New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

[MagCave - Entrance -> MagCave - Main Room]

In that case, the large caravan enters. Of particular note is probably S'Kanthos, a human-sized, blue-black serpent, with a human head, wings, and a corona of shadows in which things seem to be moving.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

MagFirmary

"I know, dear." Moon Called says, looking up at Saurous as he stares off into space. "I'm not saying you need to be nice. Just... be civil. At least in public." She gives his hand another gentle squeeze, surprisingly soft and light for the barbarian warrior.

Moving Saruous' hands to her upper chest and resting them against her collarbone, Moon Called turns her head so she's resting it on the back and is looking up at the ceiling. Her eye half-closes, and she suppresses a yawn. "Hey Saur? How long do you think I'm going to be stuck in this bed?"
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

"Well, I'm not entirely sure," Saurous says, his attention having refocused with Moon squeezing his hand. "Magtok should be along any minute now with his scanning robots so that he can get the various data points he needs to construct a proper prosthetic. It'll probably take a few hours for the cybernetic to be constructed, and once that's done we can just whisk you off to surgery." He raises one of his hands to make a dramatic motion to illustrate the whisking, chuckling to himself. "Once that's done, it's just a matter of your nervous system integrating the prosthetic. I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics behind that, so you'd have to ask Magtok about time estimates."

He shifts his gaze down as he returns his hand into its spot next to hers. The necromancer spends a long while in contemplative silence, studying the three distinctive hands lying on Moon Called's chest.

"So," he eventually says, looking up to meet Moon's eye again. "This is what you want to do, right? You're ready?"
    Awesome Saurcrow avvie by happyturtle.
    Spoiler
    Show

I gots an award. Sort of.

4. - Top - End - #484

MagFirmary

Moon Called is quiet for several long moments at Saurous' question. For a moment she returns his gaze, then drops it and looks up at the ceiling, at the needle taped to her arm, at the cord it was attached to. She closes her eye for a moment, before opening it again.

"No." She says, finally, her gaze returning to the ceiling above her and staying there. "This isn't what I want. I want my real arm to magically fix itself. I don't like that I'm putting myself at Magtok's mercy. I don't like that I'm stuck in this bed taking up space." She sighs, falling into another bout of contemplative silence.

"But... it's not a matter of what I want and what I'd like anymore. I lost that privilege when I tried to burn away the shoggoth. I need to get out of this bed and start helping. I'm taking up space here, Saur, and I hate that. So unless you can think of a faster way to get me back on my feet, this is my only option."
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

MagCave - Reinholdt

Everyone dies in the end, Magtok. Happy, Zee, Elly, Vespe...they come and go, they appear and then vanish just as quickly. I'm sure you're used to it by now, though. I mean, you knew this was going to be part of the deal when you signed up for the whole immortality thing, didn't you? Of course you did! So there's no reason for that lump in your throat, you useless, stupid, whiny little infant! You never even visited Melody or Happy on that island, anyways! It's far too late to pretend to care about them now!

"Right. I'll have someone or a Magbot help you sort all of that out, then."

Magtok nods, doing his best to pay attention despite the wave of pain and regret threatening to crash over him. He's not doing a very good job of being numb and detached from it all, is he? You guys should totally burn him at the stake and replace him with someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

[Magcave]

"Right." Reinholdt pauses for a bit. That awkward moment where you probably should say something but never do.

After that moment ends, he rubs his temples and turns to go take care of that resource management thing. Probably off-screen a fair bit, since it's not horribly exciting. But it keeps him focused and busy and not drinking and that's fairly important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

While Moon Called thinks and speaks, Saurous gently draws his skeletal hand back. He glances at it periodically, rubbing his fingers together nervously.

"Well, there is one other option that we could try," he begins. "It wouldn't have to involve Magtok, and integration into your nervous system would be less of a concern. We technically wouldn't even have to remove it, unless you just really want to experience amputation. The only problem is...well..."

He looks down at his hand again, curling the bony fingers into a fist.

"...I imagine there are a few obvious and understandable moral objections to it, along with the fact that I'm not sure if I'd want to subject you to it."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Main Part of MagCave

And... because the whole idea of roleplaying a supply run makes me die of boredom, Missy and Edijar and crew have gone to the caches and retrieved supplies. There were no doubt harrowing fights, and great heroism, and everyone is probably wounded in body and mind.

Now on to the last stand stuff!

"Boss, permission to leave base?"
    Missy asks Edijar.

((Rebo, if this is not okay, then I'll strike the post. I meant to ask you about it, but I forgot, and then you logged off.))
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #489

MagFirmary

Moon Called turns her head as Saurous retracts his skeletal hand, watching it as he speaks. She doesn't reply to him right away. Her eyes drop to the bandaged, charred, useless lump of flesh that lays next to her. Looking down at the arm, she tries to imagine what it would look like if all the skin and muscle were stripped away. She envisions the bones, stark and white, moving of their own accord.

