New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] Hunters of Hexensnacht IC

Kurt

Kurt looks around. "I think I'll be following you local folks. I don't fancy being the food for these scum."

With that he retrieves his arrow and then starts pacing nervously waiting for the horn to sound.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Magnus Holt

Magnus nods, weighing the woodsman's words. "If it seems too dangerous to cross, we can always follow it into the mountains or split off into the trees." He pauses for a moment, then adds, "And if we're all heading north, one of us might be able to slip south along the Owl instead. He won't be worth bothering over, with so many of us headed the other way, as long as he keeps clear of Eulesfurt."
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's true enough, but does anyone partic'larly want to strike off alone?" said Bernhard with a wry smile. "I mean, the Moot's southwest of here, but I'm perfectly happy to head north with you lot. Strength in numbers, I figure." And some of you are slower than me, when it comes down to it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Dimzad - *lets out a laugh* let's be off then, no sense sticking around this god forsaken place any longer then we have to...
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

Magnus Holt

Magnus inclines his head towards the castle walls, where there are still archers clearly visible through the crenelations. "We should stay put until they blow the horn. If killing the...if what we just did hasn't changed the rules of the game, we should wait for the signal. Otherwise, there's nothing to stop the Von Carsteins from riding out after us immediately." Abruptly aware that the scent of blood is probably still clinging to his sword, he removes it from its scabbard and wipes it across the snow a few more times before sheathing it again.

"We're not all going to be moving at the same pace when this begins. The fastest of us should scout ahead. If there's a place to make a safe crossing, or a deadfall, or an abandoned boat, we'll leave a sign to mark it."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Bernhard nodded. "Guess I'll be your scout then. Any of you longlegs that can keep up can come with me."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

From one of the castle's towers, a horn blared.

Albrecht's face turned deadly pale; the young woodsman now looked little more than a boy. Even Klaus the Mute, the fierce-looking man with a rope scar around his neck, gritted his teeth and made the sign of Sigmar.

"I... I guess it starts now," stammered Albrecht.

Bernhard scouting ahead, they began the long march up the North Owl. The woods grew thick around them, as if the trees were fighting for a spot by the river; there was not even some sort of beach or rocky shore they could walk on. The snow impeded their progress, but on the upside, it would also slow down their pursuers. The wind that blew in the trees was somewhat unnerving even for Magnus, Kurt and Bernhard, who were used to the outdoors. It sounded like... the wailing of a child, a dying man's whisper, the groan of the rusty cell door when Hans came for them. And the wolves kept howling, somewhere in the forest, though it was hard to guess which way they were.

They walked as fast as they possibly could, but could not seem to get warm. The cold seemed to seep right through their clothes no matter how many layers they had. Even Bernhard's furry, leathery feet could no longer stand the snow; the halfling had to go back to the rest of the group and borrow the old shoes Dimzad had put aside after taking the dead bailiff's boots. And a hungry halfling who had to wear shoes was one very unhappy halfling.

They were still in sight of Sir Friedrich's castle when the trees were replaced by very dense thornbushes. Their twisted stems and branches were black as sin, but their two-inch-long barbed thorns were blood-red. To add to the bushes' sinister appearance, many of the thorns bore the impaled, half-eaten bodies of small birds and rodents; the work of shrikes, Magnus knew.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    First random event: thornbushes! Scary, eh?

You have a choice: either advance cautiously (halve your Movement characteristic for the first turn of the pursuit), or walk quickly through the bushes with no regard for injury (lose d5 wounds, reduced by armor but not TB). You can also go around the thornbushes, but like the first option, it'll result in halving your Movement for the round.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

"Dimzad" - Gazing around at their options, he suggests going around the giant nasty thorn bushes.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Magnus Holt

Magnus stops, picking the frozen carcass of a field mouse out from the barbs. He rolls it between his fingers before dropping it in the snow. "We'll be easy to track through this. Bits of caught clothing, blood, skin. We need to go around." He waves a hand towards the deeper woods, where the congestion of briars continues on, seemingly endless.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 5, halved, to circumnavigate the patch without taking damage. Moving ahead of the group.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Kurt

Kurt curses at the mass of thorns. I ain't going in there. Not even if Verna herself offered me suck of her teats.. He starts to followthe others around the thorns.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

Gord grumbles, "Stupid brush, just what we needed. Let's go around" he nods towards Magnus, "You're right about being easily tracked." He follows closely behind the others.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

The route they took to circumvent the thornbushes took them into dark, twisting woods that did not leave them any clear view of the sky. It was only by keeping the thornbushes to their right that they avoided getting lost.

