New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Strangest refluffs?

In 4E, a Warforged Druid => Transformer. (It's possible to build a Druid that is only ever in their Beast Form when in combat, so...)
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Warforged Binder.

The Vestiges were CD's he found in a ruin & inserting them gave him the powers. They needed to be decoded, hence why he couldn't use the Level 8 ones right off.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Incarnum, I find, is a very fun system to refluff. I almost never use the default fluff, but the mechanics are nifty and provide many fun opportunities for refluffing.

As such, I've turned a human totemist into a man possessed by a demon. The unfortunate man had had his own soul devoured by a demon, and then replaced by said demon, who was in fact my character. Rather than stupid blue equipment made out of 'soul energy' (whatever THAT is), the demon would overlay his stolen human body with his true form, creating wings, claws, or any other ability he currently needed.

In my homebrew setting, I've also refluffed incarnum. Incarnates and Totemists are the necromancers, who can pass between the realms of life and death, albeit temporarily. While in the underworld, they may seek out their ancestors, and the souls of the long dead heroes and request boons of them, bringing their legendary relics and symbols of their past abilities into the living world for a time.

One of my favorite, small refluffs however is that I had a gestalt character take the Vestigial Twin 'template' from the DMG II. It's normally reserved for NPCs only, costs +5 LA, and gives you an extra, limited standard action. Mechanically (at least in Gestalt) it's pretty awesome, but I had absolutely no interest in playing a character with a deformed person hanging off of them (for some reason). The character in question was a shaman of sorts, specifically skilled with shadows and illusions, so I pulled up a bit of voodoo/hoodoo lore, and said that it wasn't a vestigial twin, but their own animated shadow, semi autonomous but inextricably bound to them

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Warforged Binder.

The Vestiges were CD's he found in a ruin & inserting them gave him the powers. They needed to be decoded, hence why he couldn't use the Level 8 ones right off.
    That's my concept for the next Silly Adventure that I play. Really.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

5. - Top - End - #65

My Warforged druid didn't have Wild Shape...

He had BEAST MODE!!!

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    In 4E, a Warforged Druid => Transformer. (It's possible to build a Druid that is only ever in their Beast Form when in combat, so...)
    I swear I did not read this before I posted.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    One of my favorite, small refluffs however is that I had a gestalt character take the Vestigial Twin 'template' from the DMG II. It's normally reserved for NPCs only, costs +5 LA, and gives you an extra, limited standard action. Mechanically (at least in Gestalt) it's pretty awesome, but I had absolutely no interest in playing a character with a deformed person hanging off of them (for some reason). The character in question was a shaman of sorts, specifically skilled with shadows and illusions, so I pulled up a bit of voodoo/hoodoo lore, and said that it wasn't a vestigial twin, but their own animated shadow, semi autonomous but inextricably bound to them
    Now that. That I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #68

I think my favorite refluff comes from this thread. The basic gist is to give all the various fantasy races evolutionary connections. Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Humans, and Orcs all shared a hominid ancestry (which explains why humans can interbreed with pretty much all of them). Goblinoids are races of intelligent monkeys. And the like.

I was going to use the ideas for my own low-magic setting, which I never really fleshed out. It's still rattling around in my head a bit.
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

- Mordecai, Lackadaisy Cats

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Velicia, this site doesn't have a smiley happy enough to express my joy right now. I hope your setting gets fleshed out, I'd love to see what you do with it.

I've refluffed an elemental-templated mammoth into a huge primordial beast.

I want to refluff a warforged warlock into a golem-like creature infused with magical powers upon creation.

I've refluffed a lot of things, actually, but none come to mind. I'm a huge fan of refluffing, but I can't think of enough to really make a post for you guys. Sorry about that.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    Velicia, this site doesn't have a smiley happy enough to express my joy right now. I hope your setting gets fleshed out, I'd love to see what you do with it.
    D'awww you flatter me I might try to get all my thoughts together. Nothing too mind boggling I think, but it sounds kinda neat in my mind at least.

I've refluffed a lot of things, actually, but none come to mind. I'm a huge fan of refluffing, but I can't think of enough to really make a post for you guys. Sorry about that.
    I like to refluff too. I generally prefer to think up my own settings than use book settings, overall.
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

- Mordecai, Lackadaisy Cats

11. - Top - End - #71

That's it. +1
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I've done crazy refluffing with equipment, not as much for characters. My weirdest was when I played up the 'fey' aspect of 3.5 warlocks. Old human woman, wild hair, crazy colorful clothes, occasional sprays of glitter or lightning in the air around her ... she was exalted (CG of course) and also took levels in paladin of freedom and eldritch knight. Had a coure eladrin familiar!

Weird Word = baleful utterance
    Colorwings = fell flight
    Eye-Twist = walk unseen
    Nymph Charm = charm
    Strange Sending = warlock's call

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Probably already been mentioned, but Soulmelds as tattoos (a la Tattooed Monk) rather than glowing bits of gear is one I really like (I forget who I first saw mention it).

Truenaming being similar to Sorcery, except instead of a Dragon etc. Truenamers have a Deity somewhere way back in their family tree. Hence when they give the universe orders, it listens.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #74

My DM knows that half of us know the MM backwards and forwards, so he likes to change things up a bit. My favorite of all time is the brachiating basilisk with the 60' move. ("You hear crashing from the forest canopy..." "We look up, trying to pinpoint the source!")
    6-Cha Druid avatar by Savannah!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Not in the first book. He clearly had no fighting skills when his adventures started. He developed them along the way. It's like the plucky comic relief becoming the party's strongest fighter, or Gilligan suddenly turning into a competent sailor.
    I don't know if he CLEARLY had no fighting skills - we never saw him fighting. But obviously he picked up a lot of Fighter levels on the way; easy, when you think about all the XP he must have received from fighting Wargs, goblins, trolls, a Balrog Balor, and so on.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I ran a steampunk techpriest warlock once. His detect magic were sensors, etc.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

I refluffed a warforged druid (shape change variant) into a battle droid with a variety of “combat modes”. He had “stalker mode”, “dreadnought mode”, “flight mode” etc. he also used summon nature’s ally to launch drones.

Lets see, I refluffed gnomes into jungle dwelling pygmies, complete with grass skirts and coconut bras. I’ve had a bunch of others but I can’t recall them all.

I also refluffed Elans (not him ) as time traveling planeswalkers who are preparing the world for the invasion of the far realms. which has already happened according to their memory, they just went back in time to prepare everyone for a huge inter-plane war.