New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XX

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Horses can wear Livery too.

Correlation is weaker when it's ponies, but it's still there.
    I'm confused. How do you get from livestock to livery? Horses are most definitely not livestock in Equestria, this is kind of the point.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Coming late to the conversation (as always), but a new suggestion for the Derpy/Ditzy argument - Derpzy!

... Wow. That 'word' hurts to look at...

Anyway, couple of things I've been thinking about (which have probably been discussed here before);

What's the pony equivalent to the term 'handwriting'?

Hoofwriting would be the obvious choice, if, y'know, they wrote with their hooves, but they write with their mouths, or, in the case of unicorns, by telekinesis, and 'mouthwriting' or 'lipwriting' feel rather 'off'.

I considered 'penmanship' as an alternative, but ponified that becomes 'penponyship', which not only looks awkward but, thanks largely to this thread, makes me think of Twilight Sparkle starting a relationship with her quill.

Secondly, I need a suitable name for a small coastal Equestrian village (or hamlet, it has a population of 12*), and possibly suggestions for mythical sea beasts that could cause trouble for occupants of said village.

*By the way, thinking of creating a whole village of background OCs? Take my advice, and for the love of Celestia, Luna and any other benevolent gods/goddesses and godlike entities you may happen to believe in/know intimately, don't. Or at least, not if you value any remaining shreds of sanity you may still have. *Seft turns into a frog, which turns into a pony.* "Eeheeheehee!" *squelches*

Formerly Seft Sirag, now an an unusual desert.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Stuff
    Unrelated, who is the person on your avatar? Or is it the Mystic Blade mentioned in your sig? I'm just asking because it looks kind of Ponified-Kerriganish but not enough for it to be her.

Quote Originally Posted by Seft Sirag View Post
    Secondly, I need a suitable name for a small coastal Equestrian village (or hamlet, it has a population of 12*), and possibly suggestions for mythical sea beasts that could cause trouble for occupants of said village.
    On the topic of sea beasts, there is the obvious sea serpent species from the pilot.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-08-11 at 02:14 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Soft Serve, I did not mean to offend or make anyone upset. That the thread is ment to be a temperary hub until trixe comes back is known by everyone. Those comments where just some light hearted ribbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Trixie, Hero of Equestria

Did the fan shop sell two thing?
    yay!
    Okay, back to sleep.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-08-11 at 02:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Told you I suck at languages...!

Okay, then! Word logic would be

Adjutant* of ==> (the system of {tactical operations})

*female version, if gendered.

(As in, the AI wot helps the general move stuff to kill other stuff.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Адьютантка системы тактических операций (ASTO)? What does it even mean?.. It means there's a bunch of tactical operations (which in itself sounds strange) that somehow form a coherent system, which "has" and adjutant(ess). When I hear that, I imagine a bunch of abstract entities (tactical operations) connected in a grid (system), suspended mid-air and giving orders to a young (real and alive) woman in uniform (the adjutant).

To keep this (somewhat) pony-related: you know what we should totally ponify?Toki pona.. It's a language you can learn in a day (or a week, depending on your definition of "learn"). And it's already rather pony.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    On the topic of sea beasts, there is the obvious sea serpent species from the pilot.
    They all came there because they heard it was such a fabulous hangout spot, with nice warm currents and such a picturesque little fisherpony hamlet, and now they are scaring away all the fish, being navigation hazards and generally ruining everypony's day?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    They all came there because they heard it was such a fabulous hangout spot, with nice warm currents and such a picturesque little fisherpony hamlet, and now they are scaring away all the fish, being navigation hazards and generally ruining everypony's day?
    Exactly.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

9. - Top - End - #189

Well that, and that the seaponys made such adorable sounds they just had to see what they tasted like.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    They were.

Yes, Trixie took over the job of thread Creator from Jahkaivah. He had created a mere two threads in that time. He probably didn't care about the thread at that point. Trixie created seventeen, and has repeatedly requested for people to wait a bit for her to create a new thread. She did care about the thread, and while I can see why a new thread was made, the jokes about taking Trixie down and how it's better that Brazen made the thread are just mean-spirited in light of that and unfunny.
    Oh, c'mon, it wasn't that one-sided. I immediately called Brazen a despotic tyrant. I mean, sure, I was hailing her as my lord and god a few minutes later, but, through the magic of inflectionless text, you could read that as sarcasm, or possibly facetiousness. Sardonicism? Anyway, sorry if Trixie's really mad about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    yay!
    Okay, back to sleep.
    I really loved it, by the way.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Unrelated, who is the person on your avatar? Or is it the Mystic Blade mentioned in your sig? I'm just asking because it looks kind of Ponified-Kerriganish but not enough for it to be her.
    It's the pony version of me turned into the Queen of the Zerg. Her name was Mystic Muse, but since she's now the Queen of blades, Mystic Blade fits better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Soft Serve, I did not mean to offend or make anyone upset. That the thread is ment to be a temperary hub until trixe comes back is known by everyone. Those comments where just some light hearted ribbing.
    I guess I knew that, it just came off as remarkably insensitive.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-08-11 at 02:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US

The promised first completed draft of Semper Fidelis.

