New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Digimon Descent, Chapter 1: Triple Dot, Triple Dash, Triple Dot

OoC THREAD

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEE-

*SMACK*

Tomas groans as he swats the alarm clock off his nightstand, but eventually he musters the willpower to leave his bed. It'd been a late night, much later than he had planned, and the booze hadn't helped. He isn't looking forward to work in an hour.

Something isn't right, though. Normally, at around this time of the morning, the sunlight streams straight through his window. It isn't now. A nagging suspicion enters his head, and he checks his cell phone. 10:51 A.M.

Crap.

The power must have blinked off last night; it's been doing that fairly often recently. Or maybe, in his drunken wisdom, he'd decided to give his job the middle finger, and set his alarm back. It doesn't much matter, though. Whatever happened, he'll be two hours late for his shift at the diner; considering he's already on thin ice with his boss, this does not bode well for his future.

"Crapcrapcrap..."

Tomas dresses himself in record time, and dashes from his apartment to the nearest subway entrance. While purchasing a ticket from the terminal, he encounters a strange, featureless screen.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: DESTINY. CONTINUE? Y/N

"Yeah, whatever," Tomas says, pressing through, clearly too rushed to care.

WELCOME, TOMAS DEGRAFF. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

If any bystanders had been paying attention at precisely 11AM, it would've looked as if some poor sap was sucked into the terminal. They weren't, though.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-04-15 at 10:07 AM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Digimon Descent, Chapter 1: Triple Dot, Triple Dash, Triple Dot

Sophia lay in bed, staring at the poster on her ceiling. The blinds were drawn, and she had several different comforters wrapped around her, as well as a cup of herbal tea on the nightstand beside her bed. She was staying home from school, and her mother had insisted on wrapping her in tighter than one of the dessert crepes they served downstairs. Sophia wasn't actually sick, she was only pretending. Even if she had been sick, she was old enough by now to go to school anyways and tough it out. The reason she was staying home sick was if she was there, her parents wouldn't fight. They had a big fight the previous night, and Sophia didn't trust to leave them alone.

And she was booooooooooooooooooooooooooored.

She had been studying the poster over her bed for hours now, ever since she had been marched back up to bed after breakfast and told to get some sleep. The two jousting knights on it had not gone anywhere, and she let her mind wander off to other things. Schoolwork, her friends, Mark in her gym class, the usual stuff. The steam from the tea condensed in the air, a misty fog wafting off the liquid before drifting down to coat the mug.

A knock at the door jarred her to reality again.

"Sophie, honey? It's mom. Look, your dad and I are getting really busy downstairs, so will you be okay on your own for a few hours?"

Sophia grunted her approval, trying to act half-asleep.

"Okay honey, we love you."

Her voice seemed to crack, as if she were aware of the trickery her daughter was using, and knew she would do the same if their roles were reversed.

The moment she could no longer hear her mother's footsteps, she crept out of bed, shifting the sheets to the side, and changed out of her pajamas and into her clothing for the day, a black skirt and top with lace, a pink sweater, and grey leggings. She tied up her shoes and put her hat on (she kept them near her bed so they wouldn't go missing downstairs) and snuck to her desk after putting some spare pillows under the comforters to make it look like she was still there.

She wasn't going to spend all day in bed, her parents just needed to think she was still there. She had seen a notebook with a beautiful pewter dragon cover at the mall, and was going to get it. She opened up the laptop on her desk and logged into the internet, looking up the bus timetables. As she entered her destination into the search function and clicked the 'send' button, a pop-up appeared, and she hit quickly hit the 'X' on that window to close it. Then two poped up, and were closed. Then the whole screen started to fill with little black screens, all reading "Hey! How rude!", and then the screen went black, and a flashing cursor appeared.

Sophia sat terrified that her laptop had caught a virus after she downloaded that movie when the cursor started to move, typing out a message:

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: CHARITY. CONTINUE? Y/N

Sophia hit the N button, and the laptop made a loud screeching error noise

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: CHARITY. CONTINUE? Y/N

Sophia tried hitting the Y button, and the screen cleared. She sighed with relief and went to reboot her laptop and figure out the problem when the cursor reappeared and started typing again:

WELCOME, SOPHIA DELACROIX. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

And the screen filled with 1s and 0s, cascading and then swirling in a whirl of numerals, pulling her into the screen.

Moments later, the laptop shut itself off and slowly closed, the desk clock next to it reading 11:01

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Tomas our Digimon Emperor? That would be cool!
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2012-04-07 at 11:22 AM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Barrett, despite having a terrible headache and an aching body, still woke up at his regular time of 8:00ish. It had been a long shift at the bar last night and Barrett was feeling every drunk’s punch and screaming floozy’s kick, but even then he still couldn't bring himself to sleep any later.

Arising from the wall bed in his 15x15 apartment, Barrett shakes off the haze and soreness and quickly gets into his morning routine: breakfast of whatever is in his fridge (normally leftovers from the bar), hits the gym across street, shower there since it is common for the water in his apartment to be on the fritz, and get dressed for the day. Lacing up his boots, he looks up at his Ranger wall clock, seeing that it’s 9:49am and he only has 41 mins to make it to the Garden for the finals of the Ranger tryouts.

“**** **** ****!” He quickly scrambles for his bag of gear and his skates. Gathering his stuff together, he hops on the Metro-North line to Grand Central Terminal then hops on the 42nd Street Shuttle to Times Sq-42 St. Looking down at his watch; he see it 10:16. “GOD DAMMIT. This is my only chance to make the team.” Transferring over to the Penn Station bus Barrett is literally shaking with rage. Luckily the Penn Station bus driver was on ball and got Barrett to the Garden at 10:28. Running with his gear he makes it to the door, shows his voucher, and goes into the health checks.

