New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Shadows of Anmer IC

Melchia seems rather passive as the conversation develops. He listens intently to his companions and Hrynn, his hands clasped behind his back. The amount of money he was offering to return the boy was certainly tempting, yet his generosity seemed strangely suspect, bordering on desperate. Melchia figured Zadsa's disciplining and family life were none of his business, but the suggestion that the boy had supernatural gifts intrigued him. Not too long ago he had been a mere boy as well, cursed with strange talents. He was curious to see the nature of Zadsa's abilities; were they magical in nature, or perhaps even psionic?
    He casts a cool glance at Selia and Otrino before speaking again.
    "Come now, Otrino. Mr. Hrynn did not offer to share intimate family details. He has only tasked us with returning his son. Should we happen upon him again, sir, we will certainly keep your offer in mind. I myself wish to interview the boy at some point, with your good graces. Perhaps he needs proper training if he is to gain mastery over any powers he may possess. At any rate, let us not waste more of Mr. Hrynn's time."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

By the time Melchia is done speaking, Chastos Hrynn has recovered all of his smug attitude. "Outstanding. I am sure I won't be disappointed. And now, if you'll excuse me, I will need some sleep before I can resume my business after lunch." He motions to the butler with his hands, and a couple minutes later you're outside Hrynn House.

It's a beautiful early afternoon, and people are chatting and shopping for food in the town centre.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Selia, still brimming with the confidence she seems to have gained while talking to the merchant, immediately turns to Melchia as they leave the building.

What was that about Zadsa having supernatural abilities? You never mentioned that to us, Selia's tone isn't that of one making an accusation, but rather of a curious question and simple statement. You aren't the only one who would be interested in such a thing, you know, she adds.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia's gaze is rather distant, but he seems to come back to reality at Selia's question.
    "It was just a hunch. Evidence was starting to compile. If you recall, he was able to pierce the illusion that the priest could not. Also, Hrynn's own interest in him seems more than merely paternal defense impulses. Zadsa must mean more to him than a simple heir. Lastly, our most recent encounter with the boy triggered a strange... vision. Similar to the dream that led me to the Hrynn household in the first place. I am no oneiromancer, but I would not be so quick to dismiss the significance of dreams these days. Hrynn only confirmed my hypothesis.
    Still, the boy seems safe enough for now. The mysterious presence in the Dark Wood remains of great interest to me."

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

All the talking was beginning to make Rubido antsy. He had noticed ever since he had figured his new combat techniques, he was less focused if he wasn't in combat. Maybe it was simply a way of letting his frustrations vent.

Oh well. "Dark Wood time? Dark Wood time. Let's go, I'm starting to get antsy and it bothers me.
    Last edited by Overlord Rion; 2012-04-09 at 05:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh yay action fun time

You leave Galsaff once again, to enter the dreaded Dark Wood. It is difficult to find your way in it, that's for sure. The grass is tall, the trees cover the sky and the forest is in almost constant shade, save for the rare clearings. The vegetation is clearly that of a warm wet climate, with bulky trees and lush flower plants. Unlike the last time you were near it, however, the wind blows strong and the trees do quite a lot of noise, concealing the unsettling silence that is often found within the Dark Wood.

After about ten minutes of walking, suddenly, one arrow flies toward the group from behind, and lands on Otrino's shoulder. You hear a man scream "Kill them! Kill the adventurers!"

You turn to see a human and an elf. The human wields an exotic weapon, a kusari-gama, and he seems to be holding a large shield made of smoke with his off-hand. The elf has a longbow. They both wear beautiful blue and purple garments with a red moon crescent in the foreground, over light armor.

The human blows some hot smoke toward Melchia, engulfing him. The smoke doesn't hamper visibility, but Melchia loses his concentration for a moment.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 Melchia *compulsion*
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    11 Rubido
    8 S
    4 Selia

Map description (no time to make one ATM): everywhere difficult terrain, plenty of trees to seek cover behind. The human is 30 ft. away, and the elf is just behind him, next to a tree.

Otrino: 4 damage as the arrow pierces your shoulder.
    Melchia needs to make a Will save: (1d20+4)[11] fail: you're compelled to only target the human, if you use any offensive ability or attack. You may otherwise act freely.
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-04-09 at 07:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia was not necessarily surprised that they were being attacked in the Dark Wood, but the nature of their assailants was certainly strange. Barring more hidden enemies, these foes were quite confident to challenge them outnumbered. Melchia steps closer, particularly focused on the human. He fills the air with a familiar smell, and everyone can hear a faint keening in the back of their minds as the area is seeded with disquiet and menace.