Aside from the normal concerns (is it good or does it suck, typos, is the ending satisfying), I have a few questions.

1) To reiterate the question from the other night, what Equestria Daily fanfic tags apply? Did I manage to cross the grimdark divide?
    2) Should I divide this into smaller chapters for the sanity of the readers?
    3) If so, where are logical places to divide it? Assume somewhere between 2 and 5, 5 being the absolute maximum.
    Ooh, it's finally finished! I'll read through it as soon as I have some time.

13. - Top - End - #193

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Wait, what? Immunities?
    I need to hit the bulbapedia, hard.
    It's thanks to the new abilities. Flareon has Flash Fire, which grants immunity to fire and powers up fire-types attacks when hit. Vaporeon has Water Absorb, which heals HP when hit with water attacks. Jolteon has Volt Absorb, which does the same with electric. I believe Leafeon now has Sap Sipper, which does the same with grass.

Actually, checking Serebii, it looks like I was wrong about Leafeon. The first three were correct as of Sapphire/Ruby, though.

Also, this was brought up in another thread. The ponys reacted better to a griffen ( a undisputed meat eater) and buffalo ( larger and with a wicked set of horns) than to a presumably forign pony that turned out to be a zebra. Now, what could make a group of ponys be so xenophopic to a presumed pony but still be perfectly fine with a griffen walking the streets?
    Something along the lines of uncanny valley. An "alien" or something bizarrely foreign is unusual, while something very similar to yourself yet still "alien" is unusual and disconcerting. Running across a talking cat would be quite shocking, but it's just a talking cat. Running across a waxy, blue-skinned 'human' with three eyes and four fingers would probably send most people screaming.

Basically, the ponies freaked out precisely because Zecora was so similar to them.

Well also, Tiara and Spoon ARE children. As a future teacher, I have to believe that every child can be reached if only someone is willing to make the effort.
    I've kind of taken Tiara to be spoiled and feel entitled, and Spoon is mostly a hanger-on who doesn't want to be left out.

Its a diner for griffen tourists, silly!
    A store for griffon tourists and unicorn runecasters: Glyphs and Gryphs!

What's the pony equivalent to the term 'handwriting'?

I considered 'penmanship' as an alternative, but ponified that becomes 'penponyship', which not only looks awkward but, thanks largely to this thread, makes me think of Twilight Sparkle starting a relationship with her quill.
    'Script' works as a general term, as does 'writing'.

'Quillwork' should work.

Sea Serpents and Kraken make good coastal monsters. I'm not that good with names, though.
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

That's actually my take on the pair too. I mean, look at Silver Spoon, with those dorky glasses. I just get the feeling she's actively trying to be cool and get Tiara's approval... but would love to just whip out the accordion and join in with Twist, as it were.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Newponyport? As for monsters, what about literal sea lions?
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-11 at 02:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Secondly, I need a suitable name for a small coastal Equestrian village (or hamlet, it has a population of 12*), and possibly suggestions for mythical sea beasts that could cause trouble for occupants of said village

Hippocampi want the ships OUT, and the sea dragons (not sea serpents) are tolling ships for safe passage?

Something along the lines of uncanny valley. An "alien" or something bizarrely foreign is unusual, while something very similar to yourself yet still "alien" is unusual and disconcerting. Running across a talking cat would be quite shocking, but it's just a talking cat. Running across a waxy, blue-skinned 'human' with three eyes and four fingers would probably send most people screaming.

Basically, the ponies freaked out precisely because Zecora was so similar to them.
    Yeah, there was a minor debate on ponychan if the ponys where just xenophobic or where suffering from this, and I wanted your guys opinon.

A store for griffon tourists and unicorn runecasters: Glyphs and Gryphs!
    A shop featuring snacks for both griffens and ponys?
    Grips and Griffs!

Edit. If there are sea lions, I demand sea kittens as well!
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-08-11 at 03:00 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

I still say that what happened was that Pinkie met her, offered to throw her a party, and she politely declined, and Pinkie made wild assumptions about what sort of Pony would turn down a party.

