New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

So... is it now official that the King of Callan is the strongest magic user in the country?
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

I thought that was assumed, except for whatever's going on with Miranda. He is a former archmage, who stepped down to stroke his beard evilly rule Callan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So... are we assuming that this plan actually worked? That all the seers needed to do was attack someone with mindscape illusions and show a big picture of the king and everyone would be grabbing the nearest pitchfork and storming the castle?

Or is what Dominic saying that instead of tricking Callanians with illusions, Celesto should have directly brainwashed them with the "See the Truth" spell like a proper seer?

I'm so confused.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

So, to sum up:

Final exam: What was Dominic's objective at the start of this arc?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-08-25 at 10:47 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #605

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

I... don't know, something about cats? It's fine talking about cats inbetween updates?

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIX: A cat is fine too

6. - Top - End - #606

GnomeWizardGuy

Also: I don't know why this bugs me so much, but where the heck is Prontus in the background of these strips? Apparently the main tournament hall is in a field in the middle of nowhere.

Posting this again, because every single outside urban environment looks like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #607
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh hey guys, what have I missed?

King still evil, no meaningful progress made towards defeating him of any kind, Celestio still misguided, no character growth whatsoever.

See you in six months.

8. - Top - End - #608

GreataxeFighterGuy

6 months is a bit...optimistic, Thanqol.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh hey guys, what have I missed?

King still evil, no meaningful progress made towards defeating him of any kind, Celestio still misguided, no character growth whatsoever.

See you in six months.
    The only character growth seen in this arc was Chance's, and we'll probably never see him again after this arc.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

to find Celesto Morgan to so he could help get past the super-duper magical Wards around the King Callan's Castle.

He found Celesto Morgan.....but didn't get his help. also he technically already got past said wards...to search for Celesto Morgan.....I think....maybe....

but then again I don't think thats Callan's castle.....

errrgh.....even with the summary its confusing.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #611

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeah, dogs are better. They are very loyal and will protect your family, which they see as their pack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm, uh, a little ashamed of how long I spent watching that and laughing hysterically.

One of my cats used to be a great mouser. We found mice all over the house. But then last month when a family of mice decided to move into my bedroom, I brought her in. She sniffed the corner for a minute, then curled up on my bed and went to sleep. I got a live-catch mousetrap instead.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Fifteen minutes of sneak. (Future.)

I really hope this doesn't mean what I think it does.

However, if you read this in Tommy Wiseau's voice (especially the "I did NOT" bit), it's a million times better. Even the nonsensical bolding makes sense, or at least fits.

I would watch a Dominic Deegan movie if Tommy Wiseau were involved. Oh hi, Szark!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-08-26 at 01:53 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

Well, whaddaya know, looks like Dominic was right.

14. - Top - End - #614

GnomeWizardGuy

Dominic: Oh well, looks like Celesto is going to mindbreak after I left him battling extra-planar horrors for months while I holidayed in Maltak, potentially threatening the very fabric of our universe. I'm a little sorry for him. Back to more important things, like choosing the catering for our wedding.

I also like the implication that the only flaw in the plan was Celesto's desire to murder someone, and that this new plan will work brilliantly.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

'It all worked out in the end'

...no it didnt you idiot. Dominic stopped you from killing the only witness who knew of YOUR connection with the beast. But hey i'm sure he wont mention it to his parents. And even if he did they wont believe him when he says that the same guy who conned them out of money before was now trying to kill him and frame it on the king. Right, right?

16. - Top - End - #616

GnomeWizardGuy

Celesto has the excuse that he's meant to be insane. I don't know what everyone else's excuse is.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

So, I just deleted everything else I had here because Celesto Morgan, sitting naked in a room, is having a crisis of self.

And that actually comes across as a well-thought out, pre-planned and built-towards over a span of time.

I am impressed by this. I think Thanqol's dismissal mAy be slightly, slightly off-base. Even if only a little bit.

18. - Top - End - #618

Gee, Dominic, you were right. There was absolutely no need to kill anyone, or really make any convoluted plots, when you can just run around talking about how the absolute political power in the country is aligned with some kind of goofball monster.
    That must be why you're running around the country spreading the word, huh.

Huh.

Bonus question: the little pseudo-critters that Celesto made - what did they see when everyone in the house got hit with the TRUTH? Did they see that the only way that they were getting out of this was by being killed? When they fell upon Chance, was it just in a desperate struggle to do something, anything, before they were casually murdered to the man? Weren't there civilian contractors on the Death Star?
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

19. - Top - End - #619

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Bonus question: the little pseudo-critters that Celesto made - what did they see when everyone in the house got hit with the TRUTH? Did they see that the only way that they were getting out of this was by being killed?
    They saw everything.

