the house and starts touching things. She has been bored for most of the day after the initial excitement wore off. This was better... ACTION! Looking about rather thoroughly, but politely returning everything to, roughly, the proper place, she investigates for anything unusual - paying special note for anything indicative that Gibs may be either a vampire or a thrall to a vampire.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[22]

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I believe you, Gibs. If there's one thing I've seen about Ravengro it's that it's a very close community, like one big family. I want things to get back to normal too, especially since from what's been revealed by Petros. You were partially right. Petros himself wasn't a necromancer. But we believe he may have been murdered by some necromancers. His trips up to Harrowstone were his attempts to stop them, and then they killed him for interfering in whatever they were doing up there."

After saying this, she begins searching the hut and its environs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine makes a Diplomacy check on Gibs, despite the fact that it likely won't help much.

(1d20+7)[21]

Next she'll make a Perception check.

(1d20+7)[23]
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kaythek looks at Tamara and Morcaine start searching Gibs' home from the inside first and shakes his head, but doesn't voice his oppinion. I doubt Gibs would just let someone putsomething in his hut without his knowledge. Turning to Augustin and Ulric, Kaythek points in along the outside. "I'll check the outside. If you two sense anything, let the Sheriff know."

Looking to Gibs, Kaythek points towards the house. "Would you be willing to help me search? That way you can say that we aren't planting anything on the premises as well as help identify anything out of the ordinary."

Regardless is Kaythek gets help or not from Gibs, he'll be checking the ouside of the hut, with in arms length of underneath the hut, and any where someone can hid a container or something. He'll also be using his nose as well to smell any blood (even though there isn't any difference in perception roll, the amount of blood that was splashed would/should give off a strong odor).

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy to see if Gibs is willing to help (1d20+7)[26]
    Perception check (1d20+6)[22] (1 for Skill Rank+3 for Class Skill+2 for Aid Another from Augustin)
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stack, Gwynfrid: Your detects turn up nothing. If there was magic or evil here, it's long since passed.

Sarone, Arch: Gibs won't budge. He stays with Benjan.

It almost escapes your notice. Another small piece of white fabric that matches the one you found earlier, trapped under part of the log pile. As you clear them away it becomes apparent that it's connected to an entire nightgown, stained with splotches of crimson. Wrapped inside of it is a gleaming war razor and a wineskin with a tiny amount of blood inside.

11. - Top - End - #221

Kaythek took one look at the rolled up gown with the blood stains on it and bolted up right. Great, now Morcaine is going to be taking this to the extreme. But it's too late now. Taking a deep breath, Kaythek bellows out a yell. "SHERIFF! MORCAINE! GUYSL, GET OVER HERE AND BRING GIBS! I FOUND SOMETHING!"

Kaythek takes a step off to the side, ready to show the Sheriff what he had found. When they get into around to him, Kaythek points at the bloody nightgown. "Found this under the logs, Sheriff. Do you recognize it? What about you, Gibs?"
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-09-09 at 04:38 PM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine blinks. If that wasn't sufficient evidence, nothing was. She doesn't say anything.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

13. - Top - End - #223

Ulric says nothing. He just watches Gibs' face intently as he is confronted with the evidence.

Why would he do such a thing ? He said he had been dreaming. Could a nightmare such as the one we've had influence a weak mind this much ?

Spoiler
    Show
    Another thing Ulric is wholly unqualified for, but anyway: Sense motive (1d20-1)[2] - Oh well... Better stick to Diplomacy I guess...
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-09-09 at 01:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine, on the other hand, is an expert at reading people, and looks to see Gibs' reaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[12]

15. - Top - End - #225

(OOC: Let's see how I do on a Sense Motive check.)

Spoiler
    Show

SENSE MOTIVE (1d20+4)[24]

Favorite Merc Maxims

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin stands back, not wanting to insult the sheriff or foul his companions attempts to unravel the mystery. Seems unlikely Gibs would be party to this, but dark dreams and darker tiding beset this town. I know not what to expect.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gibs, the disbelief clear on his face, hesitates for a time before answering, “They’re mine… They’re all mine…”

“Are you sure?” Benjan asks, reaching for a pair of manacles.

“I am,” Gibs says finally, shrinking in on himself, “Caeller, I think I’m going mad…”

With the confirmation stated, Benjan binds Gibs’ hands behind his back. There is no joy in the resolution for him though. “I don’t know Gibs, I just don’t. I need to take you in now…”

Gibs doesn’t even nod. He just allows himself to be led away. Meanwhile, there is someone who does have something to say.

“I never would have expected this,” Mirta admits, dumbfounded.