Sitting down on the observation table Barrett sigh to himself “Oh God. I’m glad I made it.” The doctor walks over and looks over Barrett’s charts. “Well Mr. Baron everything seems to be in order…except one thing: that steel plate in your arm makes you ineligible for the team. Thank you for your time.” “Excuse me doc, could run that pass me again?” “You have a steel plate in your arm. That is both a great advantage for you and too much of a liability for us. You cannot play professional hockey.” “But, you guys never mentioned this before. I’ve been in your system for over 3 months and just now you tell me that my plate makes me ineligible? I want to talk to Dr. Murphy. ” “Dr. Murphy is no longer with team. His practices were archaic and detrimental to the health of the players. I am Dr. Babcock, the new team physician and under my jurisdiction you are not eligible. I’m surprised that quack even let you this far through the process. Goodbye Mr. Baron.” The doctor leaves the room, leaving Barrett all alone, in a hospital gown, on a cold ass metal table, heartbroken.

Barrett head into dressing room to change, fuming with anger. "SON OF A BITCH! What the **** am I suppose to do now? I've worked a dead end job and lived in a ****-hole apartment, all for nothing. Huh. Sometimes I wonder if should finished school and done something productive with my life. Ppphhfff..." All of sudden Barrett's phone rings and he pulls it out.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: EMPATHY. CONTINUE? Y/N

”What the **** is this? Some kind of chain mail? I hate these.” He subconsciously clicks his phones closed while at same time pressing Y. A second later his phone rings again. Looking at it. Barrett sees:

WELCOME, BARRETT BARON. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

“Great. Now I’m signed up for some kind weird txt club. ARRGGHHH.” He throws his phone but by time it hits the wall, he’s already been digitized and pixilized into it.

The clock in the changing room reads 11:02.
    Last edited by Bessebiscut; 2012-04-08 at 12:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Alex Swift

He'd been walking around since 8.30am and he was beginning to feel tired, his legs felt as though they were really full of water dragging him down. He found a bench and settled himself down, gathering his thoughts. This city is so big, and not at all what I'd expected, not from TV he conceded ruefully. He'd made his way to all the major sites over the last few days, and today was his last day of sight seeing. He'd hoped to find something amazing, truly majestic, but nothing had quite captured his imagination.

He looked down at his phone: 10.45am. He ought to head back, Tom would be meeting him for lunch and he'd need to get cleaned up and grab some other things for the afternoon. He stood up and started to walk back, his steps unconsciously taking him past a large electronics store. He wasn't sure what it was that had brought him that way, but he had an inkling that it was that little knot of anxiety about tomorrow that had nudged him here.

He looked up at all the flashing screens and the bright eyed shop assistants and consumers. He didn't really feel like he should be here, but Tom had told him he'd need to get a job if he was gonna live with him, and the work experience at the museum didn't pay, so this was it, or rather, the near identical shop two blocks down was it, to be exact.

He entered, looking around doe-eyed, and was almost immediately approached by shop assistant Anthony, his eyes bright, probably drawn by the scent of an easy commission. Alex was steered over to a set of brand new Ipad's, that he was told would radically change his life, making it more dynamic and exciting, which somehow linked to him getting a better job and the girl he'd always dreamed of. He paid little attention to this, his mind rejecting that this was what he'd be doing tomorrow.

He'd always thought... something, he didn't know what exactly, but not this, not something so... mundane...

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: HOPE. CONTINUE? Y/N

The laptop in front of him suddenly flicked to a new screen. Alex stared at it. The shop assistant was still chattering at him, seemingly unaware that anything had changed. Digisign? Alex wondered.

He went ahead and pressed the 'Y' key, suddenly intrigued by this odd message.

WELCOME, ALEX SWIFT. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

Alex only had time to stare at the screen in confusion, half a thought forming in his head, How did it know my na... before a light sprung from the screen and a prickling sensation washed through every fibre of Alex's being, and reality dissolved.

The shop assistant's voice cut off abruptly, as he found his customer had seemingly vanished into the computer screen. He just stared blankly, uncomprehending, whilst his phone bleeped vainly at his waist, the time reading 11.03am.
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-04-09 at 06:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

On this bright Friday morning a group of young tourists grouped together just inside a recently opened shopping store. Truth be told, they weren't that hard to find amongst the waves of early shoppers. You just had to look for a nigh-vibrating cluster of sweaters, and if that proved to hard you could just had to follow the steady stream of bilingual swearing to them.

The frase "Maldita sea el invierno, y maldito sea el idiota que se le occurrio hacer el vieje en noviembre!!", echoed throughout the small group of twenty students in one form or another.

In truth, they had thus far enjoyed their trip. They had visited they had already visited such sights ans the Statue of Liberty, and in fact were to visit the Local Zoo later that day. Though they may have made some light mischief at their hotel, it could all have been said to have been a great trip...had it not been for the weather. While Eddie and his compatriots had been aware that they'd be arriving in Fall, and that New York was quite up North; no one had quite prepared them for the bone chilling hell that awaited them. The frequent rain did not help at all. Though he did try to play it down about whenever he spoke with his mother.

Needless to say, these poor Caribbean islanders could do hardly more than grin and bare the cold; though many had already considered just staying at the hotel for the remainder of the trip. Even Eddie, who's typically vibrant behavior could serve to uplift the heavy mood, was suffering greatly. The moment he had walked out of the airplane and saw his breath for the first time was exhilarating, but quickly turned to panic as he and his fellows desperately searched for some haven from the cold. "How does anyone live in this freezer?" he asked no one in particular, thinking out-loud.

"Quizas son todos de sangre fria?" replied on the younger students huddled near the center of the lake of sweaters.

