Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1127
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [Bleachitp:Reborn] Mortal World IV

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Oh, no you don't. Not again.

The good thing about an area attack is that so long as you're not in the area, you should be alright. Oni only set off twenty arrows; Byakusai is used to dealing with automatic weaponry.

Thus, knowing where NOT to be when the arrows come out is relatively easy.

In order to protect the bystanders possibly behind him, Byakusai quickly erects a wall of darkness beneath his feet, elevating himself in the process.

And then, of all the ludicrous locomotion methods, he tsunamis after Cackling Oni.

Seriously.
    Despite tsunami-ing after his prey, Oni seemed to keep the lead. It was clear the maniac was pouring on speed. At least until they reached the skyscraper-choked heart of the city.

Then he suddenly dove down and started to zig-zag between buildings. He managed to get out of line of sight for several moments, when suddenly....

His signature vanished. Gone.

If and when Byakusai got to the last point he had any inkling of Oni's signature, he'll find...Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's like Oni had just disappeared.
    -------------------------------
    [Streets Below]

At the moment, his target was draped in a heavy overcoat, collar turned up and wide-brimmed hat pulled down. Add to that the decently life-like mask and he easily blended into the crowd as he walked, acting for all the world like a man just going about his business.

He was just glad he had those disguise kits scattered about. His employees had thought it was one of his "weird things" like some of his food cravings, but he'd known better. He'd have to point and laugh just a bit when they scratched their heads over one of his crazier ideas being genuinely useful.

He'd already texted them and asked for a casual pickup a few blocks away. He really needed to sit down; he'd had to push himself a fair bit to put the necessary distance between himself and his foe. Now he needed time. Time to plan, time to prepare...
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #992
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    [The Courthouse, Reiji Mitsurugi's office]

Well, Reiji-san, I did, but it was a bit difficult.

Higure shuffles the papers on his clipboard, then begins his explanation.

My machines couldn't make heads or tails of it, but there were still some properties I managed to ascertain. It's state is fixed; I couldn't get it to change states at all. Anything I attempted to combine it with was destroyed, as well.

Higure clears his throat before continuing.

As far as I can tell, it's made of, well, solidified energy of some sort. It's certainly not any normal substance, Reiji-san.
    "Solidified energy, you say? I'm no physicist, but isn't condensing energy to the state of a solid impossible? At least as far as modern science knows." Reiji seemed genuinely surprised, though Higure probably couldn't guess that it wasn't for the obvious reason.

[Several hours later]

Damnit!

Byakusai was no ordinary tracker, but it wasn't his specialty either. That Oni managed to disappear like that from his sight was one thing, but he was certain his self-proclaimed nemesis had to leave something behind. Anything, really. At the very least, his spiritual energy should be felt in some capacity, however dim...

"Okina, come in."

"This is Okina, go ahead, Boss."

"Get a search on Cackling Oni started. Last known location is being uploaded to you now via the helmet's systems. He can't have gotten far without attracting attention."

"Got it, Boss. I'll be in touch. Okina out."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #993
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Solidified energy, you say? I'm no physicist, but isn't condensing energy to the state of a solid impossible? At least as far as modern science knows." Reiji seemed genuinely surprised, though Higure probably couldn't guess that it wasn't for the obvious reason.
    Higure nods his head.

It should be, at least as far as I know. I've never seen anything like it. At my lab, I have a machine that is supposed to analyze what elements are in a substance. When I put in a sample of what you gave me, I got two different responses. The first time I got a completely blank sheet; no elements in it at all, which should be impossible. The second time, I had to turn off my machine, because it attempted to print out every element in the human body, over and over again.

Higure looks over the papers on his clipboard, and shakes his head.

The only explanation I could come up with is that it's either solidified energy, which shouldn't be possible, or... Now this is ridiculous, but bear with me; from what I can tell, this substance may be what fundamentally makes up living things. Equally impossible.

Higure is practically speechless at this point, thinking that Reiji isn't going to believe him.
    Last edited by CMOTDibbler; 2012-03-04 at 12:41 PM.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

4. - Top - End - #994
    Orc in the Playground

"Impossible is merely a word we use to define something beyond our ability to measure or understand, Higure-san. The question then becomes, what do you do when you're faced with the impossible?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #995
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure smiles and looks up from is papers.

