New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[5]

second round of fire damage from the lantern

Mika's wave of lightening washes over the swarm, instantly turning untold thousands of grubs extra-crispy. Jon feels his infestation whither and die, but he and Huril are still nearly knee-deep in the mass of biting maggots. The bugs roll towards Mika, but hesitate, not wishing to abandon their already-enveloped meals.

@jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 damage, DC 17 reflex save or re-infested and 1 con damage

Huril's continued frenzy of scimitar slashes are technically impressive, but prove useless against a foe with no vitals to pierce or limbs to severe.

@Huril
    Spoiler
    Show
    4, DC 17 reflex save or infest and 3 con damage

Up on deck, the crew jumps into action, hastily unhooking and shoving lanterns in Genevieve and Tyr's hands. Back on the Splinter, one of the crew emerges from the hold with two sticks of the high-test blasting powder you're shipping upriver.

@Gen, Tyr
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've each got a lit lantern. If you wait a round, you'll each have the explosives as well. Whether you want to dip in to the cargo you're supposed to be guarding is up to you.

Meanwhile, the Captain has produced a well-worn cutlass from her belt, and gets busy severing the lines linking the two boats.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: That "3" in Huril's square is a typo.

I'll give you until Monday for the next round, since Lost Demiurge is out until some time tomorrow and Starbuck is MIA (I'm going to PM him and see what's up)
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-05 at 07:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Gritting his teeth until it feels his muscles will burst, Jon tries to stamp out the approaching swarm to prevent re-infestation while healing himself and readying the blunderbuss to ignite the hopefully soon to be incoming lanterns. He would call for them, but he is in no condition to speak intelligibly without belying his image.

Spoiler
    Show
    swift to lay hands (1d6)[6] on self

reflex (1d20+9)[28]

ready action to blast the swarm/laterns when thrown

attack swarm (1d20+5)[23]
    damage (1d8)[2]

attack lantern (if needed)(1d20+5)[25]
    damage (1d8)[3]

3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"It isn't enough power...GENE, TYR WE NEED THE LANTERNS!" Mika yells up the ladder as she releases another burst of electricity towards the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show

move action to get away from the swarm to B2
    cast burning hands forward DC 16 causes half damage
    damage (3d4+1)[9]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh, stupid little insects! Here is my lantern, guys.
    Tyr said as he throw the lantern at the swarm of bugs into Jon's gun blast.

Spoiler
    Show

The oil should make the current lamp fire from last turn keep going so I don't need a fuse, right?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Genevieve nods to Tyr then waits with her hand outstretched for the stick of blasting powder.

"Get out of the hold! We're going to blow it!"
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Things were not going well, and as it was, he couldn't do anything but feed the swarm. It was time to go. Huril turned and ran towards the steps out of the hold, trying his best to ignore the horrid feeling of being eaten alive by the thrice-damned maggots.

Moving out of the hold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Save: (1d20+8)[13] vs 17
    ~ZA

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Mika backs away, releasing another sheet of lightening into the mass of maggots and Huril, who bolts through the spell and out of the hold. The jolt pains him, but he can feel the infestation of grubs whither and die as he reaches daylight.

Jon stays behind, taking aim as Tyr hurls another lantern at the leading edge of the swarm. The paladin's blunderbuss fires, sutting another swath through the bugs with hot lead and burning oil.

Though much thinned, the worms continue their assault on Jon, wriggling against armor and clothes as they try to reach the flesh beneath

@Jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 damage, DC 17 reflex save or 1 con damage

Up above a stick of blasting powder is tossed to Genevieve, how easily snags it in her outstretched hand.

@Genevieve
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a long fuse attached, but you can bite it to length as a free action. Just say how many rounds you want to give the others to escape the hold when you toss it.

Edit: forgot the map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-07 at 06:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex (1d20+9)[21]

Hearing the warning, Jon stomps through the swarm, heading to the exit of the hold, though not before ushering Mika ahead. "Go, I'll follow. Blast them again if they get on me." His face shows strain, both from concealing the pain and overcoming the growing weariness.

