New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

"I understand. Thanks for letting us know about that. Hope we meat up again with happy news." Mika says before leaving Li.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right no I can't think of anything else to say without making a mistake.

At the ship, Mika looks at the ship up and down for a moment. The caption's words make Mika sigh a little. If only I had a bit more experience.

"Alright I can do some. When it is needed. But let us see if that is not even needed." Mika touches the mast, removing the breeze from herself and placing it on the mast. She has the breeze blow only in the direction that the ship sails in. It is a bit. Might mean a bit less rowing than what would be needed.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

I can row I guess if need be. How far a journey if this anyway?
    Tyr said as he got took his spot on the bench, rowing if he is needed.
    Profession Sailor - (1d20+3)[5]

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

"The wind's reliable in the flats during the day, but the river meanders enough that it's not always going the right way. Once we hit the hills, it'll mostly be rowing. All told, we should be there in four days," Captain responds to Jon and Tyr. She forces a smile at Mika's spell, as it barely ruffles the pennant atop the mast.

The last of the cargo secured, the Splinter sets off. The first day is uneventful, as you cruise through the relatively tame countryside around the city. The river current is nearly slack this close to the sea, and a stiff breeze pushes the boat along at a decent clip. You pass a handful of fishing villages and the occasional homestead, but these quickly thin out and disappear by the afternoon.

Come evening the captain grounds the boat on a sandy island in the center of the river. The sailors set up camp and prepare a simple stew of dried fish and vegetables. Before you take your watch, the Captain give you an idea of what to look for, "we're far enough out that beasts are a problem here. Gators and worse live in these waters, so don't go skinny-dipping. Boat thieves are rare this far from town, but it's been known to happen. And Skraelings, of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    pick a watch order and roll perception checks

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We have a dearth of darkvision, so I guess watch order doesn't matter too much. Jon will take second.

perception (1d20+4)[23]

Jon enjoys the trip despite the tension of scanning the shores, recalling the occasional sailing trips with his father in his youth. He even takes to whistling a common tune as he leans against the crates and enjoys the sunlight and open air. It's a good country, no matter what we've done here. Have to get away from the city more. Hopefully someday this will all be safe for good people to travel through without heavy guards.

He lends a hand setting up camp and accepts the simple meal with honest thanks before heading to his bedroll. He takes his turn at watch with his blunderbuss in hand.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

Genevieve takes first watch, and spends some quality time staring into the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check says... (1d20+6)[14]
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

6. - Top - End - #426

BlueKnightGuy

Mika volunteers for the third watch of the night. Not much to do but watch the waves come up against the shore. Peaceful...Hope that is all that it is.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d20+3)[17]

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huril takes forth watch, wandering around the small island, unable to stand still for long as he stares out at the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception: (1d20+5)[20]
    ~ZA

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

And I'll make the head...I mean, last watch. I don't know what I meant before.
    Tyr said as he noticed others piped first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, couldn't resist a Voltron reference.
    perception - (1d20+5)[19]

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

@Jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    While pacing down the length of the beached boat for perhaps the thirtieth time, you hear a barely perceptible thud as something hits the hull. Drawing your weapon, you lean over the side to meet the gaze of a bloated corpse bobbing against the Splinter.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Jon wastes no time raising his weapon, then immediately calls out, trying to wake the others. "There's a body in the water! Heads-up! Someone give me a hand, keep your eyes open!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay, I read the post, then didn't have time to answer and never got back to it. I try to stay on top of this stuff too.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-10-27 at 10:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431

Genevieve flails out of sleep, clawing at her rapier before standing, blinking.

She gazes around carefully, pulling out her pepperbox and starting to load it with powder and bullets.

No time to don armor... This could be bad...

12. - Top - End - #432

BlueKnightGuy

Mika jumps from bed. She looks for the body, then around the whole campsite.A body? Is anything else around? Need to move.

After scanning the campsite, she runs over to Jon to try to help with retrieving the body.

Spoiler
    Show

perception (1d20+3)[4]

13. - Top - End - #433

Huril woke up, leaning forward and propping himself up on his elbows, looking around with tired eyes as he shook the sleep out of his head. "I say we leave the damned thing there and get back to sleep," he muttered loud enough for people to hear and roll their eyes as he got to his feet and went over towards the excited Jon.
    ~ZA

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, I say we loot the body...for identification, maybe we can find out who the poor chap was.
    Tyr said quickly. He walked over to help out Jon.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

The body is easily hauled ashore with the aid of a gaff. Whoever he was, the man appears to have been worked over with a blade. A dozen shallow cuts mar his flesh, as well as a disemboweling strike that likely killed him. He's been in the water awhile, as you can tell from the bloated appearance and the extensive gnawing of opportunistic fish.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's see is any of the crew recognize him. Might be a sailor or other local. Looks like who ever did this did it awhile ago, so I guess you all can go back to sleep, unless you can tell more from this poor souls body."

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

You roust the crew to have a look at the body. One recognizes the corpse from one of the many waterfront grog houses in Anchor's End, but can't put a name to the bloated face. The body has the thick calluses of a rower.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    heal check to tell more about what made the wounds [roll]120+4[/roll] Bah, I'll roll in the ooc.