Bernhard, still walking ahead, let out a started yelp when something seized his left foot, under the snow. Cursing, the halfling shook it off, whatever it was, and drew back several steps. Slowly, almost theatrically, a frozen corpse rose up from the snow cover. It had only one milky-white eye in the middle of its face, like a cyclops, and its nails were long, black and claw-like.

Other corpses emerged from the snow, all of them misshapen in some way: one had scaly skin like a lizard (though some of it had sloughed off its rotten flesh), one had hooves, one had tusks... Mutants, probably servants of the Beastmen who dwelled further west. They were all dead and rotting, but the dark winds of Hexensnacht had blown a semblance of life back into them.

There were eight of them in all, spread in a half circle around the seven unfortunate mortals.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Fear, please. Even if you fail the test, you can draw your weapon, take a Defensive Stance or move away from the zombies, but you must pass it in order to charge, shoot or otherwise attack.

You can draw your weapon and charge at the same time.

You automatically win Initiative.

Albrecht's fear test: (d100)[5]
    Klaus' fear test: (d100)[60]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Dimzad - "Gazing upon the foul beasts, Dimzad clutches his hammer and...

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[49]
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Kurt

Kurt stumbles back in shock then falls back even further stumbling and trying to notch an arrow to the bow held tight in his fist. The walking dead! Truly they were bereft of Morr's favour.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Willpower (1d100)[65] VS 31
    Regardless of the result move behind the rest of the party members notching an arrow to my bow.

15. - Top - End - #75

"Run! We don't have time to waste!", frantically yelled Gord. The sight of the mutants sent a chill down his spine, nowhere near as bad as the vampires however. Gord took a quick look around to see whether everyone else had heard him or were in a slight state of panic and didn't hear. He managed to raise his axe and prepare for combat, but he was shaken up by the surprise and hesitated.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[76] (41 for success on Fear)
    I assume we can also just run away? I'd imagine we could outrun zombie mutants :)

Gord looks around quickly and runs towards the riverbank, following it north in the direction they had originally intended on. He keeps a careful watch on the snow ahead of him and avoids any potential hazards, he wouldn't want to fall down or sprain his ankle. When Gord finally feels he has gained enough ground on the mutants he begins to slow down into a jog, he looks back at anybody who's following him and says, "Keep an eye out for any good river crossings."
    Last edited by Blaze; 2011-08-18 at 08:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Dimzad Looking around frantically, he follow Gord in fleeing from the undead beasts screaming "Run! they're just corpses they can't be to fast!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Magnus Holt

And on the darkest of nights, unpent from their prison, the dead shall walk...

A convulsive shiver courses through Magnus as his mind begins to process the unreality of what he sees before him. Beside him, Gord is shouting something about running. It sounds like a very good idea.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fear roll: (1d100)[99]

Breaking off with Gord and bolting away, then circling past the mutants.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Bernhard stifled several more screams as the full terror of the situation became apparent. For a moment, the exact circumstances became hazy -- the vampires and his fellow prey forgotten, simply the filthy dead things in front of him. His hand went to his sling. If this was to be the end, so be it ...

... but then he realised that others were shouting, fleeing, making back for the river and his senses return. He'll be damned if he'll die for this lot, and so he spun on his heels and made to follow the rapidly departing humans.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear test vs 35 anyway: (1d100)[3]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the sake of simplicity, I assume the group will try to stick together and circle the zombie mutants. If you wish to run in a different direction, please tell me as soon as possible.