"Would it still work?" Moon Called asks, softly. "I need to do a lot of heavy lifting, and if it can't support any weight..." Her voice trails off in a vocal shrug.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

"It should still work," he explains, nodding. "It's not like it would be held together with string and tape. If done properly, it should be just as durable as your original arm was, only you don't need to worry about burns or bleeding. There wouldn't be much loss in articulation, either, so you could still do all of your fancy sword tricks after a little practice."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #491

MagFirmary

A silence falls over the room, broken only by the rhythmic beeping of various machinery. Moon Called raises her good hand. She holds it inches from her face, turning it over and wiggling her fingers as she examines it. It really didn't matter to her which one she got - skeletal or mechanical - as long as it worked. She wasn't sure if Saurous quite understood this. He kept going on about moral ramifications of things, like they even mattered anymore. Moon Called wondered if Saurous grasped how dire the circumstances where. If he realized this was a death or faster death scenario.

Finally, Moon Called speaks up, not looking up. "How long?"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Main Room - MagCave

It's been a few days after the supply runs, each one taking several hours minimum. Edijar looks a bit more harrowed and thin in the face, drawn out. It's obvious he hasn't gotten any sleep at all since this happened. He looks up from working on his armor, dressed in a set of jeans and a t-shirt with the Remnant symbol on it. He gives a bit of a sigh. "Go right ahead, Missy. And it's not Boss any more. Two people hardly make a Chain-Of-Command. Just be careful, okay?"

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Main Room - MagCave

Missy's still mostly in her armor, but her head and hands are free. She sets a hand on his shoulder. "I'll be back as quick as I can."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

MagCave - Main Room

Edijar reaches up with a hand to give her's a reassuring pat. "I'll have my Comm on, so if you need anything, just send me a message." He tells her. Missy was the last surviving person that he could truly depend upon. He wasn't going to let her go without some assurance that she'll be okay.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

MagCave - Main Room >> Outside >> Inside

"Meh. They probably aren't even alive,"
    she says, her tone sounding unconcerned, and she pulls away to put her helmet and gloves back on. And unless Edijar has anything to add, she heads out.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

MagCave - Main Room

Edijar doesn't interfere with her leaving, but casts a sigh after she leaves, getting back to work on keeping his armor in working condition, muttering prayers to gods and goddesses he never really believed in as he works.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Inside > Null Zone Let's face it, everywhere is Red Zone now

Submission Halifax, in full power armour, but uncloaked, stalks the streets, headed for a certain address. A place she hadn't seen in ten years.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #498
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

Saurous pauses for a moment as he mentally compiles a schedule.

"A few hours," he states. "Anywhere from four to six, I'd imagine. I would have to gather the materials for the procedure first, but that wouldn't take too long. Just sigils and braces and whatnot. Setting up and actually performing the operation would probably take the most time, followed by a short recovery period."

He leans back in his chair (accompanied by a high, sustained squeak), placing his head in his hand as he leans against the armrest.

"It certainly wouldn't be instantaneous, but we could probably get you up and around sometime tomorrow, depending upon when and if we start."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beckett's Clinic

Three O'clock AM.

Iriel is dreaming. What a dream it is. She dreams she is an alien, freshly born from a pool of icy water. It does not matter, though. She will not remember it. Only dreams that you are woken up from are remembered. And, even now she is slipping into the deepest reaches of stage four sleep.

And now we learn why she has this dream.

She dreams of icy water, for her bed and sheets are soaked through with cold sweat. In this night, every time the throes of stage four sleep are reached, she begins to sweat. She sweats profusely, a cold sweat. She writhes in her bed, muscles moving and straining, trying to achieve something she can not do. Her sheets become wrapped around her legs.

And then she dreams again. Many dreams this night are lost, for she will only awake from one. All the lost dreams, where do they go?

Iriel is dreaming. What a dream it is. She dreams she is a new butterfly, trying to wrestle it's way out a cocoon.

20. - Top - End - #500

MagFirmary

Moon Called nods. There is a certain absentmindedness to her as she examines the back of her hand. She flexes her fingers, watching the tendons pop into sharp relieve against lean muscle and bone, and relaxes them, watching the tendons fade and the way her skin smooths.

"I'd like to talk to Magtok before we decide on anything." She says, finally. "See how long he thinks the prosthetic would take, and ask him a few questions." Moon Called reaches out with her good hand, half-twisting in bed to rest it on Saurous' knee. "Maybe you should go see what's keeping him. I'll try not to fall asleep while you're gone." She flashes him a quick, toothless grin, only half-joking.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

21. - Top - End - #501

[Inside]

Things are...

Well.

Things are bad.

Really bad.

Some time has passed now since this insanity fell upon the Nexus. And those that aren't hidden away inside of mountain fortresses are mostly dead. Or worse. Things which defy description prowl the streets, hunting and devouring each other like wild beasts. Though no doubt they wouldn't object to a softer meal.

Anyone walking alone risks their own doom.

And Missy is no different.

