New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Crash and Burn

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crash and Burn

Brin: As you slowly move around the lawns, you catch snippets of half whispered conversations.
    "... heard that Jareth Corvayne is to abdicate..."
    "... what about this new supplier..."
    "... our boys are prepared for whatever..."
    The nearest group is of a roughly even ratio of male to female elves. The center of attention seems to be a male, wearing the gray and green of a Brelani officer's uniform. His chin is weak, but his features are handsome enough, and of a good proportion. His hair is a pale blonde, and cropped very short. However, while you are examining him, he turns, having noticed you immediately.
    "Greetings! I don't believe I have had the pleasure. My name is Loria Endell. And you are..."

Lilliana: The rooftop is, exactly as Raisa predicted, utterly empty, save for a pair of birds that fly off as you arrive. Below, you can see the skiffs advancing through the canal, headed towards a small bridge. They are still a ways off, but they are much nearer now than when you first saw them. Setting herself up over the edge, Raisa pulls out a shortbow, and a quiver of arrows.
    "This should stop them right in their tracks. From way up here, I can't kill anyone, but I hope that I can draw their attention, at least for a moment or two. And if I do manage to hit one of them, well they might be in for a surprise." She grins at you, kneeling down to get a better angle of descent.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-10-07 at 08:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Myrfell hums quietly a tune, and again a barely visible oblong disk wavers in front of him prior to disappearing completely as he ceases humming.
    He directs his gaze to the approaching skiffs, attempting to assess their distance and the number of guards manning them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Force Screen, +4AC for 8 minutes, -1 PP.

Do I need a spot check for the second part? (1d20+6)[23]
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana smiles wickedly, and she takes out her light crossbow and her bolts, laying them out for easy access. "Why wouldn't you be able to kill anyone from up here? I believe I can help you out a bit more than you expect. Now, then, is your weapon already magical? What properties does it have? I can do a lot, but I need information to do it." She takes out some unguents and powders. "This should be fun."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Myrfell: By your estimate, there are a pair of guards on each boat, accompanied by a sailor. That makes fifteen personnel in all. They are getting much closer now. Each guard wears chainmail, carries a shortbow and a sidearm (usually a dagger, but always one handed), and sports a tabard of black and gold. On their chests are emblazoned a crossed key and pen. These aren't city guardsmen, but hired mercenaries.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After putting on the mask given to him earlier, Windborne told Myrfell and his other companions that he is going after the nearest rowboat and assault it once the others start to as well. He then hovers down underwater, subrmerging enough so that his eyes are still above water level, looks for the nearest vessel and stealthily heads in that direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Silently moving at half-speed(-5) to remain hidden:(1d20+14)[16]
    edit: feel free to add any amount of bonus to above roll (since it sucked) for being almost submerged.
    Spot just in case: (1d20+23)[41]

Of course, he'll still most likely wait for the others before starting the assault.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-10-08 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana smiles. "It's time to get to work, it seems." She then moves in a flurry of motion, inscribing strange syllables with strange unguents on her crossbow; the bow crackles with light and power after but a few seconds of work. She next moves her hand over her vestiment, infusing her clothing with a swirling shield of power. Finally she casts an illusion, seeming to split herself half a dozen times. She looks to her new companion and winks. "And now for the fun part." She says a quick word and then snaps her fingers, infusing the two of them with buzzing speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Rapid Concurrent Infusions to infuse her bow with Humanbane, Quick Loading, and Shock, then casting Shield of Faith on herself for +3 AC, then casting Mirror Image for (1d4+2)[3] images, then Haste for all the benefits that grants.

LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Myrfell peruses the last moments before engaging the enemies to prepare himself, closing his eyes and concentrating intensely. First his sword, and successively his whole figure, then shimmer wanly for a few seconds each.

As last preparations, he ingests his pearl and draws Fatewhistler, sharing a few tactical pieces of informations as he does.
    "A couple of guards and a sailor for each boat. When we get rid of the guards, we may even subdue the sailor to bring the boat wherever we want."
    "Probably we should sink them only when they're about to flee."

Spoiler
    Show
    Precognition, Defensive and Presciense, Offensive for -1PP each, granting +1 insight bonus AC and saving throws, and +2 bonus to damage rolls for 8 minutes.
    Last edited by Andre; 2011-10-12 at 05:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Myrfell, Windborne: Jace looks at the both of you, smiles, and walks towards the edge of the water. He pulls out the scroll from earlier. Unfurling it, you catch one last glance at the alien script and symbols. And then he begins to read. Jarring, discordant, cacophonous syllables, followed swiftly by flowing lyrics fill the air, conjuring up images of dark depths and unexplored fathoms. After what seems like an eternity, you realize that he has stopped chanting. "Stand back." His voice is unnaturally deep for a human. He holds out his hands, examining the surface of the canal below. The water begins to move. Slowly at first, in little waves. Gradually, however, the disturbance increases in magnitude until the surface of the water finally breaks. Emerging from the canal is a vortex, which eventually takes a vaguely humanoid form, about nine feet in height. The only sounds you can hear now are the cries of the men on the boats who have realized what is going on, and the faint gurgling sound of death.

