Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1041
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default New World IC, Group 1

    It was late afternoon on the 41st day of the voyage when the sharp-eyed halfling cried down from the crow's nest, "Land Ho!" The excitement was palpable as the coastline crept into view, finally filling the horizon to confirm that it wasn't just another island. Captain Hiram and the navigator busily sighted landmarks, checked charts, and poured through rutters before confirming that they'd hit Arcadia a few days sail north of Anchor's End.

    Fearing to sail the unplumbed depths of the Arcadian coast without the benefit of daylight, the Captain guided the ship to anchor in a sheltered cove for the night. A small shore party sent to restock the ship's dwindling fresh water returned with some fruit and a sizable boar, and the celebration as on.

    You're fairly certain that the crew drank up the ship's remaining supply of grog, and your headache speaks to your own share in that feat. You could still hear the party continuing below decks--more than a few of the men having cracked open their private stashes of rotgut--even as you retired for the night to your cramped cabin.

    Some time around midnight you are awakened by a knock at the door. "I'm rather embarrassed to ask this of passengersh," Captain Hiram slurs, having partaken himself, "but mosht o' the crew is passed out in their berthsh. Would you join me on the shecond watch?"
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-16 at 06:26 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Huh? I'm still a bit sleepy... but fine, I love the night sky.

    Tyr said as he tried to shake the sleep out. He quicky hot his gear together, made sure his guns were loaded in case of troubles, and gave one last look at his bed.

    This has been a very eventful trip so far: well, at least at the partying. No girl has yet to catch his eye, but trips' not over.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Jon

    "Be happy to, Captain."
    Anything to get out of this cabin. Don't know how pa did it so many years.

    He straps on his belt and weapons over his leathers, then ties his green sash over them as he heads out on deck. He crinkles his nose, Might need to see to a wash when we land. Least that won't be long now.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-13 at 08:08 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Lying awake in her hammock, Genevieve frowns at the ceiling. The pleasures of the rum have passed all too readily, and now she's stuck with the hangover.

    She's remembering Lyonelle, and the man she left behind there tonight. He wouldn't leave and she couldn't stay, and that was that. His name was Karse, and he was one of many, but he was kind and proud and good.

    Karse has been dead for five years. She still remembers him when she feels like being sad. It's a Galt thing, she tells her friends.

    And friends she's made on the voyage, though she's yet to get to really know them. All she has now are names. They're the only people really worth talking to on this boat, the sailors are too simple, and the captain's a fool.

    So when he comes knocking on the door asking for help, she rolls over in her hammock. "Do your damn job yourself."

    A few seconds staring at the wall, trying to rest, as her traitorous brain reminds her that drunken sailors do not good watchmen make, and it would be in her interest to keep a watch so she doesn't get killed in her sleep.

    "Dammit. All right. All right, I'll take a watch for you." She snarls at the captain, as she rises.

    Five foot short, thin and wiry, she changes without much concern for modesty and slides her well-maintained breastplate on under her tunic. Her guns are next, both multi-barreled and scarred with much action. One in the shape of a roaring cockatrice seems to be much better made than the other... The word "Freedom" is engraved upon its side.

    Finally, a rapier gets belted around her waist, and an eyepatch goes round a scarred and empty socket. She smoothes graying hair back, and stomps up to the deck, fully clothed, armored, and armed. She almost hopes that SOMETHING will require killing tonight.

    It would only improve her mood.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    "Of course captain. It will be nice to get some air." Mika replied with a smile. She stands from her hammock as her hair sways to the side with a light breeze. Mika, who retired earlier to escape the drinking, had some sleep and would not mind having some fresh air, even her breeze started to get the scent of alcohol.At least with the sailors drunk they should be asleep and not bothering me. And I can get away from their drunken smell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    As a note: Unless otherwise said. the cantrip Breeze will always be active on me.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Jon stretched in the cool night air. "It's good to be about. It's better to smell land. I love the coast. Missed the gulls and waves on the shore over all that open ocean. SO you all have any plans for this new land? I myself figure on just seeing what comes along."

    In the dark the leaf and vine tooling on his armor is nearly invisible, but the leaping stag on the antler grip of his revolver still stands out, as does the matching hilt of his dagger.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    You step out of your cramped cabin into the cool night. A heavy fog as settles over the ship during your rest, bringing with it preternaturally still air. The ship's many lanterns do little to penetrate the gloom, their light reflected back after a few paces. You can barely see the bow some 50 feet away, and that only as vague outlines. The rhythmic slap of waves against the hull and the distant crash of surf on a beach provides the only sensory evidence that you're even still on Golarion.

