New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Outside the MagCave]
    Divaonar looks rather indignant at Ilpholin's description of him. Which is... understandable to be quite honest. "I'm not a construct!" he pouts, stomping a little foot on the ground. "Zee's my Mother. Not my... engineer... Is a person who makes golems called an engineer? Because I'm not a golem."

He really isn't very sure.
    "Uh-huh. Suuuuuuure." Ilpholin says in that sarcastic and mean way. She's a real jerk sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Ilphlolin, Squiggles, Divaonar

Magtok breathes a sigh of relief, glad to hear everything checking out.

"Alright, good. You're either the most talented group of shoggoths to ever exist, or telling the truth. Come right in."
    "As if a shoggoth could possibly imitate this." Ilpholin moves her hands up and down to accentuate her body before heading inside, her minions behind her.

[Inside Streets]

Well that Phil plan to go into outer space is clearly a bust. Fez Hat Reinholdt is now just desperately running for his life, avoiding what other life that he can along the way.

[Inside Air]

The Admiral finally arrives with his Cryxian airship.
    You can tell because there are several massive cannon balls flying at the far stuff in the sky. He's too big and obvious to serve as a rescue vehicle. So a distraction is what he is, for those poor fools on the ground. And he knows it. But he doesn't really care either. With luck, the cursed lich will die permanently here. If not, well... he can always come back for more then. He raises his flaming sword at the sky.
    "Fire at Will!"
    The Admiral named the tentacle in the air Will.
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Inside Somewhere I hope]

Andy as mentioned won't give the Zombies any chance to come closer. a dowsen of sharpe chain saw like the Half-Life 2 onse appear around him and swing, creating a death circle around Andy. Every Zombi that seems to jum in will get on of the chain saws and slised into Pieces. After all Andy quiet well knows that standing around isn't good. he will go and try to reach a common place namly Trog's.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #603

Running the hell out of Inside

Allen is able to keep pace with the little drow child. The girl in his arms makes things a little difficult, but not impossibly so. Allen clutches her to his chest as he runs, blood rubbing off from her clothes and onto his coat and shirt, but he doesn't mind. They've had worse on them. Her head lolls in the nook of his arm, bouncing up and down with each of his steps.

But with his arms full, Allen cannot defend himself. He is forced to rely on the drow-child's help, following behind her as she leads the way through the ruined streets. Any tumour zombies that get close will be nimbly dodged, for Sadei to take care of.

At her question, Allen glances down at the girl in his arms. "What?" He asks, in momentary incomprehension. "Oh. Her? No. Where are we goin', kid?"

MagCave

((I have to go make dinner, I'll post here when I get back.))
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Run away run away!]

"To MagMart. Magtok is teleporting people to his fortress. It's probably the safest place left," Sadei explains as she abruptly pauses, peering off into the distance. She slowly begins turning her ear toward a nearby building... had she just heard-

Oh.

Yep.

There it is.

A thing of some kind is shambling toward the pair through that ruined parking garage. Sadei takes a deep breath and, "RAWR!"s at the exit of the garage.

The resulting sonic shockwave cause a goodly portion of the building to collapse. Take that creepy Far thing!

She then coughs slightly.

"It should be just over this way,"

To MagMart! There's a chance they might meat Andy on the way there?

[MagCave]

Divaonar scowls pretty heavily at his half-sister. He has decided that he doesn't like her at all and that she's waaaaay meaner than any of his other siblings.

He also walks up to Maggy and tries to give him a hug.

"Thanks for trying to save my sister."

[The Sky!]

Cannon balls are fired at the massive tentacle!

This works about as well as shooting cannonballs at a mountain. Except this particular mountain is able to get annoyed and send smaller mountains to beat you up for said shooting.

The air around the airship grows dark and livid as hundreds of mummified limbs worm their way out of nowhere and seek to twine around the lich's craft.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A small house, Inside

Without Raven guarding her way, Missy has to do a lot more fighting to get through to the next address, where her son's adoptive parents live.

The whole time, she is haunted by memories. Or rather, one memory. The cry of a newborn, who had just taken its first breath. It was the only memory she had of her... her son. She hadn't even been told if it was a boy or a girl. They had simply whisked the child away and assured her that it was for the best, until she came to believe it herself.