Lilliana: From the roof, you and Raisa get the best view of the situation. Jace has summoned the elemental behind the convoy, creating a pincer by blocking off their escape. The others are still standing on the edge of the water, ready to charge, save for Windborne, who is absent. Raisa smiles.
    "Now that's what I was waiting for." She takes aim and promptly fires at the closest boat. The arrow's descent is true, but the target, one of the guards, has fallen out of the boat in the confusion. The missile slides solidly into the wooden planking of the watercraft.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana lines up her first shot, and she lets out the breath she was holding. She smiles, and whispers so quietly Raisa can barely hear it. "Let there be blood."

And there was.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise round Full Attack on the guard on the nearest boat. If he drops, she targets the guy next to him. She's only aiming for guards right now.

Attack 1: (1d20+14)[20]
    Damage 1: (1d8+3)[8] Piercing + (2d6)[6] + (1d6)[4] Electricity
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[23]
    Damage 2: (1d8+3)[11] Piercing + (2d6)[9] + (1d6)[1] Electricity
    Attack 3: (1d20+9)[17]
    Damage 3: (1d8+3)[11] Piercing + (2d6)[7] + (1d6)[5] Electricity

Lilliana
    Female Neutral Good Elf Artificer8//LA2/Wizard6, Level 8, Init +2, HP 40/40, Speed 30ft.
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19, Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
    +1 Human-Bane Quick-Loading Shock Light Crossbow +14/+9 (1d8+3+3d6, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt, Mithral Buckler (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex, +3 Deflect, +1 Dodge)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 22, Wis 8, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-10-12 at 01:02 PM.

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana: After an eternity, your first arrow finally reaches the nearest boat, catching the last man aboard in the shoulder. He staggers back in shock, but manages to remain standing. The next shaft catches the man directly in the throat. As he stumbles around the deck, desperately trying to stop the current of his life, his blood spurts violently all over his comrades. After a few seconds of flailing about, he falls to the deck, unconscious. He will not last much longer. The last guard, seemingly aware of your attack, manages to move ever so slightly out of the way. Your missile grazes his epaulet, but draws no blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe the term 'First Blood' is appropriate here.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

See you at the next boat, champ. Windborne told Myrfell. After seeing Lilli fire at the guards in the first boat, he decided to move towards the second nearest vessel instead. Once there, he plans to control the crowd and then take command of the boat. His first course of action is to scare the brains out of the crew.

"Time to play, ladies!" shrieked he to the boat's crew.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using move actions to approach the 2nd rowboat. If 1 move action is enough, using another move action to use Intimidate(fear effect) skill to demoralize them.
    Roll: (1d20+28)[45]
    vs. NPC (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear)
    Using Never Outnumbered skill trick to demoralize all within 10ft. of range.
    Imperious Command feat makes enemies cowering for 1 round, then shaken on the ff 1 round, if successfully demoralized.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-10-15 at 02:55 AM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne: Sliding just beneath the rolling crest of the surface, you make you way closer to the second boat, calling out your message and attempting to demoralize them. Unfortunately, you are too far away for your message to have any effect, but the last remaining man on the closest boat is affected. The combination of his friend dying in front of him and your shout renders him all but catatonic and, dropping his bow, he falls to the deck of the skiff, sobbing.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Myrfell follows up on Windborne's approach, and initiates a step forward while aiming surefoot for the second rowboat. His mantle flutters in the breeze as an istant after he completes the movement on the squicky plank in the middle of the flabberghasted crewmen.
    For a moment the guards seem to be too surprised to properly defend themselves, and Myrfell considers merely ducking them overboard, but opts for slashing the closest one targeting precisely a weak juncture of his chainmail instead. Leaving witnesses behind could be a terrible setback.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimension Slide as a move action costs 9 PP.

Attack (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage (2d6+5)[11] add +2 if it's Human and Sudden Strike DMG (2d6)[4]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Myrfell: The guards and crewmen of the second boat, flabbergasted at Myrfell's arrival, hesitate for a moment. The first guard reaches for his short sword, but your hand is much too quick, and Fatewhistler lives up to its name. The tip of your deep crystal sword pierces his left flank, drawing blood. He cries out.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"Valanthe Sinnodel," Brin supplies. "And the pleasure is mine."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana begins to hum to herself as she rapidly reloads and fires her crossbow, blazing electric bolts raining down on the men on the boat. She glances over to her companion and winks. "This is fun. I don't have to leave any alive, right? That seems really untidy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Another full attack, still aiming for guards.