Well, Reiji-san, I do my best to understand it. And something tells me you know more than you're letting on.

Higure puts the clipboard under his left arm, which results in a quiet, muffled clinking sound. This causes Higure winces slightly.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

6. - Top - End - #996
    Orc in the Playground

Higure smiles and looks up from is papers.

Well, Reiji-san, I do my best to understand it. And something tells me you know more than you're letting on.

Higure puts the clipboard under his left arm, which results in a quiet, muffled clinking sound. This causes Higure winces slightly.
    "I'm not the only one, am I, Higure-san? I'm sure you know as well as I do that something like that shouldn't be visible to regular human beings. In fact... a lot of things aren't. I'm sure you know what I'm driving at."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure frowns, raising an eyebrow, then smiles.

Are you saying we're both mediums, then?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

8. - Top - End - #998
    Orc in the Playground

"I do hate having to do this dance every time, but that's a yes." Reiji replies with a smile of his own. "I'll let you in on a little secret. My conviction rate is based on the very simple fact that I'm the only prosecutor in the state that gets murder victims talking."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure laughs slightly.

Really, now? I suppose that would give you the advantage. To be honest, I'm not as surprised as I thought I would be to find out that there are mediums other than myself. From what you said, I'll assume we're not the only ones?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Orc in the Playground

"If only. Near as I can tell, mediums are scarce in number, but no, we're not the only ones. I have a fair number of them in my employ. Which brings me to the reason I had you analyze that piece of evidence."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you offering me a job, Reiji-san? What sort of job?

Higure asks, curiously.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Orc in the Playground

"I need a forensics expert I can rely on, one that knows how I operate. Someone who can interact with my agents on a daily basis. Your ability to see spirits alone makes you very unique and valuable in that regard, Higure-san.

My job is to find out the truth and expose it. To prove the guilt of criminals. Smart ones do everything they can to cover their tracks, however, and I am only one man - there is a limit to how much I can do on my own.

But I'm fairly certain you could be an immense help to this office. What do you say?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure smiles and bows slightly.

I gladly accept, Reiji-san. You can count on me. I'll let you in on my little secret, too, in case it comes in handy. I'm highly trained in hand-to-hand combat and kendo.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Orc in the Playground

"Interesting. I would appreciate a lesson or two sometime, Higure-san. I may not be a law enforcement agent, but I do get into scrapes every now and then."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure smiles.

Sure thing. And if you ever get one of those scrapes and need some, eh, assistance, just give me a call. You have my number.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Orc in the Playground

"I will do that. It may still take some time for you to meet other members of my team, but that's because I want to make sure you have a comfortable place among them." Reiji notes matter-of-factly. "You're not privy to my biggest secrets yet either. So I need to instruct those who are not to blab about them."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure laughs slightly.

Of course. Normally I'd ask what you're talking about, but I suppose I should prove my trustworthiness first. We all have our secrets, eh?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Hospital

The doctors had been baffled by Henry's case, but ultimately, after running some more tests, realised that perhaps they had just overestimated the lightning that actually went through the poor man, that he was merely extremely severely shocked and not absolutely overkilled. The doctors managed to treat his injuries and Henry reacted to the treatment amazingly well, considering the extent of the burns he suffered. Still there would be some lasting damage, slight paralysis, permanent scarring, that sort of thing. It'd put a damper on his policing career, but he'd live.

The explosion cut through the room in which the detective lay, smashing it to rubble and leaving a gaping wound behind in the flanks of the hospital. No one else was hurt, but the mind-screwing noise left half the staff disorientated and the other half struck numb with terror. The fire brigade arrived soon after along with the police, and after two hours had heard all they needed to know.

Witnesses were too stunned to really report on the full scale of the insanity which had transpired, and to be honest who could blame them? Henry Rheims Coleby was dead, as far as anyone could tell. Spontaneous human combustion or some kinda electrical fault. No body, but that was to be expected judging by the power of the explosion. Local newspapers would report his death and national newspapers would make mention of an explosion at a hospital in Pheonix Town. News travelled fast these days and the town would know the lone victim by tomorrow. Maybe there'd be mourning. Maybe the shrine would suspect a Hollow attack. Maybe no one would care.

Or maybe they were in for the shock of their goddamn lives.
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Orc in the Playground

Higure laughs slightly.

