1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Unfledged [3.5 class]

Unfledged
    Sometimes, a group of adventurers includes a character who seems to have no business being on an adventure. Such characters from fiction include Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) and Garion (Pawn of Prophecy). Such characters often develop abilities they didnít know they had.

Warning: This class is not effective in combat. Or out of combat either. This is essential to the concept. Note that the Tagalong and Instant Metamorphosis class features make this less of a drag than it might otherwise be.

If having useful class abilities is important to you, play another class. If all party members having useful class features is important to the gaming group, play another class.

Hit Die: d4
    Alignment: Any.
    Starting Gold: 1d20 gp (10 gp).
    Starting Age: Simple, As Rogue.

Class Skills
    The unfledgedís class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: None. Unfledged have no class skills.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) ◊ 4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Unfledged
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | Dormant Talent, Metamorphosis, Illiteracy, Tagalong

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | Instant Metamorphosis

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    | Contingent Metamorphosis

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (1 spell level)

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (2 spell levels)

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |

11th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (3 spell levels)

12th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |

13th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (4 spell levels)

14th|
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |

15th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (5 spell levels)

16th|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |

17th|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (6 spell levels)

18th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |

19th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    | Impressive Metamorphosis (7 spell levels)

20th|
    +10
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    | [/table]

Class Features:
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An unfledged is proficient with either clubs or daggers (choose one), and with no armor or shields.

Dormant Talent:At 1st level, the unfledged gains a Dormant Talent, which can be accessed using the Metamorphosis class feature described below.
    The Dormant Talent is written up as a character, permissible for play by the rules in use, which is identical to the unfledged except for class, feats, skills, alignment, and abilities and restrictions derived from these. Class levels, feats and skills gained before taking a level in unfledged must also be unchanged.
    The Dormant Talent changes and gains levels as the unfledged does.

Metamorphosis:At 1st Level the unfledged gains the ability Metamorphosis. Upon gaining a level, an unfledged may cease being an unfledged, replacing her current abilities and alignment with their dormant abilities (see above).
    This is not reversible short of a wish. Whether a wish is sufficient is up to the dungeon master.

Illiteracy:Unfledged do not automatically know how to read and write. An unfledged may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages she is able to speak. An already literate character who gains a level in unfledged retains literacy. A barbarian who gains a level in unfledged does not therefore become literate.

Tagalong:The presence of a tagalong is ignored when determining appropriate opposition or dividing the base XP award by the number of characters in the party. The tagalong still receives experience for the encounter.

Instant Metamorphosis:At 2nd Level the unfledged gains the ability Instant Metamorphosis. This differs from Metamorphosis as follows: Instant Metamorphosis is a free action. Instant Metamorphosis has a 10% failure chance. If the Metamorphosis fails, the unfledged may try again next turn. Such objects as spellbooks do not immediately appear, even if starting with such an item is a class feature. If the new class has one or more abilities which require preparation (such as spellcasting), the former unfledged is treated as having taken up to one hour of preparation.

Impressive Metamorphosis (Su): At 7th Level the unfledged gains the ability Impressive Metamorphosis. One or more spell effects will go off on a successful use of Metamorphosis. The total spell levels in effect may not exceed the amount specified. (0th level spells count as Ĺ level each.) Only spells from the cleric, druid, and/or sorcerer lists will go off. No spell with an XP cost will go off. The spells must affect a target, targets, or area. If a spell affects a target or targets, the unfledged must be a selected target. If a spell affects an area, it is centered on the unfledged. The spell effects are selected by the player (not the character) within the above restrictions.

Contingent Metamorphosis:At 5th Level the unfledged gains the ability Contingent Metamorphosis. The unfledged may set Instant Metamorphosis to go off under certain conditions, as if it were a spell cast with the contingency spell. Changing or dropping the contingency is a free action.

Multi-Class Unfledgeds
    A character with one or more levels in unfledged may not take levels in any other class.

Ex-Unfledgeds
    A character who has used Metamorphosis is no longer an unfledged, but may multi-class into unfledged normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    I try to keep my homebrew catgirl-safe. (link)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unfledged [3.5 class]

I'm confused by the many metamorphosis abilities, since the change is not reversible it seems weird. I guess I just don't see the point of this class, it's like a commoner, but at some point he gets to transform into a useful character, though a commoner could use a crossbow.

I see what use this class could be for NPCs, but no player would ever play this class. I suppose that was the idea of the class, and if that was your point I guess you can call it a success.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I'm confused by the many metamorphosis abilities, since the change is not reversible it seems weird. I guess I just don't see the point of this class, it's like a commoner, but at some point he gets to transform into a useful character, though a commoner could use a crossbow.

I see what use this class could be for NPCs, but no player would ever play this class. I suppose that was the idea of the class, and if that was your point I guess you can call it a success.
    Starting out useless and getting a mid-adventure power upgrade occurs with some frequency in fiction, and cool enough to be worth playing through.
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... I remember seeing this somewhere else. They used Bilbo as an example, I think.

A-hah! I found it! Here it is.

They look remarkably similar...

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Uh... I remember seeing this somewhere else. They used Bilbo as an example, I think.

A-hah! I found it! Here it is.

They look remarkably similar...
    I have posted this class in a number of places. That is an earlier version. The reasons for the biggest changes can be found here, on the talk page for a different D&D wiki.
    Last edited by ideasmith; 2011-08-16 at 08:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    I have posted this class in a number of places. That is an earlier version. The reasons for the biggest changes can be found here, on the talk page for a different D&D wiki.
    I didn't realize that you created it. Shoulda looked at the author.. My bad. Well that'd be why it seemed familiar.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature