New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Magus Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

Thing about Frostbite is it's level based. You get one attack per Caster Level. I got it at 4th level, so I can make four attacks with it through my weapon (bastard sword).
    Yes, but remember you are only granted 1 extra attack by spellstrike+spellcombat.
    Touch spells can only deliver as many as 6 charges at once, costing a full-round action (or as part of the casting if all targets are willing).

You don't gain much in the way of extra attacks with these things: Note that spellstrike alone only lets you substitute the -free- touch attack.

So, in short, that spell, used via spellstrike, still requires you to use your normal array of attacks. Don't expect to run its full range of targets if you plan on spamming spells :D

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hi

Erm - where is the ruling that you can do 6 attacks by activating a wand?
    (Sharing among willing targets is one thing, getting extra attacks/rnd isn't).

You don't get 'extra' attacks. As previously stated, you just transfer the 'attack' through your weapon. With higher Caster levels, you just use up the extra 'attacks' on successive tounds.

Same as if you crit, you use your weapon's crit modifier for both spell and weapon, but the spell multiplier for spells, and the weapon multiplier for the weapon.

Thanks
    Paul H
    Last edited by Paul H; 2011-08-29 at 12:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

Erm - where is the ruling that you can do 6 attacks by activating a wand?
    (Sharing among willing targets is one thing, getting extra attacks/rnd isn't).

You don't get 'extra' attacks. As previously stated, you just transfer the 'attack' through your weapon. With higher Caster levels, you just use up the extra 'attacks' on successive tounds.

Same as if you crit, you use your weapon's crit modifier for both spell and weapon, but the spell multiplier for spells, and the weapon multiplier for the weapon.

Thanks
    Paul H

6 touch attacks. It's explained in the range section.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.
    I just clarified that spell combat cannot grant you more than 1 extra attack by virtue of the way touch spells let you to deliver more than one.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    6 touch attacks. It's explained in the range section.
    That text applies to spells that require you to touch many people in the same round, such as Teleport. You don't get to make more than one attack with a spell-charged hand per round (I think it's not in the PFSRD yet, but there's a forum post by James Jacobs on the Paizo forums confirming that).

I just clarified that spell combat cannot grant you more than 1 extra attack by virtue of the way touch spells let you to deliver more than one.
    Just to be sure, spell combat does grant you an extra attack:

Using Spell Combat:
    (1) Make your primary weapon attacks at -2 penalty.
    (2) Cast Arcane Mark (defensively).
    (3) Using Spellstrike, deliver that touch-spell through a free weapon attack (at -2 again).

It's less efficient than TWF since the defensive casting might fail, and you don't get the benefits of ITWF and GTWF. On the upside, you get to use your souped-up main weapon for all attacks, which is particularly nice at later levels when you add special abilities to the weapon from your arcane pool. Also, if you start 5' away from your enemy, you can cast normally, then step in to deliver your attacks, negating the failure chance.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 2011-09-13 at 07:21 AM.
    Catharsis

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    That text applies to spells that require you to touch many people in the same round, such as Teleport. You don't get to make more than one attack with a spell-charged hand per round (I think it's not in the PFSRD yet, but there's a forum post by James Jacobs on the Paizo forums confirming that).
    You can deliver them with normal attacks. The spells that require you to touch multiple willings get to do it to up to 6 as part of the casting. On subsequent rounds, you can touch as many as 6 as a full-round action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Just to be sure, spell combat does grant you an extra attack:

Using Spell Combat:
    (1) Make your primary weapon attacks at -2 penalty.
    (2) Cast Arcane Mark (defensively).
    (3) Using Spellstrike, deliver that touch-spell through a free weapon attack (at -2 again).

It's less efficient than TWF since the defensive casting might fail, and you don't get the benefits of ITWF and GTWF. On the upside, you get to use your souped-up main weapon for all attacks, which is particularly nice at later levels when you add special abilities to the weapon from your arcane pool. Also, if you start 5' away from your enemy, you can cast normally, then step in to deliver your attacks, negating the failure chance.
    you realize you just agreed with me, right? Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    you realize you just agreed with me, right? Just to make sure we're on the same page here.
    Yes. That was aimed to counter other people's assertion that you don't get a "free" attack.
    Catharsis

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

The 6 touches are touching 6 willing targets. You only get 1 attempt at an unwilling touch. So technically you could get 6 additional attacks, they just have to be against people letting you hit them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Oh! Better example!

DM: That's it! Rocks fall, everyone dies!
    PC1: I have improved evasion
    PC2: Natural twenty on the reflex save!
    PC3: My reflex save is +15, and I didn't roll a one, so I'm good.

Yeah... do you see that working?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I highly recommend that if you are going to make a Magus that you look at this forum. It is well worded and should be able to answer any questions on Touch spells, Spellstrike and Spell combat.

As for Frostbite and Chill touch. I recommend again treating them like a touch spell with more then one charge.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nler?A-...rike-and-Spell