New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

Jon is unconvinced. "Blood on the deck implies something worse than rotting food, even without bodies floating downstream. If this was the site of struggle, we should be fine. If this was left here intentionally..." He again scans the surround, looking up and down the trees. Erastil protect us.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+4)[8]

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+3)[10]

Mika considers boarding the ship for a moment as she looks over the ship, It is covered in blood and battle scars and he wants to salvage the ship. I do not trust this.

"We can let them salvage it, but I do not want to board that ship. I just don't trust it."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Genevieve grins, and leaps across to the deck of the derelict.

"Come on then! Let us plunder this vessel."

Drawing rapier, she waits for the others to cross over.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception again, with mah one eye... (1d20+6)[25]
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Jon joins her, blunerdbuss in hand, crossing over somewhat more reservedly. "Investigate, let us investigate this vessel. Besides, I believe the captain has already claimed rights to it." Sigh...sometimes I wonder who the savages are...
    Last edited by stack; 2011-11-01 at 09:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #455

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Jon joins her, blunerdbuss in hand, crossing over somewhat more reservedly. "Investigate, let us investigate this vessel. Besides, I believe the captain has already claimed rights to it." Sigh...sometimes I wonder who the savages are...
    Genevieve snorts.

"Condescending talk wins you no friends. Not everyone is holy warrior, and not everyone should be. Come on, let us help these good folk earn a bonus so that their families eat well from the profits gained here."

"Besides, it is less boring than watching the river go by."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

The signs of struggle are more pronounced as you move aboard, including a slick of blood leading up and over the vessel's railing. Genevieve leans over the side to see if there's a body in the water, instead finding a bronze hatchet, sized for a creature much smaller than a human, embedded in the hull.

The deck providing little else of interest, you are drawn to the hatch leading into the hold. It is closed, but not secured, and the stench drifting up through the gaps is unmistakably that of rotting flesh.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-01 at 06:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

To Genevieve as they board "One does not have to be a 'holy warrior' to find excessive eagerness in claiming the posessions of the murdered unseemly."

(Assuming Genevieve shows everyone the weapon) Small bronze weapon...not skraelings. It would be our luck to have the new world be full of goblins and kobolds. "Captain, do you know of any who use such weapons?

Jon moves toward the hatch. "May want to stand back, this will be...pungent." He opens the hatch and braces himself for the sights and smells.

Spoiler
    Show
    figured he has good saves in case of disease or nausea.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

"As far as I know, the only metal workers here come from Avistan, and I don't see why they would favor bronze over good steel. But Arcadia's a big place, and barely explored this far from the coast." The Captain answers.

Jon reaches down and heaves the hatch aside, revealing a steep stair disappearing into the darkness of the boat's shallow hold. As predicted, a fetid miasma rolls forth, washing over those crowded around with an almost physical impact. One of the rowers who came over to secure the vessel sprints for the rail, spewing his last meal into the river.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you go down, roll DC 10 fortitude save to avoid nausea. You only have to pass it once.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-01 at 08:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huril hops gingerly onto the boat, following the others towards the hatch, drawing his sword in preparation for whatever lay ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    fort:(1d20+6)[22]

The smell of the place reminded him of some bars he used to frequent, the stench of vomit and urine and stale ale were not foreign to him.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2011-11-01 at 09:41 PM.
    ~ZA

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    fort save (1d20+10)[19]

perception (1d20+4)[14]

"Does anyone have a light?"
    Jon waits for a response, then heads down, hopefully with illumination.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Mikka knows the light cantrip, it would be helpful. If not, did anyone bring a torch, everburning or otherwise?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

One of the ship's lanterns is removed from its bracket, hastily lit, and passed to Jon.

The paladin gingerly climbs down the steep stair, pausing at the bottom when his boots crunch on the chitinous remains of hundreds of dead insects littering the floor. The dim light of the lantern illuminates a cramped space devoid of cargo. A half dozen empty hammocks hang limply between support beams, but only two of the footlockers under them are closed and latched. Near the bow, about thirty feet forward of the hatch, a bloated, corpulent form can be seen hunched over a desk. A meandering trail of blood drops leads to the body.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-01 at 10:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462

Genevieve clambers down into the hold, lantern in one hand, rapier in the other. Her eye darts back and forth, taking in the scene.

