New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

Ever the gentleman, Jon smiles and stands as Mikka joins him. " 'Morning, good to have a proper night's sleep. Suspect we won't see the others for a bit. I'm planning on tinkering today, mostly making ammo. Also healing. Best to take it easy for another day, at least."

He winces as he sits, wounds and muscles more sore the second day.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

While eating breakfast, one of the waiting staff delivers a note.

An acquaintance of mine has a job for you. Please meet him at the address on the back of this note tomorrow at second watch. You will be well compensated.

-N

The reverse of the paper gives the number of a warehouse on the riverfront.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-09-28 at 06:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Jon looks over the note briefly before handing it to Mikka. "What do you make of it? We seem suspiciously popular among the secretive and wealthy crowd around here. Trap?"
    Last edited by stack; 2011-09-28 at 06:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Well I don't think that we are that well known. Nordham is probably just giving us out to work for his friends. And here we are just following him."

The breeze around Mika seems to die down slightly as she spaces out for a moment. Then Jon hears her whisper "Почему он делает это ... и кто мы больно, помогая ему?"

Spoiler
    Show
    In Auran
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is he doing this...and who are we hurting by helping him?

After a few seconds, Mika's breeze return to its usual strength. "I think that I might go and walk around town for a bit today. We should hear what the others have to say as well."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Jon looks confused as he tries to understand Mika's whisper. (Doesn't speak auran)

He continues leaning in and whispering. "Not sure I like being hired out. Especially without knowing the big picture. We should definitely inform the others now. We have a day, we can scout and plan."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

Genevieve drags herself downstairs, wincing at the light and squinting her good eye. She hauls herself into the seat, greyed hair frizzy and clumped. "Mrsh." She mutters, before tucking into breakfast, and downing three pints of ale. Finally, she feels good enough to look the note over and hand it back.

"Well. Of course our patron is going to talk. We have no reason to distrust his note here, though it always pays to go in with caution. I suggest that someone go look over the meeting place ahead of time. We should not all go, of course."
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huril eventually makes it down to the rest of the group, looking a little hung over, but otherwise, in pretty good shape, his armor and sword still on from when he donned them the morning. (or was it night?) "Hey," he said, taking a seat and laying into the food as well. "More work?" He asked through a mouthful of food, noticing the others looking at this note.
    ~ZA

8. - Top - End - #338

BlueKnightGuy

"Yeah, something like that. Looks like Nordham is wanting us to help another one of his friends. Tomorrow evening. So we have the day free. I was thinking of doing a little shopping."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

A little later, Tyr came loudly down the stairs, spotted the group, you guys all here already. What are we talking about.?
    Tyr grabbed some breakfast and started digging in at the table.

10. - Top - End - #340

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

As Tyr comes into the room, Jon frowns slightly, remembering the man's actions during the fight. He puts that off for later. "One of us should perhaps scout out the area before hand, but more than one or two would draw too much attention. As I have neither the skill or the stomach for more sneaking about just yet, I will have to recuse myself, though I am loathe to ask anyone else to head into danger unsupported. Regardless, we should go to this meeting unless we learn something that dramatically changes our relationship with our present benefactor."

He stands. "But for now, I have a bit more work to do in the workshop, so you may find me there if you need anything."

12. - Top - End - #342

BlueKnightGuy

"I personally want to do some shopping. And I can only really move fast, not sneak much. So someone else doing this may be better. A new town I want to know some about it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mika goes though town and listen to people. She will try to figure out who both Nordham and the lady in blue are from the opinions of the people of the town. She also wants to know whose business the group hurt by freeing the slaves.

She wants to understand the power structure of the city more. She will start out by going through the city and listening to people, especially about their reactions to last nights raid. She will ask questions if she finds someone that she believes wouldn't intentionally lie to her.

I do not have knowledge local but I do have perception to listen into conversations, diplomacy to learn more, and bluff to seem like she isn't asking anything important.

perception (1d20+3)[18]
    diplomacy (1d20+6)[9]
    bluff (1d20+7)[11]

13. - Top - End - #343

"Well, I ain't opposed to any sneaking about, an' I'm alright at it anyhow," Huril said, shrugging as he spoke and ate at the same time.
    ~ZA

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

I can sneak okay, but I'm not the best at it. Mika, I think speed and stealth might be useful combo. None of us are the stealthy type yet anyway I think.
    Tyr said as he was eating.

15. - Top - End - #345

BlueKnightGuy

"It isn't like we are planning to do anything improper. We are thinking of only checking out the place. And Huril has already said that he is willing to do so. Also, given last night, a fast mage who is sneaking about will be suspicious. And besides I have a little shopping to do and I think that Huril can be trusted." Mika smiles as she responds to Tyr. She then gets up from sitting down and leaves the inn.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

@mika
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're planning on shopping, then go ahead and shop. No need to wait

@everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who wants to scout out the location should roll either a disguise or a stealth check (your choice) and perception.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

@Mika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once you head out, you almost immediately notice the aforementioned wanted posters, but the descriptions are too vague to trouble you.

Rumors about the raid are on everyone's lips, and, despite the wanted posters, half the people you hear seem to think it was some kind of skraeling rescue mission, or a flesh-eating monster, or even more fanciful stories. You even spot a group of toughs rousting any young men who looks to be around Peter's age and comparing them to the sketch.