Spoiler
    Show

If the ability that targeted Melchia was a spell, psionic power, spell-like ability, or psi-like ability, he would have gotten a +1 to the save from his Illthid Heritage feat, netting him a final total of 12, if that would make a difference.

Regardless, Melchia will move 10 ft. closer or so, so that both enemies are within 20 ft., then manifest Demoralize and expend his psionic focus on Psionic Endowment, filling a 30 ft. radius area around him. All enemies in the area are entitled to a DC 15 Will save or else be shaken for 2 minutes.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

"Arggh!" Otrino half-screams, half-spits as the arrowhead scrapes against his shoulder blade. His layers feel heavy and sticky with altogether too much blood, and Otrino knows one thing above all else: he cannot allow another arrow to hit him. He first takes a good long look at the smoke the human wields against Melchia, and at their livery, then he ducks behind the nearest tree. He takes a moment to encase himself in his invisible armor as he tries to make sense of what he has just seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to a spot that will put a tree in between Otrino and the archer.
    Standard to cast Mage Armor on myself.
    Knowledge (nobility) to identify livery: (1d20+5)[20]
    Spellcraft to identify the smoke: (1d20+11)[18]

9. - Top - End - #489

ClericGuy

Both enemies recoil slightly as Melchia manifests his power. The ranger, immediately realizing the Psion is a threat, quickly shoots two arrows at him. However, both arrows fly wide.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 Melchia *compulsion*
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    11 Rubido <- UP NOW
    8 S
    4 Selia

My d20 rolls this round have been, in order: 2, 3, 7, 1. Lol.

The ability used on Melchia was not anything you listed. Keep reminding me though, I forgot about that feat. For the same reason, Spellcraft isn't able to identify the ability.

Knowledge rolls in the OoC thread.

10. - Top - End - #490

ClericGuy

Rubido, surprised, takes a moment to think about what to do. The human wielding the kusari-gama seizes this opportunity and attacks. He moves forward as much as he can, which is at about ten feet from Rubido. Then he rotates his kusari-gama trying to catch the elf's leg. However, he fails to do so and misses his target.

As the human attacks, Melchia feels the strange compulsion over him fade.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia <- UP NOW

Delay: Rubido

I might just start using a d12 instead of the d20, might have better luck. I'm now missing touch attacks against flat-footed targets.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Selia readies her crossbow and, weaving magical power into her voice, describes the imminent success of her and her allies over their clearly inferior enemies.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take out and load my H. Crossbow, then use Bardic Speech.

(1d20+7)[8]

EDIT: I knew this would happen. Well, it's a good thing I don't actually need to roll Perform when doing this.

Allies have a +1 bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls.

Allies have a +1 bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-04-13 at 01:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492

ClericGuy

Nyar.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    20 Melchia <- UP NOW
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia

Delay: Rubido.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Rubido's reaction to the human was to charge him and try to make sure he would never get another attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Going to charge if I have the room. (1d20+7)[22]Used an inspiration point there. If I had enough room to charge, another +2 needs to be added.

(1d8+3)[11] + (1d6)[3]

14. - Top - End - #494

ClericGuy

Due to the tall grass, it's impossible for Rubido to charge. He moves toward the human, but as he does that, his enemy swings his kusari-gama again, this time managing to grab Rubido's left ankle. Then, with a powerful thrust, he sends the elf to the ground. Quickly, he retracts his weapon and tries to strike again but fails.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia

AoO! You're prone, not in melee, and have a standard action left.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Everybody has a limit to what they could do in one go with a weapon, so Rubido attempts to stand up again, hoping the human couldn't do it again.

16. - Top - End - #496

ClericGuy

Rubido quickly gets back on his feet while the human is readying his weapon again to strike.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    20 Melchia <- UP NOW
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Briefly, a glaze of ectoplasm slides across the kusari-gama wearing human as Melchia stares intently at him, forcing a stab of mind-numbing inaction towards his conscious mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Melchia will use Daze on the human who tripped Rubido, trying to buy him an opportunity to close with him. The human is entitled to a DC 14 Will save or be dazed for 1 round. Don't forget he's taking a -2 to saves thanks to being shaken!

18. - Top - End - #498

ClericGuy

"Aaargh... stop it!" mutters the human as you penetrate his mind. He tries to shake his head without much success.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino <- UP NOW
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia

Want to know a funny thing about RAW? A Dazed creature can take no actions. An AoO, like a 5-foot step, is not an action. So, while Dazed you cannot attack but you can make AoOs. I'm going to hand-waive that, it makes no sense at all. I will still let him take a 5-foot step, that sounds more reasonable.

