New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    it totally undermines their credibility as villains.
    Bit late to worry about that.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    The plan is really stupid. It could only work if everyone in the audience was a gullible moron willing to believe the worst of their leaders.
    Like I said, it's the best plan Celesto could have come up with.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bit late I know, but I just read the strip now....

If this was Celesto's plan all along, then it actually relied on Dominic being there and performing his "SEE THE TRUTH" malarky to function. Without Dominic (apparently) sucking everyone into the Psychoplane, only Chance would be seeing this.

So, was this Celesto's plan all along, and will he appear gloating at Dominic in a few strips, explaining how the puppetmaster was the puppet this time?

I hope so, even if Celesto's plan is stupid, because it will be the first time Dominic has lost since WoH.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

ok, I think I understand more now.

Celesto wants to frame the king.....for something he is already doing....but he is going to make it worse.....by showing the the monster killing a young rich boy.....who is a jerk who never gotten over being bullied for being a rich boy........who according to future vision stuff, will grow up to be even worse than he is now......

but people don't like the Masters family anyways, they'd think it good riddance....Celesto is in fact, probably going to make the King look better...

....unless of course he is relying on the fact that not everyone is a seer and are all idiots who think Chance is an innocent boy.....

....but said boy has been seen acting out and stabbing at people....and people now probably see him as dangerous, and some have outright said he needs to be contained, and the DD's allies are the ones speaking out against the logical course of action....

and now suddenly the squid thing and the king appear in the sky, and will try to kill the dangerous stabby boy, while DD and Co try to protect stabby out of control boy. which will not go over well with the crowd....

....I can't possibly see any of this ending well. this has got to be the weirdest most screwed up plan ever......and either Chance will die and the monster will be cheered for putting a dangerous young swordsman down, or DD and co will be seen as idiots that protected said out of control boy and will be thrown in jail........

my head hurts.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Bit late I know, but I just read the strip now....

If this was Celesto's plan all along, then it actually relied on Dominic being there and performing his "SEE THE TRUTH" malarky to function. Without Dominic (apparently) sucking everyone into the Psychoplane, only Chance would be seeing this.

So, was this Celesto's plan all along, and will he appear gloating at Dominic in a few strips, explaining how the puppetmaster was the puppet this time?

I hope so, even if Celesto's plan is stupid, because it will be the first time Dominic has lost since WoH.
    If that was the plan, it's even worse.

Same plan could be easily done in the physical world (exploding boy + message, how hard can it be?)
    Adding Dominic only inserts more variables to the plan. He has magic, he can predict Celesto's plan, he can be blamed instead of the king or can admit the truth and blame Celesto.
    And it's not like adding him brings any advantage to the plan since Dominic has no credibility in that city.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    If that was the plan, it's even worse.

Same plan could be easily done in the physical world (exploding boy + message, how hard can it be?)
    Adding Dominic only inserts more variables to the plan. He has magic, he can predict Celesto's plan, he can be blamed instead of the king or can admit the truth and blame Celesto.
    And it's not like adding him brings any advantage to the plan since Dominic has no credibility in that city.
    Does Dominic have credibility with anyone who's not Second Caste or above?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Wait I just read Tuesday's comic... WTF just happened? I may be tired but seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

8. - Top - End - #458

Ah, so that was Dominic's plan, to make Celesto's plan all that much easier! Genius! One gold star for you.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

This is madness! (no, seriously)

In Mookie's defense he's just attended a "Domestication party". Maybe it screwed with his head making today's comic even more lame and bizarre.

So... is Dom trying to frame another mustached warrior?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that's what Scarlatti reminds me of in panel 2! Anyone have Complete Arcane? Check out Morthos's goofy pose on page 72. Here's a tiny version (there might be a better version out there if you search for it):

Spoiler
    Show

What's that line near the top of panel 8? Are they standing in front of a really close Inappropriate Wall?