"Would explain Wall Street..." muttered another in a feeble attempt at humor. No one laughed; they were too cold for that.

"Con permiso!" called out their teacher, to which the mob of sweaters turned to face him and the other chaperons. "Tienen media hora para comprar lo que necesiten. A las 11:15 nos vemos aqui sin falta. Entienden?" he explained and watched as the mob nodded is silent response "Y todo el mundo con su companero a todo tiempo!" he added sternly before signaling that they could leave. At which point the mob immediately broke apart and scattered.

Eddie and his trio of friends wasted no time enacting their plan. Two of them would would rush for the grocery while the other two camped at cashiers to ensure that they'd get through quickly. It was a tough struggle, and though there were many casualties, Eddie as his friend Julian managed to make it back to the cashier's register with the goods. Their plan had been fool proof... or it would have been if they hadn't found themselves lacking funds at a register with no working card reader.

After an intense battle of Rock-Paper-Scissors, Eddie "volunteered" to find the ATM before they reached the front of the line. Thankfully he managed to fine an unoccupied ATm. Sadly, it was under a ventilation shaft.

Eddie took a deep breath and sighed "Maldita sea. Those damn pretzels better be worth it,". With these final words spoken he dashed at the ATM fumbling with his wallet as the torrent of frigid air struck him. He didn't know who was responsible, but some day, some day he'd get his revenge on whoever designed this place.

After a few moments of wrestling with his wallet, it became clear that he'd never be able to extract his card with his gloves on. So he stripped them off, and shoved the card into the ATMs reader as quickly as he could. Unfortunately he had to repeat this several times before the blasted machine finally read the card.

Soon after writing his password he jerked his head to the side and scouted his friends positions. They were merely one space behind the front, and the rest of their classmates had begun swarming the other cashiers. It was now or never.

The moment the ATMs menu sprang to life he began pressing the buttons as quickly as he could.

"Yes, accept the fee. Withdrawals...Checking account...fast cash..40 bucks" he muttered absentmindedly. As the machine began to whirl and shake he looked over his shoulders once more, the man in front was being handed his change and his friends looked at him pleadingly. He signaled to them that he was almost done.

He shifted his weight from side to side while gripping the machine in his impatience. Damn thing seemed like it was taking an eternity to spit out the cash, and just as he heard the tell-tale sound of the money reaching the dispenser the machine went quiet a strange prompt appeared on screen.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: FRIENDSHIP. CONTINUE?

Yes

NO

"What the hell?" he said raising an eyebrow at the screen. He'd never seen an ATM display something like this before, let alone why it was mentioning friendship. For a moment he thought it might be bugged, but before he could give it much more thought his friends called out to him,"Oye Eduardo avanza!!!"

"Screw it," he muttered as he slammed the accept button. The mission began to whirl again and release his money; which he immediately pocketed and turned away from the ATM. He barely caught of glimpse of the next screen on the ATM before he turned away and readied himself for a mad dash across the store; which read:

WELCOME, EDUARDO GUERERRA. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

So it was that before Eddie had finished taking his first-step he felt a slight pull and a tingle at the back of the neck, before vanishing from the store. As the machine finished shaking a single receipt popped out of the machine, marking the transactions completion at 11:04am.

Translations
    Spoiler
    Show

*God Damn the winter, and God Damn the idiot who decided to make the trip be in November.

*Maybe they're all cold blooded?

*Excuse me.

*You all have half an hour to buy what you need. Meet back here at 11:15 without fail. Understand?

*And everyone, stick with your partner at all times.

*Damn it!

*Hey Eduardo, hurry up!
    Last edited by Regalus; 2012-04-07 at 10:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Renji Mikage

Anxiety filled the thoughts of one Renji Mikage early this Friday morning. He had been up since 6:00 AM, practicing his Katas, trying to calm down. This was his first major tournament on an international level. It had been nine years since he had been living with Gentaro and he had always been dragging him along in his escapades. The brutal camping trips, the near-Spartan-like training, all that had brought them together. However, This time it had taken the proverbial cake.

" Renji, my boy, I've got spectacular news.", he remembered hearing that day a month ago. "You remember Dave Jackson, my American Friend from my tournament days. Well he's organizing a Mixed martial Arts tournament in about a month or so and he has extended an invitation to me and my Ogame Ryujin school. So get ready, boy, cause come November, you, me and the rest of the dojo are going to participate in the First Annual Jackson Mixed Martial Arts Tournament."

One month wasn't enough time. The entire dojo realized this and had spent the better part of a week trying to get him to see that. However when Gentaro made a choice, he was like mount Fuji, he just couldn't be moved. So with barely a month to prepare Renji and the rest of the dojo had prepare for the tournament.

Still it wasn't that he was novice in the tournament scene. He had won his fair share of tournaments since age ten, but this was more than what he had hoped to get involved in. Still it wasn't all bad.

It was already the second day in the tournament and they had done pretty well in the combat round, with him placing third in his age group and one of his sempai, Hanataro getting first place the day before. However, next was the exhibition portion of the tournament. Finnesse and technique would be evaluated critically. While he was confident in his skill with the weapons of the school, why did the old coot assign him the Zai demonstration? A katana, he could do with ease; Bo and Nunchaku, were ok; But Gentaro deliberatly assgin him the Zai, his least favored weapon.

"Damn the old coot. He's did this to get me back for losing my temper." said renji as he waited to be called. Yesterday, Renji discovered Gentaro had an additional motive for dragging him to this tournament. Turn out that his parents had managed to schedule their leaves so they could spend time with him. Though he had long since moved past his anger and had come to understand that his parents had not wanted to uproot their son because of their actions, he was still sore about the fact that they had just left him with his grandfather, rather than taking him with them. When he found out, Renji lost his characteristic cool and lashed out against Gentaro.

