New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Strangest refluffs?

I had a homebrew world that refluff most of the races.
    My favourite were the elves and the gnomes.
    The elves became hyperactive, agoraphobic, overly twitchty city-dwellers with a hair-trigger temper and no sense of personal space.

Gnomes required one small change to the stats, instead of talking to burrowing animals they talked to flying animals. They then lived in giant airborn fortresses that are built around lobotimised soarwhales. Large stores of food are grown in massive hydroponic farms built near the surfaces. Gnomes can spend their lives without leaving the safety of their fortress. Immense hangars store their flocks of Giant Eagles/Owls and Dire Bats which their scores of aerial paladins, fighters and rangers ride into battle.

Oh, and they all act like stereotyipcal WWI British fighter pilots. Along with referring to all Medium-sized races as "Biggles."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.
    It was clearly the other way round: he looks like a gardener, but is prescisely as capable as a great warrior, and secretly statted as such.
    GENERATION ([-0.051730 + (-0.674245 + 1.206612 c) i - 1.117584 c + c^2] + c)^2 + c. If this is the first time you see this copy it into your signature, square the generation and add c. Fractal experiment.

Though noone was gonna pick it up, eh?

Squaring that lot is going to take a while.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it wasn't a game, but in a series of books I once read, the author re-fluffed a simple ring of invisibility in a children's book into the One Ring of Power which needed to be destroyed, requiring the heroes to take on a quest to a volcano in the heart of the evil realm over the course of a three-book epic to end the threat of the Dark Lord forever.

The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.
    Don't forget the cloistered clerics who are called wizards!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
    It was clearly the other way round: he looks like a gardener, but is prescisely as capable as a great warrior, and secretly statted as such.
    Pretty much as a good character ought to be, I think. Basically this mysterious character we're talking about is a fighter with ranks in Profession: Cook and Profession: Gardener; after all, a fighter is first and foremost a person living in a world.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Londo Calrissian.

Though, we actually haven't used him in a game yet.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Don't forget the cloistered clerics who are called wizards!
    Cloistered clerics with auras of courage and high combat skill who use holy swords and summon mounts?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

I HAVE A LIST!

• Ardent -> Valkyrie fancy powers divine junk going on rather than psionics.
    • Factotum -> Android, inspiration points into CPU and Opportunistic Piety turned into necromantic countermeasures or healing nano-machines. Totally rad.
    • Steampunk elves adapt to technology and rock out with steam guns instead of bows.
    • Spiked Chain -> Battle Accordion.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Cloistered clerics with auras of courage and high combat skill who use holy swords and summon mounts?
    A wizard (of fantasy literature) did it!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

All things begin with drunken debauchery.
    • Owlbears/Griffins? Created by drunken Wizard(s).
    • Humans? Created by drunk demon (Its semi unique, humans are of demonic origin, thus are treated like demons).
    • Elfs? Created by drunken Dwarves.
    • Dwarfs? Created by drunken Elfs.
    • Gods? created themselves in a drunken stupor.
    • Etc.
    Last edited by Rannath; 2011-08-22 at 08:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by mint View Post
    I HAVE A LIST!

• Ardent -> Valkyrie fancy powers divine junk going on rather than psionics.
    • Factotum -> Android, inspiration points into CPU and Opportunistic Piety turned into necromantic countermeasures or healing nano-machines. Totally rad.
    • Steampunk elves adapt to technology and rock out with steam guns instead of bows.
    • Spiked Chain -> Battle Accordion.

Hah! That last one really caught me by surprise .
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    Londo Calrissian.
    Londo? Calrissian?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    Pretty much as a good character ought to be, I think. Basically this mysterious character we're talking about is a fighter with ranks in Profession: Cook and Profession: Gardener; after all, a fighter is first and foremost a person living in a world.
    But the cross-class skills!
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-08-22 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Indeed. It's Londo replacing Lando. The easiest way to picture it is imagining Londo saying "Han, you old smuggler!" It actually works on a ton of levels because Lando and Londo are very, very similar characters, including the sort of things they say (e.g. Londo too, has a deal that is getting worse all the time). They just look radically different and have very different inflections.