Anyway, no, in case you were wondering, this doesn't make any goddamn sense. Just, you know, in case anyone wasn't totally clear on that and needed me to confirm it. That's what I'm here for. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-08-23 at 02:19 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #461
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dominic's posing is so cheesy it made the mini-snugglies explode?
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

12. - Top - End - #462

Wow, way to make people think that someone other than Dominic was gonna help deal with the situation, because why the **** did you make a big scene about Scarlatti grabbing the sword only to have Dom just teleport in and deal with the Snugglies all by himself?

Seriously, Dominic seems to be some sort black hole that sucks the competence out of everyone around him that they become totally useless in any given situation.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm not sure what this is meant to show. It looks like the sword turned into Dominic with the sword (?), which exploded into beam spam which then exploded the snuglets which then exploded the mindscape (???). But that's just... stupid.

14. - Top - End - #464

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm not sure what this is meant to show. It looks like the sword turned into Dominic with the sword (?), which exploded into beam spam which then exploded the snuglets which then exploded the mindscape (???). But that's just... stupid.
    I think that's actually what happened, but looking at the comic is making my eyes bleed so I'm not sure.

15. - Top - End - #465

Daemon

So.. if Scarletti was holding a sword that tured into Domonic where do you think his left hand is in panel 1?

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like the script for this strip was written by five different people.

We will probably get an explanation in a strip or two about what just happened, but I won't aim my hopes for an explanation that will make sense.

17. - Top - End - #467

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the last panel. Those three are clearly embarassed to be caught up in this mess.

Maybe Mookie should seriously consider a hiatus until his wedding is sorted out. There's no shame in admitting you need a break because you're too distracted by everything else.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    So.. if Scarletti was holding a sword that tured into Domonic where do you think his left hand is in panel 1?
    I was hoping for something like in One Piece, when Zoro used Usopp as his sword...

19. - Top - End - #469

A goon-made strip slay from the SA thread. It's too great not to share.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Gez; 2011-08-23 at 05:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #470

So, in order to charge up his slay-everything attack, Dominic disguised himself as a sword, so he could work uninterrupted. To prevent further interruption, he brought an entire stadium full of people into the murder plane, to be meat shields if push came to shove.
    Then, at the time when the cunning plan of the false Snugglies was to fall on Chance like a fishing net, Dominic discharges the spell, saves the day, and everyone goes back off-murder-plane, so they can stand about a foot apart and stare at a wall two feet away.

Szark I take back the things I said, it is very difficult to explain this without sounding crazy.

BONUS QUESTION: Since Dominic is/was the Champion of Balance, is he required at times to perform evil, in service of the balance between evil and good? Do jocks continue to thrive on Dominion because it is cosmically demanded, and enforced by Dominic, that evil and mischance must exist?
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2011-08-23 at 05:59 AM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    BONUS QUESTION: Since Dominic is/was the Champion of Balance, is he required at times to perform evil, in service of the balance between evil and good? Do jocks continue to thrive on Dominion because it is cosmically demanded, and enforced by Dominic, that evil and mischance must exist?
    Off course not, what sort of champion of balance would dominic be if he didnt solely do acts of good and tried to rid the world of evil....

In all seriousness though, wasnt there something about both absolute law and absolute chaos being evil and dominic had to bring it back into balance or some crap.
    Last edited by Thark; 2011-08-23 at 06:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472

The way I always played it in D&D was that balance was only between Law and Chaos. Good is balanced. Evil is imbalanced. There can't be a "balance between Good and Evil" because it'd make about as much sense as talking about a "balance between balance and imbalance". And if you found that, then you could as well go on to find a balance between the balance between balance and imbalance and the imbalance between balance and imbalance" and so on recursively until your brain explodes.