The seven mortals stumbled through the deep snow, trying to circle the zombies and run back to the river. But the undead creatures moved surprisingly fast, their skeletal legs almost unhindered by the snow, and swung their crude weapons at the unfortunate adventurers.

Spoiler
    Show
    WS 25 vs Gord: (d100)[18]
    Damage: (d10+3)[4] - 1 damage to the right leg

WS 25 vs Kurt: (d100)[43]
    Parry 44: (d100)[96]
    Damage: (d10+3)[12]

WS 25 vs Dimzad: (d100)[22]
    Damage: (d10+3)[4] - 1 damage to the right arm

WS 25 vs Magnus: (d100)[86]
    Damage: (d10+3)[12]

WS 25 vs Bernhard: (d100)[32]
    Damage: (d10+3)[4]

WS 25 vs Albrecht: (d100)[43]
    Damage: (d10+3)[6]

WS 25 vs Klaus the Mute: (d100)[53]
    Dodge 36: (d100)[45]
    Damage: (d10+3)[8]

Zombies really suck at fighting.

But they were clumsy, and the mortals outran them easily enough: the zombies only stumbled into one another as they tried to turn and pursue. Gord and Dimzad suffered small bruises, but barely noticed them in their haste to get away from their attackers. Soon the lord's prey slowed their pace, as dying of exhaustion would not get them out of this cursed land.

Gord was at the head of the group when they finally reached the black stream of the North Owl. Pausing to get his breath back, the woodsman squinted at the river ahead and saw something sitting in the middle of it. When a cloud obscuring Morrslieb slid aside, the thing became clearer: it was, unmistakeably, a small barge. A rope ran across the river some ten feet above the water, and the barge was tied to it. There was a small pier at each end of the rope.

In the boat sat a lone shape clad in a grey cloak and cowl. The shape was eerily still, as if carved from stone. The woodsman frowned... He had never, ever heard of a ferry this high up the river.

Some distance south, the horn blared again...

The hunters were coming.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-08-25 at 02:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Kurt

Kurt coughed up a thick gobbet of phlegm and hawked it into the river. "Whate be that? Is this one of your river folk?" he barks at the others. Rattled by the events with the zombies. He glances back the way they've come at the ragged and easy to read trails. "Methinks the vampire's will be catching us soon. THey won't get Kurt... no they won't."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

"A trap is what that is," muttered Bernhard sourly, glaring back in the rough direction that the horn blast had come from. "We can avoid it an press on -- or," he continued softly, twirling his sling in a tight arc and slapping it against his palm, "we can do something about it."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Dimzad - We got no time to be trifling with traps.... we'd be keep moving I think that was the other horn that just blew.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    "A trap is what that is," muttered Bernhard sourly, glaring back in the rough direction that the horn blast had come from.
    "Dunno... What would be the fun in a trap?" Albrecht pointed out, though he did not seem too sure of himself. "Sir Friedrich wants a good hunt, right?" The young woodsman squinted at the lone figure in the barge and swallowed hard. "But on th' other hand, what's that barge doing here, in the middle of nowhere? Last time there was a road 'round here was when my grandpa was my age, before they closed the copper mine."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to wait for the group to either reach a consensus or split up.

Gord only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I said, Gord only.

Spoiler
    Show
    The copper mine Albrecht talks about was on the other side of the river, in the foothills of the World's Edge Mountains. It was closed some fifty years ago when the miners accidentally found the lair of a hungry troll while excavating. Four miners were killed and eaten on the spot and no one has entered the mine since.

Presumably, the barge's purpose was to carry the miners to the mine, since no bridge crosses the North Owl.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #84

Magnus Holt

Magnus studies the figure intensely in the dark. His heart is still racing, and his blood pounding in his ears, but the sense is beginning to seep back into his scattered thoughts. "Trap or not, it's a way across the river. We'll never outrun the Von Carsteins on foot, and the barge looks serviceable. If the rest of you still have your doubts, then I'll go."

