New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: August's Pink Plushy and Phantasmagorically Random Banter Thread #166

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I recall that we could not take backpacks to class in middle school. I don't remember what the rationale for the rule was. So we don't strain our backs, maybe?
    I remember my 8th grade teacher, she refused to let us use our backpacks even as she was "preparing us for High School" and was being insane about homework. I prefer the scramble to find my class and being late to said class than to be in her class. Cant imagine how you dealt with your insane head-demon Moon.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-19 at 06:57 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: August's Pink Plushy and Phantasmagorically Random Banter Thread #166

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    So instead, you'd have to carry it in your hands/arms. Those people aren't only mentally challenged, they know nothing about ergonomics either.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Their justification was that hoodies, especially oversized ones, could be used to hide contraband, such as scissors and lighters.
    Again with the scissors. What's their problem with scissors?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    My middle school had a similar policy. I had to carry everything in my arms. Though they never gave a reason why. In high school I could use a backpack. In middle school the rule was just sort of...there.

Oooooh, sig it! Getting sigged twice in a couple days will be a record for me!

Reminds me of how my elementary school sometimes tried to discourage games that required any sense of competition, because if somebody lost they would feel bad. Yes, and the better alternative was teaching children that engaging in worthless and meaningless activity with no real results was a good use of time. I loathe how wussified school got sometimes.
    See the major problem people had with it was that the high school and middle school are the same building.

As you wish.

Seriously? And then they expect these kids to play sports in high school?

Also, relevant.
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    Again with the scissors. What's their problem with scissors?
    I guess they figured that we, being the monstrous creatures we were, could only be expected to use them for vicious, destructive purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

See the major problem people had with it was that the high school and middle school are the same building.

As you wish.

Seriously? And then they expect these kids to play sports in high school?

Also, relevant.
    Yeah, it was a stupid school system. While I went to what was the best public school system in the state, the value of it's intellectual side was ruined by stupid stuff like that. The ridiculous policies still affect me to this day because every time I see something that contradicted that absurd ideology a small part of me still revolts against it, even though I know that small part of me is being an idiot. So I give it a mental punch in the stomach and keep moving.

The whole "we should never cause any offense or imply that some people are more capable than others attitude" thing was just weird. In the name of safety they also insisted that we changed the names of some things. There was a popular game that involved throwing a ball against a wall called "suicide" (it's related to the nature of the game). It bothered the teachers that the kids called it such a name, even though every fourth grader knew what suicide was and hardly needed protection from it. It also just made the kids resent the teachers, so we stubbornly went on calling it "suicide" no matter how many times we got scolded.

All this ultra-safe junk is bad because it makes students resent the faculty for it's stupid policies, and it flat out messes with their outlook later on in life. I've seen some people (products of schools like mine) flat out advocate that we shouldn't have any competitive sports even in high school, and that doing stuff like putting your son into Little League is somehow abusive because he'll either feel bad because he's not the best at baseball or he'll be making others feel bad with his baseball skills. Yeah, because it's not like in real life people are expected to try to be better rather than having society cater to their every slightest imperfection.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2011-08-19 at 06:57 PM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

I now feel happy that my school is only slightly academically disfuncitonal...
    Though I'm in the private system which in here is a radical difference between exiting High-school knowing pre-calculus and exiting high school without knowing how to properly add.

In here there is the opposite of the no-competition rule. There is competition for everything, from Band and Orchestra to Academic Placement, along the way there are several competitions and bimestral awards, and science fair can get insane.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2011-08-19 at 07:18 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

6. - Top - End - #276

I guess I'm lucky, the FTS was only horrible in every other way.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

The only ban on competition I've ever seen in school was the prohibition of Yu-Gi-Oh during my elementary school days.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

The only ban on competition I've ever seen in school was the prohibition of Yu-Gi-Oh during my elementary school days.
    Beyblade were forbidden at elementary school for me, but that was because they were used as weapons and beyblade fights were rather literal.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this was because everyone always agreed to give up their rarest card when they lost, but then started crying when they had to.

Oh, the joys of youth.

10. - Top - End - #280

Well, this was because everyone always agreed to give up their rarest card when they lost, but then started crying when they had to.

Oh, the joys of youth.
    I can see why that's a problem. That could fall under gambling.

ION: Typing with an ice cream cone in my hand is hard.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

It isn't gambling, you are just giving the winner a gift as an act of respect and symbolizing both are still friends despite the battle that has just occurred....

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

The crying was the problem. They didn't care about anything else.

I'll bet it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    It isn't gambling, you are just giving the winner a gift as an act of respect and symbolizing both are still friends despite the battle that has just occurred....
    Theoretically. No one ever had a problem with it when they won.

ION: Writing continues to be hard.
    Last edited by Tragic_Comedian; 2011-08-19 at 07:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Colossus in the Playground

Hahaha, wow. I just got a warning for accidental thread necromancy. I completely forgot to check the date of the thread XP

Just bringing it up because I am amused at just how fail I can be sometimes. Hope that's aloud >_>

14. - Top - End - #284

So that makes it okay to claim as a gift the souls of people whom I beat in a children's card game. Yay!

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

15. - Top - End - #285

Heh, that reminds me of how in high school my friends and I specifically used M&M's during a poker game on school so we wouldn't get punished for engaging in gambling. We still were forced to end the game.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Hahaha, wow. I just got a warning for accidental thread necromancy. I completely forgot to check the date of the thread XP

Just bringing it up because I am amused at just how fail I can be sometimes. Hope that's aloud >_>
    Oh, oh! I made an accidental double post once! And I did something else too.It was white text (Yay first page!) Shoulda guessed it counts as spam >_>

My Klondike bar laughs at your inferior ice cream!
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-19 at 07:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

So that makes it okay to claim as a gift the souls of people whom I beat in a children's card game. Yay!
    Yes it does.
    Heh, that reminds me of how in high school my friends and I specifically used M&M's during a poker game on school so we wouldn't get punished for engaging in gambling. We still were forced to end the game.
    People in my class play poker during the hour change, they bet homework answers. Even when they get caught since there is no visible pool there is no gambling going on and they just have to stop, the worst they've gotten has been a friendly teacher warning.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

The whole "we should never cause any offense or imply that some people are more capable than others attitude" thing was just weird. In the name of safety they also insisted that we changed the names of some things. There was a popular game that involved throwing a ball against a wall called "suicide" (it's related to the nature of the game). It bothered the teachers that the kids called it such a name, even though every fourth grader knew what suicide was and hardly needed protection from it. It also just made the kids resent the teachers, so we stubbornly went on calling it "suicide" no matter how many times we got scolded.
    Why was it called that? Was the objective to hit yourself in the face or something?

Heh, me and my friends do that during lunch. If we get caught we just say we're sharing snacks. Because it's lunch. We haven't been forced to stop yet.

Which reminds me, I hope me and my friends are in the same lunch this year.
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

19. - Top - End - #289

Why was it called that? Was the objective to hit yourself in the face or something?
    Well the way you played the game was that you had a tennis ball, and one person throwing it against a wall from a distance. Everyone else tried to grab the ball before it got back to the person throwing it, and you could only catch it after it had bounced back from the wall. The one throwing it tried to keep the ball for themselves as long as possible. So it was called suicide because if you lost the ball, it was because you yourself threw it.

Heh, me and my friends do that during lunch. If we get caught we just say we're sharing snacks. Because it's lunch. We haven't been forced to stop yet.

Yeah, well the cards kind of gave us away so we couldn't pull that trick. Also, it wasn't lunchtime.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah, post explosion right after I had to go for a few hours!

Mutant: Haha... I bet I won't. I'm foreseeing all my hard classes ending up all at once...

YPU: Well, when teachers start to realize that most of the things they try teaching, I already know, some of them start to not like me. Usually not the most fun of things.

Mattos: Pretty much. I have a few things against the school district for nonsensical decisions on their part.

Comedian: Same in mine.

@Backpacks: Wait... What? I've always had a backpack. I couldn't carry it between classes until High school, but our lockers were usually around our classes, or on the way.

@Scissors: Oh yes. Last year our Social Studies teacher was making fun of all of us getting the little safety scissors.

@Hoodies: We just can't wear hats/hoods. Mostly so they can identify us and know we are paying attention.

@Competition: Pfft, it seemed our teachers tried to make it competitive. Just about every game we played (We played a lot in Elementary and slightly less in Middle school [I got sick of games and sometimes lost on purpose so I could go back to reading])

@Games banned: We could do pretty much whatever we wanted during Recess, except have snowball fights. That was veeeeerrrryyyy dangerous apparently.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

21. - Top - End - #291

People tend to put rocks in snowballs, so no snowballs fights aloud.

Of course, in my school none of this was realy banned. But then my elimentry school kinda sucked. And I have no idea what was or wasn't banned in High School because I didn't really pay attention to things people did anymore. I wasn't involved, so I had no reason to try.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

No reading aloud, either.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eon View Post
    Gah, post explosion right after I had to go for a few hours!
    Yeah, it always happens. I decide to watch some DC Online cut scenes because nothing is happening and two pages of stuff appears in 30 minutes.
    Shockingly, all my friends from my elementary school share the same lunch period. Even that kid who transferred in 6th grade is in my lunch period! My brother didn't share any classes or lunch with his, so I wasn't expecting it. Hope you get lucky too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

24. - Top - End - #294

Now, the mentaly challanged were allowed to do that. Really annoying though.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2011-08-19 at 08:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

That's definitely not allowed.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's definitely not allowed.
    I just realized I know nothing about you besides you are trapped in the Caribbean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

WHAT!?
    This is madness!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, in my school none of this was realy banned. But then my elimentry school kinda sucked. And I have no idea what was or wasn't banned in High School because I didn't really pay attention to things people did anymore. I wasn't involved, so I had no reason to try.
    See, that would be understandable. Of course, then the teachers didn't care if you pushed people off (I never did this) a snow bank onto asphalt. The snow banks were about as tall as us in Elementary school.

I just go to my classes in High School. I pretty much stopped paying attention after I realized how much drama popped up EVERY. DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Yeah, it always happens. I decide to watch some DC Online cut scenes because nothing is happening and two pages of stuff appears in 30 minutes.

Shockingly, all my friends from my elementary school share the same lunch period. Even that kid who transferred in 6th grade is in my lunch period! My brother didn't share any classes or lunch with his, so I wasn't expecting it. Hope you get lucky too.
    So not fair.

I usually have one or two friends at lunch at least. I've been lucky so far.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, how I love wordplay.

WHAT!?
    This is madness!
    No, this is Patrick.

ION: Action scenes are so difficult to write, because action, I think, should be immediate and direct by definition. But it takes more than one or two words to convey meaning most of the time. Text, not a good medium for action.
    Last edited by Tragic_Comedian; 2011-08-19 at 08:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

WHAT!?
    This is madness!
    THIS! IS! MEMETOWN! *Nyan Cat's into the sky

@Eon: I totally wanted to get involved in the drama. My life was...well, dead inside. Having stuff happened was fun, evn when it was bad stuff.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2011-08-19 at 08:19 PM.