Attack 1: (1d20+14)[15]
    Damage 1: (1d8+3)[9] Piercing + (2d6)[7] + (1d6)[1] Electricity
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[16]
    Damage 2: (1d8+3)[6] Piercing + (2d6)[6] + (1d6)[5] Electricity
    Attack 3: (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage 3: (1d8+3)[7] Piercing + (2d6)[10] + (1d6)[5] Electricity

Lilliana
    Female Neutral Good Elf Artificer8//LA2/Wizard6, Level 8, Init +2, HP 40/40, Speed 30ft.
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19, Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus +6/+1
    +1 Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt, Mithral Buckler (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex, +3 Deflect, +1 Dodge)
    Condition None
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-10-17 at 02:24 PM.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Brin: Loria nods slowly, his head slightly cocked to one side.
    "Hmm. The name is familiar somehow... I believe I have met your uncle. A fine gentleman. Are you enjoying our fine capital? Personally, I think of Hadren's Court as a city more suited for a Brelani summer. It can get somewhat chaotic here in the winter. The canals freeze over, blocking most maritime trade. That's why the streets here are so big, you see. However, there are some upsides..." He drones on, his hands attempting in vain to emphasize his points. He talks mostly about the city, his yacht, and tales of the western rebellion, four years ago. As you listen, you can see Jin Seur out of the corner of your eye, and before he turns away, you glimpse the ghost of a smirk on his elven features.

Lilliana: Your first two arrows do very little, but the third kills its target instantly. It seems that these men are not lasting very long, as the first boat is already clear of men. Raisa says nothing. Lips pursed and eyes locked forward, she readies herself for her next shot. There are more pressing matters to concern you right now, however. At the other end of the canal, the massive extraplanar is finally moving. Extending blurred limbs, it grabs two men from off the last boat, and flings them against the stone embankment. The sound of a tranquil tide is accompanied by the crunching of bones. Slowly, the water surrounding the last craft begins to darken. All is going well, until you see a pale face observing the scene from street level. A gnome, his features frozen in shock, has apparently seen the action. Before you can react, he turns tail and flees into a dark alley, and promptly disappears.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-10-17 at 10:32 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Windborne, after failing to reach the second boat, persistenly darted towards it yet again. He sees the two guards--the one bloodied by Myrfell, and the other one still too surprised by the ambush to properly make an action. He decides then, to take advantage of the surprised guard and tries to possess him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Malevolence (Su) DC 27 Will Save (15+7(cha)+2(focus)+3(class feature))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a free action, mentally speak to his team who are 100ft. from him (which I assume are everyone).

After he possessed the body, he told his companions:
    Windborne here, controlling unharmed guard beside Myrfell.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-10-18 at 06:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne: After a split second of resistance, the guard's mind capitulates to your will. You find yourself in his skin, sliding down through him, as you have so many times before. You can still feel his mind at the back of your own, a faint cacophony. It's just a buzz, however. After several seconds, his body is entirely yours.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Myrfell: From the corner of your eye, you can see Jace approach the edge of the water once again. His face completely impassive, he holds out his hands. A moment passes, the expanse of the street covered in shade as the sun hides behind wisps of cloud. The silence is deafening.
    "Boom."
    From the tips of his outstretched fingers streams sparks, accompanied by snaps and the red-black stench of scorched flesh. A trunk of frozen lightning reaches all the way to the deck of the first boat, tearing through the chest of the final guard.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-10-20 at 01:17 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

"Nasty, huh?" Myrfell uses the advantage gained on the bloodied enemy to finish him off, his Greatsword slashing back and forth in a flash.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1 (1d20+13)[27], Damage (4d6+5)[12] +2 to Humans.

Attack 2 (1d20+8)[24], Damage (4d6+5)[18] +2.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Myrfell: The man falls down at your feet, bloody, motionless, and quite, quite dead. Even as the other man is preparing to move, an arrow flies from the rooftop, piercing his eye and killing him instantly. The moment of euphoria passes quickly, however, as you realize that the other guards have drawn their shortswords and are now attacking you in retaliation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's roll for our little buddies, shall we?
    Attack 1: (1d20+5)[16], Damage (1d6+2)[5]
    Attack 2: (1d20+5)[13], Damage (1d6+2)[3]

Lilliana: Raisa, after unleashing her volley, finally looks at you, her face full of steel. There is an awkward pause, before she clears her throat.
    "That's how its supposed to be done. No pain, instant release. We should remember why we're here, and it isn't to inflict needless suffering, or take any pleasure in it."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-10-21 at 09:25 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana looks down for a moment, contemplative, before looking back up and continuing her volley of crossbow bolts. "I suppose you're right, Raisa. Were I in the position of those men, I wouldn't want my attackers to be pleased or proud of my death. Forgive me for my over-excitement."

