New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

MagCave

Magtok frowns.

"N-

Wait, fudge, what?! No, you goddamn idiot, that is not what you're going to say. Screw whatever you feel about elves, it doesn't matter anymore! Saur and Moon are, unfortunately, the closest thing to competence you've got around here, and morale is key! If you finish that sentence with a two-letter word, your goose is cooked. COOKED! Everyone is going to turn on you, you'll be dead before you hit the goddamn ground! You'll-

-o problem."

...Oh. Okay, so I guess none of that yelling was necessary at all, then. Whoops.

"I'll need to have a Magbot scan the good arm, to have a template to feed into the machines. From there, it's just a matter of hacking the old one off, sewing on the new one, and lastly, getting the nerves and whatnot to synch up, which should only be about thirty minutes or so of excruciating pain."

Well of course it's going to hurt. Nobody ever said becoming a cyborg was gentle, did they? I imagine it's about a third of the reason why Magtok's willing to go along with all of this, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagCave

Saurous looks confused for a second. No capitalizing on his need? Not even a small joke about his ineffectiveness? First Moon agrees to a plan without a single word of complaint, and now Magtok is agreeing to help him without even making some sort of lame quip. The necromancer is beginning to worry that the arrival of the Old Ones had done more to the fabric of reality than he originally suspected.

Incompetent doppelganger or no, Saurous nods as Magtok speaks, cringing a bit at the mention of "hacking" and "excruciating pain." He would probably ask to oversee the operation to make sure Magtok didn't use dulled cutting implements or what-have-you just to make the experience even more painful.

"Alright. Whenever you wish to begin, she's currently stable and in the infirmary. I should probably be heading back there, now."

He promptly turns to leave Magtok, heading back toward the infirmary as he said.
    Awesome Saurcrow avvie by happyturtle.
    Spoiler
    Show

I gots an award. Sort of.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    With the Scorpion Swarm
    "I can teleport us all over there, though it might tire me out...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    [With the Scorpion Swarm]

Eadin nods. "Shelter sounds good."
    She frowns at 'John', not sure if she can trust him.
    "What do you think, Gal? Or can you take us?"
    She uses waves of water to keep the scorpions away.
    "Uh. Sure, why not? I don't really think my preferred transportation is safe these days."
    If this place is overrun with hellish monsters, what of the shadow realm?

Aria has decided to back up a bit here, idly brushing at scorpions that get around Eadin's water.
    They still seem largely placid, for the moment.
    "I suspect they are waiting for something."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #454

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    "Uh. Sure, why not? I don't really think my preferred transportation is safe these days."

Aria has decided to back up a bit here, idly brushing at scorpions that get around Eadin's water.
    "I suggest we don't wait for that something."
    'John' extends his arms.
    "Now everyone join hands! I don't exactly have a perfect mass teleport spell....."
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

5. - Top - End - #455

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    MagCave- Natalie

MagCave - Natalie

Natalie only knows eight digits of pi, not eleven.

"Spagetti Bolognese, apple pies and I know how to use a microwave." I would have thought the bit about drawing or sewing would have been useful, or at least provide her with something to make her feel useful.

Magtok nods thoughtfully.

"How much can you do when it comes to sewing, then? I've got a lot of robes and stuff like this one lying about, do you think you could have them refitted and whatnot into something more utilitarian and less likely for the others to trip over themselves in?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [MagCave - Outside]

Rael's convoy arrives at the entrance to the MagCave.

MagCave - Outside

The very door itself speaks.

"Halt! Who approaches? Man, or monster? Refugee, invader, or thief? Have ye the Elder Sign upon thine flesh or cloth? The Eye of Derleth upon thine weapons? Turn away now if your intentions are not pure, my lord will fire upon any and all with malevolent intent!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurous View Post
    MagCave

"Alright. Whenever you wish to begin, she's currently stable and in the infirmary. I should probably be heading back there, now."

He promptly turns to leave Magtok, heading back toward the infirmary as he said.

MagCave - Saurous

The cyborg nods.

"Sure. I'll be there in a few minutes with the necessary equipment and such."
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-08-21 at 04:12 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

6. - Top - End - #456

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    "I suggest we don't wait for that something."
    'John' extends his arms.
    "Now everyone join hands! I don't exactly have a perfect mass teleport spell....."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post

[Docks]

Eadin reculantly takes 'John's hand, still holding Galinai.

