New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of Anmer IC

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh.

(1d10+1)[10]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    22 Selia
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    17 Otrino
    16 Melchia
    14 R

Rubido: 3 damage.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Turning his attention to the other, Rubido starts forward, his sword high.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving and attacking if I can. If I can't reach him, same schtick next turn so use the same rolls.

(1d20+5)[13]

(1d8+4)[7] + (1d6)[2]

4. - Top - End - #514

ClericGuy

Rubido quickly stand up and runs to the elf, threatening him with his sword. At that sight, the blue-and-purple clad ranger shouts "I surrender! I surrender! Just don't kill me!" and drops his bow.

Combat over!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pardon the out of initiative action. :)

Rubido: you need a move action to stand up, and another to close distance.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Selia returns her crossbow to its holster as she makes her way over to the downed human. First she would make sure he stayed alive, then aid those who could still stand

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, checking for signs of life. If he's alive, Cure Minor Wounds.

6. - Top - End - #516

ClericGuy

You stabilize the human.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Turning to her allies, Selia first determines whether Melchia or Rubido are more injured and calls upon her internal power. She feels the supernatural energy flowing through her, energizing her as she puts a hand on whichever is sporting greater injuries and sends a pulse of life energy through them.

Remembering Otrino's pained cry at his injury before, Selia heads over to where he is immediately after doing so.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rubido or Melchia, I'm not entirely sure who ended up taking more damage.

CLW: (1d8+1)[2]

8. - Top - End - #518
    Banned

Hearing the elf's call for quarter, and the soft tamping down of the forest undergrowth by his bow, Otrino begins trying to get up. It's harder than normal, since he can only push himself up with one arm, but he manages it. He steps out gingerly from behind the tree and dismisses the badger with a wave of his good hand.

"Wer sind Sie?" he calls as Selia heals the others, still leaning somewhat against the tree. His Elvish is a little rusty. "Identify yourselves!" He stops calling when Selia starts to come over.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia steps forward before the prisoner can answer Otrino. Still bleeding freely from his arrow wound, he seems unfazed by the pain; his voice is quite level and calm.
    "They are apostates; cultists of the Deep, set on overthrowing the old pantheon. I did not make the connection earlier, but they may have a cell back in town."
    He produces one of the blue moon symbols from his pocket.
    "This is one of the symbols used in their worship."
    Melchia turns to the captive elf, holding the symbol before him. His cold, gray eyes meet his unflinchingly.
    "Do you deny your affiliation with this sect?"

Spoiler
    Show

They should still be shaken for a bit longer; they suffer a -2 penalty to skill checks such as Bluff, or checks to resist Intimidate checks. Melchia's perfectly prepared to make some intimidation if needed.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-05-02 at 01:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520

ClericGuy

Now that you're close, you can spot on the vestments some small moon crescent shapes, outlined by the rays of light. The vestments are made of a very beautiful material, maybe silk, and have been obviously crafted by an experienced tailor. They look very good.

The elf, of course, can't deny his affiliation. "Ja klar. I am a Worshipper, a proud one. Like all of us, proud and devout. The old gods have done nothing for us, and this world is doomed to fall. Something better will be reforged out of the Deep."

The elf drops all of his weapons and takes off his armor. "Now, kill me. I deserve to die."

OoC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ack, my German is probably more rusty that your character's Elven. :p
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-05-01 at 06:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"You could have died fighting, a good death."
    Melchia continues to stare at the elf. A base-pitched hum fills the air, seemingly from no where, as he continues to speak.
    "No, I believe you surrendered for a reason, heretic. You want to live, and you are going to tell me why."

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting Attraction on the elf. He's entitled to a DC 14 Will save (-2 penalty for being shaken!) or else become attracted to Melchia for 2 hours, giving him a +4 bonus on interaction skill checks.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Selia, keeping an eye on the surrendered elf, tenses up as Melchia begins to speak but relaxes when he continues. As she turns back to Otrino, she's smiling. Whatever it is she noticed, it seems to have pleased her. Taking a moment to synchronize her internal energy with a note of her voice, Selia places a hand on Otrino's shoulder and sends a pulse of healing energy into him.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    More CLW, hopefully good this time.

(1d8+1)[8]

13. - Top - End - #523

ClericGuy

You feel that the elf doesn't resist your attack. "Yes, I could have died fighting. It seems I am a weak man, then. One more reason to kill me."

The ranger sighs. "Of course, maybe I could still be of some use, if I relayed some information about you to H-" Suddenly, an arrow is shot from the thick forest and penetrates the ranger's skull, killing him instantly.

You can't see or hear anything from the direction of the arrow.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Banned

Otrino's shoulders relax as Selia's healing pulse washes over them. As she withdraws her hand they begin to itch furiously as the muscles and nerves knit themselves back together, and Otrino scrabbles to reach. Unable to do so, he starts to lean back against the tree before thinking better of it. In the end, he grits his teeth until the feeling goes away, then rotates his arm experimentally. It moves fine, not like it would have thirty years ago, but like it would have thirty minutes ago.

Otrino starts paying attention to what the elf is saying again just before he is silenced. "Yes, I wonder who their mysterious benefactor could be," he says, with more than a hint of sarcasm. He looks at Melchia when he says this, but his eyes flick over to the corpses. From their mission statement alone, Otrino cannot derive a reason for the Cult of the Deep to want this group dead. Nor can he find it within himself to denounce their aims. Sometimes the world did seem to be hurtling headlong towards self-destruction. But of the two people with pull Otrino knew the group to be in contact with - Baron von Barunicz and Chastos Hrynn - only one had a reason to want them dead.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

As the elf slumps over dead, a flash of anger comes over Melchia. He stands up, crossbow in hand, and shouts out to the uncaring foliage.
    "Show yourselves! Cowards!"
    Taking the life of one of their fellows did not bother him, but wasting his powers, especially when he was so close to breaking through the captive's mental defenses, did.

16. - Top - End - #526

ClericGuy

Among the many shadows of the lush forest, it is hard to see past the third or fourth three. The abundance of bushes and thickets, and the dense foliage of the tallest trees weigh heavily on your sensory abilities.

No answer comes to Melchia's shout. And now, the Deep Wood falls again in a state of absolute silence. No wind, no animals, nobody gives any sign of life. Few tree branches move at all, and they do so without the faintest noise.

Silence.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Selia, hoping to not give away the fact that one of their two captives lives, tries to get the attention of her allies with subtle gestures, indicating the remaining man and trying to communicate that they should avoid talking about him as she turns towards where the arrow came. She keeps her own anger under control. To kill one of their own, after he had surrendered...It didn't make any sense to do so. Whatever sniper had been in the trees could surely have turned the tide of the battle. They might have even been able to kill Otrino before he was able to cast his spells...Why they decided to instead do nothing but kill their own agent was strange.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia gives Selia a meaningful look. She can hear a strange static in her mind as Melchia makes a telepathic link.
    <We could still interrogate the other one if his wounds are healed, but if we are being observed it would seem strange to take a 'dead' body with us. How did these cultists find us in these woods?>
    He moves over to the body of the elf, and starts rifling through his belongings.
    <Maybe there is a clue on their persons. Orders, perhaps, or a map. The implications of them finding us here, or following us here, are disconcerting. Call me paranoid, but I am inclined to believe our newest member may be a spy.>
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-05-03 at 01:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529

ClericGuy

The elf, aside from a nice longbow and his quiver of arrows, has a very sharp dagger and a very nice suit of studded leather, dyed blue. He carries seven potions and some jewelry. He also holds a leaflet in a pocket on his chest.

Leaflet
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Deep Edicts
    You will hail the Deep every morning, and every evening.
    You will sacrifice one life every week to the Deep. If you can't do it, sacrifice yours.
    You will blindly follow your Seeker and obey his orders.
    You will do all in your power to avoid the cult to be unearthed, until better times.
    You will know that you're working for a better, different reality.
    ~Horatio

OoC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the delay, I didn't get the email of CTP's post.

You identify the potions. 3x Cure Moderate Wounds, 6x Cure Light Wounds.

Now we'll need a decision. Keep moving and trying to find those seeds, or go after the sniper? And what about the human? As Melchia said, it's suspicious to bring him with you (and heavy).

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

As Selia feels Melchia's mental link a shiver runs through her. For a moment she's unsure how to respond, but after a second she collects herself and sends a mental reply.

<I agree. If we want to keep him alive, we would need to shield him from an attack from the sniper.> Selia thinks to Melchia. She has a slight blush on her cheeks and is having difficulty keeping her concentration show. At the mention of Otrino perhaps being a spy, she can only just contain her surprise.

<I'm...not sure. How could he have brought them to us, though? I don't know of any magic that would let him do so. Don't forget, they fired at him first. Of course, that might've been an attempt to make him look innocent...or they might have wanted to just kill him before he could cast spells.>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm for giving him one of the CLW potions and shielding him from the sniper to interrogate.

We don't have any sort of leads on the sniper - he could have gone in any direction.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

<It is clear they are not above harming their own. Keep an eye on him.>
    Melchia reads the strange leaflet, and pockets it for future examination. He then begins to look through the human's belongings. He breaks the silence in a hushed whisper.
    "Do we risk putting this one to questioning? We may still be observed by the sniper."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Banned

Otrino whispers, following Melchia's lead. "Had I prepared the fog spell, we could at least have made a clean getaway from the sniper. But you all seemed annoyed at it when we met, and then when the drow used it, so I didn't.

"Have any of you heard of 'Horatio' before?"

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Horatio is someone who has already sent assassins after us. The first time we were attacked it was on the way to the caravan. I think it was the day before we met you, Selia explains, keeping her voice hushed as well.

Through the mental link to Melchia she thinks <Right, I will.>

Whoever this sniper is, they obviously won't attack us, at least not now. It could be another mercenary who has a specific contract and won't attack us because he hasn't been paid to, Selia considers.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia uncorks one of the potions they found.
    "Rubido, keep your weapon at this man's throat. If he makes any hostile movements, kill him. We might as well try to get some information out of him."
    He opens the man's mouth and carefully pours the healing potion down his throat.

Spoiler
    Show

Using one of the potions of Cure Light Wounds to heal the guy, hopefully back to consciousness; healing (1d8+1)[2] hp.

25. - Top - End - #535

ClericGuy

The man does not regain consciousness.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Grinding his teeth, Melchia pours another potion down the man's throat. Selia can feel the telepath's irritation through the mental link.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll keep a-pourin' until the bloke wakes up. We've got five more CLW potions, at any rate.
    1: (1d8+1)[8]
    2: (1d8+1)[3]
    3: (1d8+1)[5]

27. - Top - End - #537

ClericGuy

Another potion is enough to restore consciousness to the man. He opens his eyes suddenly, panting and coughing, and looks at you almost in disbelief. "You... what... why..." and he resumes coughing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the man restrained in any way?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia keeps his eyes trained on the man. He whispers close to his ear.
    "We are being watched. If you wish to live, and keep observers in ignorance, you will open your mind to me. Do not resist. I am merely trying to communicate through thought alone."

Spoiler
    Show

Melchia will attempt to manifest Mindlink on the prisoner. He has to be willing, or else it fails.

29. - Top - End - #539

ClericGuy

The human is quite terrified by the situation. Sweating, he tries to mutter an answer and fails. His hands are shaking and his eyes open wide, in an expression of terror. He does not resist your power, nor does he try to escape or move, paralyzed with fear as he is.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

<Your companion is dead, slain by an unknown sniper before we could question him. If you remain still, and communicate only via this mental link, we may be able to trick this sniper into thinking you are dead. This is of course assuming you value your life at all.
    On that note, I suggest you answer a few of my questions. Failure to do so would prove detrimental to your health. Even if you do not fear death, I can arrange for your departure from this mortal coil to be a prolonged and unpleasant experience.
    Now, cultist of the Deep, tell me how you tracked us here to these woods, and why you tried to kill us.>

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate check: (1d20+9)[26]