We have someone in our group who can do the voice really well. It's hilarious. Again, haven't had a chance to implement it in a game yet.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2011-08-22 at 12:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I once played a warforged psion (shaper), in the same party as a dragonborn warforged psychic warrior and an elan something-or-other.

The fluff was that he was a reclusive gnome artificer who had built a hidden mountain base filled with an army of constructs, as well as a suit of power armor he never took off (to the point where his true race was unknown). His constructs used less magic and more mechanism than most (he had no crafting feats, and purchased them rather than expending XP on construction), but required a strange crystal to function. His base contained an enormous but immobile crystal which powered the constructs within, and he could summon the constructs there to his side until their power reserves ran out (astral construct). He went out into the world looking for details on the constructs of ancient civilisations, or at least more crystals.

The psychic warrior PC was a construct he had equipped with its own crystal, making it independent. The elan was an ally of his who had become an aberration by replacing parts of his body with crystal to overcome the weakness of the flesh. The DM referred to the group as "The Children of Daedalus".
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-08-22 at 01:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Handmaiden Devil (Pathfinder) into a Dragon Age'esque Broodmother is, I think, the weirdest refluff I've considered.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

14. - Top - End - #44

Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.
    I must use this.

My refluffs tend to be only partially refluffed, but they can get weird on occasion...

Had a Goblin OA Shaman (they have two actual spirit guides that each grant them a domain). One of his guides was Ruuka, the spirit of one of his former clansgoblins, supposedly high up, but never informing Riffraff (my character's name) exactly what he did. The other was Granite, a little pebble that he carried around in his pocket. Granite never communicated with Riffraff in any way, but it was Riffraff's favorite spirit guide. Unfortunately I never really got to play him really, the game died out before much happened.

I've had weirder, but that's all I can think of right now...
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

15. - Top - End - #45

I once had a player who was caught in a shipwreck and rescued by a force she called "The Kraken," and wandered the land with spectacular tentacular hair as its priest wrapped in anchor chains with a wedge anchor strapped to her back. Unfortunately, exposing people to the Kraken's Light caused some pretty bad effects, since most people (i.e. the living) weren't helped by it at all, suffering madness, a drain on their body, or worse, so converts were few. Though, when she showed it to undead, they immediately understood what it meant.

Azurin Dread Necromancer. Chain Shirt, Greataxe, Spiked Chain, Aberrant Feats, Tomb-Tainted Soul.

Other ones I've seen were a boy whose parents wished for a son to a fey king and were given one out of the rocks and trees (warforged; in fact, I've seen warforged used to represent a lot of stone people/homonculi/animated wand stick figures/etc.), mundane equipment turned into symbiotes (by doubling its "cost"), formians used to represent orcs and their natural corruption of the nearby landscape, and one of my favorites, a shapechanger druid tiefling with fiendish feats and the spontaneous spell variant to represent a woman with a connection to an eldritch horror (entangle made hands spring up from underground, the hunter form was a three-legged eyeless dog, etc.).

Also, every time I've seen the Shape Soulmeld feat it represents something else, from the necromantic energies someone naturally exudes to someone's satsui manifested as a literal weapon with which to cut people.

Oh, and while it's not a real refluff, I had a bard once in that same high seas campaign with the kraken girl who started playing Captain Dan riffs for his bardic music... this made me alter the campaign flavor to play up the "pirates with modern urban and gang culture" aspect. It was fun as hell. Especially because I got to name enemy groups like Band of the Bloody Slash and Three-Bladed Lotus.
    Last edited by hiryuu; 2011-08-22 at 06:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu View Post
    this made me alter the campaign flavor to play up the "pirates with modern urban and gang culture" aspect. It was fun as hell. Especially because I got to name enemy groups like Band of the Bloody Slash and Three-Bladed Lotus.
    Just so you know: If I ever play Exalted again, I will make sure Three-Bladed Lotus is a character. That's too good a name not to use.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
    Not in the first book. He clearly had no fighting skills when his adventures started. He developed them along the way. It's like the plucky comic relief becoming the party's strongest fighter, or Gilligan suddenly turning into a competent sailor.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Having all griffen-like beasts ( owlbears, maticores,ect) to all be a result of the same magical accident.
    In my world they're all the result of the same Wizard, and he did it intentionally. This was before he went crazy, too.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    In my world they're all the result of the same Wizard, and he did it intentionally. This was before he went crazy, too.
    Obviously, after you go mad you start making Cthulu-beasts and combining foods in ways that should best be left unsaid. Err, some of that could also happen if you are pregnant.