But now, he needed his mother. And she hoped she wasn't too late.
    And when she entered the small house of the broken down door, there was hope. Missy's parents had died without lifting a hand in defence, true to their religious beliefs in non-violence. But it seemed that her son's adoptive parents were less ideologically pure - perhaps because they had a child to defend. There was a battle going on. A woman was holding a magical ward up, while the man attacked the creature with an improvised flamethrower - an aerosol spray bottle with a lighter.

Missy finished it off quickly, and scanned the area. There was a heat source below the floor, under a rug, below the woman, under the dome of the magical ward. Their son (my son!) of course.

"Remnant! Thank the Prophet you're here!" the woman said, her ward dropping. She looked exhausted, with dark circles under her eyes. "I couldn't have kept it up much longer."

"Is there a safe place anywhere? We have a son..."

"Is he hurt?" Missy asks.

"No, just scared," the woman says. "Is it safe? Are there any more around?"

"I'll do a quick perimeter,"
    Missy says. "Wherever he's hidden, leave him there till I'm back."

Missy isn't gone long, only making sure the immediate area is clear, before she returns. "Okay, let's get your son, (my son!) and I'll try to get us a teleport out. There's no time to pack."

The woman rolls back the rug, and opens the trap door. A boy, dark skinned and stocky, leaps out and hugs his mother (she's not his mother! she stole him from me!) tightly.

"I was praying so hard, mama. I prayed and prayed and prayed." the boy said.

"Good boy. The Prophet heard your prayers and sent Remnant," the mother says, with tears in her eyes.

"We need to step outside. We'll get a better fix that way," Missy says.

"Dad, get The Book!" the boy says.

"What book?" the man says.

And with that, the mother freezes, and pushes her son behind her. "Th-that's not Peter."

Missy doesn't hesitate. Moving in a blur she steps between Peter and the other two and sprays him with fire. Lots of it.

Missy tries to ignore the screams behind her as the man melts into ooze, bits of him trying to escape the flames. But Missy is ruthlessly thorough. The boy breaks free from his mother's grasp and tries to run towards the flames, but Missy reaches out and grabs his arm hard.

Too hard. She feels one of the bones in his wrist break. "That isn't your father!" She yells.

"But the Book!"

"Oh for **** sake, I have a copy of your **** Book. Now let's GO!"
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-08-29 at 08:18 PM.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #606

Magfirmary

Moon Called listens to Magtok without watching him, her eye half-focusing straight ahead at the ceiling. If she has any reaction to his usual barrage of insults she doesn't show it. In fact, if anything they served only to bring a ghost of a smile to her lips. Just like the good old days.

But, once it is her turn to speak, Moon Called is all seriousness. "Right. So I have two options here. The first one is that I put myself in the care of a man who, perhaps fairly, hates my guts, with four days worth of downtime. Or I could put myself in the care of the man I love, with six hours of downtime." She turns her head, looking grimly at Magtok and Saurous. "If I'm in this Xun-damned bed for four days, I am going to go crazy. Thank you for the offer, Magtok, but I'm going to have to turn you down."

[hr]

And I raaaaaaaaaaaan, I ran so far awaaaaaaaay

"Magtok? Weird lookin' fella in purple wit' the robots 'n' the ego?" Allen asks, the irony of him calling someone a weird looking egomaniac lost on him. "Welp, any hut inna duststorm, I ack." The cowboy is interupted as Sadie comes to a sudden stop, and he nearly plows into her. He manages to come to a stop just in time, narrowly avoiding hitting her and knocking them both over.

"Goddammit kid, what are ya do-" He begins, impatiently, before he is interrupted by the child's unnaturally loud, primal roar. The cowboy jumps a foot, nearly dropping the girl he cradled in his arms. "GodDAMN kid, warn me afore ya do that!"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    [Lucy's Mind]

Little Lucy looks at the mice with big eyes, nodding.

"Okay"

There is a small dent in the wall nearby that she could hide partially in, and the kiddie Lucy will hide there quietly if Vicky goes on. Petting the mice to try not to think about the evil stuff that is roaming around.

Which is a bit tough to do inside your own mind.
    [Lucy's Mind]

One of the mice takes up position on top of Little Lucy's head, keeping watch while standing on her hind legs, as she's supposed to do! The other one decides to just scamper around on Lucy's shoulder like a completely normal little mouse.

