New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

Satisfied that your equipment is stowed, the guard cautiously opens the door to reveal a dingy alchemical workshop. Though as brightly lit as the rest of the warehouse, a film of black dust hangs in the air and clings to all the room's surfaces. Several workstations fill the chamber, most of them dedicated to grinding and mixing of charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter, though a few near the far wall contain broad assortment of rarer reagents.

An small man is hunched over one of these more complicated setups. He continues his work as you approach, adding pinches, dashes, and spoonfuls of various extra ingredients to a copper shaker full of finely ground gunpowder. Suddenly he claps a lid on the container, shaking it to mix before pouring it off into a slim tube of waxed paper. He spins and ties off the open end, like an explosive sausage, before adding it to a carefully packed crate of identical paper rolls.

His work completed, the middle-aged alchemist finally acknowledges your presence. He speaks in lightly accented common, "my name is Quisan Li. Nordham tells me that you're competent enough, and that you bare an uncanny resemblance to a group of notorious blackguards." He chuckles, the continues, "oh, don't be worried. After all, I'm the reason Nordham sent you after those slaves in the first place. If you're willing to listen and desirous of coin, I've a job offer that should line your pouches and take you out of town until the mob loses interest in your previous exploits."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-17 at 01:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's eyes widen when he sees the sheer volume of explosive power in the room. No wonder they are cautious...

He responds to the man. "Our interest will hinge on the nature of the work. We are neither assassins nor thieves and will not sell ourselves into the service of any who would do evil." Well, most of us won't...I think.

"I helped free the slaves for their sake, not yours, though I am not ungrateful for the compensation. If your current offer is in the same vein, then we have much to discuss."

Let's hope none of your enemies decide to toss a match in here.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Allow me to provide a translation for the speech of my verbose friend." Genevieve steps forward. "We are listening." She flashes a winning smile.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! (1d20+8)[14] I think it's +8... Ah well, close enough.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

"Excellent," Li returns Genevieve's smile with a bank of carved ivory dentition.

"No need to fear, I only ask two things. First, protect a shipment of my goods heading to a mining town upriver. Second, I've timed the shipment so that a barge full of saltpeter should be over-nighting in the town when you arrive, make sure that these," he produces five small vials of clear liquid from one of the many pockets in his work coat, "find their way into the shipment. And don't let anyone see you do it."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-17 at 02:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Jon leans forward to inspect the vials. "What is the nature of the vials and what is the contents of your cargo? You obviously have an interest in sabotaging your competitors. We know you wish to take over the mines. You clearly are heavily involved in producing powder. Is there a purpose to this mission beyond your economic advantage and eventual monopoly?"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

What kind of opposition/bandits do you think we should expect trying to steal this shipment? Presumely, you need protection because someone has attempted to mess with your shipments prior.
    Tyr said as he tried to understand the situation.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Li responds to Jon, "no. Currently we're paying ten or more times what it costs to mine the guano, and we're only allowed to purchase a set quota. My associates and I would like to access to more saltpeter at cost. The liquid in these vials will render the saltpeter useless; with luck, it will finally push the Lord Governor to void house Henderthane's contract. If it makes you feel better, we have access to certain knowledge that would make it feasible to operate the mines without slave labor."

He turns to Tyr, "I know of no specific threat, but valuable cargo always needs protecting. Blasting powder and mercury are worth quite a bit more than their weight in gold so near the mine heads, and there are many desperate skraelings and busted prospectors stalking the river."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Make the saltpeter useless with only 5 vials? For a whole barge? How?" Mika asks with pure curiosity. She then shakes her head.
    "Besides wouldn't the ship be guarded, especially with the current events around here? How could we get close without being noticed?"

And then be forced to kill everyone...again.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry about how it works, it's difficult to explain and something of a trade secret. Suffice to say that it will render the saltpeter useless in a way that isn't immediately obvious. You don't even have to ruin the whole delivery, just five barrels will be enough. As for getting close enough, you'll have to figure that out yourselves. Sneak aboard, make a diversion, bribe someone, whatever makes the most sense to you."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-17 at 06:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm okay with job. Although, we might need to plan how to sneak those vials in...

Tyr said to the others in a whisper.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Again, the question, are my ends worth his means? Ending the bulk of the slave trade would be a tremendous accomplishment, especially if the conditions are as terrible as they say. But the means...sneaking, destruction, more death? Yes...yes it is. Erastil watch over us, let my decision be just.

Jon's eye harden as he makes his choice.
    "The method will depend on the circumstances when we get there. When do we leave?"

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huril shrugged, "I'm fine with it. Not lookin forward to killin more folks, but hey, jobs a job." He affirmed with the rest of his team.
    ~ZA

13. - Top - End - #403

"We may be able to accomplish this without killing." Says Genevieve. "We just have to be prepared to work with what we find there. And I am in, of course. But before we confirm, we should check payment."