Also, my rolls are getting low even for a d8's standard.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Banned

Otrino bends his knees up to his chest his wounded back smarting as it slides down the rough bark of the tree. He settles down in a crouch among the roots, relying on the girth of the trunk and the tall grass to protect him as he enters his summoning trance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drop to what is effectively prone (+4 AC v. ranged attacks). Begin casting Summon Monster I to summon a celestial badger, which will appear at the beginning of my next turn.

20. - Top - End - #500

ClericGuy

The human still holds his head, and cannot attack. Meanwhile, the elf nocks another two arrows and lets go against the Psion. The first arrow lands on Melchia's leather protections, but the second strikes him right in the ankle. Quite painful, indeed. The elf chose just the right spot.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S
    4 Selia <- UP NOW

Melchia: 5 damage.

Uh, nevermind about the 5-foot step, he's in difficult terrain as well.

Otrino has AC 22 now... it's even difficult for the elf to see him xD.

21. - Top - End - #501

ClericGuy

Selia thinks about what to do next.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S

Delay: Selia

In general, if you see the player after you is going to miss his turn, feel free to go ahead and post your action.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Selia ends her speech, the effects still lingering on her and the others, firing her crossbow at the bow-wielding elf and moving forwards towards Melchia.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Firing, then moving. Avoid AOOs, if I can't I'll just stop moving before I provoke.

A: (1d20+1)[5]
    D: (1d10+1)[10]

23. - Top - End - #503

ClericGuy

The arrow goes wide, without threatening the elf too much.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    22 Selia
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    20 Melchia
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S

24. - Top - End - #504

ClericGuy

It's the warblade's turn to meditate on the fight.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    22 Selia
    21 Rubido
    20 Melchia <- UP NOW
    17 Otrino
    14 R
    8 S

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Now up, Rubido smiles, as things are about to get nasty.

Well, for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 5-foot, whatever is needed to close. If I can, swing in for an attack.

(1d20+5)[21]

(1d8+4)[9] + (1d6)[1]

26. - Top - End - #506

ClericGuy

As Melchia waits for the right moment to strike again, Rubido quickly stands up, moves up to the human and swings his sword, bleeding his foe severely.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    22 Selia
    21 Rubido
    17 Otrino <- UP NOW
    14 R
    8 S

Delay: Melchia

27. - Top - End - #507
    Banned

Otrino's badger, its stripes and back a bright, almost luminescent gold instead of light blue like last time, materializes next to the elf. From what Otrino can tell, Rubido doesn't need the help just now, Melchia's hurt, and only Selia can bring any force to bear against the elf. It feels odd. Only a few days ago he'd been commissioned to protect General von Barunicz, but since then Hrynn's made it evident that he deserves surveillance and this elf's outright attacked him and the others.

Still, the badger cannot be expected to know any of that, and in response to Otrino's shouted instructions, attacks the elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack!
    Claw 1: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d2+1)[3]
    Claw 2: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d2+1)[3]
    Bite: (1d20+1)[2]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3]

Otrino himself turns around and peek his head out from behind the trunk. There is something he can do for Rubido, even if his badger is off hindering the elf. He points to the ground under the human with the odd weapon and commands it "Xurwk jacion wielg!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Grease, centered to affect the stoner, and not Rubido. The stoner should make a DC 15 Reflex save, or fall prone.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The human sufficiently engaged, Melchia focuses on disrupting the archer, fighting through the pain of his injuries to send a stab of mental pain at the elf.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting Daze on the Elf. DC 14 Will save or be dazed for 1 round.

Don't forget our foes -2 penalty to saves from being Shaken!

29. - Top - End - #509

ClericGuy

While the badger uselessly waves his claws at the ranger, Otrino summons a slippery goo so that the human is in it. It is very effective, as the enemy falls immediately.

The elf, annoyed by Melchia's mind attack, isn't able to shoot more arrows this round. The human, while prone, tries to bring Rubido in the same condition. He succeeds, and manages to hit him too before trying to get away from the grease. As he tries to stand up, however, he leaves his guard open to an attack and the Warblade seizes the opportunity, hitting him again in the same spot and making lots of blood pour from the wound. The enemy fighter loses consciousness.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    22 Selia <- UP NOW
    21 Rubido
    17 Otrino
    16 Melchia
    14 R

Rubido: 3 damage.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Selia fires at the elf, hoping to bring a swift end to the fight.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reloading and firing my heavy crossbow.

A: (1d20+2)[13]
    D: [roll1d10+1[/roll]