Vicky, meanwhile, approaches the big humanoid monster thing! And by approaches I mean she runs at it as fast as she can, leaps and tries to kick it in the head. "Out of my way, big boy! I've got a friend to help." If she's successful, upon landing she will look around for something she can use as a weapon. This is a Silent Hill setting, there has to be a board with a nail in it or a crowbar or something that will miraculously never break no matter how many monsters you hit with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    [R'lyeh]

Lewis picks up the Alarm Clock and will somehow fit it in his shirt pocket, even though he didn't have one before, and look up.

"Groovy! Now all we need is to find a steering wheel and some psychedelic magic manuals and we're set to get outta here!"

Trilby may need a thesaurus if Lewis keeps talking like that, but for now he just gets a spontaneous Pixie hug.
    [Rl'yeh]

There...

Don't seem to be any steering wheels down here. Or anything else for that matter. Just a massive tomb with one very out of place alarm clock.
    [R'lyeh]

Trilby is hugged! He likes hugs! And since there are no steering wheels around, he will stretch himself into a steering wheel! "Mew Mew!" He says happily! He thinks that he will work good as a steering wheel!
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Dwarf in the Playground

MagFirmary

Saurous nods at Moon, a gentle smile spreading across his face. "Just give me a little while to gather my notes and materials, and we can start whenever you're ready."

He then shifts his attention to Magtok. "Sorry for the false alarm, Magtok. If you're still in an excited, helping mood, the operation would benefit greatly from a set of braces, anesthesia and the like. It's...somewhat unpleasant otherwise."
    Awesome Saurcrow avvie by happyturtle.
    Spoiler
    Show

I gots an award. Sort of.

9. - Top - End - #609

MagFirmary
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurous View Post
    MagFirmary

Saurous nods at Moon, a gentle smile spreading across his face. "Just give me a little while to gather my notes and materials, and we can start whenever you're ready."

He then shifts his attention to Magtok. "Sorry for the false alarm, Magtok. If you're still in an excited, helping mood, the operation would benefit greatly from a set of braces, anesthesia and the like. It's...somewhat unpleasant otherwise."

The cyborg shrugs. "Sure, whatever. S'not like there's anything else to do with all of the junk anyways. I'll be ready whenever you are."

Magtok gestures for the Magbots to turn the gurney around and file out of the room.

"Figures though, right? First person to get injured in this apoca-mess is an elf."

And with that last racist parting remark, Maggy leaves.

Just Outside the MagCave
    Spoiler
    Show
    [MagCave]

Divaonar scowls pretty heavily at his half-sister. He has decided that he doesn't like her at all and that she's waaaaay meaner than any of his other siblings.

He also walks up to Maggy and tries to give him a hug.

"Thanks for trying to save my sister."

After going out of his way to not pay attention to Ilpholin's flaunting and whatnot, Mag's rather taken aback by the sudden hug and thanks.

"...Trying? But she's right there, with-"

...Oh gods. That thing the clone in the BDD was helping out, it died? Mag's already gotten someone killed in this big stupid apocalypse? That...oh gods, this is horrible. Magtok hugs the thing right back, trying to bury the guilt in the back of his mind and not think about yet more bad news and the world's efforts to crush him and his will.

"I...I'm sorry. Go inside and make yourself at home."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

MagCave

Mainframe continues to play apocalyptic music. Somebody should probably give it a better playlist, or tell it to shut up.

Edijar

"Boss? I need a teleport for three, transmitting coordinates,"
    Missy reports in on Edijar's radio.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Edijar/Missy

Locking onto co-ordinates now, and initializing teleportation.
    His voice replies. After a moment, there's a shriek of static and an arc of electricity erupts above the city's Blue Zone, fanning out in all directions as it slowly dissipates. There's a long pause before Edijar speaks again. The...the net is down. He says, a bit shocked. The fire in the sky must have finally killed it. I'm sorry, but you're on your own. Want me to try and reach you by flight?

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Just outside a small house, Inside

Missy curses, inside her helmet only. Her two charges are waiting next to her, holding each other and crying for the husband and father they've lost, as their home burns behind them.

If I had come earlier. If I hadn't gone on the supply runs.

She could have asked Edijar for permission to leave earlier. Hell, she could have just left, permission or no. But she was a soldier, and she had done her duty first.

A mother would have come for her child first.

On the radio: "Yes, but stay low and as cloaked as you can. I think whatever it is might be intelligent."

To the mother and son next to her. "Teleport is down. Let me see your arm." She takes out some bandage and expertly wraps her son's (He's her son, not mine.) wrist. "Sorry I grabbed you so hard. I was afraid you'd get burned."

"Do you really have a copy of the Book of Arnold?" the boy asks, sniffling.

"'Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have. Twilight is upon me, soon night must fall.'"
    Missy quotes.

"Jedi 8:17," the mother says. "I didn't expect a Remnant to know the scripture."

"Oh I'm full of surprises." Missy says. She goes to pick up the pair, one on each power armoured side. "If there's trouble, I'll going to drop you. If I do, Stay close. As close as you can. Got it?"

Her own suit's antigrav is iffy at best, so she simply takes off running. Hoping against hope that she can somehow get through.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-08-30 at 12:15 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

MagCave

Those near Edijar will see him suddenly begin darting towards the entrance, leaving his armor behind. As he runs, he clicks his watch, and piece by piece, his power armor is summoned to his body, forming perfect seals as they blink out and then into existence once again. By the time he reaches the door, he's fully armored and shimmers out of sight as his cloaking activates before flying off towards Inside, locked onto Missy's position. "En route." He tells Missy as he leaves the only sanctuary left in Nexus.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    Inside
    Elena slips a few of the rounds from the mounted turrent into her pocket, if needed she would detonate them manually to create a gooey shield. She then looked at Tirin.
    "Come on, we'll have to go on foot."
    She then runs to get out of there. The Eldritch creatures might feel Cthulu's presence on Elena as Zero(The Experiment) was made with a part of Cthulu and she has been hanging around Zero.
    Tirin's probably pretty good at climbing over rubble, as he can jump over pretty much any places without hand or footholds.

If needed, he'll go back and carry Elena.

15. - Top - End - #615

[Inside]

Raven's getting torn up pretty well and seems to have decided that now would be a great time to make a tactical retreat. The chimera abruptly vanishes. This leaves the squid-pigs momentarily confused. Their noms got away!

By this time the pair of peeps from Umbrella manage to clamber their way over the heap of rocks. That means the squid-pigs have no line of sight on them! It might take a little while for the dumb animals to realize that another source of food is running away. Best hurry!

[MagCave]

"She died doing her best to protect the people Mother loves," Divaonar replies, looking up to meet Magtok's eyes. "There aren't many of us left, but that's what we'll all do."

He smiles a somewhat awkward smile. "I mean... I hope I don't die... I like living. But even if I die I'll be with Mother again. I'll just miss everyone else!"

So apparently the chimeras have some sort of weird afterlife sort of thing? At least Maggy knows she wasn't annihilated or something.

"Mother will make sure everyone doesn't die. I'm sure she has a plan! And besides! We're the Nexus! Nothing has ever beaten us! We always survive!" he adds with a broad smile. Something about his presence, his enthusiasm, his certainty... They're almost contagious. Something about this particular Raril-offspring inspires courage and hope. The hope that they really can make it through.

[MagMart Parking Lot]

"Oh..." Sadei looks rather sheepish. "Sorry mister..."

Welp!

They made it to the parking lot! Are there still clones and Magbots shooting shoggoths and stuff? Might be kinda hard to get in safely depending on how hot the situation is. Just have to wait for Maggy to describe it for us!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Sky!]

You can create rockslides attacking mountains like that! Probably.

Oh hey. A more here and now threat.

The Admiral starts chopping away at the hands with his flaming sword as small more defensive cannons fire smaller cannonballs at the hands.
    Cannonballs filled with soul acid. It eats at both body and soul.

Regardless of this, the ship is probably pretty entangled anyways.

[MagCave]

Ilpholin heads inside and goes to a corner to tend to Mister Squiggle's leg more properly now.
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #617

