New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Shadows of Anmer IC

"Could you teach us the necessary ritual? We could perform it on our own once we've accumulated enough bodies, and you would not have to travel. I am having trouble picturing how we are supposed to inform you of our progress if we have a limited amount of time with which to perform the ritual, but must trek back here to tell you, especially if the bodies are over a day's travel away.
    All of this aside, your request for the sunflower puzzles me. Do you require the sunflower as payment before you will help us with any of these other tasks? Or is this merely a personal favor?"

Melchia seemingly has nothing to relay through the mind link at the moment, aside from a general sense of curiosity.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

"The Sunflower of Life is a thing I have needed for the longest time; I am going to use this opportunity of seizing it. I will not describe the words needed for the ritual to you, before I have the seed. You can consider it the payment for the favor I'm doing you. Of course, I will pay well for the seed."
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia nods, his mind kicking into action.
    <I would rather we learn the incantations ourselves. It would make things more convenient for us. It would seem acquiring this sunflower would be our next immediate goal.>

4. - Top - End - #604
    Banned

<Very well,> thinks Otrino. <Knowing the words will not only provide us a measure of autonomy, but could serve us well if we ever happen on another of Rogon's curses. To Icmud, then, with little fuss?>

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Selia shifts her gaze slightly, looking at a monolith in the background rather than the Guardian, and enters a posture that could be one of deep thought.

<Sounds like a plan. This priest had better be happy about his holy symbols, after all the trouble we're going through to fix them,> the 'tone' of Selia's thought is more lighthearted and humorous than serious when she gets to the second sentence.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

6. - Top - End - #606

ClericGuy

You start your walk toward the town of Icmud. Once you find the road, it's relatively safe. The road had been built for small carriages, and is elevated a yard above the marsh terrain.

The intense smell of reeds and swamp fills your nostrils for the whole day. As you settle down to camp for the night, you are getting used to the strong odour. What is a bit strange is that there is nobody in sight, and there hasn't been anybody for the whole day. This makes you wonder, have you ever been that lost in the middle of nowhere?

In the following morning, you resume your walk. Judging from the map, you should be able to arrive in about a week of walking, if all goes well. But will it be all swamp?

As you walk, probably thinking about the big distance that you're putting between civilization and yourself, the (little) unexpected happens: a crocodile rushes out of the water and tries to bite Rubido in the leg. However, it aims incorrectly his sharp teeth, managing only to tear off a little piece of the elf's clothing.

Combat!
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    21 Rubido
    15 Crocodile
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Did that crocodile just try to take a chunk out of Rubido? Lucky for him it only grabbed Rubido's pants. There was only a slight problem: those were Rubido's favorite pants. And now they were ruined.

Oh he was so going to make a sword sheath out of this thing. Maybe boots too.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to do Knowledge Devotion here. I'm going to assume it's Knowledge Nature for this.

Nature: (1d20+6)[25]

Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[21]

Damage: (1d8+3)[7] + (1d6)[5]

That should be a +3 from the Nature roll, so add 3 to damage and attack roll. I'll include it from now on.
    Last edited by Overlord Rion; 2012-07-07 at 12:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608

ClericGuy

As you swing your sword, you cut a large gash open in the crocodile's thick hide. The beast, not worried in the slightest by the cut, retaliates. It swiftly turns on itself, smashing your tail against you with great strength.

From the thick reeds in the swamp, you notice a thin, dark-skinned man. He is about forty feet away from you, amidst a shallow pond which might be one foot deep. He is wearing some bark-crafted armor, and is looking at you when he screams "eat 'im, Clock! lasau jiilral ressan di gemuth!"

