New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant II

[S.O.B.]

"I mean with ward burrowing. Technically, I can just drop the wards at any time, but they're made so well I can't get through them at all when I take the offensive." He says. "Good catch, though."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

SOB

"Ah. Well, that makes sense I suppose. And as for the catch, it's what I do." Eileen chuckles.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

[S.O.B.]

Caet quirks an eyebrow. "What do you feel right now?"

If Eileen is any good with detecting magic, should should feel a slight charge in the air. It's surprisingly faint, actually.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

[SOB]

"Incoming lightning strike?" Eileen asks, studying him carefully.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

[S.O.B.]

"Nope. That'd be the ward. The only reason you can feel it at all is because you're standing right on the spot where I set it up. Move five feet in any direction and you won't even be able to detect the difference." he says, "I've also taken the time to apply secondary and tertiary wards, as well as wards on the wards to tell me when the wards are so much as magically poked. There's isn't much that can get through my system, but it takes a lot of maintenance to keep it running correctly."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

[SOB]

"You put wards on your wards so you could ward while warding?"
    Eileen grins, unable to resist such a perfect setup.
    "Overall that sounds like a most...industrious and foolproof system."
    At least, until they invent a better fool.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

[S.O.B.]

Caet rolls his eyes, "Precisely." he says, "But, of course, now that you've said that, everything's jinxed."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

David's Cell

After a while, the cell door unlocks, and David will see Jyarl walk in, wearing just his uniform. "Hello murderer." He says before shutting and locking the door behind him. The officer looks him over, leaning against the door. "You realize you're the weak one, right?" He asks with a slight smirk. "I've been hearing some interesting things from the others..."

Ian's Cell

The same happens to Ian, but instead of Jyarl, one of the Valkyries enters, fully armored. She doesn't look too happy, but doesn't make a move other than drawing and holding onto a shock baton. "You thought you could get away by being average, didn't you?" She asks, slightly amused. "I tried the same thing. It doesn't work. Pick up the pace, or we'll pick it up for you." She warns.

Jason's Cell

Jyarl enters Jason's cell, same as he did David's, but carries a pair of brass knuckles this time, slipping them onto his hand. "I know you want to kill me." He states simply. "So, I'll give you a chance with no consequences." As he says so, he pulls out a second pair of brass knuckles, and offers them to the prisoner. "Any injuries will be healed. This is a one-time offer."

Keith's Cell

The other Valkyrie enters the cell, and watches Keith for a moment before her helmet slides back, revealing a once-beautiful face, marred by a long jagged scar along her forehead, and short raven hair. "You liked what you saw, didn't you? The half-dragon being killed. I bet you were the one who executed that hostage in the robbery. Just to do it."

Leah's Cell

Jyarl enters this one, unarmed and in uniform before shaking his head. "Crying? Get it all out now. There won't be time for it later." He doesn't sound belittling, instead understanding what she was doing. "This isn't going to be anything as easy as stealing babies."

Garn's Cell

One of the two Valkyries enters his cell as well, also armed with a shock baton. "Hmm...keep doing well, and you might be allowed to get your beard back." She tells him before smiling slightly.

And not in a good way.

"Of course, being able to do so marks you out and makes you a target for the others, doesn't it?"

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Leah gets to her feet, meeting Jyarl's eyes with an expression of cold fury. "Don't patronize me, Sir. If this is what I have to do to get my son back, I will."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #430
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Garn's Cell]

" If bein' hated i' part o' the price o' gettin' sum o' me dignity back than let 'em hate me. " The dwarf says, not moving, not blinking as he continues to stare at the ceiling.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Jyarl snorts. "Sure. Just like I'll get my squad back. You said yourself he's not your kid, and frankly, I wouldn't give a damn if he is. I was being serious. Get out any weakness you can. It'll only slow you later. Unless you want the others to kill you of course."

Garn's Cell

The woman smirks. "Good. Just be wary of jealousy. It causes people to be...unreasonable."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Leah's Cell

"If it comes to that, I'll kill them first, Sir,"she says. *glare glare glare*

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Jyarl thinks for a moment before pulling a small switchblade from his side and tossing it to her. "We'll see." He tells her before turning to head out.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garn's Cell

Garn's eyes shift to look at the Valkyrie. " If 'ey be unreasonable 'en tha's tha'. If 'ey decide ta do sumthin' stupid ta me tha'll find tha' a dwarf need no weapon ta defend himself. "

-Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Leah catches it, perhaps just a little too dexterously to fit the role of a deranged woman who would do anything to become a mother.

Her mind races. Why did he do that? Does he think I'll try and kill him now? After this morning?

No. It's a test. He wants to see what I'll do with it. Whether I'll target someone.

How can I use this?

Who else has one?

She lets her face show her surprise, but her voice betrays nothing. She hasn't heard any of the other prisoners voices, but that doesn't mean her own doesn't carry. "We will, Sir."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

[Gate]

Sophie exits a taxi a little away from the military complex and heads in the direction of the gate slowly. The letter from the Pastor is tucked safely in her jacket's chest pocket.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

David's Cell

David didn't answer immediately. What was he supposed to say? "Isn't much I can do about it now."