    "Aye, thank 'ee kindly fer takin' the watch with me. Just pick a shpot an keep an eye out." The Captian trundles off to hatch leading below decks, mumbling, "I'll shee about rousin' the cook an gettin' shomethin' warm to drink." Somehow you doubt you'll ever see that drink.

    Spoiler
    Show
    map tell me where you want to move your character, or move it yourself and add a link to the edited map. (I don't know why there isn't a coordinate system showing, it's always shown up when I used this site before. If you want to DIY coordinates, the horizontal is alphabetical and vertical is numerical starting from from 1 at top row)

    Perception checks from everyone

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    "I think I'll take the bow, if it's all the same." He nods to the others and strolls forward, hand absentmindedly caressing his saber hilt.

    Spoiler
    Show
    new map,
    perception (1d20+4)[6]
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-13 at 10:00 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Jon stretched in the cool night air. "It's good to be about. It's better to smell land. I love the coast. Missed the gulls and waves on the shore over all that open ocean. SO you all have any plans for this new land? I myself figure on just seeing what comes along."
    "Plans... Eh, I'll make it up as I go along." Genevieve heads up to the wheel. "Every time I try to plan, it turns to mud. So for now I'll see what opportunities arise to gain power, glory, and wealth."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check is (1d20+6)[25]. Moving up to the square just north of the ship's wheel.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    new map

    Need more text.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Plans? Well, I heard there was gold near the city. I got a map, as long as it wasn't phony. But really I'm just here for adventure.
    Tyr said as he walked near back of front to see where they've going.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Move me near the bow (the back).
    Perception - (1d20+5)[12]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what you mean. The stern is the back (square end), the bow is the front (pointy end).

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    "Oh, not too much. I have heard that there are some great opportunities here. So I decided to come here and see if they are true." As Mika stays closer to Jon because of the conversing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check (1d20+3)[12]
    1 square down and 2 squares back from Jon's square

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Jon
    "Yeah, I'm more getting from than going to. Gold eh? Could be fun, but I wouldn't hold my breath."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Spoiler
    Show

    Fine then the front.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    updated map
    Spoiler
    Show


    Lets try this a different way. I marked you by character initial and text color. ZeltArruin has 12 hours to post or I'll NPC his check (harsh, but my experience is that pbp games die if they don't keep moving).

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ZeltArruin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    ((Sorry, missed the IC link in the OOC thread.))

    Huril took longer than the others, dragging his feet as he got dressed and strapped on his scimitar. He wasn't opposed to the idea of going on watch, but he was still rather drunk. "Oh well, got th' others to pick up my slack," he muttered as he made it to the deck, his legs surprisingly stable, despite the booze and rocking of the ship, must be all that time at sea. He saw that the others had already spread out a bit, some of them talking others doing their own thing. He made his way to the side of the boat and leaned on the rail, looking out at the thick fog bank with passing interest.

    Going to G7.

    Edit: Perception roll here.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2011-08-14 at 04:59 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Perhaps distracted by the conversation, Mika, Jon, and Tyr fail to notice anything amiss from their perch near the bow.

    Huril and Genevieve, though farther away from the danger, are just beginning to distinguish the tell-tail pattern of oar strokes from the lapping of the waves when the first of the three skraeling canoes emerges from the mist. While not surprised by the threat, their distance slows their reactions just enough to let the enemy act first

    Hoping for a lucky shot through the obscuring haze, or maybe just aiming to force the watchmen to cover so they can scramble aboard unmolested, a half dozen of the skraelings pepper the trio near the bow with their short-bows. Most of the stone-headed shafts bury themselves in the ship's teak planks or splash into the sea, but one grazes Jon Rust, digging a painful furrow through the flesh of his left forearm.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jon Rust: 1 hp damage

    I'm doing block initiative (all enemies share one initiative, PCs will be separated into before and after enemy groups, though that ceases to matter after the first normal round)

    surprise round: Genevieve, Huril (skraelings won it and already attacked)

    Before enemy:
    Tyr: 25
    Mika: 22

    Enemy:
    Skraelings: 20

    After enemy:
    Jon Rust: 19
    Genevieve: 15
    Huril: 15

    24 hours for Genevieve and Huril to post their surprise round actions, and for Tyr and Mika to post their first round actions.



    special notes: ranged attacks over 20 ft = concealment (20% miss). over 40 ft = total concealment (50% miss).
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-14 at 08:18 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ZeltArruin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    "Looks like our luck is takin' a turn. We got primitives off the bow!" Huril said, the first line to himself, the second loud enough for everyone on deck to hear. He drew his scimitar and shook his limbs, stretching out and getting ready to slice the first person that took a step onto the deck. Course, this was just how he liked it, drinking and fighting into the wee hours of the morning. Plus, this mist would help him out too, he never much cared for bows and arrows, especially being on the receiving end.