His chant continues, as he waves his hands around and keeps repeating the words of power.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido (17 damage; remember you started from full HP)
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia <- UP NOW
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia (remember to prepare your spells before acting; also your stats are too sad compared to the others, feel free to revert to 32 PB because 28 was just too low)

Rubido recognizes the spell being cast as a Summon Nature's Ally II.
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-07-07 at 01:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

At first believing the party was under attack by a wild animal, the arrival of the strange spell caster suggested to Melchia that they were being assaulted by a Druid. The crocodile was a bit close for comfort, but if he was to affect the Druid with his powers, he knew he had to get closer. Sloshing through the muck up to his knees, Melchia closes the gap. A bass-pitched hum accompanies Melchia's voice as he speaks aloud to the swamp-dweller, weaving psychic power into the words.
    "I suggest you call off your companion and cease your attack, so that we might explain our presence in your territory and negotiate a peaceful resolution."

Spoiler
    Show

Melchia will move through the difficult terrain, up to 15 ft., avoiding the crocodile, but getting within 30 ft. of the caster. Then he will expend his psionic focus while manifesting Suggestion.

If the enemy shares a language (and he appears to know Common), then he is entitled to a DC 16 Will save or be compelled to follow the suggested course of action. If the request seems especially reasonable to your judgement, the target may even take a penalty to his saving throw.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-07-07 at 09:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #610

ClericGuy

The druid, too busy speaking words of power, doesn't reply to you; instead, he smiles and stares at you with a menacing grin as he keeps chanting.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    15 Druid (casting Summon Nature's Ally II)
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino <- UP NOW
    8 Selia (remember to prepare your spells before acting; also your stats are too sad compared to the others, feel free to revert to 32 PB because 28 was just too low)

Nat 20 on the druid's saving throw.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Banned

"My friend is talking to you," says Otrino, stepping forward and rolling up his sleeves. He raises one eyebrow waiting for a response, but continues to step forward until he's about as far from the man as Melchia. He makes sure to keep well clear of the crocodile.

"I suggest you sit down and listen!" On the last word Otrino's arm sweeps in a circle and a mound of dull red flesh appears next to the druid. It wiggles in distress, and flattens itself to submerge as much of itself as possible. "Potjanite ego vniz" he commands, pouring all the frustration and venom of the last couple days into the words of the hateful language.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to within 30 ft. of the druid, cast Rapid Summon Monster I to summon a fiendish octopus in the pool of water where the druid's standing.

The octopus attacks!
    Arms: (1d20+5)[24]
    Improved Grab (if Arms hit): (1d20+2)[8]
    Bite (if grapple is established): (1d3)[3]

The object of all this, of course, is to break the druid's concentration.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-07-07 at 11:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Selia, seeing as Melchia had already tried the negotiation route and Otrino had just began an attempt to ruin the caster's day, chose to deal with the crocodile. Concentrating for a few seconds, she gets a good grip of the power within her. Then she turns her attention to the animal, breathing deeply once before speaking with a voice bursting with magical energy.

Leave.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redoing spells again because I forgot to save it last time...sigh.

Anyways, I'm casting Command: Flee on the croc. Will save is DC 14.

With the stat boost, my Charisma is now 16.

13. - Top - End - #613

ClericGuy

The octopus latches onto the druid's legs, but the human shakes it off without too much effort. On the other side, the crocodile is attacked mentally by the cleric, but Selia can feel that it resists the effect.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    15 Druid (casting Summon Nature's Ally II)
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia

PersonMan: Cha to 16? Nice. Make sure you update your sheet :)

I keep rolling high this combat!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

With the Druid now in play, Rubido needed to make quick work of the crocodile so he could charge at the Druid.

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, Knowledge Devotion lets me now PA for full without changing my roll, yay!

Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[28] spending an inspiration point for extra to hit and PA for full.

Damage Roll: (1d8+9)[10] + (1d6)[2]

EDIT: Crit threat on strike as well.
    Last edited by Overlord Rion; 2012-07-08 at 11:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #615

ClericGuy

Rubido hits the crocodile once again, but the beast just refuses to yield. Once again, it retaliates with its tail. However, the attack ends up on Rubido's chest armor, without hurting him much. Meanwhile, the druid finishes his summon and another crocodile appears, in melee with both Otrino and Melchia. The crocodile attempts to attack the Psion, but fails miserably.