And her nose wrinkles.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude! (1d20+5)[10]

Fortunately, as a veteran of countless battles, this is nothing to her hardened stomach.

She tells herself that until her gorge settles.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2011-11-01 at 10:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Jon struggles to keep the torch steady as he inspects the hold. "All these insects...where they attackers...or cargo?" He keeps his breath shallow in an attempt to ensure his breakfast stays where he put it.

"Anyone want to check those two footlockers? I'll check the desk. When we are done, we can get this man topside for a proper burial."

He steps gingerly toward the corpse, trying to see if there is anything on or in the desk to shed light on the mystery.

14. - Top - End - #464

"I'll give 'em a look," Huril said as he slid into the hold, crunching bugs beneath his boots. He made his way towards the foot lockers, doing his best to step on as few of the dead bugs as possible.
    ~ZA

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Jon creeps forward, bending slightly every few paces to avoid cracking his head on boat's skeleton of beams and braces. Beads of sweat run down his face and drip off his nose after only a few moments in the fetid, sweltering atmosphere of the hold.

The body at the desk was obese in life, but decomposition has inflated the bruise-colored bag of skin to inhuman proportions. Fine clothing, copious gold jewelry, and a fat pouch hanging off one hip mark the man as the boat's owner. Blood pools under his chair, having leaked from a stab wound in his gut.

On the desk before the man is a trading ledger, but the last page is filled with script instead of figures. The letters start cramped and neat, but grow in size and crudeness before ending abruptly. It reads:

They came in the night, the little demons that swarmed over the town and killed them all. No idea who they were or where they came from. They weren't skraelings, that's for damned sure, but they were just as crazy. Merl and I fought them off the ship and cut the mooring lines, but not before we both took gut wounds. He died straight off and I dumped him overboard.

They threw something on the deck. I heard it shatter, but I don't know what was in it.

I can smell the town burning.

Something is crawling around the hold.

Tell my famil...

It trails off into an indistinct scribble.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-02 at 07:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Huril finds a few changes of clothing and personal effects in the chests, as well as two bags of gold totaling 100 coins.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-02 at 07:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's face goes pale as he reads the note, though it is hard to tell in the present lighting. "Everyone...we may have a problem."

He gathers the group and the captain back on deck and shares the contents of the note quickly. He then turns to the captain. "Did you know this man? Any idea what town he refers to? Because if your destination has been razed, that changes the complexion of the journey. I suspect the insects where what was referred to at the end, so we have small, bronze-weapon wielding creatures who attack madly and unleash hordes of insects."

His brow furrows as he weighs his own words. "I vote we press on and see if our destination is intact, if there are survivors, and look for any clue as to what is attacking and why."

18. - Top - End - #468

Genevieve rubs her jaw, and exits the hold wordlessly before hopping back to the original ship.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

As Jon withdraws the ledger from the dead man's grasp, his hand brushes against the rotten flesh. The corpse convulses, and the paladin jumps back with the book in hand, fearing that undeath has claimed the body. The truth is, in some ways, much worse: the dead man's flesh literally crawls with untold thousands, perhaps millions, of larvae.

A writhing mass of maggots pours out of the corpse's every orifice, then rip through the skin completely to burst forth in a pulsating wave of pale flesh.

DC 15 Knowledge (nature)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This appears to be a rot grub swarm, but smaller and a bit sparser than the stories you've heard. Anyone touching the swarm is liable to be infested with the deadly vermin, and eaten from the inside out in short order if the grubs are not quickly burned away.

Map and initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

The swarm spent its turn extricating itself from the body, so everyone can take their first round actions before it goes again

Labeled by first initial. Mika and Tyr are on deck, and may enter the hold as a move action.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-02 at 09:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Jon drops the book as he steps back, leveling the blunderbuss, firing from the hip and the seething swarm. "Get back, some are still alive." The shot is deafening in the enclosed space.

Spoiler
    Show
    grit for focused shot, 15'cone on the swarm. I assume that the swarm will take full damage since it's an area attack. Though normally you roll for each target in the AOE, the swarm is only one target.