Inside
    Elena takes out her Walkie Talkie and speaks on it while running.
    "Zero, commence Plan B. I'll see you at MagMart."
    Zero was of course the experiment that looked like a humanoid made of red gel with tentacles on his back. His most notable DNA that was used to make him was a very very tiny bit of Cthulu himself.
    ---
    Umbrella Corp -> MagMart
    Zero has the walkie talkie in one of his tentacles.
    "Roger that, Chesire, Shoggo out."
    He was clearly having too much fun.
    "Alright everyone! Get into the humvees and gather up the medication and ammunition bundles! We're moving out to MagMart!"
    120 guards wearing uniforms quite like those worn by soldiers in Iraq carry crates into the Humvees and place them in the back. There's 30 Humvees with 4 guards to each Humvee. Each guard has the Elder Sign on their helmet, written with some sort of paint, and an MP5 with The Eye painted on the ammo cartridges. The vehicles also have the Elder Sign on the hood and the humvees have 50. Caliber mounted machine guns on them with The Eye on the ammo box. Only one humvee is different, having a Semi-Automatic Anti-Tank Missle Launcher on it. The missiles here have The Eye painted on them. This humvee also seems to be carrying no medical equipment and a lot of the heavier weapons. Linear Launchers, Incinerator Units, and Mine Launchers. These weapons stored in crates only have the Elder Sign painted on the outside, they don't have The Eye painted on them. The other 29 Humvees have 4 crates in their trunks. Two full of medical supplies and two full of ammunition and smaller firearms such as Sporting Inc. Magnum Custom Editions, Spark Shots, Pocket Incinerator Units, Charged Partical Rifles, Umbrella Magnums, and Elite Pythons. All in all, they have enough firepower to arm a small army and enough medications to keep wounded people going for a couple years. They hoped they would be able to come back for their heavy equipment. They also had the undamaged vials full of the cures for many diseases in a shiny steel briefcase. This had no Elder Sign on it. They finally locked down Umbrella Corp and drove off towards MagMart. They made quite a show too, what with Zero floating in the air above them along with a strange man in a black robe with intricate Eldritch signs on it, clucking onto a staff tightly.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #618

[TheSky]

The weird mummified arms prove to be far more resilient than one might expect them to be. And giant tentacles made out of innumerable mummy-arms are really weird. But really weird seems kind of par for course at this point.

And it turns out there aren't any souls involved with whatever this undead flesh is. It doesn't even seem to be made of matter in the proper sense. There's no way that something like this should be able to exist as a physical thing and yet here it is, winding around the airship and seeking to corrupt it into more of this alien undead flesh.

The cannon-balls seem to be doing something. But in all honesty it's like trying to drain the ocean with a bucket.

[Inside]

Once the pair of Umbrella peeps are over the wall of rubble Raven flickers back in nearby, once again appearing for all the world like a little girl. Her outfit is wet with blood in more than a few places...

"I am... uncertain if I will be able to be of much further help to you..."

[Umbrella Caravan]

Yeah...

That sort of troop movement is going to get a lot of attention. In this case the attention of a lot of civilians. As the column travels along survivors will peak out of the rubble and boarded up buildings and run toward the Umbrella soldiers in hopes of finding protection.

"Oh thank the gods, I was sure we were dead."
    "My son is sick, do you have medicine?"
    "Where is everyone going?"
    "Is there still a chance we'll survive?"

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

Tirin does a scan of her, saying "Are you hurt?"

20. - Top - End - #620

[Inside]

Raven stares at Tirin incredulously.

Then looks down at the blood pooling around her feet.

Then looks back at him again and replies, "Yes."

As for the scanner...

Depending on what it does it might get different results. Though suffice to say Raven should ping as a normal drow/human child at the moment. And a gravely injured one, too. She should be dead right now by all accounts. Several rather important organs have been ruptured.

The fact that she's even standing at the moment is pretty impressive to be quite honest.

21. - Top - End - #621

Thumbs up Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

Inside - Near Rubble
    Elena quickly looked over Raven.
    "You're coming with us, you need medical attention."
    ---
    Umbrella Soldiers
    Dave the Ninja walked over to the crowd of civilians.
    "Everyone calm down. We will be coming back for you later to bring you to a safe place."
    A medical crate and a weapons crate is hauled out from one of the humvees. Dave opens the weapons crate.
    "Everyone please grab an Umbrella Magnum and a couple ammo cartridges. You will be able to use these to kill the starspawn. Conserve your ammo. I'm sure all of you know how to use our medications. Everyone please grab a couple cans of Aqua Cure and a bottle of Adravil. Anyone who takes more then that or starts a fight will be killed. Once you got your supplies please hole up somewhere until we can come back to get you. Thank you."
    Dave will make sure that no one will take more then what they're supposed to. There's enough guns and ammo and medicine in those two crates for everyone to get exactly what he said. The soldiers on the mounted machine guns will shoot at any starspawn that comes close.
    Once everyone has gotten the stuff Dave gets back on top of a humvee and the humvees drive off towards MagMart. Zero and the man in the robe were discussing things this entire time while Dave was talking.
    Busy with Life

