New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Marvel Comics Presents: Blackest Night

Greetings, forumites! Here's a geeky thought experiment I conjured up during endless hours of mind-numbing service industry work:

Assume the events of Blackest Night took place in the main (616?) Marvel universe, specifically the instance in which the rings of the seven main individuals deputized seven others. Which Marvel characters would be deputized under which color?

Now I know I'm a little late here, but Blackest Night was one of the most interesting things DC has done in years. Here's my list to kickstart the discussion:

Red: The Hulk (NOT Red Hulk). This one is way too obvious, so I was going to go with Wolverine or something but...I really can't think of any other Marvel character that embodies pure anger other than the Hulk. Besides, the idea of the Hulk using an energy-based weapon would be an interesting change from "HULK SMASH."

Orange: The Kingpin. Self-explanatory, but this could be a bit too similar to Orange Lantern Luthor.

Yellow: Venom or Carnage I don't really know the difference between these two characters; I'm more of a DC fan. Honestly, I blanked out on this one, and the thought of a Sinestro Corps Venom seemed cool.

Green: Captain America (Steve Rogers). Again, self-explanatory. No fear and very strong-willed.

Blue: Professor X. I'm a behind on my knowledge regarding the current events in Marvel, but the traditional portrayal of Xavier seems an avatar of hope.

Indigo: Magneto. Now this is a little risky, but it would work well from a purely narrative standpoint. I seem to recall reading somewhere that all the Indigo Lanterns were evil individuals who seek redemption. This would also work on Magneto's compassion for oppressed mutants (unless it states elsewhere that the Indigo Lantern is run on all-encompassing compassion). This choice would also work well in playing off against Blue Lantern Xavier.

Violet: Mary Jane Watson (-Parker?). Again, my Marvel knowledge pales before my DC knowledge so there are probably many more suitable characters. However, this would be an appropriate flip-of-the-bird to One More Day.

What does the Playground think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel Comics Presents: Blackest Night

Quote Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
    Who do I speak to to commission the high-quality fanart?
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Greetings, forumites! Here's a geeky thought experiment I conjured up during endless hours of mind-numbing service industry work:

Assume the events of Blackest Night took place in the main (616?) Marvel universe, specifically the instance in which the rings of the seven main individuals deputized seven others. Which Marvel characters would be deputized under which color?

Now I know I'm a little late here, but Blackest Night was one of the most interesting things DC has done in years. Here's my list to kickstart the discussion:

Red: The Hulk (NOT Red Hulk). This one is way too obvious, so I was going to go with Wolverine or something but...I really can't think of any other Marvel character that embodies pure anger other than the Hulk. Besides, the idea of the Hulk using an energy-based weapon would be an interesting change from "HULK SMASH."

Orange: The Kingpin. Self-explanatory, but this could be a bit too similar to Orange Lantern Luthor.

Yellow: Venom or Carnage I don't really know the difference between these two characters; I'm more of a DC fan. Honestly, I blanked out on this one, and the thought of a Sinestro Corps Venom seemed cool.

Green: Captain America (Steve Rogers). Again, self-explanatory. No fear and very strong-willed.

Blue: Professor X. I'm a behind on my knowledge regarding the current events in Marvel, but the traditional portrayal of Xavier seems an avatar of hope.

Indigo: Magneto. Now this is a little risky, but it would work well from a purely narrative standpoint. I seem to recall reading somewhere that all the Indigo Lanterns were evil individuals who seek redemption. This would also work on Magneto's compassion for oppressed mutants (unless it states elsewhere that the Indigo Lantern is run on all-encompassing compassion). This choice would also work well in playing off against Blue Lantern Xavier.

Violet: Mary Jane Watson (-Parker?). Again, my Marvel knowledge pales before my DC knowledge so there are probably many more suitable characters. However, this would be an appropriate flip-of-the-bird to One More Day.

I like those choices a lot. But I have a slightly different take on who would be what in Marvel:

Green: Daredevil; he has doubts. He has major issues. He's been possessed by a demon, gotten his secret identity revealed, and a whole bunch of other bad things happen to him; his luck with girlfriends is second only to Kyle Rayner. And he's still fighting. Man Without Fear indeed.

Blue: Captain America "I'm loyal to nothing, General. Except the Dream." He's the hero that everybody in Marvel looks up to. Everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I like those choices a lot. But I have a slightly different take on who would be what in Marvel:

Green: Daredevil; he has doubts. He has major issues. He's been possessed by a demon, gotten his secret identity revealed, and a whole bunch of other bad things happen to him; his luck with girlfriends is second only to Kyle Rayner. And he's still fighting. Man Without Fear indeed.

Blue: Captain America "I'm loyal to nothing, General. Except the Dream." He's the hero that everybody in Marvel looks up to. Everybody.
    Yes, this. Cap works much better as a Blue Lantern. I can't believe I forgot about Daredevil, he's probably one of my favorite Marvel characters. He fits perfectly as a Green Lantern.

However, Matt Murdock is blind, which brings to mind another Green Lantern story idea (from Alan Moore): the F-Sharp Bell.

The F-Sharp Bell is a blind alien on some remote world that is recruited by the Green Lantern Corps. He cannot comprehend the idea of "green" or of a "lantern" at all, so he is enlisted as an "F-Sharp Bell" in lieu of a "Green Lantern." The ring's powers are made manifest through sound instead of light. I imagine this concept would apply to Daredevil in some way, making for an interesting story twist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Who do I speak to to commission the high-quality fanart?
    If I had any more free time, more drawing talent, and a scanner, I'd attempt it myself. But I would like to see someone else give it a shot.

Also, industrious, your avatar is great.
    Last edited by Horrorshow; 2011-08-06 at 01:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Not going to work. The meaning of "compassion" that the Indigo Tribe embodies is the ability to understand and sympathize with others. Magneto may be capable of understanding and sympathy towards oppressed mutants, but he's not much for it when it comes to anyone else, including mutants that disagree with him (see: Xavier).

Anyway, trying to come up with some ideas myself, but my familiarity with Marvel is limited mainly to the X-Men cartoons and a few movies, and I'm having a hard time coming up with X-Men ideas.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know much about the various Lantern Corps, but what about Rogue for the Indigo? Dark side, seeking redemption, and her power translates rather neatly to the empathy aspect.

Also agreed on MJ for the Violet Ring, if only because of One More Day.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2011-08-06 at 01:22 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally I think:

Yellow: Doctor Doom. He'd either be here or under the Green Lantern category, considering his willpower. I think at one point he frightened a kraken and got said creature to join him with a simple death stare, and he already scares quite a few people, obviously. Venom might also work, but I don't keep up with marvel as of late.

Green: Daredevil. "Man without fear" indeed.

Blue: Captain America

Indigo: Red Skull. Definitely needs some compassion, considering the indigo tribe is made up of former sociopaths. If Carnage is still alive he'd probably fit here too.

Black: Thanos. He'd have a field day with this.

I also found this on TV Tropes, if you're interersted (and you're able to go to a TV Tropes link without opening too many tabs). Second one down, it's a troper describing what could happen if the black rings crossed into the Marvel U, thought it was cool (of course, it's a little outdated so some of the deceased characters are alive again.)
    Last edited by Elrik; 2011-08-06 at 02:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Green: Deadpool. Just because they share an actor.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

If I had any more free time, more drawing talent, and a scanner, I'd attempt it myself. But I would like to see someone else give it a shot.

Also, industrious, your avatar is great.
    Thanks. It's from the game I'm running, where Bruce Wayne just went crazy instead of becoming Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Indigo = Ghost Rider. Compassion... check. Reformed sociopath... check. Trying to do good, despite a crapsack start... check.

I may not like the character much, but it's pretty much iconic.

And yea... Cap is definately Blue.

Yellow... neither Venom nor Carnage really fit this. Carnage might work for Red, if Hulk is unavailable, but not here.

For the Yellow Ring, either Red Skull or Dr. Doom.

Violet would be a difficult one... but I'd actually have to go for Rogue. Never being allowed to physically touch anyone... hell, her power manifested the first time while she was making out with her boyfriend. Yea, she'd definitely go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Red: Wolverine
    Yellow: Mysterio, Psycho-Man
    Green: The Thing
    Blue: Silver Surfer
    Indigo: Anti-Venom
    Violet: Purple Man
    Black: Jean Grey, Ben Reilly
    White: Anti-Venom, Captain Universe
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-08-11 at 11:40 AM.