The druid casts another spell, and a fiery ball appears between Melchia's legs.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia <- UP NOW
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia

Melchia: Ref saving throw (1d20+2)[19] Success to avoid (2d6)[2] damage.
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-07-08 at 11:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Melchia curses under his breath, dodging out of the way as the heat of the summoned ball of fire passes by. By chance, his dodge also gets him out of the crocodile's jaws. Figuring diplomacy has failed utterly, the psion retreats.

Spoiler
    Show

Full round action to withdraw, moving up to double speed to put some distance between Melchia and the crocodile, fleeing back in the general direction of the party if able. Still want to keep 30 ft. or so from the crocodile. Leaving the first square does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the croc.

Also, how is that [Fire] spell interacting with the marshy/wet/watery terrain? Might he have to make a Spellcraft check to keep it going?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Banned

Otrino looks appraisingly at the crocodile that appeared as if from nowhere in front of him. "Not bad," he spits. Looking around, he sees nowhere to run that the crocodile can't get to more quickly and more easily. The octopus Otrino summoned, however, catches his eye, and he smirks, then screws up his face. With a small "pop", Otrino disappears and reappears next to the druid, leaving the octopus to face down, and hopefully slow down, the crocodile. Otrino draws his dagger. "Care to explain yourself now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Prometeo Aid Another: (1d20+8)[13]
    Otrino Concentration to cast Benign Transposition defensively v. DC 16: (1d20+5)[20]

EDIT: including the result of my rolls.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-07-08 at 03:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Selia waits to see how the man reacts to Otrino's appearance next to him, readying her crossbow. If he tries to attack, she'll fire.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to ready my crossbow.

Standard is readying an action to fire on the druid if he does anything hostile (this includes casting a spell or moving away from Otrino).

19. - Top - End - #619

ClericGuy

The druid calmly replies "What is there to explain? I'm the hunter, you're the prey. Surrender and yield your valuables, or die."

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia

Situation: Otrino in melee with the druid. Octopus in melee with summoned croc. Nearby, Rubido in melee with croc companion. Selia 10 feet from both crocs, Melchia 20 feet from the summoned one.

The environment isn't fully aquatic, so I'm hand-waiving the Spellcraft check.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

His valuables? Oh no. That wasn't happening. Not until Rubido was dead and gone.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose my crit didn't confirm last round?

Using Sapphire Nightmare Blade

Concentration Check: (1d20+8)[21]

Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[18] -2 if I failed the concentration check

Damage: (1d8+6)[9] + (1d6)[2] + (1d6)[6]

21. - Top - End - #621

ClericGuy

Rubido's swing finally drops the crocodile. It sure was a very tough animal. Seeing this, the druid screams: "Clock! You will pay for this! I will burn you all down!"

He then proceeds swiftly step back, and summon a flame in his hands. He hurls it at Otrino causing great pain, and immediately another flame appears in his hand. Meanwhile, with a simple gesture of the other hand, he sends his fiery ball to go after Melchia once more.
    The summoned crocodile steps forward, toward Selia, and hits her with great strength on the side.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia <- UP NOW (5 damage)
    12 Otrino (7 fire damage)
    8 Selia (17 damage)

Mythweavers is down, so I can't check Melchia's Ref save. If you remember it, please post it in case it's needed.

Melchia: Reflex saving throw (1d20)[8] fail to avoid (2d6)[5] damage.

Overlord: yeah, the crit did not confirm.
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-07-10 at 07:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

As the heat of the flames burns Melchia's skin, he quickly rolls aside, staunching the hungry tongues of flame in swamp water. He pulls out his crossbow and fires at the Druid on knee.

Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step out of the fire ball, move action to draw the crossbow, and standard to fire at the Druid. He stepped out of melee, so no penalties to the attack I believe.

Attack: (1d20+2)[9]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]

2 bolts left
    9/14 hp

Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2012-07-10 at 09:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623

ClericGuy

The bolt flies harmlessly near the druid's shoulder.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino <- UP NOW (7 fire damage)
    8 Selia (17 damage)
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-07-10 at 11:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Banned

Otrino seems to revel in the flames. When they flee back to the druid's hand his skin is raw, red, and sweaty, and his clothes are singed, but he is smiling. "I may have to revise my earlier assessment," he says. He launches into a summoning trance similar to the Druid's own from a moment before.

As he does, Prometeo slips out of Otrino's robes and into the water, winding his way towards the druid. He finds the druid's ankle under the water and takes an exploratory bite at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: 1
    Poison: Fort DC 10 or take (1d6)[6] CON damage

The octopus moves towards Selia, along the crocodile's length.

Spoiler
    Show
    This will provoke an AOO from the croc.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

For Selia, it seems like the tail hits twice - once when the crocodile strikes her and again a few moments later. At first the shock, or perhaps something else, kept her from fully feeling the pain of the strike but now she felt it. And it hurt.

Backing away from the crocodile, Selia starts reloading, keeping an eye on the summoned beast as she does so.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, this is gonna be a kinda weird set of actions.

5' step from the croc.
    Move action to start reloading - could I use next round's standard to finish?
    Standard action: ready an action to move back 30 feet if it starts moving towards me.

26. - Top - End - #626

ClericGuy

The snake finds and bites a naked part of the ankle. However, the skin is unusually hard and the animal does not manage to pierce it.

The crocodile attempts to bite the juicy octopus, but can't catch it.

Initiative and stuff; important
    Spoiler
    Show
    Selia: I'm going to allow your move action, even if it gives you a slight advantage; however, I cannot allow your standard action: you may take a 5-foot step but this prevents any other movement in your round, not in your turn. This means that if you do the step you won't be able to move on your own until it is your turn again, not even with a readied action.

Feel free to redo the whole turn if you'd like to take another course of action.

21 Rubido
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia <- UP NOW

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

OOC/DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I'll just pull back, then. Withdraw 30 feet, move in such a way that the croc will provoke AOOs if it follows, if I can do that.

So, Withdraw, and that's all.

28. - Top - End - #628

ClericGuy

Selia backs up, passing near Rudibo's left side.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Selia now behind Rubido, who is at about 30 feet from the druid, and within 5-foot step reach of the summoned crocodile.

21 Rubido <- UP NOW
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia
    12 Otrino
    8 Selia

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Rubido takes a step towards the crocodile, unwilling to leave Selia's side and hoping the Druid was going to run out of spells eventually.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the crocodile is close enough for a 5-foot, I'll be taking one of those and attacking. If not, moving to within range of the crocodile and going total defense.

Attack: (1d20+9)[20]

Damage: (1d8+3)[10] + (1d6)[2]

EDIT: Forgot the damage from Knowledge Devotion, so tack on another three for a total of 15.
    Last edited by Overlord Rion; 2012-07-14 at 10:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630

ClericGuy

Rubido opens another gash in the second crocodile. Being a summon, the animal doesn't suffer too much and retaliates. It waves his tail around trying to hit the elf, but it misses the target by a very large margin.

The Druid realizes that Otrino is going to be very dangerous if he manages to bring out another summon. First, he hits him with one of his fireballs, burning him. Then, he moves his fiery ball right on him to try to get him to stop casting.

Initiative and stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    21 Rubido
    15 Druid
    14 Melchia <- UP NOW
    12 Otrino 5 fire damage
    8 Selia

Otrino: Reflex save (1d20+1)[21] to avoid (2d6)[7] fire damage. success
    Last edited by mucco; 2012-07-15 at 03:38 AM.