“I might have,” Kendra replies, still a little bitter over Gibs’ actions yesterday.

“I would like to personally thank all of you on behalf of the town,” Mirta says, turning to the rest of you. “I think you have proven yourselves to be quite the asset today. I’m sorry for doubting you or your intentions before. If you still wish to investigate Harrowstone, I won’t stop you. But please wait until I can bring the matter up with the council. Something strange is going on here and the council may want to make your status as investigators a little more official.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Arch, Sarone: He really is telling the truth. Those are his things, and he has no clue as to what is going on.

You’ve all earned 258 XP and gained 2 trust points.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"Thank you, Councilwoman. If it's alright, I'd like to request permission to observe Gibs tonight. I have a lingering suspicion that while his hand definitely did this, it was not his will that guided it."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin shakes his head. Strange matters. What, or who, compelled him?

"Councilwoman, we, of course, would welcome a more official status. When will your be able to meet to discuss the matter? Also, I presume you would have no objection to us speaking to the priest regarding what we have found. We think he may be able to render some assistance."

20. - Top - End - #230

As the Sheriff takes Gibs into custody, Kaythek looks back down at the blood stained items. Something is wrong. Besides the mentor passing recently and the fact he believed the Whispering Way is involved, what else has changed recently? As Kaythek looked at the items, a sudden thought occurred to him, based on what Gibs had said. As improbable as it may be, I wonder...

Looking over to Morcaine and Augustin as they talk to the Councilwoman, Kaythek goes from another side of the debate. "Morcaince, Augustin, Gibs mentioned something about wanting the dreams to stop. That might be connected." Kaythek turns to the Councilwoman, before continuing. ""With what the Mentor suspected before he died and this, there's a chance that something happened at Harrowstone, ma'am. Since Morcaine and Kendra probably mentioned our suspicions, the people responsible aren't just some brigands that aim to steal some minor treasure. Can there be a discreet meeting between the council, Father Grimburrow, and the Sheriff? We might request access to information about Harrowstone as well as some other things."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy for requesting a discreet meeting with the Council, the Sheriff, and Father Grimburrow tonight if possible (1d20+7)[23]

Favorite Merc Maxims

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"That seems for the best, Kaythek. We would handle the situation at Harrowstone on Ravengro's behalf. No sense in sending the town guard and causing a panic."

Spoiler
    Show
    Making an Aid Another check to help Kaythek: (1d20+7)[8]

22. - Top - End - #232

Ulric

"I, too, believe the dreams he mentioned may be important. We all have had very vivid dreams last night. That may explain Gibs' strange behavior. For his sake, and ours, we should talk about this in more depth."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[15]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

“That’s something you may have to ask Benjan,” Mirta answers about watching Gibs.

“As far as a discrete meeting goes, I’ll do my best. Convincing the rest of the council and Father Grimburrow to meet might not be possible before the end of the day. Also realize that this is a small town and rumor travels fast, so discretion may elude us for the time being.”

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"Very well. Thank you. May the Inheritor's grace defend this town from malign influences this night."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin nods at the blessing. "Indeed. So, friends, shall we speak to Father Grimburrow regarding the...items...the professor spoke of? I am loathe to lose any time in the matter, not in the least because of the nightmares that I fear may afflict us again. We can present any findings to the council when we meet. Time seems to be of the essence, whatever we face has had some time since the professor wrote that note."

26. - Top - End - #236

Kaythek nods as the Councilwoman mentions the amount of time that might happen between then and a meeting with the council. "It's expected. Just the same, we should try to keep the rumors as low as possible. Just the same, would you approve of us going to see Father Grimburrow about what he knows of Harrowstone and the 'brigands'?"

At Augustin's suggestion, Kaythek nodded. "It will probably be for the best. Whether or not he approves of it, we're still going there before the prison. I just like to have his blessing on the matter before instead of after."

Favorite Merc Maxims

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"As would I."

28. - Top - End - #238

Ulric nods. "I agree. But, if we need discretion, it might not be a good idea to visit Father Grimburrow as such a large group of strangers ? We should maybe send a smaller delegation ?"

29. - Top - End - #239

Kaythek considers what Ulric says and thinks about what was going to happen today from last night. "As of last night, Augustin, Morcaine, Kendra, and myself were going to go see Father Grimburrow today before this showed up. Unless I'm mistaken, that is," Kaythek says, counting off each person and looking in thier direction.

Favorite Merc Maxims

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe that was the case. I feel I should be among those who go regardless. He may be more willing to trust a coreligionist with the sanctity of the crypt, empty though we believe it."