9. - Top - End - #489

BlueKnightGuy

"Won't mind leaving at all." Mika scampers up the ladder after releasing one more burst of electricity to try to distract the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to miss Jon with burning hands since there are no grubs on him.
    cast burning hands forward DC 16 causes half damage to save
    damage (3d4+1)[12]
    move action to get to the deck.

10. - Top - End - #490

Genevieve's eye analyzes the stick, then she nods.

Champing on the fuse, she spits the extra onto the deck. Then she lights the stick from her lantern's flame. It sputters, and she watches it closely, making sure the fuse timing is right...

"Jon. 12 Seconds! No more!"

She hurls it into the hold, then quick-draws her cockatrice gun, waiting...

Spoiler
    Show
    I cut the fuse to 3 rounds. It'll take at least one round for Jon to get clear.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2011-11-07 at 11:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Jon stomps and shakes his legs, a dance that might be funny in other circumstances, in a successful attempt to dislodge the worms before they can dig in to his skin. His decision to stay in the swarm holds the grubs' attention as Mika releases another sheet of lightening, then scrambles up on deck.

@jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    3 damage , reflexDC 17 or 2 con damage

Meanwhile, Genevieve calls a warning and tosses a lit stick of blasting powder into the hold. The tightly packed little sausage rolls along the planking towards Jon and the bugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[3] for second round of burning oil

No map. It's the same as the last, but without Mika
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-08 at 06:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492

Genevieve kneels and sticks out a hand for Jon to grab onto, offering to help him up the ladder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holding action until he goes. Then helping him up and immediately jumping to the other boat.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I had ment for Jon to just delay his move till after

reflex (1d20+9)[24]

Jon follows Mika up the steps, never so glad to see daylight (and a lack of insects). He quickly shakes off as many as he can before healing himself again. His eyes betray a weariness that he tries to hide. He only rests momentarily before following the others back to the other ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    lay hands (1d6)[5]

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

The Captain has finished slashing through the ropes binding the vessels together, but you easily leap the widening gap and get clear. The explosion isn't a fiery inferno consuming the other boat, but instead a dull thud that hits you like a gut punch. Several hull slats blow out, and the hatch over the hold is launched up in the air, lodging in a tree across the channel. A splattering of grubs erupt from the now open hatch and rain down on the Splinter, but they've been pulped by the blast. Almost immediately the other boat settles into the silty swamp bottom.

"What was that?"
    Stammers the Captain as you recover.

XP
    Spoiler
    Show
    400 XP each
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-08 at 09:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Jon sits heavily on the deck, his blunderbuss hanging from its harness. Hr wearily flicks away the last grubs squirming across his pant legs. He glances to the captain. "Trouble. Deadly trouble. I'm not certain there will be anyone we want to see when we arrive. Wherever that ship sailed from, they were overrun.
    We have small, bronze-weapon wielding creatures
    who attack madly and unleash hordes of insects. Definitely not friendly"

His brow furrows as he weighs his own words. "I vote we press on and see if our destination is intact, if there are survivors, and look for any clue as to what is attacking and why."

Spoiler
    Show
    at least we got 200 GP

16. - Top - End - #496

"Horrible, that is what that was." Agrees Genevieve. Then she gestures at Mika, Jon, and Huril. "Strip. Check each other for grubs. Mika, come below decks if you wish and I shall check you. No sense in dying from an un-noticed passenger."

17. - Top - End - #497

"The damned things...I can't help but feel they are still burrowing inta my flesh," Huril said with a shudder as he began removing his clothing, shaking it out over the rail, watching the grubs fall into the water with another shiver. He was not hesitant with removing anything he was wearing, though he visibly winced as he saw the dozens of spots where he had been eaten.
    ~ZA

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

"Overrun? Gods. Best not tarry here. The first of the mining camps is only a few miles upstream, if it's still there," says the Captain with a shudder. "it's just a small camp, though, not our destination." She quickly recovers her commanding demeanor, and sets the crew to work clearing the deck of grubs and other debris.

The crew rows for the remainder of the afternoon, leaving the injured in your group to rest and the healthy to keep out a keen watch. The miles slip away uneventfully as you emerge from the swamp and enter the rolling foothills of the ore-rich mountain range. The sun has nearly disappeared behind one of those hills when the first settlement comes in to view: a few ramshackle wooden buildings amid dozens of tents. There are no people to be seen, and the lanterns hung to light the one real street are dark. A few pilings have been driven into the shore line to tie up boats. The captain, unnerved by the deserted settlement, looks to you for a cue.