Because if nopony had ever had contact with her, HOW DID THEY KNOW HER NAME?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-11 at 03:02 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, look at Silver Spoon, with those dorky glasses.
    HEY! Glasses are cool! I have proof:

Spoiler
    Show

See? It's in a picture, so it must be true!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Exactly.
    Well that, and that the seaponys made such adorable sounds they just had to see what they tasted like.
    Bwahah! I love this thread.

Although, I'd seen him more as a river-dweller. I guess he has salt-water cousins.

@DBC re Semper Fidelis

(At the risk of coming across as mildly condescending)

Congrats on a job well done. It's been fascinating watching this come together.

Doing my usual tiny-nitpicky-pedantic thing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Highfly becomes 'Highly' a copuple of times. (which someone else has no doubt already pointed out)

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    'Script' works as a general term, as does 'writing'.
    'Quillwork' should work.
    Thanks, I'd been having a bit of a mental block there.

Sea Serpents and Kraken make good coastal monsters.
    I'd considered using sea serpents, but owning to the 'release the kraken' meme (not even sure where that sprang from, I'm not one for following pop culture, on the whole), I'm kind of wary of using 'krakens.

I'm not that good with names, though.
    This is the annoying thing about writing FiMfic - names are usually something I'm good at, but having to adhere to the ponyverse naming conventions really throws me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Newponyport? As for monsters, what about literal sea lions?
    Ooh! I like both of those, thanks!

Formerly Seft Sirag, now an an unusual desert.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Spoiler
    Show

I wear glasses. I find most women's cuteness/attractiveness enhanced with the right set of glasses.

Silver Spoon's glasses are DORKY.

21. - Top - End - #201

GnomeWizardGuy

Edit. If there are sea lions, I demand sea kittens as well!
    Catfish and Seakittens and Sealions, oh my!
    Perhaps the sealions are causing trouble because the ponies are unaware of the trouble they are causing their freshwater catfish cousins?

I still say that what happened was that Pinkie met her, offered to throw her a party, and she politely declined, and Pinkie made wild assumptions about what sort of Pony would turn down a party.
    This is entirely possible. After all, we know Pinkie Pie can be resolutely evil entirely devoted to an idea when she puts her mind to it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

22. - Top - End - #202

This could be true (and it most likily is), but the townsfolk would be crazy to assume everything the local loony says about a newcomer to be true.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

This could be true (and it most likily is), but the townsfolk would be crazy to assume everything the local loony says about a newcomer to be true.
    Everypony in Ponyville is crazy. It's a fundamental law of the show.

24. - Top - End - #204

GnomeWizardGuy

I wear glasses. I find most women's cuteness/attractiveness enhanced with the right set of glasses.

Silver Spoon's glasses are DORKY.
    Aww, now look at what you did. You hurt her feelings!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

25. - Top - End - #205

Okay, so, I really want to get in on all the pony-based fanfiction. However, I really don't want to have to go sifting through the MASSIVE library of ponyfics for the good ones. Can someone point me to a good place to start with? Perhaps a required reading list to know what folks are talking about in this thread?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Spoiler
    Show

I wear square-lens half frame glasses, and I approve this message.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    even the fraggin' Space Marines, do not, to my knowledge, name their bolters.
    Are you kidding? Half the 40k universe revolves around giving things unnecessarily long and bombastic names!

Dorn's Arrow, par exemple.

Totally on topic.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, now look at what you did. You hurt her feelings!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry, Silver Spoon! I still like you! You just need to adjust your choice of eye wear, and then you'll be the belle of the ball!

29. - Top - End - #209

Everypony in Ponyville is crazy. It's a fundamental law of the show.
    Oi, only the mane cast is crazy ( it seems to be a side effect of chaneling vast amounts of magic). Its just that ponyville is a frontier type town, and that the ponys are gulible.

Edit.
    [Etceteras post
    All hail the god princess of ponykind!
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-08-11 at 03:18 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Okay, so, I really want to get in on all the pony-based fanfiction. However, I really don't want to have to go sifting through the MASSIVE library of ponyfics for the good ones. Can someone point me to a good place to start with? Perhaps a required reading list to know what folks are talking about in this thread?
    The first post, under "Nice Fanwork", has... uh...
    Wow, the tags there are pretty messed up.

Well, all the links in the second column are fanfics that posters in the thread have made. In the first column, after "ED Fics", are apparently some rather common ones; I haven't read any but the first Progress from that list myself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image