    Move to J6 and draw my scimitar.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    "WARE AND WAKE!" Bellows Genevieve, as she blurs into motion. "WE HAVE ATTACKERS!"

    She hurries down the steps and crouches next to the mast, drawing a pepperbox as she goes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to D4. Pepperbox has been drawn.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Huril and Genevieve draw their weapons even as they move into position to repel boarders.

    Genevieve's call to action seems to shake the others from their shocked stupor. Whether it does anything to to wake the sailors from their drunken stupor is another matter. You think you can hear some thrashing and crashing below deck, but it may just be an inebriated seaman falling from his hammock.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Liking this fast posting
    special notes: ranged attacks over 20 ft = concealment (20% miss). over 40 ft = total concealment (50% miss).

    Tyr and Mika next

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Mika lowers herself to the ground and moves back from the railing. As she moves away she reaches from her wand. Why are we being attacked?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mika moves to I-5 and lowers herself down trying to get some cover from the ship's mast(or whatever the circle is on the ship). And Mika draws her wand of CLW.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Spoiler
    Show
    yes, the circle thing is a mast. The square is the cargo hatch, you can walk over it normally

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    I love the smell of battle in morning, and this isn't morning.

    Tyr moves 5 ft to L-4 (if movable) draws his revolver and fires a round at S-1

    Spoiler
    Show

    Wow, 20% miss.
    8 squares is 40 ft (since you can attack diagonal), but -2 hit since beyond 1st range increment.
    I'll not use grit so resolves vs normal AC.
    attack - (1d20+6)[20]
    MissChance - (1d100)[35]
    damage - (1d8)[3]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Mika falls prone on a deck worn smooth by untold hours of swabbing, ready to heal her fellow passengers with her wand should the need arise.

    Tyr takes a step towards his target, his trusty revolver appearing in his hand as if by magic. The gun roars and and a bloody hole blossoms in a skraeling archer's shoulder, though the stoic warrior refuses to cry out in pain or drop his bow.

    That shot comes at a price, as the four archers on the nearest canoes focus their shots on the gunslinger. Three shafts miss the mark, but the fourth embeds itself in Tyr's thigh.

    The two archers on the southern-most canoe loose their arrows at Huril, but their stone points shatter against the ship's hull.

    All three canoes close on the ship, revealing the primitive but effective ropes and wooden grappling hooks within easy reach of each skraeling pirate. The two northern canoes show no signs of stopping until they're close enough to board, but the rowers of the southern canoe drop their oars and reach for their bows, apparently content to pick you off at range.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Tyr: 3 hp damage

    -yeah, concealment at 20 ft is extreme, but the RAW for fog is concealment at 5 ft, at least according to the PFSRD. I thought it was ridiculous for non-magical fog, so I toned it down.


    concealment (20% miss) at 20 feet, full concealment (50% miss) at 40 feet

    A= archer, in case you want to target them. The others are only rowing for the moment.

    next up: Round 1 actions for after enemies group, round 2 for before enemies group.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-15 at 01:41 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    stack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Jon

    "They don't appear too interested in talking. Not how I wanted to great the locals. Lets slow them down a bit."
    he says as his revolver flashes into hand from a speedy cross-draw. He takes quick aim at the rower, the flash of his muzzle momentarily illuminating the night.

    Spoiler
    Show
    attacking O-2, using 1 grit for focused aim (+Cha to damage)
    (1d20+7)[18] vs touch AC (do rowers get a dodge bonus? THey can't really go anywhere.
    damage (1d8+4)[10]
    confirm crit if needed (1d20+7)[17]
    crit damage if needed (4d8)[20]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ZeltArruin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    The sound of gun shots was ringing in his ears as Huril watched the skraelings paddle forward. He was tempted for a moment to leap to the nearest boat and begin cutting, but the urge passed. He spun his sword around in his hand as he moved forward to the bow of the boat, hoping to take shots for the others, as he had little else to do until it came to blows. Dropping into a defensive stance, he kept his eyes flicking between each boat, ready to deflect or dodge away from their shots.

    Move to M5 and total defense.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    After the initial shock of the arrows, Mika stands back up. She keeps her eyes open for on coming arrows but also keeps an eye on the approaching ships.

    Spoiler
    Show
    stand up and total defense

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    Genevieve crouches low, and moves up the railing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to H3, total defense if possible
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New World Group 1

    They are still coming, light them up, guys!

    Tyr said as he fired on the archer (M-2) he shot before.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Okay Rapid shot, shooting M-2 unless a 1st shot kills then M-3 is attacked.
    Activate Focus Aim for Cha to damage (1 Grit).
    1st attack - (1d20+7)[26]
    2nd attack - (1d20+7)[17]
    1st attack - (1d8+4)[6]
    2d attack - (1d8+4)[6]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •