New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Crash and Burn

1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crash and Burn

Brin: The elf, after closing the door, merely looks at you, the smile on his face an echo of your own.
    "I suppose you will want to know who I am now, right? With your history, you probably know that House Sinnodel does not actually exist. Well, I'll cut to the chase then." 'Narion' turns away for a moment, and then begins to change. His skin starts to whiten. His face loses it's shape, becoming quite featureless, and he stands taller now. Even his clothes have changed now, into a form fitting black leather outfit.
    "I apologize for the deception, but my identity must be a secret kept, even from the majority of this Resistance. My role is intelligence: Damien sends me out to discover what I can in the places where his other agents cannot go, and when discretion is paramount, so I am a busy person, as you imagine. My name, my real name, is Jin Seur."
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After pondering his current situation and imminent destination for the night, Windborne politely replied to both Jensine and Sanders.
    "By your goodness and without so much disrespect, I honestly have no need for any sort of accommodations. I prefer bedding down on a haystack or, at best, inside one of those makeshift tents than here--realizing that I might get treated better, while those citizens can only warm themselves around the pit fires. My sincere apologies."

With that, he proceeded to turn back and slowly started walking back to where the citizens are staying.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-09-13 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Myrfell shakes his head slowly, for a better way to split such a small team could hardly have been devised.

"Go figure. You can show me to my room or whatever, I guess."
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana: Damien leads you to a small door at the end of the hall. Opening it, he ushers you down a couple of flights of stairs.
    "I found these passages purely by accident, you know. I was actually looking for something else, and stumbled upon the entrance one night. It took months to install the security." At the bottom of the stairs, the ceiling opens out into what you think is a large, open space.

Windborne: The gates open soundlessly. The guard standing at attention merely asks you when you'll be back, and then leaves you alone. The thoroughfare is full of people, going about their daily business. There appears to be a smithy, as well as a large weaver's tent. The middle of the village is a little open area, complete with a wooden pedestal. Apparently, this is the forum. Most of the citizens that you see walking around don't pay much attention to you, but you do attract a few curious glances. It seems Damien has not told them about your arrival yet. At one point, you see Jensine leaving a tent. She smiles at you.
    "What brings you out and about Point Zero? It's not often that big shots such as yourself deal with the little people." Her tone is suitably mocking, but not so much as to be offensive.

Myrfell: Sanders, without another word, walks down the right hand hallway, and showing you the rooms. There are seven of them on the first floor, and another pair upstairs. There are a few outhouses outside, as there is no running water up here.
    "If you want it, then you can go and get a bucket from the well in the village. We believe in sharing here. Anyway, pick a room, I don't really care which one."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-14 at 09:49 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana says nothing, instead inspecting the walls and floor around them as they walk, casually looking for concealed passages or hidden alcoves. When they approach the large, open room she smiles and murmurs a few words, casting Detect Magic. She opens her eyes and looks around when she is done, gazing over the room for signs of magical power.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Brin nods as she digests the information. Well, that's one less thing to worry about--and one more.

"I did note that," she says with a note of amusement. Brin pauses for a moment to think.

"Thank you for being forthcoming, she continues. "I can keep your secret from the resistance, if that is what you wish. But my team is a different story. It's too early--and too late--to start keeping secrets from them. I hope you can understand that"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy if needed (1d20+32)[34]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

"Great." Myrfell's face is as expressive as a blank scroll now. "It's not like I'm used to having a cleric assigned on every mission anyway."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Just a personal preference, actually.", replied Windborne with an obviously fake smile. "Maybe because this place seems more lively... Or maybe because I'm in the mood for entertaining the masses... or maybe I thought I could be more useful here and do some errands... I could go on and on, you know?"

He stopped briefly to catch his breath, realizing that his body might be already a bit tired. Then he spoke again, an air of finality emanating at the end, "Perhaps I just find myself more at home with their company than your leaders'."
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana: The cavern is remarkably unadorned, save for a few practical necessities. There is a workbench in a corner and a large rack of strange looking weapons along one wall. There are also a few crates, and what looks to be a pair of wooden doors built into the stone. The entire area has traces of residual magic, and you can tell that there are some auras present on several of the weapons, as well as inside both the desk and the closet.
    "Welcome to my workshop. This's where I go to do my part, making little trinkets that might help. I'm kind of an expert in apparel, but weapons are still a bit new to me. As for that," he says, pointing at the closet, "that's a surprise. It's well locked, but inside it is my crowning achievement. Maybe another time, I'll show it to you." He shows you how to operate the crafting bench to make magic items, as well as showing off his collection of little items and weapons in the workshop.