19. - Top - End - #499

BlueKnightGuy

After going down and checking herself for the grubs, Mika is relieved to see that none have gotten into her clothes. Returning to the deck, Mika keeps her eyes open to the shoreline. Mika is distressed at seeing the ghost town. "I do not like this at all. But...we should look into this shouldn't we? It might be important to either villages further down the river or to the main port city back there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot the name of the city.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Jon modestly crosses to the other side of the ship for a thorough de-grubbing before re-donning his armor and checking his weapons. He quickly falls asleep, weary from the drain of the bugs.

He wakes as they near the town, hearing the murmers, and looks over the ghost town, squinting to see in the dieing light. "Looks deserted. Perhaps we should wait until morning. If these new creatures are here, they may have an advantage in the dark. I don't like waiting, but it may be best to go at this full strength."

Spoiler
    Show
    says the guy with only 1 lay hands and a few points of CON damage. Can't wait to get lesser restoration. Should buy a scroll.

21. - Top - End - #501

Huril slept like a log below deck, barely registering that they had gotten somewhere important as he strapped on his sword and slipped into his armor. The rest did him good, but he still felt like he had been run over, and stumbled his way onto the deck, realizing what the others were talking about. He leaned heavily on the rail as he too looked to the small shanty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did that rest get us any hp back? Or con?
    ~ZA

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

@Huril, Jon
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll fudge it and say that you got 8 hours of rest. So you heal 3 HP (1 per level) and 1 point of Con.

23. - Top - End - #503

"Non". Geneveieve says, quietly but firmly. "If they have an advantage in the night, then we have no way to hide the boat. All they would have to do is throw another grub bomb up on deck, to turn this vessel into a floating graveyard. By going out first, we draw them out to attack US. And we have the ability to run if we must."She studies the water below, then grabs a line.

"If you prefer to stay here and rest, I am unharmed. I am not stealthy, but I can at least scout a little and return."

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

"We should not go alone. If you are intent on diving in, I will come as well."

His weapons loaded and ready, he climbs down to (the dock? Do we have a launch? Rather not have wet powder.)

25. - Top - End - #505

"I'm not feelin' too keen on the idea, might fall over just walkin' 'round out there," Huril said, looking at the others, his eyes tired. "Maybe if we had a bow I could use, I could at least put that to some use," he continued with a shrug, not wanting to shirk his responsibilities too much.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2011-11-10 at 10:21 AM.
    ~ZA

26. - Top - End - #506

BlueKnightGuy

"Jon is right, we should not go alone. We will have a better chance with all of us together if we get into a problem. Ummm...Should we take another explosive with us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Jon and Huril got 8 hours, can I get 8 hours to refresh my spells?

27. - Top - End - #507

"If you want to stay, that is fine." Genevieve says to Huril. "We are not going to fight, merely to go and see. So no explosive this time... If there are more grubs we flee from them."

She sighs. "Merde. I really must rent a priest. Perhaps at the next port of call..."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Jon and Huril got 8 hours, can I get 8 hours to refresh my spells?
    Anyone who needed it got some rest on the last leg, so yes

Eventually your urgings, and Genevieve's blunt logic, convince the Captain to nudge the boat to one of the pilings and tie up. Huril rummages through the Splinter's weapons locker and manages to dig out a serviceable light crossbow and a quiver of 20 bolts amid the battered cutlasses and harpoons, though the Captain exacts a promise to return them.

As you hop ashore in the still evening air, the light of a fire flickers to life in the top floor of the largest building in town.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-10 at 07:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509

BlueKnightGuy

"Light...Guess there might still be some people around. Even if it is the same group of people that attacked this place. Shall we try to investigate quietly?"

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Jon hops down to the dock, weapon in hand. As they cautiously move forward, he too sees the light. "It may be survivors, or it may be the attackers. If they lit a fire just as we landed...could be either, though it may mean that the invaders do not have superior night vision. It may mean they now we are here. Let's proceed carefully."

Spoiler
    Show
    stealth (1d20+2)[19]