I've got twenty on Dominic or Chance ruining Dominic's entire plan and then leaving the earth forever for no raison.
    Last edited by Palmer; 2011-08-26 at 06:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #620

AssassinGuy

If yesterday's strip was the cherry on the sundae of stupidity, today's strip was the decadent butterscotch syrup. I hate butterscotch.

21. - Top - End - #621

Because we cant have celestro actually choose to be evil, he has to be a good guy working under the influence of chaos or whatever. Can you be just a LITTLE more ham fisted with the redemption foreshadowing mookie? I think the blind deaf and dumb kitten in siberia hasnt caught on yet. We dont want him to miss it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #622

NecromancerGuy

I dunno, maybe he's going to finally kill Celesto off with the whole coughing up blood thing.

Well, one can hope.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-08-26 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #623

I would watch a Dominic Deegan movie if Tommy Wiseau were involved. Oh hi, Szark!
    I would watch a Dominic Deegan movie, period. It would be hilarious.

"Dominic Deegan... IN 3-D!"
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2011-08-26 at 09:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #624

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I would watch a Dominic Deegan movie, period. It would be hilarious.

"Dominic Deegan... IN 3-D!"

It'll be in 3-D, but the movie won't utilize the new equipment at all. We'll only see everything from 3/4th view. Directer Terracino will justify it by explaining how 3-D just didn't feel like Dominic Deegan.

25. - Top - End - #625

Spoiler
    Show

VICTORY IS AT HAND. CELESTO MORGAN WALKS THE EIGHTFOLD PATH!

Sorry, I had to.
    Last edited by BlackDragonKing; 2011-08-26 at 10:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #626

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Because we cant have celestro actually choose to be evil, he has to be a good guy working under the influence of chaos or whatever. Can you be just a LITTLE more ham fisted with the redemption foreshadowing mookie? I think the blind deaf and dumb kitten in siberia hasnt caught on yet. We dont want him to miss it.
    Celesto
    a) hung around a deranged enchantress who he was also in love with.
    b) joined a world-devouring cult who drew their strength from literal nonsense.
    c) just bopped around off-dimension with an off-dimensional world-eating (??? maybe???) goofball.

You [Mookie] could probably make the argument that we've never actually seen the man Celesto - every time he shows up, he's the cat's paw of a lunatic. The real Celesto is probably actually a decent chappie, or he was before he lost control of his body, his magic, his very fate. The guy we're seeing right now isn't that Celesto, although this preoccupation with remembering who he is is very Celesto-like.

At some point in the future, Dominic might have to choose - he could make Celesto SEE THE TRUTH, but that would annihilate Celesto, as we know him, and just leave the gibbering wreck of a human that Celesto, the man, has been reduced to, a guy shot through with paranoia, anarchic hands, Stockholm syndrome, and a deep and abiding mistrust of all that flies in the air, creeps upon the earth, or swims in the seas.
    Who is the real Celesto now, this cat's-paw whose exploits we've thrilled to, or the man who one day decided to look too deep in a scrying pool?

/fanfiction
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

He did used to scam people.

28. - Top - End - #628

GnomeWizardGuy

My problem with this development is that Celesto is the closest we'll get to Mookie showing the warping affects that being able to see the future would do to someone. It's completely believable a seer would be obsessed with fate and start judging people on their future actions. But now, it's suggested that it's all because Celesto has been selfishly hoarding the power of chaos (???) unlike that paragon Dominic (despite Dominic always trouncing Celesto every time they meet), with this chaos power being the reason Celesto is nuts rather than the itty bitty fact that he can see the future.

It's one of the prime reasons I wish I could punch a webcomic that it takes something as interesting as seers that should lead to interesting stories about what they would do to a mortal psyche, and doesn't use them for anything more than a cheap method to learn what to do next like a quest pop-up in a video game. Heck, I'm going to print out the latest comic and punch it right now.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    My problem with this development is that Celesto is the closest we'll get to Mookie showing the warping affects that being able to see the future would do to someone. It's completely believable a seer would be obsessed with fate and start judging people on their future actions. But now, it's suggested that it's all because Celesto has been selfishly hoarding the power of chaos (???) unlike that paragon Dominic (despite Dominic always trouncing Celesto every time they meet), with this chaos power being the reason Celesto is nuts rather than the itty bitty fact that he can see the future.

It's one of the prime reasons I wish I could punch a webcomic that it takes something as interesting as seers that should lead to interesting stories about what they would do to a mortal psyche, and doesn't use them for anything more than a cheap method to learn what to do next like a quest pop-up in a video game. Heck, I'm going to print out the latest comic and punch it right now.
    take a photo of this event.

for SCIENCE!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

30. - Top - End - #630

However, if you read this in Tommy Wiseau's voice (especially the "I did NOT" bit), it's a million times better. Even the nonsensical bolding makes sense, or at least fits.
    I can see it. DD does usually (and I stress usually) has the same "so bad it's good" quality as The Room.
    LGBTitP