Ian's Cell

"Oh?" Ian looks up at her from where he sits, apparently unmoved. "I figured you'd have more important problems to deal with."

Jason's Cell

Jason doesn't say a word. It's not something you need to think about. Jyarl has been a man of his word so far. There's no one around to give a demonstration to. He draws in a single breath breath precisely, then exhales slowly. He begins to reach for the offered weapon with his right hand... and then suddenly switches to try and batter Jyarl in the face with his left, a straight, efficient hook right at the chin. It's swift, purposeful, devoid of flash or excess, a movement with the lean, murderous economy of a tiger.

[Keith's Cell]

Outwardly, the man sitting on the bed doesn't change. But when he speaks, the detachment is gone from his voice. It's still cool and soft, but now in the manner of a serpent; cunning, clever, understated, but with an unspoken forcefulness behind it. "Not just the hostage. I shot the sick guard too. But it wasn't "just to do it."" He looks at her. "Why do you care? Do you think it makes me worse than the others, somehow?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Jyarl walks out without any further word. She'll hear the door lock, leaving her alone with the switchblade.

David's Cell

"Sure there is." Jyarl tells him, sounding somewhat bored.

Ian's Cell

"You don't think we'd notice? You realize that if you don't push it for real, we'll just increase everyone's load, and tell them why."
    She says.

Jason's Cell

Jason's strike connects solidly with Jyarl's cheek, cracking the bone with an audible crunch, but having been through much worse, and with his body numb to pain from the drug implants in his body, he reacts. Jason's next blow is caught by Jyarl's forearm, and he'll receive a pair of powerful jabs to the nose, brass knuckles shattering it.

The rest of the fight is short and brutal, but it ends with Jason laying on the ground, broken, bruised, and bleeding, with Jyarl drawing deep breathes over him, his own nose and other cheekbone broken as well. The once offered set of brass knuckles is left on the ground as the officer leaves, a small reward for the surprise blow.

He'll be left like that for an hour before a cleric is allowed in to heal and sedate the man.

Keith's Room

"It means you might be a Sociopath." She says with a slight smirk. "I'd know, as I am one. Just enjoy it and revel in it. But don't let it get the best of you, or I'll put you down, got it?"

Garn's Room

"Best of luck to you then."
    She says before leaving.

Gate 1.0

The weapons are put away, and they give the possible recruit a tag for them. "Any questions before you go in?"

Gate 2.0

"Can we help you, Miss?" One of the guards asks Sophie as she approaches.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

[Gate 2.0]

I'm Sophie Mouchabiere. I come here on behalf of the Sacred Order of the Cunnigham to learn more about the reasons behind the death of two of our faith, the Savicks. I have a letter from Pastor Ellen with me to confirm it. She procudes an envelope from a pocket on her chest.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

[David's Cell]

"Oh, yeah, sure, I can change reality and this situation so I'm a crazy commando just like you. No sweat." David glares at him. "Look, yeah, I get it. Push yourself more, stop dragging ass. I get the picture."

[Ian's Cell]

"Well, when you put it that way, I guess I've got no choice." Ian lays back on his mattress. "Any other decelerations you wanna lay on me while you're here."

[Jason's Cell]

After the medics piece him back together, Jason palms the brass knuckles, getting a feel for them. This wasn't over, but for now, it was temporarily settled. Jyarl had won that from Jason by giving him a clean shot at him. So, Jason would be a good little trainee for a good long while. But someday down the line, Jason would like another shot. And he was patient enough to wait.

[Keith's Cell]

"I don't think there will be any problems, then." Keith settled back, picking up one of the approved books he had requested and been given.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Leah's Cell

Leah takes off her shorts and ties a largish knot in one of the drawstrings, then forces it back through the hole, followed by the knife. When she needed it, she could just yank the string, and the knot would pull the knife out with it. It was a quick and easy way to conceal the blade, which was needed since their clothing was replaced daily.

It felt good having the weight of the knife there. It was much smaller than she preferred, but she knew how to use it. The Savicks weren't the first people she'd killed.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garn's Room

The dwarf watches the Valkyrie leave before his eyes slowly drift back to the ceiling. Studying it carefully looking for every flaw hidden within the stones depths. " No' to shabby. Woul' probably take a few charges ta brang her down. " He muses to himself not know or carrying if his every word is being listened to.

-Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate 2.0

One of the guards will take a look over the letter if Sophie offers it.

David's Cell

Jyarl just shakes his head and turns to head out. "No David, you really don't." He says before heading out.

Ian's Cell

"No, not really. If you have any complaints, tell me and I'll be sure to fix them." She says with a cruel smile.

Jason's Cell

The cleric will cast a light healing spell on the man before leaving, armed guards following her out.

Keith's Cell

"I guess not." She admits before heading out herself.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Gate 2.0

The letter is from Pastor Ellen Cooke of the Sacred Order of Cunningham. It states that as the Savick family were members of her flock, she wished to make inquiries about the crime on their behalf and had appointed Sophie as her representative. There is also sincere gratitude expressed to Remnant for safely recovering the infant.

The members of Remnant who identified the family and handed the baby over to the next of kin would have met Pastor Ellen. She was with the family, praying with them and comforting them as she best could.

Penal Company

((Maybe a training montage and time skip to when the recruits are no longer kept in solitary?))

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

David's Cell

David lies back down, rather unhappy.

Ian's Cell

Ian shrugs. "Hey, I'm not one to rock the boat."

Keith's Cell

Keith proceeds to read the technical manual, unaffected by the encounter.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Gate 1.0]

"No, I have no questions." Iamar allows herself to be escorted to wherever she needs to be.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Rahona smiles back as she speaks.

"Dun worry about it, neither of us had one and yet we both got a chance ta dance"

Rahona seems to be having plenty fun despite the fact that she neither had a date nor an invitation.
    "Yeah. I don't get to dance much, so..." Ordo falls silent, turning and turning, likely dancing until the conclusion of the next couple songs. "What's your name?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Penal Company

The Dream:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a rainy day on Market Street the first time she saw Him. Charlie. The Emissary. He was sitting cross-legged on an improvised dais, above the crowd, playing his sitar and singing. She stopped to listen, as others were doing, drawn to the music. It lifted her, pulled her out of the rain, made her feel as if there was more to the world, more to herself. She felt as if she could see the threads of destiny coming together, uniting in this man, in this song.

When the song ended, Leah automatically stepped forward with a handful of gold pieces to drop in His case. When she did, she felt a touch of electricy as He took her hand. She looked up, and it seemed that she fell into His dark brown eyes. "Come with me, and you will become everything you are meant to be." He said to her.

She held His gaze, captivated. "I shouldn't. I have family..."

"I am your family."

Leah knew it was true as soon as He said it, and she followed Him from that moment.

Leah woke from the dream, her heart aching from the separation. Aching from the lie in the dream. If it had gone that way, then she would be with Him now. But she hadn't. She had felt His touch, heard His call, felt Him claim her. But then she had doubted, and pulled away. She regretted it at once, but it was too late. He had moved on, and she lost Him in the rain.

The Memory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For weeks she thought of Him every moment, spoke of Him, until her sister dragged her to a mage to have her scanned for magical influence. There was none. Leah had known there would be none. The bond between them was natural. It was destiny.

When she saw Him again, she went directly to Him. "I'm ready. I'm sorry I doubted."

He played a few chords, deliberately out of tune. "You refused the Call. That has consequences."

She lowered her eyes and simply said, "Please."

He pulled her into His arms. "I forgive you. But oh, my beloved, there will be so much pain from this." He said, His voice filled with sorrow.

But when He kissed her, she felt that all was right. Whatever pain was to come, she could bear.

If only she hadn't doubted, then she wouldn't be here. She knew that. The lines of fate had been twisted by her doubt, and her suffering here, her separation from her beloved, from the Emissary, was the result.

I won't fail again, she promised herself. I won't.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-09-28 at 09:56 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Penal Company

The brutal training would continue on for another week, causing each one to push beyond his or her known limits. Jyarl and his Valkyries would punish everyone if just a single person decided to hold back. Sometimes they'd run again, other times they'd be forced to fight each other with wooden staffs. In the latter, they'd be told to hit each other hard, and if they didn't, the Valkyries would hit them.

Their shock cudgels weren't as soft and nice as the wooden staffs, so the conscripts learned quick.

It was at the end of the third week that something strange happened however. They were moved to different rooms.

Unlike their old cells, they were placed in a real barracks. Sure, they were guarded at night and searched for contraband daily, but they could actually see, talk, and touch each other now. There weren't guards inside the barracks, so they could at least talk in (semi)privacy.

The change in scenery wasn't the only thing different by the end of the three weeks. There were fewer than there had been at the start, a few passing away from health complications such as stress, exhaustion, and unwillingness to live, leaving the rest of the group smaller, yet stronger than before. Each of the survivors was now stripped of their fat and is well on the way to gaining significant muscle. It was faster than it should have been, so a few of the others whisper rumors about how Jyarl drugs their food to try and make them bulk up and think less.

Sure, the first part was true, but the latter was completely absurd. Vasquez would never approve of that part.

Since the seasons were changing, the conscripts were issued warmer clothing and thicker blankets, and for their down time, even given a few games such as chess to keep their minds sharp. Lately, Jyarl's hinted that they may soon be entering educational classes, but so far nothing concrete has come of it.

Gate 1.0

The assassin will find herself escorted to an interrogation/interview room. It has plain white painted brick walls, a table, a mirror on one side, and a few chairs. One of her escorts nods after letting her in. "Just stay here for a minute, and someone will be right with you.

Gate 2.0

The guard reads the letter and after a bit of radio chit-chat, nods. "Would you like us to call up the primary responder?"

30. - Top - End - #450
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Gate 1.0 -> Interview Room]

Iamar gives a polite nod to her escorts before sitting in a chair. She feels rather vulnerable, right now, with none of her weapons. To make up for this, she scans just about every detail in the room, from the material of the table, to any cracks in the bricks.