"I agree, let's get out as soon as possible."
    Last edited by Eadin; 2011-08-20 at 05:30 PM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Fleeing from the Arachnids]

"Take us away, buck-o."
    Galinai snags a bit of Aria's dress in a hand, before they go, to make sure she doesn't get left behind.
    Maybe she wouldn't mind, but he would.
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #458

Fleeing from the Scorpions > The Brick House
    'John' concentrates and teleports them not to where they wanted to go, but to his own Brick House.
    "Ah great, I messed up. I meant to take us over to where we wanted to go, not to my house."
    There were no beasts over here though.
    Busy with Life

9. - Top - End - #459

[Brick House]

For now.
    Eadin doesn't look very pleased.
    "So we're at your house? Great. At least we're safe for now."
    She does stay alert, there's no such thing as 'safe' during an apocalypse.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

Saurous reenters the infirmary far sooner than the had expected. He was anticipating Magtok to continue holding his little grudges and act all uncooperative. But there had been no argument, no need to convince anyone, no bold statements about what they were fighting for and who their allies were. Just one averted stress-induced homicide and a short discussion. It's amazing how the end of the world changes people.

Seeing Moon sleeping, he smiles and does his best to not wake her. He attempts to quietly slide a nearby chair up to the side of her bed, with "attempts" being the key word here. The seat screeches loudly against the hard floor as it is shifted, and rattles as it is lifted.

Once he gets the chair into place after the commotion, Saur grumbles to himself and sits down. Magtok probably put that chair there intentionally just the mess with him.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

MagCave

"Um, I'm not sure. I've made a bag, and repaired my clothes, and added pockets to one of my dresses. Show me where the robes are and also needles and thread and I'll do what I can." But before she does that, Natalie will drop off her supplies of food.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

12. - Top - End - #462
    Bugbear in the Playground

MagFirmary

Moon Called is still sleeping soundly when Saurous arrives. She's still a dirty, sweaty mess, but there's something peaceful about her. She sleeps with a quiet smile on her face. No doubt she has found some form of relief from the fear and pain of this horrible reality in some dream.

Even the horribly loud clank and clatter of Saurous' struggle with the chair doesn't pull her to wakefulness. It does seem to reach her, though. Once the sound settles, Moon Called begins to shift. Her eye opens briefly and slightly, before falling closed. "No, sweetheart." She murmurs, turning her head so it rests on her cheek and faces Saur. "It's just the wind. Go back to bed, child.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post

Magtok nods thoughtfully.

"How much can you do when it comes to sewing, then? I've got a lot of robes and stuff like this one lying about, do you think you could have them refitted and whatnot into something more utilitarian and less likely for the others to trip over themselves in?"

MagCave - Outside

The very door itself speaks.

"Halt! Who approaches? Man, or monster? Refugee, invader, or thief? Have ye the Elder Sign upon thine flesh or cloth? The Eye of Derleth upon thine weapons? Turn away now if your intentions are not pure, my lord will fire upon any and all with malevolent intent!"

MagCave - Saurous

The cyborg nods.

"Sure. I'll be there in a few minutes with the necessary equipment and such."
    Rael steps forward.

"I am... A man. I suppose a refugee, as well. I have no signs or sigils upon myself, nor do I know what those you speak of are. My intent is to aid."
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-08-21 at 08:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Inside]

Against all logic and wisdom, a man is returning to this ruined city. His expression is grim, one that knows his time is coming, and that he should face it with dignity.

He has no intention of walking into the fire unprotected, however: Jakob is wearing his trademark Heavy Etherium Platemail Armor, which seems to have been upgraded immensely. Embossed all over it are several thousand copies of a certain sigil, immortalized in Etherium and Steel. This certain sigil is the Elder Sign, The Eye of Derleth, the version that protects the wielder from the harshest of the Old Ones' assaults.

His sword is similarly embossed, with the star variant of the same sigil running along the sword's length. If anyone was more prepared for fighting Starspawn than he was, that person could take down Cthulhu itself!

And he's advancing. Looking for Cultists and Starspawn to strike down, as well as helpless innocents to spirit away to the relatively safe GLoG.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Brick House]

Galinai and Aria both look at their surroundings.
    Briefly consider the description Uleryu had given them previously.
    Compare it to minimal John-knowledge.