"Renji, you're up!", said Hanataro, who had felt Renji brood through his warmup routine.

"Oh sorry, Hanataro-sempai.", said Renji snapping out and made his way to the stage. Focusing only on the zai and his body, He centered himself. Whatever worry or anxiety had faded away under the rush of the kata.

After completing the demonstration, Renji went with Gentaro to meet with his folk. Gentaro had arranged to meet his folks at the lobby of the hotel they were staying in. From there, he, his parents and Gentaro would go on classic Gentaro familiy bonding "expirience". After changing into his street clothing and grabbing his bag, he headed for the lobby. A bit pissed at the fact that he had gotten fourth place (cause he knew he could have done better, had he not slipped on some sweat during the last steps of the kata), he was unwinding with his 3DS. Hooking up to the free wireless network, he began checking the online shop for new games to play.

As he activated the download, a prompt appeared in his screen.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: TEMPERANCE
    CONTINUE?

Beneath the text, lay two buttons. One was yes and the other no. Before he could try to puzzle out what happend, Renji saw Gentaro heading towards the checkout counter. As he stood up and grabbed his bag, Renji pressed yes accidentally.

WELCOME RENJI MIKAGE. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

As Renji walked toward his grandfather, there was a flash of light and he was gone. As Gentaro and the hotel staff desperately tried to understand what happend, the lobby watch marked 11:05 am.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

It was tough to grow up in New York City, especially being raised with a single mother. She spent most of her time alone and it wasn't that pleasurable, but she knew her mom needed her to be strong during this time. Unfortunately, she generally accomplished this by shutting herself off from all emotion and not letting anyone see her be vulnerable. At times when she was alone she wondered if all.. existence was just something to 'get through' and minor problems to deal with. One of the worst was having to get up at six everyday when her Mom went to work and then dress herself for school.

"Ugh.." Riley groaned from her school desk, thinking it over and rubbing her eyes. "Most girls get to spend some time with their mom, maybe even have her help in the morning.." She grumbled to herself, before sighing with exasperation. Her heart wasn't in feeling anger at her mom, or at anyone really. Trying to put it out of her mind the young tomboy figured she should think about something to look forward to.

"Hey, are you trying out for the team today?" She whispered over to a friend who gave her an incredulous look before they were both shushed to silence. Her.. friend.. didn't really seem to share any of her hobbies, so Riley felt silly for asking shortly after doing so. But still, thinking about running across the field and actually getting on the Football team made her a little happier- although the dark thoughts were still there.

After being told to finally get to work, Riley said something snarky to herself and turned on the computer. "Computer class is such a drag." She whispered to her friend with a chuckle, starting to get ready to do some lines.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: COURAGE. CONTINUE? Y/N

"What?" Riley questioned herself, seeing an oddly different screen from the typing programs she was accustomed to. "Is this some sort of new program?" She questioned quietly again, trying a few buttons that weren't N or Y only to get a loud error noise which got her a few dirty looks.

"Um.. whatever." She said mostly to herself, pressing the Y key. "Might as well get this over with."

WELCOME, RILEY MOORE. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

"Joy. Let's get this over this."

A moment later her chair sat empty in the middle of a crowded classroom and not one person noticed. The clock ticked onto the next number reading 11:06.
    Last edited by Buwh; 2012-04-08 at 09:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was a beautiful morning outside: the sun was shining, birds nested in the trees scattered among the apartment complex were singing, and the November air was just brisk enough. Unfortunately, Nathan was awake for it.

He lay in bed, trying to convince himself he was still dreaming and not actually up yet, when another whoop from downstairs tore through the apartment. Nathan gritted his teeth and rolled off of his sleeping mat, strongly considering grabbing the KA-BAR under his pillow and exacting some bloody, satisfying justice.

No, shanking Chad would just make Christmas dinner awkward.

Nathan stalked out of his room and headed downstairs in his boxers to lean against the wall glaring murderously at his brother. "Chad. What the hell are you doing?"

"What d'ya think, dude? It's a new UFC fight! Machida versus Jason Frank! It's friggin' awesome!" In worn jeans, Affliction shirt, and backwards cap, Nathan's stepbrother Chad looked exactly like one would expect from that.

"Alright, let's play a game. See that chart on the wall? What is it?" Nathan pointed at an orange sheet of paper with a calendar printed on it, pinned to a corkboard over the brothers' massive DVD collection.

"Uh... your work schedule?"

"Yes. And what does it say about last night?"

Chad winced. "...That you worked a closing shift?"

Nathan nodded. "Yes. And that means...?"

Chad turned the volume down on the TV. "That me wakin' you up before noon is grounds for justifiable homicide and there ain't a jury in the country that would convict you?"

Nathan nodded and started heading back upstairs.

To his credit, Chad looked genuinely abashed. "Sorry, dude! Don't go for the knife!" He thought quickly and added a conciliatory postscript. "Lance bought me some beer last night. There's still some in the fridge, so help yourself."

Nathan grunted acceptance of the peace offering and went back into his room to get dressed. He was already awake, so he might as well make the best of it. He grabbed clothes from their neatly-folded piles in his dresser and jumped into a hot shower that did wonders for his mood.

Upon returning downstairs, he ignored a much-quieter Chad and wandered vaguely into the kitchen in search of breakfast. He still had some leftovers from the Chinese place near El Lobo Loco, the sports bar he worked at. Nothing like cold chow mein to start a day. He booted up his computer as he quieted his growling stomach with delicious stir-fried noodles and pork. At least he didn't have work tonight, so he could just relax. Hit the gym for a bit, then maybe see how badly he could school Chad in Battlefield 3. Sounded like a plan.

His computer made an odd, urgent beeping noise and the screen flickered, then filled with corrupted images.