Nothing has pounced on her yet. But her combat training will no doubt inform her that something is watching.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

"I doubt that he's delayed by anything important," Saurous says, returning the smile. "He's probably standing right outside, setting up some sort of fireworks display to accompany his entrance."

Regardless, he stands up from his seat, predictably accompanied by a series of annoying pops and squeaks. The chair makes another amusing noise akin to a handful of loose coins in a tumble dryer as it bounces off of one of the stark white walls on the far end of the infirmary, having been forcefully launched by a burst of telekinetic magic. The necromancer gives another nod to Moon Called before heading for the infirmary's exit.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #503

MagFirmary

Weeee-oooo weeeee-oooo weeeee-oooo!

Saurous might very well get run over by a speeding gurney, as Magtok pushes the thing by, racing towards Moon's bed with an assortment of scary and horrible tools, surgical instruments, and white infirmary Magbots too lazy to walk there but perfectly willing to shout loudly and make their eyes blink red and blue, as instructed by their master.

...What? There's an apocalypse going on, Magtok has to find some way to do something silly. He can only stay grim and serious for so long before the stress gets to be too overwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

24. - Top - End - #504

MagFirmary

Well then.
    So much for 'trying not to fall asleep.' Moon Called jumps as Saurous suddenly hurls his chair away, her eye tracking its arc as it launches through the air and flinching at it hits the wall.

And then as Magtok and his clones stampede into the room. Right on cue, as expected. Regaining her composure quickly, Moon Called turns her head, watching as the cyborg pushes his equipment up next to her bed. It was a lovely assembly of tools and gizmos. The ice elf had to wonder how many of them he'd made especially for her and how many were just happy coincidences.
    "You are entirely too excited over this." She observes, dryly. "Don't get your panties in a bunch, though. I still need to get some more information.

[hr]

Beckett's Clinic

Iriel has been given Beckett's bedroom. It's scarcely decorated, with little more than a baseball jersey with the Boston Red Sox logo on it the only thing on the wall. It's painfully neat, just like the rest of his house, with everything in its place and a place for everything.

The bed certainly isn't helping things any for the poor child. It's old and hard and several springs are broken and jab up under the mattress. It smells strongly of Beckett, and the pillow has several long, red hair woven into its fabric. It's also not terribly resilient to perspiration.

Meanwhile, Beckett is trying to sleep on the couch. Trying is the keyword. He keeps looking up out of the window and frowning, his fingers rubbing against each other nervously. He had gotten as much medical supplies, food and ammunition packed as he and Iriel could easily carry. He'd tried to communicate the plan to the kobold, as well, but wasn't sure if he'd had much success with the attempt. Either way, they were due to leave in... about three hours. It'd be a short but tense trip to the Magmart. Beckett could only pray that it was still intact...

... And that they'd make it there in one piece.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2011-08-26 at 10:04 PM.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

25. - Top - End - #505
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beckett's Clinic

Iriel will not wake up easily in the morning. Any alarm will have to go for a good five minutes to rouse her enough so that she could turn it off. More likely, someone will have to go and wake her.
    The bed and sheets will be completely soaked through with sweat, and she will be very thirsty from the water lost in the night. The sheet that was over her will largely be wrapped around her right leg. She will be curled up in a ball from the cold of having removed her sheets and sleeping in a wet bed.

Also, she will probably need new clothes. He current ones stink from all that cold sweat.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Inside

Missy doesn't react visibly, but she uses her suit's heads up display and built in cameras to have it scan around outside what would be her normal field of vision. It's not perfect, however, as the armour took some damage during the offscreen supply runs.

Meanwhile, as she waits to see if she's going to be ambushed, she heads closer and closer to the house where she grew up, mentally willing her parents to still be alive, and still in this timeline. Not that she really believes in the split timeline theory, but just in case. She needs at least one of them to be alive and here.

She needs answes.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

[R'lyeh]

Lewis is still awaiting the Alarm Clock's reaction to being poked, or possibly just studying the design of Hello Kitty.

[Lucy's Mind]

There are other windows, but they seem to be unable to be opened sans the one just before the creature.

"I.. I will try. But it's scary being alone."

[Beckett's Clinic]

Nach'tt and Mitta are most likely sleeping in one of the rooms as well, they most likely don't know about the MagMart message.

[Inside]

Rahona is wandering across the roofs of Inside, looking for K'rax and some clues as to when she should travel to to get out of this timeline.

Missy could notice her, it's not every day there is a bird-girl with a time-machine gun running around rooftops.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jakob is still wandering Inside, mercilessly annihilating various Lovecraftian Creatures with his Eye-of-Derleth enhanced weapons and armor.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

Inside

Anyone is free to notice Missy. The cloaking on her power armour is no longer working, so she's a giant power armoured Remnant soldier walking around. It's possible people might come to her for help.

But she's not going to stop and approach anyone until she's found out what she's come to look for.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

Tirin does notice Missy, and scans her emotions to make sure she's not a Starspawn.