New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

Genevieve brings up the rear, cockatrice gun at the ready. She tries to be quiet, but old injuries and metal armor are foes to that goal...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[12] for stealth...
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

You enter the building silently, finding a saloon decorated in a bewildering combination of slapdash rustic and and gaudy baroque that promises both the finest Corentyn brandy and nightly drunken brawls. Pools of blood mar the floor's rough planks and fine rugs, but there are no bodies to be seen.

Jon and Mika make it up the stairs, finding a sliver of warm light leaking out beneath the door to the largest suite in the place, when Genevieve's sheathed rapier knocks loudly against gilt baluster. You're sure that whoever lit the fire must have heard, but the only sound from beyond the door is the crackle of burning chord wood.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

Well, the know we're here, may as well be direct. Jon touches his hand to the door, the other on his blunderbuss. "Hello? We've come from up river, is anyone here?"

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

The door handle spins and the man inside opens the portal just enough to peek out. He eyes Jon long enough to figure out that he's a non-skraeling human, then tosses the door open the rest of that way.

"Finally, a human. I ain't seen nuttin but rats and flies since I came down from my claim three days ago, and I've been there by my lonesome for nigh on a season. Don't suppose yall got a boat? I'd pay well to be gone from this here ghost town. Name's Ned, by the way, pleased tuh make yer acquaintance."
    Ned extends a filthy hand as the words explode from his mouth.

The room behind Ned is chock full of strongboxes, fine liquors, cured meats, wheels of cheese, silverware, golden candelabras, cut crystal goblets, and anything else of value sized for one man to carry, with the notable exception of weapons. The ax at the man's hip is the only bit of steel in the room.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-13 at 12:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Umm...Hello Ned. Sure I see no problem with getting a ride on the boat if you are willing to pay. But out of curiosity, have you seen any skraelings around here? We were worried that there would be some."

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

"No, missy, none at all. I know that they're around here, spotted a few over the Winter, but I haven't seen anythin' bigger than a rat since I got here." Ned pauses, then continues ominously, "besides, weren't no skraeling that did this, lest twas their younguns. Lots of small tracks around town if you know how to look, some of them in blood."

8. - Top - End - #518

"Very well." Says Genevieve, nodding to Ned. "You came in and found things this way, yes? Is anyone else alive in this town that you know of?"

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

"Have you heard of any other settlements being attacked? We sailed up the river. On the way we found a derelict that was attacked, presumably by the same creatures. It sounded as if there is little left upstream from here."

Jon will help load whatever can be taken to the boat quickly.

"I agree that we should take this man back downstream, but I would also like to scout further, to be able to bring a proper report of the state of the other settlements."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"No, ain't heard nothing. Like I said, been up at my claim since the fall. Didn't even know about this one until I got here."

Ned brightens at the mention of a ride downstream, and begins picking his loot for the most valuable pieces. Eventually he narrows it down to enough gold, goods, and jewelry for the six of you to take in a single trip, barely.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-11-13 at 11:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521

BlueKnightGuy

"Sounds good. Let us head back so you can talk with the captain. So..Ned, where is your claim? Might help us to know where skraelings are moving." Mika packs some of the items into her backpack and carries as much as she can (which isn't much).

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh up in the hill a few days walk south of here. Not much there, really, I was nearly ready to give up when I er, struck the mother lode here."

He helps carry his booty back to the boat, negotiating a stiff fee with the Captain for passage down river (after you finish your delivery, of course). You can examine the rest of the town, rest of the night, or continue talking as you wish.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

What kind of claim yields such ore? Riches and finery...looks more like salvage than anything...or booty. Have we taken in a pirate? Or just an opportunist who has looted an empty town?

He looks the man in the eye, his face stern. "Just what is the nature of your prospecting?"
    Last edited by stack; 2011-11-14 at 08:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524

Genevieve sighs once they return to the boat.

"All right. Let us rest. If we were not jumped out and about, we should be clear for a reasonably safe night. Nonetheless, watches..."

She takes the first.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

"The nature of my prospecting, sir, is to pick up whatever happens to be lyin' on the ground unclaimed. Whoever attacked this place put no stock in gold and finery, so I availed myself. Now if you can find a body-a livin' body-with a legal right to what I've gathered, I'll listen." Ned answers Jon.

@everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're going to rest, roll perception for the watches

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

Jon shrugs. "Very well. The place does appear deserted. Hopefully some survivors escaped. I agree we may as well rest, proceed in the morning. I'll take first watch, if no one else wants it."

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+4)[22]

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

I'll take third watch then. Tyr said agreeing with resting idea.

Spoiler
    Show

perception - (1d20+5)[20]

18. - Top - End - #528

Genevieve spends her watch pacing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception! (1d20+6)[22]

19. - Top - End - #529
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I'll take last watch," Huril said, not feeling in the best of shape still, but hopefully he would soon, or that crossbow might become a mainstay weapon, and that simply wouldn't do.