Crap. The video card's going out or something. There goes a paycheck.

A text prompt, or what he assumed to be one, appeared in the corner of the screen.

D̓͑ͩ̎ͤͧI̓ͧ̉̇͌͗GIͤ̄͒̋̈̋ͫS̍̈́̓ͯI̓ͥ͊͒̉̌̿G͗ͨͦ̉ͯ̎N̔̑̆̇ͣͪ ̋ ̽͊Rͪ̈̇͊Ē̄C̐ͬͪ͊̚Ǒ͐G̊́N̂ͬ̽̓I̅̑̏ͣZ̀̈́̅Eͮ̂̃̈D:̓̔ͫ ͐̍̃̃ C͑͂̋̽̉̎Ōͪͤ̓̊̃ͩNͣͪVͨ̑ͫ̽ͬͯI͊͒͒̈́ͧČ̚Tͣ̄ͥ̈Iͪͫ͗̒̏O̊̃͒̚ ͆Nͫͨͧͫ. ̂̀́C̓̂O͒̍̀̈́N̅̊͂T͌ͯ͋Ȉ͐Nͦͯ̏̋͆̃̄Uͧͮ̿̂ͭE̍́̂ ͪ̊ͣ̋͑̅ͮY̽̊́̈̂ͪ/͑ͬ̚N͑͌ͬ̓͌?͑

Mostly by reflex, Nathan hit "N." The prompt blinked and distorted, then cleared slightly.

D͂̿́I̾̎ͧ̈̚G̏ͬ̒I̓͐ͭ̿SͭͬIͯͧͩ̚G͗͑ͬͨŇͬ̈́̈̉ ͪ̈R͊ͦ͌E̐̅̾̿̇̋C̽̓̏ͬ͐OGN̓I͊ZÉD̂̏̍͆:̌̓̾ ̔ͭͨC̽ONͧ̅͒V͑ͧĪ͌͗͆͐̚CTIŎ́N. CONTINUE Y/N?

Gritting his teeth in frustration at just one more thing going wrong today, Nathan pressed "N" again. This time the prompt cleared entirely before returning in readable form.

DIGISIGN RECOGNIZED: CONVICTION. CONTINUE Y/N?

"Ah, what the hell." Nathan pressed "Y."

WELCOME, NATHAN SHEPHARD. TRANSPORTATION INITIALIZED.

Light flared from the screen. Nathan was already halfway to his feet, trying to dive for cover behind the kitchen counter, when he vanished.

Chad shouted various expletives at the TV in the other room as Machida took a nasty kick. The clock ticked to 11:08.
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2012-04-08 at 08:37 PM.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Each of you feel yourself pulled by your navel down a tunnel lined with machine code, the digits gleaming in the full spectrum of colors. Gradually, the multitude of hues shifts entirely to a bright <insert color here>, which then proceeds to brighten further. The zeroes and ones fade into one another, and soon all you can see is a blinding light. It peaks in a sudden flash of intensity, and the sense of motion you feel disappears, immediately before you pass out.

A dozen gleaming orbs hover over the circular chamber, shadows ever-shifting as they drift about. The ancient machinery blinks and whirrs to life as if new, and a sonorous hum resonates along the walls and floor. Trails of light crisscross from the console in the center of the room to seven chairs, arranged in a semicircle along the walls. One by one, an orb drifts above a seat, and a pillar of radiance shines down; a unconscious human materializes, and the orb dissipates.

First Tomas in the middle of the arrangement; then Sophia to his right, followed by Barret to his left; Alex to Sophia's right; Eduardo to Barret's left; Renji to Alex's right; and finally Riley to Eduardo's left. Standing behind the console, a metal beetle stands motionless in shock as the humans awake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-04-14 at 12:07 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Alex

Everything seemed to warp as he found himself tumbling impossibly through a world of light and shadow, blue numbers hurtling by without any care or conscience, an uncaring, emotionless void...
    Alex shuddered as he fell, not from fear of what was at the bottom; he fell as though in a dream, and no one thinks what will happen when they reach the bottom. It felt like an endless drop, but all about him those numbers were brightening, reaching an impossible intensity, a light that burned him, so bright he felt he must surely cease to be as the fire of it scorched him to his very core and then even that fell away and he was empty, or new.

He 'awoke' in the chamber, not quite sure what/where/who he was, and a number of questions concerning the whys and hows sprung to mind as well.
    Well this is an odd dream he thought idly, he was good at separating dreams from reality and was often able to recognise a dream for what it was, but this isn't the kind of thing that normally comes up... he conceded.
    It was so cold, so clinical, and far more scifi than he was used to.
    He suddenly registered the others around him, a motley selection he thought and none of whom he thought he'd ever seen before which is odd, the faces of 'extras' aren't normally this distinct. IN fact, everything about this dream seems slightly too real!

He looked up and saw the perplexed-looking-robot-beetle and started abruptly. he'd been so busy in introspection he'd entirely forgotten his weird subconscious was wont to come up with strange creatures.

He tried to rise, expecting to held down by fear or something, but instead his limbs obeyed him and he stood, almost as confused as the beetle. It didn't seem to be doing anything, and since it was his dream he'd know if it turned crazy, so he began to look around the room, and at his fellow 'captives', if that was the right word for whatever this was...
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-04-09 at 11:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Tripping through the indigo vortex of 0s and 1s, Barrett was pretty sure he had slipped and cracked his head open while throwing his phone. What he was now experiencing was the “light at end”. Also felt like his colon was trying to join with his uvula in some kind of Human Centipedese horror show. When finally pummeled to ground in the chamber he hit with a very hard *THUD*.