He begins making his way down the bank, wading through prickly scrub bushes to where the figure waits.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Watching the figure as I approach. Do I see his breath misting in the air? If not, he's either illusory or cold and dead.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Kurt

Kurt watches Magnus splashing and getting closer to the weird fear inspiring figure. Carefully he eases an arrow from his quiver, just in case....

Oh, Magnus, he calls, Ask him how many he can fit in the boat? I don't fancy being stranded this side of the river.

26. - Top - End - #86

"I think it will be okay to use that boat, as long as it's in working order. Let's go take a look, but be careful it's possible there might be trolls in this area." Gord follows behind Magnus and keeps an eye out on the shore.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[58] (Perception 30, Listen +20)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

As the travelers approached the small barge, Magnus grew tense: he did not see any sign of life coming from the lone figure. Bernhard's chubby hand tightened around his sling, his instincts screaming at him that this thing did not belong to the world of the living.

From up close, it became immediately obvious that the boat was much too small to carry them all in one go. The barge was in the middle of the river, out of reach; it was standard practice for ferrymen who worked in the wilderness, where bands of outlaws commonly tried to steal boats.

The six men and the halfling paused at the shore, waiting for one of them to make their presence known to the mysterious individual. None of them seemed too eager to do it, but thankfully the grey-clad ferryman took notice of them after about a minute. Slowly, the figure rose... and walked over to them as if the water was solid ground.

"Gods be merciful," gasped Albrecht, notching an arrow to his bow.

The ferryman reached the shore and threw back his hood, revealing an old, weather-worn face with a short beard and haunted-looking eyes. His shape seemed to shimmer in and out of sight. With a yelp, Albrecht loosed his arrow... only for the arrow to pass straight through the ferryman's face and disappear in the darkness beyond the river.

The ghost ferryman seemingly took no notice of the arrow. "It's been a while since I last saw travelers," he said in a dull voice, his tone neither pleased nor displeased. "Do you wish to cross the river?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since this is the first time any of you sees a ghost, roll WP or gain an insanity point. You get a +10% bonus if you have the Stout Hearted talent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Kurt

SIgmar preserve me the outlaw mutters at the apparation. THen calming down he looks once more. If I be damned, better damned on that side of the river than this one.. He looks at the others.If this shade be dead, he be dead. But if he offers us the help I say we take it!

Spoiler
    Show

WP test (1d100)[31]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

A wave of fear rippled through Bernhard as the grey figure stepped off his boat and moved lightly over the water. When the outlaw's arrow went straight through him, it was more than Bernhard could take. He'd seen his fair share of skeletons, and zombies too, aye, on the borders of the Moot, but they had never seemed so real. Had he forgotten how awful those clashes with the walking dead had truly been? Was it possible he'd hidden the memories away inside his own head? Or had he never truly comprehended his unearthly foes, never wanted to understand the horrors in front of him?

For a moment, Bernhard Beutlin was no longer standing on the bank of the Owl river. A mishmash of memories washed over him as he seemed to stagger backwards from the boat. The things he'd seen. When that bag of rotting flesh had bitten deep into old Odo and ripped his neck apart. Odo'd been the closest thing Bernhard had had to a mentor in the Fieldwardens. Veteran of half a hundred mêlées against the Undead to hear him talk, but he'd been killed all the same. And when he'd seen that young human girl stabbed by a skeleton's blade, crumpling to the ground, only to stand back up and join the silent throng. He'd escaped all of those encounters, one way or the other, but now it was possible that this wraith was the only thing that could save his life ...

He opened his mouth to speak, but only gave a dry gurgle. On his second attempt, the words came out in a soft whisper.

"Boatman, how is it that you stand here, when you should be with Morr?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Willpower vs 35: (1d100)[56]
    Mad, they called me! But I'll show them all!
    Last edited by Thragka; 2011-08-30 at 08:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Dimzad "looking around nervously he approaches the ferry apprehensive about this phantom that seems to be controlling their only way across"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[30]

Spoiler
    Show