Myrfell: Sanders having left you for now, you find yourself alone in the empty hallway. Behind you is the central hall, and there are doors to your left and right. There is also a simple flight of stairs, leading upwards. The entire house is lit by the warm flickers of torchlight.

Brin: Jin laughs, what looks like a grimace twisting his face.
    "I wouldn't worry about it too much. Damien, Jensine, Sanders, and most of the other agents know about it, so I don't see why your friends cannot. It is more of an issue, however, when one considers the population of Point Zero. It would be somewhat difficult to explain that a changeling is helping them, would you not agree?"

Windborne: "That's nice. If you'd like, you are always welcome to tag along, and I certainly wouldn't mind an extra pair of hands. You know how it is. There's always someone who needs fixing, right?" Jensine turns to walk away, after being called by a young looking dwarf.
    "Well, are you coming or not?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-14 at 10:58 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Of course, I will. It'd be an honor to help the people."
    With that, he began following Jensine. Windborne felt his facial muscles getting relaxed again, his expression unconsciously going back to its previous cheerful self as he walked.

11. - Top - End - #131

NinjaGirl

"I suppose so," Brin says. She sighs. "I'm sorry if that was insensitive before. It's been a long--and strange--day. What was it that you wanted to talk about, exactly?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Brin: "Well, you see... Damien meant for me to be your partner. You see, we have been working pretty hard to establish the legitimacy of Narion Sinnodel, my main cover identity. You do not recognize it, not having been here for a while, but I assure you, we've had agents whispering the name around, and we have even falsified a few records. As far as the Senate is concerned, House Sinnodel exists. However, the role I am to play is one a recluse, as you can be sure that I will be found out eventually. You, however, are a different story." He pauses, walking across the room to open a pair of closet doors, revealing multiple sets of female clothing. Dresses, corsets, undergarments, tunics, and what looks to be a leather jumpsuit identical to the one that Jin Seur is wearing at the moment.
    "These will do for the time being. I will reach you the manners that are appropriate in the Brelani court. You will have to relearn everything you thought you knew, about everything. How to breathe, how to eat, and how to sleep, these are the basic skills. Then we move on to lessons. The history of Brelan, the politics, and of course the fashion of the court. You will need to be able to recite every single name of every single member of the Great Six Houses of Hadren's Court. Only after this, will we be truly to begin."

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so obviously I am going to condense a lot of this. I can't be writing the history for an entire nation, but the Houses are all but planned out already. For now, we will assume that Jin Seur spends the first three hours or so introducing you to the 'basic techniques', as well as showing you how to put on the jumpsuit/clothes.

Windborne: As you follow the healer, you find that people are much cheerier upon your arrival. Jensine consistently introduces you as John, a traveling practitioner. The first patient is a pregnant woman, followed by an archer with an infected wound, and then a smith's apprentice who burned her hands. The minutes quickly becomes an hour, which in turn becomes two, and then three. Before you know it, the village is quieter. It appears that the people down here operate on a different time table, as by your estimate, it is about dawn now.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-14 at 10:57 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana taps her chin for a moment, and then smiles, her elegant lips finally parting to reveal straight, white teeth. "I believe I can do wonders for you. I may look like one woman, my new friend, but I can emulate an entire team of dedicated and skill crafters and smiths. The infusion I use is similar to an 'Unseen Servant' spell, but instead of simply floating around being useless for a few hours it instead works at a specific task for a period of days; I've managed to make then last over a week, if I need them to. I can summon up around ten of them a day if I don't use my power for anything else, though I still have a contingent of spells if I'm needed after I call them all up."

She laughs a bit, the thought of what she can accomplish washing over here. "I can do so much here, Damien. I can really help. I can do armorsmithing, metalworking, bowmaking, and weaponsmithing. Do you need weapons? Armor? How can I us my power to help best?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Unseen Crafter, from Races of Eberron. It makes low-scale manufacturing possible.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-09-14 at 11:33 PM.

LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After what seemed like three hours, Windborne took a small break from his duty to catch some air and to stretch his arms and legs. His body started to feel the effects of being up all night. He felt a bit weary and exhausted, and his eyes are getting bloodshot. Shortly after the break, he went back and spoke to Jensine.
    "I must say, I'm quite impressed with how you people operate here. I haven't seen such tenacious and dedicated healers before... even I can't fully keep up with that. Which makes me wonder... How do you yourselves recuperate? I assume that some have spellcasting abilities, which seems to required a good amount of rest."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Left on his own, Myrfell proceeds to inspect the rooms, but without much interest, and ends up with barricading inside the one he deems the least dilapidated. At the present, his thoughts are mostly hovering over the chance that any of the witnesses back at the bar could leak what transpired, considering the less-than-discreet meeting with the rebels.

Spoiler
    Show
    And about barricading, he means it. Anything that can be moved over to the door and block/slow it from outside opening will do, including, but not limited to, a bed if there's any.
    Last edited by Andre; 2011-09-15 at 07:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne: Jensine seems just as tired as you, and, taking off her bloodstained gloves, seems as if ready to fall over.
    "Truth be told, do have a few on that score. But it's not about how powerful you are, it's what you do with the power that is given to you. That is true strength." She walks back to a large tent, and taking off her overcoat, opens up the flap and slips inside soundlessly. She calls out a thank you from inside, quieting down.

Myrfell: From above you, you hear a the distinct sounds of sobs and the occasional heavy object crashing into something. Apparently, someone is having a tantrum. There are other sounds too, a faint crackling and a soft voice, but you can make out little. Finally, there is a long, unbroken silence.

Lilliana: "Well, it'd definitely be an improvement on the current system." He laughs, and shakes his head, before leading you back upstairs, in front of an unoccupied bedroom.
    "It's getting early, so get some rest. You're going to need it. Tomorrow you start the big job." He leaves, without saying another word.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-15 at 09:12 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After having heard Jensine, Windborne wondered if this means that their operations for now are done. He then wanders around Point Zero, looking for bunches of dry leaves, straw, even scrap pieces of clothing--anything that could be turned into a makeshift bed against the cold ground.

Afterwards, he tries to find a comfortable location to sleep, preferably in a very dark or at least poorly lit area. He then lets go of his host, and let its body recover for the day. He plans to spend his time outside the body, watching the area within his field of vision, just in case someone finds the body and tries to do something unexpected.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Several dangerous assignments have bestowed upon Myrfell the ability to nap under pretty much any circumstance and at any moment of the day - the commotion upstairs, not being directly a threat to him, does not disturb his rest, although while drifting off and on sleep he vaguely considers wheter to psionically scry there or not. At least until the noise ceases.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana was nearly overflowing with excitement and energy, and she tried to explain that she could set up a dozen Unseen Crafters before she went to sleep, but it seemed her host would hear nothing of it. Put to her room, she grumbled about efficiency as she ate some trail food and prepared to trance, her faithful homunculus settling down in front of the door to wait the night, watching over his master with pride. Lilliana eventually drifted off, trancing about the wonders she was soon to make.

LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

The hours pass, the cycling momentum of the unseen stars slowly pulling the strings of time. The village is dark now, for the most part, its citizens having long since gone to bed.

Windborne: After some time of inactivity, you see a guard approaching. He tells you that Damien is about to hold a meeting in the central hall, and that he will escort you there. Just before leaving, he turns to you and smiles.
    "And thanks. Ya've got no idea how much we appreciate the effort ya're makin' our behalf."

Brin, Lilliana, Myrfell: Inside the house, some noise can be heard. The creaking of wood, under the pressure of boots. The clanking of lanterns, held up to ward off the darkness. The heavy breath of the sentries, making their rounds. Unobtrusive these men are not, it seems. Almost simultaneously, each of you hears a knock on your door. It's time.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-18 at 08:44 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #141

NinjaGirl

Brin smooths her hair, checks her disguise in her hand mirror one more time, and answers the door.