Spoiler
    Show
    Another full attack, still aiming for guards.

Attack 1: (1d20+14)[24]
    Damage 1: (1d8+3)[4] Piercing + (2d6)[2] + (1d6)[2] Electricity
    Attack 2: (1d20+14)[33]
    Damage 2: (1d8+3)[8] Piercing + (2d6)[5] + (1d6)[5] Electricity
    Attack 3: (1d20+9)[19]
    Damage 3: (1d8+3)[9] Piercing + (2d6)[5] + (1d6)[3] Electricity
    Lilliana
    Condition None

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Seeing his comrade getting hit by the two rushing guards, Windborne tries to help the former by breaking down the will of one of the assailants. Afterwards he starts focusing his mind--small traces of arcane charges started encircling his forehead. With that, he grins and tries to mentally thrust the other assailant up above.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move action: intimidate Guard1: (1d20+28)[31]
    Standard action: Telekinesis CL12 DC25 (+5(sp. lvl)+7(cha)+3(class)) supernatural mental ability:
    Using Violent Thrust to hurl Guard2 100ft. up in the air above the fourth boat, directly above one of the guards. (SR & Will negates)
    "Attack roll" targeting that spot in the air : (1d20+19)[34] -6 since I suck at math apparently.

EDIT: Forgot rolling falling damage and possible damage to the guard in the 4th boat...Maybe GM could roll for Mr. Gravity (since he's the one causing the damages.)
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-10-21 at 01:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne: The first guard stops in his tracks, staring at what was once his comrade in arms, now bearing a hideous rictus, complete with now pale skin and bloodshot eyes. After laughing at his evident dread, you toss his compatriot easily five storeys into the air with but a snap of your new, corporeal fingers. Half a minute passes, the air full of soundless terror. The chains are finally broken with the thud of the last guard's body hitting the side of the boat and the soft splash of his body absorbed by the rough, rude waters of the canal. From where you stand, you can see Lilliana's arrows hit their marks, one boat over. It appears all of the guards have been dispatched. The sailors, upon being left alone, surrender unanimously. What are you going to do?
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2011-10-23 at 09:04 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

After the entire commotion was over, Windborne called out to the entire team:
    Myrfell, Jace, Kelf (and Lilli and Raisa, if they're within range): What are our plans with these sailors? Apparently they have given up. Should we take some for interrogation, or kill everyone off?
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-10-23 at 06:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Myrfell looks around himself, estimating that the guards have been dispatched fairly easily in any boat.

Without hesitation, he proceeds to lock with an iron grip the arm of the near sailor. "Dock the boat over there, and yell at your buddies to do the same. Now." he says in a commanding tone while raising Fatewhistler - its edge hisses dangerously close to the sailor's ear as it is pointed towards the Veil Chariot.

His gaze lingers on the man for a second, before releasing the grip and tapping his worn hat. Moments later, Myrfell has assumed the guise of one of the mercenaries.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise Self via the Hat of Disguise to look like one of the guards. Makes sense we have ben possessing one already.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana: Moments after the last guard was dispatched, Raisa begins to move. Packing up her bow on her back, she gestures at you to do the same.
    "That civilian'll have gone to fetch the guard. We need to get moving. I'll explain the plan to you when we get to the Chariot." After waiting for a couple of seconds, she rushes to the ladder and begins to descend.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Lilliana nods and follows without a word, glancing down to make sure that her faithful companion Birk is still ready and waiting for her. She shimmies down the rope as quickly as she can, trying to get out of sight and away from any potential casters or archers. When she reaches the ground she hops off the rope, pats her homunculus on the head, and hurries to follow Raisa.

LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Windborne: It seems that Myrfell's 'instructions' have worked, for the time being. The sailors are paddling, albeit tentatively, towards the left bank, where Kelf and the Veil Chariot stand waiting. The dwarf stands smiling, polishing his axes, not looking up at anyone. Jace moves suddenly, waving his hand. With a smooth roar, the elemental collapses. You can also see Raisa, Lilliana, and Birk as they appear, emerging from the adjacent alley. The archer moves towards the edge of the water before addressing the sailors.
    "Alright, here's how this is going to work. I assume that at least one of you has a ledger or accounting book, outlining the goods in their boat. If you give all of them to us, and walk away, no harm will come to you. We're not here to hurt anyone that does not get in our way." After a moment of silent defiance, the five seamen finally give in. One hands you a wooden slab, to which is attached a sheet of parchment, before calmly hopping out of the craft and into the canal. Some of the sailors begin to swim away, while some arduously make their way to land.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.