Spoiler
    Show
    perception: (1d20+5)[11]
    ~ZA

20. - Top - End - #530

BlueKnightGuy

Mika will take any available watch that there is

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+3)[21]

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

In the still night air, Jon, Genevieve, Tyr, and Mika all think they hear something rustling the brush to the north of the town, but nothing ever approaches the boat. Huril hears nothing.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

He shares his observations of the noise in the woods at the change of watch, concerned that they may yet be ambushed. In the morning, he arises and gears himself, joining the others for a quick breakfast and conference. "The sounds in the night...could have been what attacked this place, could be something else. I don't think anyone knows much about the forests much past the settlements. We could chase in after it and try to find out what it was, or we can continue upstream. We are vulnerable here, but it would be wise to know what we are dealing with. Thoughts?"

23. - Top - End - #533

Finishing her morning bath, Genevieve emerges from the river and lets her swimming rags dry in the sun as she listens to Jon. When he finishes she raises a hand.

"They know we are here. I think they wait to see what we do. We should move on. If they decide we are enemies, then they will attack. Going into the jungle would show us to be enemies, and that is not a good place to fight as they know it better than we. This town is also not a good place to fight, they have already cleared it out once and we do not know it well."

"Going on, the worse we risk is them jumping us upriver. So we keep eyes peeled, and go a bit further tonight than planned."

"I think we are perhaps dealing with the skraeling version of goblins. Probably a bit deadlier than the ones we are used to back home."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Gen has the right of it, no sense wandering around in the mud if it ain't gonna turn much up for us," Huril said, agreeing with Genevieve. He didn't want to end up dead out here, and if they were tromping around in the thick of the jungle, it would be difficult to stay at a distance if they could sneak up on him.
    ~ZA

25. - Top - End - #535

BlueKnightGuy

Agreed. There is no need to do anything overly dangerous. Let us not invoke a fight against them anymore than we have to.

Mika then whispers this more quietly to the rest of the group but outside of the range of the crew or caption. "And hopefully we didn't cause this by freeing the slaves. Hope they arn't the ones doing this."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

"The weapons we found on the ship do not look like they are sized for skraelings. If we are unable to find out more, we may need to see if we can peacefully contact the tribes. They may know about the threat we now face. For now, let's head up the river and see what we find." He looks at the flowing water, readying himself for more sights like they found on the derelict.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-11-16 at 10:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Do the tribes all speak Common? I do hope negociations won't have language issues.

Tyr said pondering if they tried the talking way.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Few skraelings know common, particularly this far inland, and the ones that do are mostly slaves.

Not wanting to linger in the ghost town, you shove off at first light and head upstream. As promised, you must row nearly all the time now that you've reached the mountains proper. The captain presses you hard, determined to reach your goal this day and finish the errand as quickly as possible. The river starts to show signed of civilization, and the boat stops just long enough to warn two more small camps and a couple of passing barges as you row upstream.

Finally, an hour after dark, you reach your destination: a ramshackle town of about 30 wooden buildings and easily a hundred tents. The Splinter ties up to an actual dock, just across from a barge that the Captain quietly informs you is your target. A pair of guards with crossbows coolly eye you from positions atop carefully stacked and secured barrels.

"Normally, they'd not be leaving until the day after tomorrow, but who knows what they'll do after they hear the news we bring," says the Captain.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Jon

At least they have not been overrun here. Though that would have had the advantage of getting us out of more slinking and skulduggery. Still, warning them of attack trumps any mission we bear. I hope the others will agree. They seem quite willing. Even though the cause seems just...is this right? And will our employer truly end the slavery, or is that just a lie to ensure our cooperation. Tricking good people may be safer, more reliable that paying bad. But I don't know, he may be sincere...

Jon leans on the side of the ship, eyes a thousand yards away as he ponders. He snaps back to the present. He addresses the others. "I will locate the local guard or militia, inform them of the attack, see if they know anything. You can come with me, scout our mission, or do whatever seems good to each of you."

30. - Top - End - #540

BlueKnightGuy

As the boat approaches the dock and the rowing stops, Mika will put her head down on her arms and look towards the larger ship. As she feints her tiredness (or not so much depending on the amount of rowing done), she will look for any identifiable feature on the crossbowmen (comparable armor, insignia, etc) while trying to seem like she is only trying to catch her breathe. After a few seconds she stands and joins the others. "I think that I will go out and try to find something out about them. So I'm going to go through town and find out what I can." Mika will then head out to the wooden part of the town.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception look for identifiable features (1d20+3)[17]
    Mika is searching for anything that might tell her something about the guards and the ship. such things as...
    1. Are the rooms in the inn taken up by the crew?
    2. Is the crew at the bars?
    3. Is there the village expecting a shipment of saltpeter to come to the barge soon?
    4. Does anyone have a map of inland for sale at a reasonable price?
    ...and anything else that you might think is appropriate.
    Here is a perception check (1d20+3)[17]
    and a diplomacy check (1d20+6)[8]