Of course. Normally I'd ask what you're talking about, but I suppose I should prove my trustworthiness first. We all have our secrets, eh?
    "Not to mention my actually replying would defeat the point of mentioning them in the first place as secrets." Reiji replied with a smile.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fair enough, Reiji-san. So, now that I work for you, what should I be expecting?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Orc in the Playground

"For the most part I need you to collaborate with my 'other' team in order to make the evidence we recover acceptable. Believe it or not, 'the ghost of the deceased told me so' isn't an argument people find very... convincing, in court." Reiji replied. "There is, however, one parallel investigation I'm conducing, which is related to that particular evidence I had you analyze."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pheonix Town, Streets

The lone figure hurried his way through the streets, trying to figure out what kind of mess he'd gotten into this time. Judging by the fact that he was ignored by the average passing bystander - never a good sign - either they were distracted by the explosion or they couldn't see him. How does it normally go in those crappy movies about this sort of thing? Doesn't matter, to be honest, but making light of the situation might help with the stress.

Unfortuantely, the figure dashing towards a certain car at a certain building was no good at making light of things. Ah well, at least he was dressed in his normal clothes, although he had no idea why. Wasn't there supposed to be a staircase or something? Or, well, someone? Oh come on, not even a beam of light? At least a flaming pit in the ground would provide some finality!

Nothing. Oooookay... Rather unnerved by all of this, he eventually manages to get to his car, fumble for his ke- oh right they probably exploded. Along with, well... him. Which begs the question, really: Was he alive or dead? All of the hallmarks of a ghost, yet on some base level he felt alive. No, more than that, he felt truly awake for the first time in decades. And of course, he remembered. He remembered the attack that night, and he also remembered that the thing that punched him into a tree was probably one of those 'hollows' the shrine girl was talking about. As for the other guy, well in lieu of a proper name he'd settle for 'duplicitous bastard'. Maybe he'd shorten it to DB later. Again not important compared to what was in his hand the entire trip.

Henry hefted the mace and took a few experimental swings of it. Somehow, this thing felt familiar, even though he knew from experience that he'd wielded it for about five minutes. Obviously its existence was tied to Henry getting killed or- wait. Maybe... Just maybe... He took one more swing and swore when the window on his car smashed. Okay, maybe not that familiar. Trying his best to look dignified even though no one could apparently see him, he ran back in the direction he came from straight back towards the hospital. They hadn't put the fire out yet, maybe he could get in and get out without wierding anyone out...
    Solomon Yeager by the exceedingly talented The Architect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Steilos
    Class: Thief
    Promotes to: Ninja

Skills
    Vantage - Allows the character to post first in all threads.
    Insight - Allows the character to see threads at a greater distance.
    Ah, mon petit choux fleur.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Dwarf in the Playground

"For the most part I need you to collaborate with my 'other' team in order to make the evidence we recover acceptable. Believe it or not, 'the ghost of the deceased told me so' isn't an argument people find very... convincing, in court." Reiji replied. "There is, however, one parallel investigation I'm conducing, which is related to that particular evidence I had you analyze."
    Ah, I figured as much. Solidified energy wouldn't come up under any normal circumstances. How can I help, Reiji-san?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, I figured as much. Solidified energy wouldn't come up under any normal circumstances. How can I help, Reiji-san?
    "I trust you've heard the news about the recent criminal activity in the city? How apparently we have something straight out of a comic book happening on our very streets?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Dwarf in the Playground

Certainly, it's been happening quite a bit lately. Are you saying you have something to do with this?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, I'm trying to gather information about who the individual in the white suit might be, what he can do. At this point all we know is from the news footage, and that doesn't help much. The piece of solidified energy we found was located in one of the known places he's skirmished in."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Dwarf in the Playground

Higure nods. I see. So, what else can I do to help?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Orc in the Playground

"For starters, I was hoping to figure out a way to locate him. I'm not sure what, if anything he did produced that speck of solidified spiritual energy. I've been tapping into every source of information, but I can't seem to find out where the man is hiding."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. I have some ideas, but I'll see what I can do. How should I contact you when I've found something?

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Orc in the Playground

"My agents will contact you, don't worry. I'll properly introduce you to them later." Reiji noted unworriedly. "With any luck they won't accidentally spook you. Some of them do that recreationally..." He sounded as if he'd had headaches about it before.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show