And rather simultaneously pull blades out again.
    "Right. In past experience these little 'mis-ports' always go badly."
    "Fix it, or it will go badly for you."

Galinai's content to be rather chipper with it. Mistakes happen.
    But Aria is being downright icy.
    Absentee Spirit

16. - Top - End - #466
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

Saurous looks down at Moon, raising an eyebrow at her mumblings. He shifts awkwardly about in his chair, trying to find the spot that would cause the least creaking when he leans towards her.

The necromancer wonders exactly what she's dreaming about. She was obviously in a better place in her dreams, wherever it was. Her tranquility gives him pause when he considers waking her. He doesn't want to drag her out of some happy memory that she was reliving only to bring her back into the hell that they were currently living.

But he needed to wake her. He needed her awake so that they could begin fixing this world. But he still hesitates.

Ultimately, Saur does something somewhere in between actively waking her and just leaving her be. He reaches a hand out, and begins gently stroking her cheek. If it woke her, hopefully it would be slowly and gradually. If she stayed asleep...well, at least she could feel he was there with her.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467

MagFirmary

Moon Called doesn't seem to have much of a reaction to Saurous' touch, laying still on the bed. Her breathing remains slow and calm, peaceful and rested. Her cheek is warm under Saurous' touch. Occasionally her lips move in unvoiced murmurs as she speaks to someone in her dream. Even if Saurous tries to lip-read her words they are little more than unintelligible gibberish.

Eventually, though, Saurous' touch seems to reach her and draws her out. Slowly, her eye flickers open. It stares forward for a few moments, glazed and unseeing in a dull smile. She reaches up with her uninjured hand, entwining her fingers in Saurous'. Her hand is rough in his, calloused and worn against his softer spell-caster's hand. Rubbing her thumb against his palm, she finally looks up at him and gives him a soft smile. "Mm. Morning, dear." She says, softly. "Did you speak with Magtok?"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

[MagCave]

Reinholdt wakes from deadtime. He's since managed to paint at least a dozen elder signs on his clothes, and even on top of his currently bald head. Take advantage of what you can.

He goes to seek out a Magtok. There are various things that need to be talked about and taken care of and such.

[Inside]

Fez Hat Reinholdt is waiting for Phil's robots to take him into space, where it's totally and completely safe!
    Hopefully before that satellite hits.
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #469

The Brick House
    'John' sat down beneath the tree, he looked quite tired.
    "I don't have it in me to teleport all of us again. But at least it's safe here for now. We can grab gear here since we have time now. I have a full stock room and other gear inside."
    Busy with Life

20. - Top - End - #470

[Brick House]

Eadin sighs deeply. This isn't the time for mistakes.
    "Gear? Don't think some general weapons work against these beasties."
    She tries to look outside, obviously not at ease.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

21. - Top - End - #471

The Brick House
    There's only a couple windows in the house. 'John' is weary on his comfy looking couch.
    Eadin will see a large oak tree in the beautiful sceanery outside 'John's house. No monsters yet.
    'John' gets up and opens his cellar door.
    "I have some magical gear but I was thinking more along the lines of food, clothes, and other stuff. We won't last long without it."
    Busy with Life

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    MagCave

"Um, I'm not sure. I've made a bag, and repaired my clothes, and added pockets to one of my dresses. Show me where the robes are and also needles and thread and I'll do what I can." But before she does that, Natalie will drop off her supplies of food.
    Magtok shrugs, and leads her there after dealing with the food issues.

"S'alright. We don't need survival gear uniforms or anything just yet for the civvies. You can always practice and learn and whatnot until then."

Maggy, I think you're overestimating the girl. One does not master tailoring in a matter of days, especially not a child...

Rael steps forward.

"I am... A man. I suppose a refugee, as well. I have no signs or sigils upon myself, nor do I know what those you speak of are. My intent is to aid."
    "...You may enter, but consult another refugee on the signs and sigils immediately."

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [MagCave]

Reinholdt wakes from deadtime. He's since managed to paint at least a dozen elder signs on his clothes, and even on top of his currently bald head. Take advantage of what you can.