5' step to F-2
    1 grit spent for focused shot
    attack (1d20+5)[10](15) (includes the -2 for scatter)
    damage [roll]1d8+4[roll]

21. - Top - End - #471

Huril's flesh crawls at the sight of the bloated corpse exploding into a swarm of wriggling maggots. Swallowing his disgust, he darts forward, around Jon, after the blast from his gun, slicing at the mass of insects, wondering just how he was supposed to slay this thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to G2 and attack.
    to hit: (1d20+10)[20]
    damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    ~ZA

22. - Top - End - #472

At the hatch, Genevieve pauses and looks back at the ripping noise, then swears as the maggots cascade out. She glares at her rapier... Useless against this, and puts it away.

The contents of her OTHER hand, however....

"The lantern! Shoot it!"

She hurls the oil-filled lantern in her hand at the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[26] to get it in the middle of the maggots...
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2011-11-02 at 11:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473

BlueKnightGuy

The sound of gun shot makes Mika jump to her feet and she then runs over to the stairs and begin to descend. She quickly grabs her mouth to try to block the smell in the air. "What is happening? Why did yoAAAGGHHH!" Mika says as she gets a sight of the bugs.

Spoiler
    Show

standard action to cast mage armor
    move action down the stairs
    Fortitude against the nausea (1d20+3)[14]

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps struggling with a longstanding etomophobia, Tyr stares, slack-jawed, from the top of the ladder.

Thankfully Genevieve proves more decisive, cleverly tossing her lantern into the heart of the mass of ravenous maggots. Through either a spark of divine inspiration or pure dumb luck, the makeshift grenade flies through Jon's blunderbuss blast, shattering the lantern and spraying the swarm with a bug-blistering mixture of flaming oil and hot lead.

Spoiler
    Show
    lamp oil works like alchemist fire (1d6 per round, 2 rounds, with a x1.5 bonus for AoE damage vs swarms), for future reference, though you usually have to spend time preparing a proper fuse. I'll rule of cool it this time and roll the damage OOC

Huril rushes into the gap created by the blast, but his dazzling scimitar skills have no discernible effect. For every hundred bugs he fillets, a thousand more take its place.

Though obviously thinned by Genevieve and Jon, the remaining grubs surge forward to envelop the nearest of the companions, biting and burrowing into living flesh

@Huril
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 damage. DC 15 reflex save or become infested, taking 2 Con damage (plus more each turn until someone cuts them out, burns them out, or you die)

@Jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    6 damage. DC 15 reflex save or become infested, taking 2 Con damage (plus more each turn until someone cuts them out, burns them out, or you die)

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

The light blue is where the swarm overlaps we/ PCs.

24 hours for everyone's next actions.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-03 at 04:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475

"MERDE!" Genevieve spits, as the swarm still struggles. "I am out of lanterns. Do what you can, run if you must, I shall return with more oil."

She climbs up to the top deck, and waves frantic arms at the other boat.

"Oil flasks! Quickly! Oil flasks!"

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Jon loads his blunderbuss, seeing that his blade would be of no use here and assuming the same of his revolver. He grits his teeth as the worms burrow into his skin, nearly biting through his tongue in an effort to stay focused on loading.

Spoiler
    Show
    don't think he can do much else this round other than load as he is wearing the rig to quick draw/drop the blunderbuss.

reflex (1d20+9)[10]
    Last edited by stack; 2011-11-03 at 10:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

The loading complete, Jon quickly touches a glowing had to his wounds. "Mika, fry them!"

Spoiler
    Show
    swift to lay hands (1d6)[2]
    Go ahead an catch Jon in your burning hands, it might help get his infestation out, and healing HP damage is easier than CON damage.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-11-04 at 06:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

BlueKnightGuy

Seeing her allies get covered in the swarm makes Mika hesitate slightly before she releases her magic. "Oh, God. If I electrocute them then I will hit you!" But with Jon's command she views it best to do it any way. So she releases a torrent of electricity towards the swarms

Spoiler
    Show

5ft step forward.
    burning hands directly forward hoping that they grubs will get off of Jon's and Huril's bodies.
    Reflex DC 16 causes half damage
    damage (3d4+1)[8] electric damage

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex (1d20+9)[11]

Jon twists, trying to keep the infestation nearer the blast while keeping his center of mass out of it as much as possible.

30. - Top - End - #480

Huril lets the blast wash over him, though he had kept them from burrowing into him, he was not enjoying the feeling of the blighted things all over him. After feeling the lightning hit him, he moved back, trying to step out of the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex: (1d20+8)[22]
    Five foot step to F3 and attack wildly.
    to hit: (1d20+10)[23]
    damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    ~ZA