"Where to?" she asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since these are supposed to be secret, assuming this mission requires a disguise (does Brin even know what it is yet? If she doesn't have any idea, she'll wait and do this later), can you roll me a disguise check? It should be (though you can double check if you want) +34 using humanoid shape, casting improv and using 4 points, and 1 use of the disguise kit. Also +2 when I know I'm being observed and am trying to act in-character, +2 vs. nobility, and I can re-establish the disguise with a bluff check against a successful observer or group 1/day.

And I'm leaving in a minute for a departmental thingamabob and I'll be back on Tuesday.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana had just finished strapping on her pack, belts, wands, scroll-cases, spell component pouches, and other assorted tools when the knock came. She pats Dirk on the head, moves to the door, and opens it quietly. "Where, what, and when?"

LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Some commotion can be heard through the door not long after the knock (but not immediately either), and particularly the rumbling of furniture being moved all over the room.

"Knock it off, I'm coming." echoes Myrfell's voice subsequently.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hours passed by as Windborne, who's hovering still in one corner, watched his old host, like a predator waiting for any unwary prey who might take the bait. From time to time, he stares at the man to remember its past--the reason for such person to deserve this cruel fate.

To go as far as sell his daughter's dignity... to murder and betray many people... just so he can get at the top? Abominable!
    Now here he lies, alive but not living... Soul imprisoned by me!
    Justice has been served.

An hour later, Windborne saw a guard headed towards him. He then quickly repossessed the body and pretended to be just waking up. After having been told about Damien's summons, he silently followed; responding only once after having been thanked by the guard.
    "No need to be thankful...I'm glad to help"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne, Lilliana, Myrfell: The three of you are led into the central hall of the house. In the room are Damien, Jensine, Sanders, and three other soldiers, a man, a dwarf, and a woman. Narion is conspicuously absent, as is Brin. The other Resistance leaders are standing around the table, examining a map of the city and what looks to be an intelligence report. Upon your arrival, Damien looks up at you.
    "Ah, I see you've been prompt. It's time for your first assignment." Flashing the report in front of your eyes, he walks to the other side of the room, before facing all of you.
    "Word on the street has led us to believe that the new main supplier and financier of Brelan is a bank, known as Carnes and Wright. They've taken over one of the old buildings in the Bazaar, and all but restored it. Now, our intelligence not only substantiates their reports, but also brings us an opportunity. One of their ships is arriving at noon, with a shipment of equipment. 122 weapons, 13 chain shirts, 6 breastplates, a suit of plate armor, 9 coils of rope, some other trinkets, roughly 10,000 gold marks, and enough foodstuffs to supply us for another month. We need this, folks. Let's move out. You've got 15 minutes to get whatever you need, and then head out to the cave exit.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-09-18 at 07:01 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After the briefing, Windborne raises his hand in response. He coughs for a bit before speaking to Damien.
    "Do you, perhaps, keep some prisoners in here? Traitors, captured enemies, anything of that sort--preferably someone who is physically fit at the moment."
    Spoiler
    Show

Agenda: He's looking for another host. Hopefully someone better than the old man.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-09-18 at 07:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne, Lilliana, Myrfell: "Not here, anyway. It's not unheard of for some of our agents to attempt interrogations, but bringing untrustworthy outsiders here would be the last thing we would do. Now, unless you have any more questions, I need to see to our intelligence specialist. In the meantime, you should get acquainted with the rest of the team. They will be, after all, working with you for the next while or so."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Alright then. I got no more questions for now", he replied. While given some time to prepare, Windborne does his daily routine of reinforcing himself with invocations.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beguiling Influence (+6 Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise)
    Dark One's Own Luck (+Cha to any one save (Ref)
    All-Seeing Eyes (+6 Search, Spot)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana mentally reviews her prepared spells for the day, and she takes the time to inspect her homunculus, ensuring that her iron defender was completely unmarred and ready for action. She smiled at the thought of the day to come; it may we wild and hectic and crazy, but it would surely be exciting, and she had little doubt that by the end of the day she would have new perspectives through which she could work the magic of her craft.

LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

With a theatrical gesture, Myrfell dons a plain and worn hat he has taken from his backpack and stretches his muscles.

"Just about the time to get ready. We get in, do the job, get out. We'll toast with lotsa liquors when we get back, team."