"We can bury him first thing in the morning. For now, I'll finish my watch. Go back to sleep." Jon say a blessing over the body, then continues his rounds, more on edge than before, blunderbuss in hand.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-10-29 at 09:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's inspection of the body suggest that the wounds were made by a long blade, though not a particularly sharp one judging by the slight tearing around the wounds. He's no forensic pathologist, though, and can't pin down a specific type of weapon.

The rest of the night passes peacefully, and the crew helps assemble a cairn for the man out of the many round river stones littering the island.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you've anything you want to do, go ahead. If not, you start upriver once more and you need to roll perception checks.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-29 at 05:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Jon leads a brief funerary service as best he can after helping stack the stone of the cairn, legs soaked from wading into the water to get suitable materials.

After setting off again, he keeps to himself, wondering who the man was and what befell him. Skraelings? They seem indiscriminate over who they attack. Bandits? ...No way to know. Have to see if he knew anyone when we get back to town, let them know where he is buried if nothing else. I fear this won't be the last body we see on this journey.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception(1d20+4)[10]

21. - Top - End - #441

BlueKnightGuy

Mika goes to bed a little difficultly for a while but eventually feel asleep. She awakes for her watch and goes through it without much thought.

When the morning arrives, Mika eats in quiet. She watches the coastline during the ride with interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+3)[9]

22. - Top - End - #442

Taking her turn on the oars, Genevieve's biceps flex with the steady motion. A sheen of sweat covers her neck and abdomen... She's down to a simple chest wrap, since there's no easy way to row with the breastplate on.

Leaning back during a break, she remarks to Mika. "It will be skraelings. That is where my money is at. I have seen many blade wounds but one that dull is rare. Stone, I think."

23. - Top - End - #443

Huril took his turn at the oars again, finding that the manual labor cleared his mind, and time seemed to pass more swiftly when he zoned out for extended periods of time. When he was done rowing, he stood at the stern, looking to the sides of the boat, but mostly just staring into the distance behind them.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception: (1d20+5)[21]
    ~ZA

24. - Top - End - #444

After her shift at the oars is done for the day, Genevieve replaces her armor and watches warily. She occasionally glances up and down, too. Hard experience has taught her to watch all directions...

Spoiler
    Show
    Right, perception is... (1d20+6)[12]

25. - Top - End - #445

BlueKnightGuy

"I wouldn't be that surprised if it was the natives. I am more concerned about why. Do they attack indiscriminately or do they have specific targets. Do they attack only slavers or only mining ships or just everyone. I wish I knew more about this whole continent."

I also wish that I wasn't here. As Mika gives off a small sigh.

She then perks up "Excuse me for a moment Gene." She walks over to the caption and asks with a smile on her face. "Excuse me caption, but I was wondering if you had a map of the continent that I might be able to look at. Or maybe just the waterway or surrounding area would also be good."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

"A map? Nay. The land hasn't been surveyed here, and where it has, the gold claims, it's a jealously guarded secret. There's no need of a chart on the river, though, there's only two directions and I've got all the ports'o'call right here," the captain taps her head.

You sail on through the morning, not touching the oars until mid-afternoon. The river slows and widens, reaching into the forest and forming a great swampy mess at the base of the foothills. Tule grass, cypress, and willows hem you in, nearly forming a canopy over the boat, while the water become stagnant and nearly slack. The fen blocks the wind, forcing you to row through a maze of channels.

It's Huril who spots the abandoned keel-boat, while taking the air between turns at the oars. It's barely visible, grounded deep in the shadows beneath a massive willow. Even to his unpracticed eye, it's obvious that the boat isn't derelict. Everything seems to be in good order on board, though there's no signs of life.

27. - Top - End - #447

"Hey, cap, we got something here, little boat, not crashed," Huril said, pointing to the boat hiding off to the side of the river, leaning on the rail and out a bit, trying to get a better look as they roll up the river.
    ~ZA

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

The Captain has the boat turned around, and orders a cautious approach to the grounded vessel. "AHOY!!!" bellows the Captain, to no response. "Looks like she drifted here and got stuck in the growth; it's not even tied off. There's nothing but swampy mush about the place, so no reason to stop. Maybe she broke loose of her moorings at one of the mining camps upstream."

Perception DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though subtle, there are signs of a struggle: fresh gouges in the planking, a cut bow line, and some upended equipment. As you move closer, you catch a whiff of rotting flesh.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-10-31 at 06:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+4)[11]

Jon looks at the small boat and shrugs. "Could be anything...do you think it is connected to the man we found in the river? Captain, I would like to take a closer look, if possible." Might give us a hint as to what befell him, if it is his. If not, little harm done...unless it's an ambush.

"Let's keep our eyes open."
    He keeps his blunderbuss close at hand, eyeing the surrounding area.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-10-31 at 09:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

"You can look as closely as you like, because I'm invoking my right to salvage. On the river is the same as the sea: a derelict vessel is free for the taking."

At the captain's signal the crew brings the Splinter alongside, hooking the ship and then tying it securely. Throughout this procedure, it becomes increasingly obvious that something isn't right: upended equipment, gouges in woodwork, blood spatter, and cut lines all suggest a battle. Then there's the rotten stench filtering up through the deck boards. "Just victuals gone bad, I'm sure," the Captain speculates unconvincingly.