She smiles back at Li. "You did mention that this offer would be good for those desirous of coin. Of course, looking around, I see that you can offer other things of interest to us as well. What are you willing to put on the table, sir?"

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Li flashes a thin, lopsided smile as you begin to agree to his proposal, "yes, the matter of compensation. I'm afraid that I can't be quite as generous as Nordham with gold, but I can offer certain other incentives. My associates and I deal with gunpowder weapons, among other things; if you successfully complete my tasks, I'll offer you each a thousand gold and the opportunity to buy one item each from my inventory at cost. You need not pick an item immediately either, the offer will remain open."

Spoiler
    Show
    at cost = at the crafting cost, magic items included

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

I do like that incentive, at cost. I think he makes a great bargain or at least till we see who we fight, the tougher the foes the more average the bargain.
    Tyr said with smile to his allies.

16. - Top - End - #406

BlueKnightGuy

Knew that Nordham was ripping us off. Oh well, having an alchemist do all of this might be good. And this deal sounds a bit better. But I don't want to be surprised again. And if the mission goes south, we might have to fend for ourselves for a little while and knowing the land might be nice...Mmmmm. You see Mika close her eyes for a moment deep in thought.

"You are right, the opponents make all of the difference. But I see no problem in seeing the caravan out. Oh, but do you have any idea of what it will be like out from the city? Anything that we should look out for. Like any buildings or land belonging to this House Henderthane, normal Skraeling points, or animal caves. In fact, a map of the country side might be helpful."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

"If you want a map or a better description of the danger, you'll have to ask the boatmen. They know the river far better than I."

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Jon stands, posture firm. He nods to Li. "When do we leave?"

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

"First light." He responds, "Now, if there's nothing else, I sugest you get your rest."

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Jon nods, waiting to see if his companions have anything else to say. If not, he heads to the bar for a pair of shots before heading to bed, again checking his weapons before laying down.

"See you all in the morning." Deadeye protect us, let this be the right thing.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

@mika
    Spoiler
    Show
    now would be a good opportunity to deal with your personal quest

22. - Top - End - #412

Genevieve nods, and follows the others back to the inn (After recollecting her equipment.)

"This promises to be interesting. Let us hope we can accomplish it efficiently, the reward is great."

23. - Top - End - #413

Huril leaves with the others, re-arming and armoring himself before leaving, missing the feeling of having his blade on his hip, despite it having only been missing for a short time.

"Sure enough, I guess I'll take it easy tonight, too."
    ~ZA

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I might do a little drinking, celebrate the new job. Or maybe because I had to leave early last time we drunk.

Tyr said.

25. - Top - End - #415

BlueKnightGuy

To Bhaakon
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is one reason why I asked for the map but I did just realize something. And the answer to this will greatly help her goal .

"Sounds like a....wait..." Mika goes to walk out with everyone else but stops for a moment and turns back to Li "Sorry for the stupid question, but why are you paying them so much for the saltpeter? I heard that this entire continent is brimming with saltpeter mines. So then why are you paying House Henderthane so much for the saltpeter? Did the governor really give House Henderthane the only contract to mine the saltpeter? Or are there other groups or nations that are mining the saltpeter?"

And more importantly, if you or Nordham would want us to 'take care of' those other groups also.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

"Henderthane is the only source, but they're so inept in their mining that they barely have any left to sell after turning over the government's quota," says Li. "Sometimes few tons show up on the black market, but my sources tell me it's the rake off of the mine manager or some other corrupt Henderthane agent."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

@Mika
    Spoiler
    Show
    if you have anything else to negotiate with Li, you can do it in PMs or at a later date. I'm going to advance the game now.

The terms agreed, you return to the in for food, drinks, and rest before your journey. You wake before dawn and head back to the warehouse.

You arrive just as a pair of dock workers are wrestling the last of the heavy chests of cargo aboard the small keel boat, about thirty feet long. It's manned by captain Kit, a small, leathery-skinned middle-aged human woman, and a half-dozen rowers (all, you soon discover, related to the captain).

There's little in the way of creature comforts aboard, and too many oars for the small crew--the captain makes it clear that you'll be expected to take turns at the sweeps when the wind dies. "The Splinter [the keel boat's name] is too small for sight-seers," she explains.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-24 at 03:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Jon takes a moment to look the ship over before boarding. "How well do you expect the winds to hold for the journey?"

He will take his turn at the oars as needed without complaint, though he makes frequent check of his surroundings to try and spot any ambush.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+4)[19]
    profession sailor (1d20+4)[14]

29. - Top - End - #419

Genevieve nods to Captain Kit, and leans against the foc'sle as she waits for the boat to begin its voyage.

30. - Top - End - #420

Huril takes a spot on the bench, ready to row with the others, figuring time would roll on by quicker if he had something to do, other than fidget with his sword and keep his eyes out for danger.

profession sailor: (1d20+6)[9]
    ~ZA