Barrett awoke still seeing stars,struggling to gain a bearing of his surrounding. His whole head seemed to *wob*wob* with every thought. Sitting back, he reaches into shirt pocket and grabs a Pyramid and lighted up. That’s better. Puffing back and forth Barrett’s head clears and he can finally register where he was. Ok. Now I’m confused. Is this a hospital ward? Who are these people? What is that thing at the console? Who the hell is this place’s designer, Dr.Kevorkian? I must have hit my head pretty hard. This has to be some kind hallucination.

After those quick moments of introspection, Barrett posts up in his chair, ready to be amazed by his dying mind's last throbs of action .
    Last edited by Bessebiscut; 2012-04-13 at 11:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Do you know that feeling you get when you're walking down a road and the next step is lower than you thought it was? Well, take that feeling multiply it by a hundred and add a cliff dive to it; that is about as close as you'll get to the soul wrenching panic that overwhelmed Eddie as his running start gave way to an infinite abyss below. The psychedelic light show turned blinding orange flash didn't serve to serve the screaming boy as he flailed and twirled through the tunnel. His panic driven mind barely registering the numbers surrounding him before he mercifully passed out.

Sadly, he would be soon wrenched from Morpheus' sweet embrace by a sudden crash at his side. The young boy groaned softly as he reached for his head to soothe the pounding headache that tormented his groggy mind. "Ay, Maldita sea..." he groaned half-heartedly as he begin sliding off the side of his chair in search of a soft surface to lay on. The sudden shift in gravity, immediately shocked out of his groggy state, allowing him to stop himself from falling off his chair.

As his mind pieced together recent events Eddie tried not to panic. He scanned the unfamiliar room, the words of the man besides him barely registering as he spotted the other youths in the room. "Donde diablos estoy? Que carajo me paso ?!"" he muttered to himself, his mind playing back his voyage down the mandarin trek. His mind took this a go ahead to conjure up any an all possible explanations; considering kidnapping, drugs and other such things until he locked eyes with the strange robot thing on the other side of the room. At that moment his mind went blank as he stared wide-eyed at the strange creature before him. He officially had no f#cking idea what was going on, and his got told him he wasn't going to like it.

Translations
    Spoiler
    Show

*Ah, Damn it.
    *Where the hell am I? What the hell happened to me?!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Renji Mikage

One moment, Renji was walking towards his grandfather in the lobby of their hotel in New York, and the next there was a bright red flash. Then came the descent.

"Are these number?", renji pondered as he fell at high speeds. Crimson 1s and 0s sped by as the boy continued to plummet down the tunnel.

"Assuming that wasn't an explosion and i'm already dead, and i'm pretty sure this isn't anywhere near Gentaros's doing, then what i'm seeing must be real.", Renji said to himself as he adjusted his descent. If the floor was at the end of this journey, he would be sure miniminze the damage.

"If this is real, then it follows that i'm being transported somewhere."

The possibility of scenario similar to some of the scifi shows he had seen began to play in his head. However, before he could give more time to this train of thought, the light at the end intensified. Struggling with the brightness, Renji succumbed and passed out. His next waking thought was that he was sitting in a chair. As his sight adjusted, he heard the hum of machinery. Then he caught sight of the room, noticing that there were others who maybe were transported as well and...

"Is that a beetle- themed robot?", said Renji out loud with a visible degree of confusion. Some of the plots of several of his favorite tv shows sprung to his mind as he waited for the robot to react.
    Last edited by Assurau; 2012-04-10 at 08:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Unable to even scream, Riley tried to retain control of her lunch as the weirdness swirled around her. It was worse than being on those Ripley's Believe or Not spinning tunnels.. way worse. "G-gold..!" She manages to choke out somehow. Or maybe not even, it may have been her imagination or just a mew of noise. But the intensity of the golden light hit her eyes and for a moment that's all she saw, and she wondered whether this was dying or being blind.

As she awoke she rubbed her eyes on instinct before blinking them clear and looking around. I can see? She thought to herself, before taking in the rest of the room. So I must be dead.. is this what dad felt?

"Dad?" Riley tentatively called out, looking around slowly, her brain still a mush from the intense trip. Other people were waking up here, and none of them she recognized. The only one speaking was saying something she didn't recognize at all and in her muddled mind that was a bad sign. This place was so weird and not at all.. well.. not where she wanted to be. Is this.. hell?

Jerking her eyes over to the one person speaking English, and then to the beetle they mentioned, she let out a chuckle of utter bafflement.

"Is this some kind of joke? Am I already dead or are we about to be Sawed? Am I on camera.. because random people waking up in a room together is never good. Someone just tell me because I am not in the mood for this s***!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Sophia passed out the moment the violet light enveloped her.

When she awoke, she was surrounded by people she had never seen before.

"Who are you people, where am I?"

Sophia looked down, remembering the bright light, and noted first she was clothed, and that her hat was on her head. She remembered dressing exactly like this, so she had a series of events to relate in her head. Everything was sane.

Everything was not sane there was a gigantic beetle.

"Aaaaaaah!"

She scurried away from the insect across the floor, and huddled against the wall.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Tomas groggily awakens, tries to rise out of his seat, fails, and flops onto the floor. That was a hell of a subway trip. Scrutinizing the floor, he comes to the conclusion that this can't be any sort of subway station - the floor is too damn clean. Immaculate, in fact. This room is more sterile than a hospital.

His strength and sense of balance returning, he makes a valiant and much more successful attempt to stand. Ignoring the other people for a moment, he runs his hand over the terminal in the center of the room. Wherever he is, the technology here is sleeker than anything he's seen. He stiffens as a realization strikes him - he knows where they are. Actually, to be precise, he knows when they are.

He looks to Riley. "Totally not joking here, we were just teleported to the future. Or aliens. Or both. But this tech looks vaguely human-made, so probably just the future."

Before the beetle can muster a response to any of the humans, a new voice can be heard from beyond the exit. "I told you not to touch anything, Kuwa! I could hear the noise echoing through the tunnels; the marauders are bound to have heard and be after us. We need to get mov..." The owner of the voice - a blue-cloaked and hatted figure - enters the room and stops abruptly. "Humans?"

The beetle answers with a heavily distorted voice, as if speaking through a tesla coil. "I touched nothing! I stepped in the room, and the lights and machinery powered on. Wizardmon, the system must be automated, or..."

Kokuwamon's voice trails off as another orb hovers into position over the chair recently vacated by Tomas. Another pillar of light, and the orb shatters, leaving a perplexed young man in the seat.

Wizardmon regards the seven - now eight - humans with an intense gaze, before his demeanor softens a few seconds later. "You're all probably confused, and I know I am. The creatures that are about to be here are not noble or pleasant, so we need to put some distance between us and them. Please trust me, at least for the next few minutes, and then we can figure out what happened here."
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-04-14 at 12:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rather unfortunately, Nathan instinctively kept moving for his dive even as he materialized. The ease with which he executed a break-fall and rolled with his movement was quite impressive. The speed at which he slammed into the central console, however, was not. His stream of angry, pained curses was.

Nathan awkwardly clambered to his feet, clutching his head with one hand, before realizing that his surroundings were in no way reminescent of his apartment and none of the other people in the room looked anything like Chad. He fell into a defensive fighting stance that would have looked rather cool, given his military fashion sense, if not for the totally ungraceful spectacle he'd just made of himself.

"What the hell's going on, who are you, and how fast do we have to run?"

At least his tactical assessment was fairly sound.

I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Alex Swift

Everything started happening at once. From the calm, frightening stillness the others had awoken and started moving and another persona had arrived and then someone from outside talking about horrible things and then the beetle started talking as well....
    This was getting over the top, and not the way dreams normally ran, in fact this was more like... an adventure!

"Running sounds good!" He echoed and was already moving after the fellow with the hat.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Renji Mikage

"So someone else thought along the same lines I did.", said Renji looking that the guy who had stood up.

However, then came the cloaked figure. Upon hearing the discussion between them and the accidental nature of their arrival was revealed, Renji began to question if he hadn't fallen asleep after watching anime again.

"This Wizardmon seems to be the one in charge and this Kuwa seems to be playing the bumbling sidekick role. If what Wizardmon says it's true, hauling ass, as my sempai would say, should be a suitable course of action. Especially since we may not know what the mauraders he mentioned are capable of, regardless of where we are now in space, time or dimension", said Renji to the new arrival.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sophia calmed down when the things began to speak.

She was going crazy. Alright.

The wizard thing was definitely a friendly hallucination at least, and he sounded gallant.

"Alright, I'll go along with this then. Lead the way mister wizard."

Sophia offers her hand to the Wizardmon.

"I don't know how I can help though, I can't fight."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It appeared to Eddie that the general feeling in the room was confusion, so it was nice to know he wasn't the only one racking his brain at the events that had just occured. Thankfully Mr. RoTC's antics had managed to liven the mood for a moment; even if their impending doom seemed to be just a few minutes away.

After Renji finished his short analisis Eddie took a moment,to calm himself along with a big breath."Screw it," he said in a half sigh as he stood up, unzipped his jacket and began pocketing his gloves. He wasn't sure if it was the adrenaline pumping through him, the knowledge of impending doom, or if the sheer absurdity of everything that had happened in the last few minutes had finally gotten to him; but for the moment he found himself able to take his disbelief and toss it down a ditch. For the moment, it seemed like he had more pressing matters than a talking beetlebot or spontaneous teleportation.

"Well, if that's the case than let's all haul ass. No point giving these people time to get here if they're that bad," he said replying to Renji's argument as he began walking towards the console in front of them; he then eyed Renji accross the console with a raised brow. "...But did ya have to call'em bumbling? Kinda rude to insult a stranger don'tcha think?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Taking the last drag of his cigarette, Barrett stood and addressed the group. “Well I must say, dying brain hallucination or not, this is sure exciting.” He bent over; pulled on his bootstraps, making sure they were on tight. Then he feint a bow to Wizardmon, “If you’d be so kind as to point the way to go Mr.Wiz, I shall beat feet and haul ass.” Looking around with a smirk dripping with superciliousness; “I suggest rest of you lovely rabble join me.”
    Last edited by Bessebiscut; 2012-04-15 at 01:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Normally, Tomas would have demanded an explanation, of which he was sure there was a perfectly reasonable, rational one, before moving on. Given the circumstances, though - specifically, the sheer number of improbable, impossible, and/or awesome things that had happened - it would be a long one, and he likes his explanations to be delivered in a single sitting. I can wait, a bit.

He begins to follow the rest out; that is, the rest, except for the Kokuwamon, who seems to be fiddling around with the terminal. He reaches for the thing's shoulder, and gently nudges him. "Come on, little droid," he urges, but the machine shrugs his hand off. "Wait," Kokuwamon replies, and stands very still.

Wizardmon takes the girl's hand and smiles, at least with his eyes. "The plan is that we don't have to fight. Let's make haste." He motions for the others to follow and begins to take the left hand corridor out past the exit, but Kokuwamon quickly interrupts him

"Fact, you're taking the wrong way."

"We can't leave through the same route we entered, Kuwa. We'll run right into them."

"Who has the computerized memory?"

Wizardmon ***** his head. "This is the Digital World. So, technically, we both do."

"Rephrase, who has the better computerized memory? Hint," he adds, carefully extracting one of his plugs from a port in the side of the terminal, "the one who just finished downloading the area schematics. Left leads to a dead end - sealed off by rubble. There's a second, hidden entrance if we take the right."