22. - Top - End - #622
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    Beckett's Clinic

If Beckett is startled by Iriel's panicked awakening, he does not show it. He lifts his hand away from her, slick with her sweat, stepping away from her to give her some space. "It's okay." He says with a calming smile, discreetly wiping his hand clean on the back of his jeans. "You were just having a nightmare, I bet. It's not surprising, considering the circumstances. Tell you what, why don't you go grab a shower while I go wake up the kobold and his pet? We might even still have hot water. You can borrow some of my clothes until we make it to the MagCave." He picks up the full mug of coffee on the bedtable, and offers it to Iriel with a warm smile. "I don't know if you drink coffee, but I made you some. You'll probably need it."
    Iriel takes the cup unsurely. "Thank you. For all three of those things." She takes a big sniff of coffee "WOAH! I'm awake! I'm awake!"

Poor girl isn't used to such strong stuff.

She gathers up some clothes and goes to take a fast shower. A really fast shower. She knows they need to get going.

She can feel the sky. The sky is coming for them.

The sky is coming.

23. - Top - End - #623

[Convoy]

Are they...

Are they seriously telling a bunch of normal people to hole up and wait for them to come back?

"What I- I don't know how to use a weapon."
    "How do we know you'll even come back for us?"
    "Yeah! How do we know you won't just abandon us!"

The civilians begin crowding around the vehicles, trying to climb inside or on top or just generally trying to hang on. These people are frightened and exhausted and angry. They've seen their loved ones killed and devoured. And now a bunch of fancy military types are telling them they have to wait?

Several of the men in the group place themselves in front of the humvees to try to stop them. "Have some compassion, damn it! Help us!"

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

Raven stares at Tirin incredulously.

Then looks down at the blood pooling around her feet.

Then looks back at him again and replies, "Yes."

As for the scanner...

Depending on what it does it might get different results. Though suffice to say Raven should ping as a normal drow/human child at the moment. And a gravely injured one, too. She should be dead right now by all accounts. Several rather important organs have been ruptured.

The fact that she's even standing at the moment is pretty impressive to be quite honest.
    Oh. Argh. I forgot you hadn't met Tirin before. He was doing an emotional scan; he's an empath.

25. - Top - End - #625

Umbrella Convoy
    "Alright, alright. Put your sick and wounded in the back of the humvees. There's just enough room. Women, children, and men will need to walk alongside the humvees while still having the guns we just gave you. Shoot at any starspawn you see that comes close. This is the best we can do."
    Busy with Life

26. - Top - End - #626

MAGCAVE STUFF

[MagCave]

"She died doing her best to protect the people Mother loves," Divaonar replies, looking up to meet Magtok's eyes. "There aren't many of us left, but that's what we'll all do."
    Magtok stifles the urge to correct Divaonar, and say that he's wrong; his sister died uselessly getting mauled to death by sadistic cat monsters, protecting nobody from anything. If he'd just managed to hide her a little better from the monsters, maybe they wouldn't have gotten to her. Maybe-

[Still The Same Quoted Post, Just the Other Half of It]

He smiles a somewhat awkward smile. "I mean... I hope I don't die... I like living. But even if I die I'll be with Mother again. I'll just miss everyone else!"

So apparently the chimeras have some sort of weird afterlife sort of thing? At least Maggy knows she wasn't annihilated or something.

"Mother will make sure everyone doesn't die. I'm sure she has a plan! And besides! We're the Nexus! Nothing has ever beaten us! We always survive!" he adds with a broad smile. Something about his presence, his enthusiasm, his certainty... They're almost contagious. Something about this particular Raril-offspring inspires courage and hope. The hope that they really can make it through.
    "Yeah...yeah, we will."

In spite of his sour mood, Magtok still manages to smile at that, and tries to pat the kid on the head as Edijar zips by to do whatever heroic Edijar thing he had in mind.

"This one might be a little harder than the others, though. Going to take a hell of a lot of teamwork to get through. Oh, speaking of which, can you sew? I've got a girl working on designing uniforms made of recycled MagRobes and such, she could use some help."