He goes to seek out a Magtok. There are various things that need to be talked about and taken care of and such.
    Hey look, it's Magtok! He's not that far from the infirmary at the moment, busy loading up a cart with a number of strange medical tools and pointy things, up to and including a rather scary laser saw meant for cutting through and cauterizing bone. Probably can spare a moment or two for the cat while he finishes up, though.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

MagCave

Natalie will go off and sew! She'll make the robes shorter, sometimes much shorter, and almost certainly more practical. Cutting off extraneous leg and arm coverings so they reach the knee (if that) and are essentially sleeveless, the removed material is converted into pockets. The Eye of Derleth and the Elder Sign are also sewn onto the front of each robe. Whilst the general standard of clothing stays roughly the same, Natalie gets quite good at the Anti-Old One wards.

She also feels wanted, helpful and useful. Plus Natalie enjoys sewing quite a bit.

The food is mainly tinned and chocolate, but there's also packets of coconut mushrooms and other sweets.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

"...You may enter, but consult another refugee on the signs and sigils immediately."
    "Thank you. I will."

((Will the door accommodate elephant-sized creatures? There are several of them, and large wagons))
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-08-22 at 07:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey look, it's Magtok! He's not that far from the infirmary at the moment, busy loading up a cart with a number of strange medical tools and pointy things, up to and including a rather scary laser saw meant for cutting through and cauterizing bone. Probably can spare a moment or two for the cat while he finishes up, though.
    [MagCave]

"Hey. Nice theory and all. Time split. Fits the situation while being completely impossible to prove or disprove." Reinholdt says. Seems he thinks it was just there to placate the masses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

Saurous holds Moon Called's hand between both of his own, pressing it gently between the soft skin of his left and the sturdy bones of his right. He returns her smile.

"Yes, I did. He agreed to help," he responds, pausing for a moment to let that little abnormality sink in. "He didn't even demand that I kiss his feet and refer to him only as Almighty Lord and Master. I fear something may be wrong with him."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477

MagFirmary

Moon Called is quiet for a few moments, considering this. Closing her eye, she presses Saur's hand to her cheek. It was, indeed, out of character for Magtok not to lord and flaunt any power he had over them. Almost distressingly so. Moon Called would be lying if she claimed it didn't worry her, just a little.

"It's... probably just the stress getting to him." She says. Moon Called opens her eye, looking up at Saur. "Saurous, I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a lot of things wrong. With everyone. Everyone in this base? Even Magtok? They're all we have. We can't waste time and energy on rivalries or stupid arguments." She squeezes his hand. "Even if it's just to keep morale up... I think, until things calm down, we should lay off him a little. I hate to say it, but right now? He's the closest thing to a proper leader we've got."
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2011-08-23 at 12:29 AM.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

28. - Top - End - #478

"Thank you. I will."

((Will the door accommodate elephant-sized creatures? There are several of them, and large wagons))
    ((*Shrugs* Magtok's always been one for massive doors, so I don't see why not.))

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [MagCave]

"Hey. Nice theory and all. Time split. Fits the situation while being completely impossible to prove or disprove." Reinholdt says. Seems he thinks it was just there to placate the masses.
    Mag frowns.

"Did you see the MagSat feed? Tons of people just vanishing. Not even getting slimed, just not existing anymore, people without any sort of talent for that kind of thing. Nobody is ever that lucky with deadtime. Pretty sure Squidsy doesn't just vanish the hell out of folks, it doesn't seem like his shtick.

So did you have something else to discuss besides existentialist debate, or was that it?"
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #479
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

"I suppose you're right. It's just kind of hard to suppress that belittling habit of mine whenever he's around," Saurous grumbles. He surveys the walls and ceiling of the infirmary for a few moments, his expression distant and contemplative. "At least I'll have quite a while to adjust to the whole 'be nice to Magtok' thing, assuming everything goes well and we aren't devoured by some monster from beyond the starts that slides in through the walls."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

[MagCave]

"Gersemi's Island sank." He states, simply explaining. Though not really why he's here.

"I grabbed a lot of medical supplies from GLoG's Infirmary and Medical Lab that I thought you'd like. Also this Amulet of Sustenance to give to our fattest occupant so they don't eat all our food. In addition to various stuff in my personal collection I figured we should get out of hammerspace and into reality. Decanters of endless water, weapons, etc." Primarily in case Reinholdt gets whacked. No getting into that hammerspace then. It's why he didn't volunteer for that earlier mission.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast