New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Strangest refluffs?

What are some of the strangest, or most ingenious, refluffs that you've encountered/used in a game? I don't have any spectacular examples of my own, at least not off the top of my head, but a minor one that comes to mind is when a fellow player recently refluffed a mithril shirt as some kind of mithril-meshed leotard (the character is an acrobat/dancer of some sort, and the player wanted her to have inconspicuous armor, I guess).
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Strangest refluffs?

"Inconspicuous leotard" has to be the weirdest refluff ever.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having all griffen-like beasts ( owlbears, maticores,ect) to all be a result of the same magical accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.
    Only if said amoeba-like mass wore a leotard.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Only if said amoeba-like mass wore a leotard.
    What if it was one?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

What if it was one?
    Then we'd have Venom or Carnage, and it would crank that dial all the way back to awesome.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Then we'd have Venom or Carnage, and it would crank that dial all the way back to awesome.
    "strange" does not mean "not awesome."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, so take fighter (or more like swordsage) and take a rat (kobold) and take Splinter (from TNMNT) and take a jedi....and you have a rat-ish jedi-ish0-awesomesauce!
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-08-20 at 04:57 PM.
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

A friend of mine refluffed Psions with crystal shard as machine gunners.

They kicked our ass.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

We refluffled Battle Sorcerer into a Dr. Who-like science guy. His raven familiar was a floating orb that scanned things (adding to his appraise skill) and spoke, and he used color spray as a stun weapon, that was fluffed as coming from his sonic screwdriver.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I played a Warforged Warlock once who was entirely mechanical/alchemical in nature. His Eldritch Blast was a laser cannon, he fired smoke grenades from his torso for Breath of the Night, and rocket jets in his feet fired when he used Fell Flight. All his other invocations were tech-based as well, but I can't remember them.

13. - Top - End - #13

I smell cheese. Like cheddar and mozzerella with a hint of swiss and provolone.

But damn, that sounds cool.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

What's cheesy about a re-fluffed Warforged Warlock? It's just a class / race combo. Warforged even takes a hit to casting stats, so if anything it's a sub-optimal, if awesomly flavorful choice.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    What's cheesy about a re-fluffed Warforged Warlock? It's just a class / race combo. Warforged even takes a hit to casting stats, so if anything it's a sub-optimal, if awesomly flavorful choice.
    Some people have a reaction to anything that sounds cool; it has to be cheesy.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2011-08-20 at 08:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    TNMNT
    It's TMNT.
    Some people have a reaction to anything that sounds cool; it has to be cheesy.
    The half-giant (with no LA buyoff) fighter who took EWP: Dwarven Waraxe, TWF, monkey grip, and OTWF is full of cheese somehow, despite being worse than the human fighter who took EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Stand Still.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    It's TMNT.
    Now with extra Ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    The half-giant (with no LA buyoff) fighter who took EWP: Dwarven Waraxe, TWF, monkey grip, and OTWF is full of cheese somehow, despite being worse than the human fighter who took EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Stand Still.
    Well, it's big guy with a pair of huge axes rolling lots of large dice, it has to be cheesy!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

As always, I bring in my example of my [3.5, obviously] warforged DFA who had absolutely nothing to do with dragons and who was instead a direct ripoff of Inspector Gadget. (Go Go Gadget Hot Glue!) All of his abilities were Go Go Gadget something-or-other. He also got all of his items made as attached or embedded components, so he had all kinds of things popping into and out of his body with a simple GGG declaration.

In D&D 4e, I play my Runepriest as a Truenamer (or, if you catch me on a punny day, a Rune Aimer), but that's not so much "refluffing" as "finishing what WotC started."

Then there was my [3.5 again] Spirit Shaman. He was a dwarf from Boatmurdered and, rather than a traditional imaginary friend spirit guide, he thought that the spirit of an elephant was stalking him. The spirit of the elephant WAS stalking him, actually, but it wasn't an elephant. It was the ghost of his dead husband, who Chrysanthemum Vow'd himself while off fighting the Elephant Wars. (What? Like YOU'VE never combined Dwarf Fortress lore, Edo-period literature, and D&D into an unholy abomination before!) Rather than actually meditating with his spirit guide, he just drank until he couldn't see the elephant anymore (a process I called "communing with the spirits." Commence groans).
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Had a Spirit Shaman who was quite literally a hippy a while back. Bought as much hempen rope as he could and started smoking it. He ended up getting killed by a tree that decided to hug him (ie. he was hiding in a tree while incorporeal when someone dispelled magic on the area. DM ruled that I got stuck in the tree).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The most annoying (and yet quite clever) was when a DM of ours refluffed the choker as a jack-in-the-box for a christmas adventure we did. Damndable thing near killed my char too.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    The most annoying (and yet quite clever) was when a DM of ours refluffed the choker as a jack-in-the-box for a christmas adventure we did. Damndable thing near killed my char too.
    Note to self: as D.M, Refluff EVRYETHING. Keep the barstards on their toes.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

refluffed binders and warlocks that i ended up not using:

Spoiler
    Show
    Long ago the people of these islands followed the old gods, strange inhuman entities that supposedly predated the creation of the cosmos. In the beginning (according to their beliefs) there was nothing but the endless void and the GodFire, what would become the catalyst for all creation. From the GodFire came the first ones, and the first ones used the GodFire to begin the universe.

The GodFire burned and reacted and brought forth the lands and the skies and the seas. All things come from the initial chain reaction. This new world even began to birth people, all who worshipped the first ones, the old gods. But the first ones, not being of this world but before it, found they had difficulty maintaining a connection to it. So they taught these people how to call forth the first ones and to anchor them in their very souls.

All was good...for awhile, until settlers, immigrants from far shores came to this place. They saw these inhuman spirits dwelling in willing hosts and declared them to be fiends and horrors. They defiled the temples and rededicated them to their own gods, petty, new gods. They began converting the followers of the old ways, by swordpoint if necessary. The first ones, seeing the destruction being wrought by these foreingners, chose the bravest warriors, the wisest sages, the cleverest tricksters and placed a spark of the GodFire into their souls. And these champions did war with the newcomers. But the damage was too great, the old gods too distant from creation. The newcomers won and made worship of the old gods heresy.

But all this is ancient history. Few remember the old gods, and most that do only consider them a footnote in the history books. Only a handful keep the old ways, and always in secret, for worship of the old gods is still considered blasphemy.

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Note to self: as D.M, Refluff EVRYETHING. Keep the barstards on their toes.
    Yeah, I learned a good lesson on refluffing from reading a story on these boards. The DM's players knew the MM inside and out just through sheer amount of play, so he needed to give them an unexpected challenge. They ended up fighting a huge cat like creature on fire that tore through the party. They were utterly terrified.

It turned out that it was an Elephant with a single template, Fiendish I think or some kind of elemental kind. Replace the bash with claws but that was about it.

I didn't so much refluff a creature but I modified it's description so much no one knew what it was. It was a literal hill of rock that could move in the semi-shape of an animal. It would boulder through people and smash them underneath it. It was an advanced (huge) Rhino with the Mineral Warrior template. No one guessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    As always, I bring in my example of my [3.5, obviously] warforged DFA who had absolutely nothing to do with dragons and who was instead a direct ripoff of Inspector Gadget. (Go Go Gadget Hot Glue!) All of his abilities were Go Go Gadget something-or-other. He also got all of his items made as attached or embedded components, so he had all kinds of things popping into and out of his body with a simple GGG declaration.

In D&D 4e, I play my Runepriest as a Truenamer (or, if you catch me on a punny day, a Rune Aimer), but that's not so much "refluffing" as "finishing what WotC started."

Then there was my [3.5 again] Spirit Shaman. He was a dwarf from Boatmurdered and, rather than a traditional imaginary friend spirit guide, he thought that the spirit of an elephant was stalking him. The spirit of the elephant WAS stalking him, actually, but it wasn't an elephant. It was the ghost of his dead husband, who Chrysanthemum Vow'd himself while off fighting the Elephant Wars. (What? Like YOU'VE never combined Dwarf Fortress lore, Edo-period literature, and D&D into an unholy abomination before!) Rather than actually meditating with his spirit guide, he just drank until he couldn't see the elephant anymore (a process I called "communing with the spirits." Commence groans).
    I snorted soda out my nose when I read your last one. Good work sir
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

True enough; presumably (from what I've seen so far) though, leotards are actually a known garment in the setting worn for acrobatics and whatnot (as we know them), so that's one thing. I think the idea was just that the protective aspect is inconspicuous, not the character herself, going around in a leotard; like wearing a bulletproof vest under your jacket (only in this case the vest is visible, except that it doesn't look like a bulletproof vest)... or something.

Anyway, brilliant stuff so far ; keep it coming.
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

26. - Top - End - #26

Once upon a time we played a d20 future game. It was zombie apocalypse on the moon. My character went to Moon High. Everything we fought were dnd monsters refluffed to be plant based zombie mutants. Some of the notable ones were a zombie mutant girallon, which was just a gorilla escaped from the zoo that grew more arms.

There was also a thing described to us as 'basically picture a grey render, but its 40 feet tall and has a plant zombie wizard riding on the back'.

By the way, there was a wizard who was fluffed as a plant zombie. His spells were changed to reflect this. It was wicked. I hit him with a Gravball Stick. He didn't die.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I got a DM to pass the Jedi Guardian from Starwars d20 after some re-flavoring and minor tweaks. I re-fluffed it as an order of Lawful Good knights from the elemental planes. You didn't start with a lightsaber but instead had to go on a pilgrimage to an elemental plane to find a focus crystal to craft one. The time you could survive such a quest is about the time the lightsaber wouldn't be a game-breaker anymore. The lightsaber did energy damage based on the plane the focus crystal came from (Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning). Using force powers dealt non-lethal damage to the Jedi instead of costing Vitality and some of the powers were reworked to fit D&D's power scale. For example my ice-energy variant of force lightning whose damage actually increased with the skill's result instead of a static 3d6 whether you're level 1 or 20. Also darkside points were out, D&D has its own alignment system and attacking people with energy damage is hardly the paragon of evil in it.

The DM who passed it always had a lot of love for planes and planar politics so my character concept fit in much better than I had ever expected.
    Last edited by Captain Six; 2011-08-21 at 09:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it wasn't a game, but in a series of books I once read, the author re-fluffed a simple ring of invisibility in a children's book into the One Ring of Power which needed to be destroyed, requiring the heroes to take on a quest to a volcano in the heart of the evil realm over the course of a three-book epic to end the threat of the Dark Lord forever.

The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Well, it wasn't a game, but in a series of books I once read, the author re-fluffed a simple ring of invisibility in a children's book into the One Ring of Power which needed to be destroyed, requiring the heroes to take on a quest to a volcano in the heart of the evil realm over the course of a three-book epic to end the threat of the Dark Lord forever.

The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.
    Ah yes, I think that was one of the more ingenious ones. What's really amazing about it though is how he managed to pull that refluff off before D&D even existed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

Well played, good sir. Well played.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Spikey Mace of Looking at All Sides of the Question
    Anyone who can tell me what my avatar is gets a cookie.