"So, does this mean you want to lead?"

"I probably should, yes." He edges his way to the front of the group, and snaps a claw twice. Electricity arcs between the tips, bright enough to illuminate the tunnels and corridors and rooms that, with the exception of the room the humans appeared in, are mostly unlit.

Under Kokuwamon's lead, the group exits to the right and takes turn after turn, entering and exiting rooms, navigating a maze of corridors, until anyone without perfect recall (or a map in their brain) is probably lost. The halls are ancient and dust-covered, with strange scripts lining the walls. Many are sealed off, caved in, or otherwise inaccessible. On occasion, a corridor gives way to a genuine tunnel through the rock. The passages are low clearance, but the rooms are not, filled with monlithic machinery of uncertain function.

All the while, Kokuwamon is muttering to himself, "Now we take another right, and..."

Dead end.

"Well, that was our best way out."

After the turn, the passage abruptly ends in a pile of stone, but this cave-in looks recent, with scorches from weapon fire visible.

"We can get to the other entrance from here, there's secret passages, and it's not too far. However, if our friends did this, then they are likely waiting for us. We would get the drop on them, but we'd still have to pass through them. Anything, Wizardmon?"

Wizardmon produces a translucent orb seemingly from nowhere and gazes into it for a few moments, his eyes clouded and breathing stilled, before he shakes himself back to normal and stows the orb into his cloak. "We will encounter them inside, near the entrance." His brow furrows, and he looks among the humans. "Any ideas?"
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-04-15 at 07:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

"When ever my mortal coil is close to slipping into the abyss, I always think of what a truly great American hero said many a time....IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!!!" Barrett flashes a toothy grin and a double thumbs up.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan frowned as he thought, running through possibilities in his mind. He could freak out over bizarre circumstances later; now, the squad was in danger.

"They're near the entrance? And I suppose we're out of alternate routes. Okay... think, Nathan, think..." He snapped his fingers. "Stratagem 13: Beat the Grass to Startle the Snake. Stratagem 28: Lure Them Onto the Roof, Then Take Away the Ladder." He turned to the two Digimon, forcing himself to see them as nothing more unusual than tactical assets. "How powerful is the enemy? If we had the element of surprise, could we fight our way through and make a run for it? I can't speak for the others, but all I need is something I can use as a quarterstaff. There's plenty of electrical and mechanical equipment around here... any large capacitors or generators? If we can rig up some explosions to startle the enemy and draw them into an ambush, we'll have a better chance."
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2012-04-15 at 08:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Alex Swift

Digital World? Well that would explain all the machinery, and the robo-bug, but why would there me a wizard in a digital world? With omething that looked like a crystal ball?

Everyone else seemed to be getting on just fine, but the sheer amount of craziness that Alex was being exposed to was slowing him down, just like a computer trying to download something too large.

"Mr, Mr Wizardmon? Could you, I don't know, 'magic' those rocks away?" he felt a bit silly suggesting something so foolish so tried to come up with a practical solution as well.
    "Um, or is there, I don't know, some kind of vent? So we don't have to go through the corridors? Another level maybe?" This was directed more towards Kokuwamon.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Eddie just stared at the six foot tall wall of meat near him as it smiled proudly. Eddie had just been transported to good knows where, here easn't liking the sound of Digital World at the moment, and was being led through underground catacombs by a wizard and a smart-talking droid; and yet this...person appeared All he to him to be the strangest thing he'd ever met. All he could do was chuckle awkwardly before focusing on the matter at hand.

Thankfully the man in military wear to do more than just look the part. He was impressed, the man really sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Sadly he couldn't think of any alternatives, and another boy beat him too asking them for alternate routes. "I don't think there are other routes out of here," he replied uncertainly to Alex's question. "I mean, if there were we wouldn't be talking about setting a trap before charging in guns blazing, right?" he explained before looking at Kokuwamon and Wizardmon questioningly.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"The future? Psh.. what kind of lame.. digital world?" Riley said in shock, having just followed the group along. She hadn't really registered that they were in danger yet. It just hadn't pierced the barrier that keeps her from believing outlandish stories and sunk in yet, so she just stood around dumbfounded and useless barely able to follow.. the crazy looking machine bug and his oddly dressed friend.

"Listen, if these guys are afraid of whatever is coming, what can we do? Assuming this is all real." She pinched herself for emphasis to no effect, sighing with frustration. "Okay.. so that doesn't really work. But I don't want to die in a dream. What can we possibly do? Can someone please just tell me how to escape this crazy nightmare?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Wizardmon scrunches his face in concentration. Three Mekanorimon, 8 feet high, basically walking tanks. If they're unpiloted, I can fight two; piloted, I'm evenly matched with one. Not sure whether they're piloted or not, or what's driving them if they are. Also, that is a lot of rock."

"Everything is out of juice in this complex, no power signatures around. Except for the transport room, obviously. The vents are also not an option," he adds, for Alex's sake, "unless you're a Thundermon in a human suit."

Tomas looks quizzically at Kokuwamon. "What's a Thundermon?"

"Really small. No, young one, the only way out is probably through them."

"Okay, voice of reason here. If the wizard, with his magic and whatnot, can only tackle one, I don't think the rest of us stand a chance. Maybe the wizard, and, I don't know, one or two of us, can draw their attention, and the rest can slip through." Tomas gives a wide shrug. "I guess I volunteer."
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-04-17 at 12:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Alex

"Hey, I'm all for people wanting to play the hero, but surely the robotic killer robots will make rather short work of you..."

"And where are we even meant to go to? You said it was a transport room- could we use it to, like, transport us, wherever?"

Alex tried to calm himself, he was getting into this adventure, but he knew if he were to survive he'd have to use his intellect.