20. - Top - End - #50

Obviously, after you go mad you start making Cthulu-beasts and combining foods in ways that should best be left unsaid. Err, some of that could also happen if you are pregnant.
    He did, in fact, start cross-breeding Aboleths. It went downhill from there.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

21. - Top - End - #51

Elf-Like Fey (like nymphs and ragewalkers, and some little other) + Eladrin + Azata (pathfinder) are all fey, instead of outsider. They are the Sidhe hosts, the nobles of the Fey.

Angels (together with protectar) are servants of all gods, and so come in different shapes and aligments.

Daemons (pathfinder) all have humanoide appearances and are the fallen angels, angels who don't bow to manking and turned from the gods, in order to cause pain and suffering to the dirty humanoids.

Color does not define dragon aligment. Yay, killing gold dragons.

Most giants, humanoids, aberrations and magical beasts that I don't REALLY want to put in my setting / are too random / may be even cool, but there's another creature that has the same niche / whatever, gain a dragonblood subtype, appearance similar to some kind of dragon, and become Draconic Spawn (we dont have tiamat).

Oh, and Yuan-ti are created by the sarrukh, so there's a LOT of diversity: All basic yuan-ti have the "classical yuan-ti body" of the abominations (with tail instead of legs and snake head), and use the half-blood statistics + any template I care to add, with anything, really anything: Fire breath + resistance to fire / winged / frost breath and fur / whatever. The sarrukh created dozens of dozens of specialized races.

And those yuan-ti thinglings from SoX are born from a mammal woman, when yuan-ti corrupt the baby in the womb and it splits into 6 small snakelings that run for the nearest yuan-ti when born, then later grow arms. Very deformed (http://diegobastet.deviantart.com/ar...n-Ti-115548468), dumb, in eternal pain, and used as cannon fodder.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2011-08-23 at 01:23 PM.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Just so you know: If I ever play Exalted again, I will make sure Three-Bladed Lotus is a character. That's too good a name not to use.
    Behold your next character.

Spoiler
    Show

You need perform skills. They have perform skills, right?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    Elf-Like Fey (like nymphs and ragewalkers, and some little other) + Eladrin + Azata (pathfinder) are all fey, instead of outsider. They are the Sidhe hosts, the nobles of the Fey.

Angels (together with protectar) are servants of all gods, and so come in different shapes and aligments.

Color does not define dragon aligment. Yay, killing gold dragons.
    How are these strange? It looks like you just took a leaf out of 4e.
    My Steam profile

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmm, in a 4E game I took alligators (or maybe it was crocs) and used them for giant ants (might of made a modification or two).

I believe I took wolves and turned them into monkey-things in an Arcana Unearthed game. I was mean and gave them improved trip too. My group liked combat that made them have to change their tactics. The giant decided to just stay on the ground and take the penalties -- the PCs were tough enough to handle that.

Hmm, these aren't that strange though.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2011-08-23 at 01:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

melee Warlock---> Jedi

Eldritch Glaive--> Lightsaber
    Repelling Blast--> Force Push
    Charm-->"These aren't the droids elves your looking for"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    melee Warlock---> Jedi

Warforged Warlock w/ adamantine body: B2 Super Battle Droid.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    melee Warlock---> Jedi

Suggestion, Psionic. "These aren't the druids you're looking for."

True story.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    How are these strange? It looks like you just took a leaf out of 4e.
    Really?

Oh...

Then 4e may not be THAT HORRIBLY BAD.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Not in the first book. He clearly had no fighting skills when his adventures started. He developed them along the way. It's like the plucky comic relief becoming the party's strongest fighter, or Gilligan suddenly turning into a competent sailor.
    It helps that seven of the nine party members leave the party.

I also assumed that the gods put a divine power spell on him during the spider and tower chapters.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't know if this qualifies for 'strange' but...

I just helped a player from my summer group create a Big Daddy ala Bioshock

Refluffing a warforged with adamantie body + the homebrew "warforged features" powerful build. and a short-hafted fleshgrinding harpoon for a drill.