That's why the LG, NG and CG exemplars work together in harmony (they're Good and therefore further balance) whereas the LE, NE and CE exemplars are always infighting (they're evil and therefore seek to upset balance).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil can cooperate, and good can have very big arguments about the path to take, so it's not always so clear that evil cannot be balanced or the other way around.
    In D&D I usually completely ignored alignment, or matched the appropriate alignment only after the character's behavior and motives were well established.

Back to the subject, Dominic was indeed the champion of balance between chaos and law, so there isn't any problem with him trying to do good.

The thing is that until now, as the champion of balance he only fought against the side of chaos.
    It's very easy to see how excessive chaos can cause harm, but the challenge in such stories is when balance needs to fight against law. Not many authors can do this in a good way, so I prefer DD will never even try to head to that direction...

24. - Top - End - #474

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It's very easy to see how excessive chaos can cause harm, but the challenge in such stories is when balance needs to fight against law. Not many authors can do this in a good way, so I prefer DD will never even try to head to that direction...
    I've seen law turned up to oppressive levels in stories fairly frequently and it doesn't seem that hard to do decently the way they do it. The usual way I've seen it done is by having the law group imposing rules to oppress individuality, moulding society into a collection of similar drones. Then turning everyone into robots/golems/dolls/etc. if they want to go that extra mile. I think chaos is harder to do right, because there's a temptation to make it either "purple monkey dishwasher" nonsense or just plain kill-crazy.

In DD, I think all we've got is Uber-law is basic tyranny and Uber-chaos is exploding stuff.

However this argument doesn't matter, as Dominic gave up all his Champion of Balance powers because he's good and righeous and doesn't hoard all his power like evil goateed seers and that's why he can transform into a sword and beam laser everything.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-08-23 at 08:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh. Oh god. OH GOD NO!!!!!! I just had the most terrible thought in the history of ever! Masters family and the rest of the town will blame Dom, (thats not the bad part) Scarletti will stand up for him and back him up, (as a character witness probably, since I doubt he is aware of whats going on) He will get chased out of town as well, and scarletti will end up being forced to join up with dom and szark, forming a really awkward Odd Couple with plenty of snark and talk free panels full of scowls. And then, because I doubt mook will allow any main cast member like szark to end the story unhappy. He and scarletti will fall in love. /urk.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    (1) He's the Champion of Balance between Law & Chaos, not Good & Evil.

(2) The Champion of Balance apparently shows up whenever there is a Champion of either Law or Chaos. Since there are apparently never more than two Champions at a time, this means that Law & Chaos never actually duke it out in Dominion -- that party is always killed by Balance before it gets good.

Re: Comic
    I honestly can't comment on anything that has been going on in-comic this Arc. It is too mind-numbingly stupid. This is poorly-executed Axe Cop crap and I'll have no part in it
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #477
    Colossus in the Playground

I've seen law turned up to oppressive levels in stories fairly frequently and it doesn't seem that hard to do decently the way they do it. The usual way I've seen it done is by having the law group imposing rules to oppress individuality, moulding society into a collection of similar drones. Then turning everyone into robots/golems/dolls/etc. if they want to go that extra mile. I think chaos is harder to do right, because there's a temptation to make it either "purple monkey dishwasher" nonsense or just plain kill-crazy.

In DD, I think all we've got is Uber-law is basic tyranny and Uber-chaos is exploding stuff.

However this argument doesn't matter, as Dominic gave up all his Champion of Balance powers because he's good and righeous and doesn't hoard all his power like evil goateed seers and that's why he can transform into a sword and beam laser everything.
    V for Vendetta. Using chaos to overthrow oppressive law. Balance is restored.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Excessive social laws as an ideology, yes, it is very common. But Law as a force of nature or group of gods is more rare,
    This type of conflict is rarely done in a good way when the hero is supposed to side with chaos.

29. - Top - End - #479

Today's comic is the first one in DD's history where I read it and literally couldn't follow what Mookie was trying to make happen.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #480

... This is just so ridiculous.

I actually have no clue waht's happening.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.