The other half think it was some sort of business or political intrigue, idly speculating on who might be to blame. House Henderthane (the ones who owned the slaves and put up the reward) seem to have many enemies in town. They seem to have won their exclusive guano mining contract through nepotism--some kind of arranged marriage back in Cheliax--and many weren't happy about it. Unfortunately people are reluctant to name names when you ask them to be more specific. Vague rumor are one thing, but libelous accusation can be serious business.

You never find out who the lady in blue might be (you never saw her face clearly, and clothing color isn't much of an identifying feature), but you do hear that House Henderthane's representative in Anchor's End is a woman who hardly ever appears in public (there's much speculation that she's a tiefling, half-orc, or some other kind of scandalous illegitimate half-breed banished to the other side of the world).

As for Nordham, his name never comes up in connection with the raid. Most people seem to have an unshakably positive view of him. Not only is he as charitable as he is wealthy, he's also something of a local mascot and institution, and an unofficial arbitrator for those who don't wish to work through the harsh Chelaxian legal system. Everyone views him as as their personal patron and problem solver.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Jon goes back to the workshop and spends the bulk of the day crafting ammunition and putting decorative touches on his "new" blunderbuss. He also spends some time working out an arrangement of straps to form a harness to keep the weapon close at hand, trading ease of loading for ease of use.

19. - Top - End - #349

"I guess I'm off then," Huril said, gathering himself up and heading out to the location they were given. "See you lot soon," he said, giving them a grin before stepping out the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    stealth:(1d20+6)[24]
    perception: (1d20+5)[14]
    ~ZA

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

@Huril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huril wanders off from the inn, taking a meandering route to the prospective meeting place to shake any tails and limit suspicions. After a few casual strolls past the building, he eventually finds a tavern with a decent view of the place and sets in for a few hours of drinking and observation.

While Huril is quite sure that he's unnoticed, the operations of the warehouse are utterly mundane. Wagon and river boats come and go all day, either dropping off or picking up cargo. Crates, kegs, great rolls of cloth and rope all cycle through. Around midday a longboat loaded with a half dozen armed guards pulls up to the quay and unloads a single strongbox. A pair of burly porters struggle mightily to haul the chest off the boat and onto a waiting dolly. There's a symbol or crest of some sort on the heavy cargo, but Huril can't make it out at this distance.

This process is repeated three more times before evening approached and Huril heads back to the inn to report his observations
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-05 at 06:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

BlueKnightGuy

Mika eventually arrives back at the inn. She looks tired and walks directly to her room, drops face first into bed, and stays there for a few moments. I don't believe this. I'm not suited for this stuff.

Mika eventually turns and looks up at the ceiling. Thoughts of her past filling her mind.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

As evening comes around, Jon looks up from his work. He has spent the entire day adjusting and fiddling, hunched over detail work. The last half-hour he has been practicing drawing using his new sling, repeatedly banging himself in the knee, hip, and elbow. Bruised, tired, and eye sore, he finally remembers that he neglected lunch. His stomach no longer letting him put off the inevitable, he goes to see if any of the others are around so that they can discuss plans over dinner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a good time to recap our days.

23. - Top - End - #353

Genevieve waits downstairs, with a piece of parchment unrolled before her, and a charcoal stick in hand. She considers it for a while before stabbing at it here and there, chewing her lip as she adjusts the drawing.

When Jon comes downstairs, she puts it aside and nods at him. "Good evening."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

"Good evening to you as well. I thought I would see if I was the only one in need of a meal. perhaps also discuss our days accomplishments, not that I have much to report myself. Hungry?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Leaving it open for anyone else who wants to join in, hence the short post.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

I know, I am, I was finishing up my work on my gun. I'm resupplied, and hungry. Anyone got anything to report?

Tyr said famished.

26. - Top - End - #356

BlueKnightGuy

Mika turns her head as she hears a cheer from downstairs. The only light in the room coming from between the gaps of the curtains. her breeze has long since died away. "Evening...Guess it is dinner time."

Mika lays there for several moments; considering whether or not to eat. She then turns to lay on her side. "I'm not hungry." And she tries to fall asleep.

27. - Top - End - #357

"Accomplished? Not much, m'sieur. At the minute, I can think of nothing to buy that I can afford, and I wish to see how this clandestine meeting at second watch goes before I start poking around for information on some possibly informative topics."

"And so I wait. Currently I have established a coat of arms for the monarchy I intend to establish once I carve out a nation here. This is, of course, a long-term goal. Might take a few months."

Genevieve's grin is less than serious.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to role play for awhile that fine, but if you want decide on a plan for the meeting I'll advance it to then

29. - Top - End - #359

Huril returned late in the day, dusk rolling in, and his step getting a little unsteady from all the drink he had while watching the locale for tomorrow night. "Welp, I din'n see much out there, jus' four fancy lookin', an heavy, boxes. All kind a guard round em too. Whaddaya make o that?" He said as he took a seat at the table with who ever else was there at the time.
    ~ZA

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Jon shakes is head at Genevieve's artistry but declines to start a political debate, sensing the jest.

He nods at Huril's report as they sit down to eat. He is frowning and staring thoughtfully at the table, speaking in a low voice so as not to be overheard by anyone nearby. "I don't see anything else for it. We may as well go and find out what they want us to do. The other...matter...seems to have been a good deed, even if it was initiated in self-interest. If another man wants to pay us to do good and thereby aid himself...I am in no position to argue."