MAGMART STUFF

MagMart - Exterior

Elsewhere, in what was once the pristine and lovely Blue Zone of Inside, the MagMart continues to stand tall in the face of Armageddon, though it now looks nothing like it once had. Nearly every window has been boarded up, a mix of barbed wire and electric fencing keeps things from climbing to the roof, and a number of concealed Magbot snipers scattered about nearby rooftops and the windows of abandoned buildings keep a silent vigil over the area.

Vans, hovercraft, and all manner of other forgotten street vehicles burn in the parking lot, deliberately stacked against one another, covered in more barbed wire, and arranged to force anyone rushing at the store into narrow pathways through which MagMart employees could easily unleash a torrent of lasers and gunfire. A loudspeaker quotes various prayers, holy speeches, and sacred writings in a multitude of languages, but in a slow, mechanical drone, losing most of the effect in the process.

Signs of earlier battles line the landscape. Scorch marks in the pavement from laser fire, holes where heavier ordinance was employed, and the fried remains of fallen monstrosities can be seen all about. As far as anyone can tell, the place is completely empty and abandoned. The only clue that might say otherwise is the occasional flickering of lights within, the footfalls of Magbots rushing about, and the fence right in front of the main entrance, where what looks like a metal detector with "SHOGGOTH FINDER" crudely drawn on it next to a couple of Eyes and Signs stands unattended.

MagMart - Interior

"Sir, large and armed force approaching the store. I repeat, roughly one-hundred-and-fifty armed and dangerous shoppers approaching from the southeast. The parents are a red jello thing with tentacles on its back and a staff-carrying man in a black robe. They've got Jeeps, heavy weapons, and a MagDeli sandwich with everything on it. Over."

The unlucky MagClone who had been stationed in the store when everything went to hell sighs, gulps down the rest of his coffee in one swig, and then picks the radio buzzing on his desk.

"Affirmative, Sales Clerk 6. Obviously cultists intent on sabotaging our efforts to evacuate the other shoppers. Tell everyone who can get a clear shot on the group's parents to get the two in their sights, but hold your fire until I say otherwise."

Magtok sighs, a mournful look in his eye as he reaches into one of his desk drawers, and loads his favorite firearm with the best ammunition his money can afford. It's going to be a short fight, that much is obvious. The enemy has at least ten times what his forces do, and that's not even counting whatever Tentacled Tom and Robed Robert are capable of. Even so, surrender is not an option against these monsters. Surrender is never an option.

"Greeter 17, give them the refugee evac speech. Everyone else, get into positions, we're about to have a clean-up in the parking lot. Black Friday's come early this year, so shop 'til they drop, cut those prices, and show these goddamn shoplifting punks that MagMart-

He puts his bulletproof MagMart employee apron on and loudly cocks his shotgun over the radio, just to play up the drama even more.

"-means business."

MagMart - Exterior Again

The prayers from that loudspeaker thingy mentioned earlier come to a stop, replaced by another robot's voice with a completely different sort of message for those outside.

"Attention shoppers! For your convenience, the entrance has been widen to accommodate triple-file lines."

Widened?! How narrow was it before?

"Please approach the front door in an orderly fashion with your hands on your heads and your weapons holstered. Failure to comply will result in permanent registration as a shoggoth and/or shoplifter, and per company policy, result in immediate termination. Thank you and have a nice day."

Well, guess they better do what it says, right? How do they expect to fit all those vehicles in, though?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-08-30 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Nexus] That Day Has Come

[Lucy's Mind]

Vicky's attack has an interesting effect, namely that her foot will sink into the creature's head as if she had just stepped in a pile of rotting flesh. It obviously have bones when it stands up and stare at her with maggot infested eyes and a very inhuman mouth filled with rows of teeth, but there is no way it had them when she kicked it.

There don't appear to be any weapons immediately nearby, although she will clearly be able to see some kind of handle sticking out of the window next to the creature.

Little Lucy, meanwhile, is petting the mouse on her shoulder.

[R'lyeh]

Lewis grins and looks in wonder at the stretching kitty.

"Amazing! Phenomenal! Other words like that! Now we only need to find a handful of magic books or eldricth tomes and we'll be ready to sail this thing into the marmalade skies!"

With this exclamation, Lewis will pick up Trilby and fly upwards to look for any cultists or libraries that could perhaps lend a hand to his project. All the while whistling the tune to Row Row your Boat.

[Roofs of Inside -> Inside]

Rahona spots Raven and Tirin from her roof and half-flies down nearby, sneaking closer carefully to make sure they are not more Soggoths in disguise.

Or televangelists, those would just be obnoxious right now.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

[Inside]

Elena is with them, by the way.

Tirin is certainly not a Shoggoth. He's part Barghest, a bit of lion, some snake, and hefty dose of human, but not a Shoggoth.

29. - Top - End - #629

MagMart
    They don't.
    They Humvees make a circle around MagMart. This is so they can set a perimeter and help protect MagMart. Dave is sitting on top of the anti-tank rocket launcher. He takes out his megaphone and sets it to a low setting.
    "We are here with additional reinforcements, supplies, and the remaining survivors of Inside! Supplies will be carried in now!"
    2 soldiers from each humvee come out. They help each other carry in crates of medical supplies and ammunition into MagMart. That's 4 crates per humvee(except for one with a different load and one with only two crates). Half of the crates is medical supplies and the other half is ammunition. That's a total of 122 crates. 59 of them are medical supplies, 59 of them are ammunition, and 4 of them are heavy weapons. The remaining soldiers stay in the humvees for now and keep a watch for any starspawn.
    This is all attempted of course.
    Busy with Life

30. - Top - End - #630

Inside

There is an explosion of sound from the rooftops. An unimaginable scream of fury, abruptly cut off. Cement breaks and tumbles to the ground, sending up a cloud of dust and dirt. The sickly sound of ooze and flesh hitting a flat surface.

Soon the source of the sound erupts into sight. A huge lump of flesh and skin hits the ground, twenty seven arms wave in the air, set around sixteen disfigured faces that howl as they hit the ground. It oozes plasma and embalming fluid from several wounds, dark green bile leaking from its eyes and mouths. The horrible creature is followed shortly by its attacker. It looks like some child took a ferret, gave it the horns of a great stag, the wings of a bluebird and replaced its legs with those of an iguana. The chimera leaps down from the rooftop, diving head-first towards the many-armed monstrosity. The thing tries to move out of the way, but not fast enough. Twelve-pointed antlers ram into the monster, breaking bone and skin and teeth, puncturing eyes and breaking noses. Even as it screeches in rage and indignation, the chimera attacks it with sharp teeth and claws, tearing it and rending it. There is one final screech, and the ugly starspawn is no more.

Breathing heavily, the ferret climbs off his target, circling it once to make sure it wasn't going to get up and move again.
    And in the act of doing so, looks up and sees his sister and the two humans with her.

"Raven!" He calls. One of his wings is tucked next to his long and round body, low to the ground on four legs that spread to his side. The other wing is held half-extended, carried as if it were tender and hurt to move. He crawls over the trio, and pauses once he gets close enough to get a good look at Raven.
    "You're hurt!" He cries out in horror, and hurries over to her, his long figure circling around her and peering up at her wounds. He shoots the two humans a quick glance, before returning his attention to his big sister. Raven will probably recognize the chimera. He was was one of the ones who never got a name. He looks up at her, eyes wide in fear and compassion. "Please, let me help."

[hr]

Beckett's Clinic

As Iriel leaves for her shower, Beckett goes to find the kobold and his pet. He's walking quickly, with a tense and purposeful stride. Once he finds the pair, even with the language barrier they can see how stressed and worried he is. And how poor a job he's doing to hide it.
    As he approaches the kobold, he clears his throat to get his attention, before squatting down to eye level.
    "<Things bad. Much much bad.>" He says, in broken Undercommon. "<We go to safe home. Be okay. But not safe walk. Must go fast. We go soon.>" He pulls his pistol out from its holster, holding it with his fingers away from the triggers and the barrel pointing to the ground. "<You know how use?>"

[hr]

Outside the MagMart

As they approach the well-defended super-market, Allen lets out a low whistle. "Well don't that just bring back mem'ries." The cowboy observes, coming to a slow as he approaches the narrow entrance. "O'course, th' last onno these I hadta visit weren't playin' no holy books." He chuckles to himself. "C'mon, kiddo," He says to Sadie, hefting the carried in his arms to redistribute her weight as he approaches the front door and shoulders it open.
    Hopefully they won't mind that he's not dropping his load to comply to their order of putting his hands on his head, but at least his guns are quite clearly holstered, right?

[hr]
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal