New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [Pathfinder] Battle Cleric Help

So one of our old campaigns is being brought back. This game was originally 3.5. we have to update (or recreate in my case, since I can't find my old character sheet) them to Pathfinder.

So, I was wondering if you guys could help me out: anything from the Pathfinder books is open.

The character concept is a 15th level Battle Cleric. Small, young (was anyways) girl, who turned huge and swung a Greatclub. She was definitely all about chaos, always pushing that concept. Her Alignment was CG.

The dm originally gave us unique magical weapons, mine was called a Greatclub of the Ettin. It had damage enhancements based on a random roll (as in the weapon could potentially do x2 or x3 damage regardless if I rolled a crit or not).

Since I don't actually have the stats for the weapon, just use that as a reference, rather than a hard rule. Although I assume she would probably had stuck with it.

Since that is all I have to build on, I am not sure what direction to take her as a battle cleric (there are several healers in the group, I do not recall if we have a dedicated healer anymore though, but she will refuse to be main healer)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Battle Cleric Help

Well, you could consider a crusader build. You'd get more combat feats, but one less spell per day, and only one domain.

So at level 15 (assuming War Domain), you could have 3 bonus combat feats and 1 floating combat feat for 15 rounds a day. You could get Weapon Focus at 1, Weapon Specialization at 10, Greater Weapon Focus at 15. I don't know what you'd get at 5... Heavy Armour Specialization? The tactics subdomain would allow you to pick the better of two rolls for initiative (you count as your own ally).

I imagine you're going to use Righteous Might to go from Small to Medium. Unless you're not actually a "Small" girl, you're just a young Medium girl. In which case it will take you from medium to large. If you actually want to become huge, you'll want either a magic item or special ability of Giant Form (polymorph).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

yes, when I said small girl I mean young, not actual size category (ditto further on with the word huge) she is naturally medium. she will turn large, and when she gets 9th level spells she may actually start using Miracle for either Giant form 2 or Giant size (from complete arcane 3.5, 7th level Wu Jen spell).

which book has the crusader build?

I also want to make it clear, that while I am doing a bit of OP, it is not the ultimate goal of the character, but she still needs to stand next to the front line.
    Last edited by motionmatrix; 2011-08-25 at 01:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Crusader is in Ultimate Combat.

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

I just took a look at this myself.

I found 3 options;
    Full Cleric - 2 domains, Full spells
    Holy Warrior - Full BAB, no domains, d10 HD (Campaign setting)
    Crusader - 1 Domain, -1 spell/day, 6 extra feats (Ultimate Combat)

I dont think Holy Warrior is specifically an archetype so i was wondering if you could throw Crusader and Holy Warrior together for Full BAB, d10 HD's, no domains, 6 feats and -1 spell/day. That could be interesting... Fighter with spells and channel energy.

Ultimately went with full spells/2 domains with Travel and Growth domain for mobility and enlarge.

Tough decision though.

GL
    Blood
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2011-08-25 at 12:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I like the concept of Crusader, you still have the benefits of a domain power(s).

I think that may be the way to go, the loss of spells does not sound that horrible, even if one domain is. Probably not war, since a shifting feat is not that great a power and there are better spell lists and powers from other domains.

As far as feats are concerned, I do not know if I want to make DEX a dump stat, since having a large Attack range will be common and lack of AoO is the main reason I am not sure I should.

Also in order to do it, I would still have to grab Heavy weapon proficiency, so a feat has to be invested regardless if its Combat Reflexes or not.

My biggest problem with that, is that it's not Turn Undead anymore, but Channel Energy, a good, if not great, ability that requires Cha. I don't know what are going to be dumps yet.

So my dump will definitely be INT, and I don't know what else.

On another feat note: would the Vital Strike route be subpar for this kind of melee character?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I also did not mention anything about Prestige Classes, but I am not opposed to the idea if it fits.

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

Yeah, my Dwarven Cleric got in trouble because I didn't know that turning (and when we switched to pathfinder, channel energy) keyed off of charisma. Serves me right for not reading the entire entry. At least my charisma was only 10. It could have been lower. Fortunately, it only adds to the number of times per day you can use channel energy, it does not change the efficacy of it.

As to prestige classes: with the domain abilities, I haven't really been tempted very much. At least, with fire domain, fire resist 20 has been very useful.

Holy Vindicator looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up the domain advancement or any levels of divine spell progression. I suppose if I was going for concept, sure, but Cleric has plenty of ways to improve to-hit, it doesn't really need full BAB progression.

9. - Top - End - #9

Griffon

How about the Ferocity Sub-domain of the Strength domain?

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Forgot to mention, I took a level of fighter for the feat and weap/armor proficiencies. Seems to be working well.

Feats I like are Extra Channel, Selective Channel, Power Attack, Cleave, Furious Focus, Great Cleave, Warrior Priest and Extend Spell.

GL
    Blood~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I believe I will be going with the Chaos domain, protean subdomain. It fits the character concept and gives me some nice battlefield control. Not sure if I will go with Crusader option. If I do not, then I would probably take the Luck domain, Fate subdomain.

As far as feats I think I will have to take Craft magic arms and armor and Craft wondrous Items. It will stretch my gold budget, and the dm accepts it as I am using up two feats in order to get the savings. (This really hurts significantly less in pathfinder, back in the days of 3.0/3.5 the feats hurt more and you had to pay xp too, and my group enforces it).

I may give up the Greatclub, maybe go with Greatsword or Falchion for all the critical potential (remember I will be size large, maybe more).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So I think I have a prototype for the character.

Let me know what you think:

TRIANA, High Priestess of Chance, Luck, and Chaos.
    CR 14
    Female Human Cleric 15
    CG Medium humanoid (human, human)
    Init +5; Senses Perception +28,

DEFENSE

AC*19,*touch*14,*flat-footed*15*(+4*Dex,*+5*Giant Hide +1 (Storm/Fortification (Moderate)/Glamered),*)
    hp*142*(15d8)+45
    Fort*+15,*Ref*+14,*Will*+22
    Defensive*Abilities*Bit of Luck*(12/day),

OFFENSE

Speed*20 ft.
    Melee*greatsword +1 (corrosive burst/holy/menacing)*(two*handed)*+19/+14/+9*((two*handed)*2d6+10/17-20)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special*Attacks Channel Positive Energy*(8d6, DC 22, 8/day),
    Giant-Hide Armor Spell-Like Abilities: giant form ii ( DC , 1/Day)

Prepared Spells Prepared Spell List
    Cleric (CL 15th):
    8th - holy aura (DC 27) , *moment of prescience (DC )
    7th - regenerate (DC 26) , repulsion (DC 26) , *spell turning (DC )
    6th - blade barrier (DC 25) , heal (DC 25) , mislead , word of recall
    5th - break enchantment (DC 15) , breath of life (DC 24) , mark of justice , righteous might (2) (DC ) , spell resistance (DC 24)
    4th - air walk , divine power (3) (DC ) , freedom of movement (DC 14) , magic weapon (greater) (DC 23)
    3rd - magic vestment (DC 22) , nap stack (DC 22) , prayer , protection from energy (DC 13) , remove curse (DC 22) , stone shape
    2nd - aid , grace (DC ) , make whole (DC 21) , remove paralysis (DC 21) , silence , weapon of awe (DC 21)
    1st - bless , deathwatch , divine favor (2) (DC ) , shield of faith (2) (DC 20) , *true strike (DC )
    0th - detect magic , light , read magic (DC )
    *: Domain spell.
    Deity None; Domains Fate Subdomain,

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 29, Cha 20
    Base*Atk*+11;*CMB*+16;*CMD*35

Feats Alertness, Armor Proficiency, Light, Armor Proficiency, Medium, Cleave, Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, Defensive Combat Training, Endurance, Great Cleave, Greater Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Improved Critical (Greatsword), Power Attack, Selective Channeling, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)

Skills Acrobatics +5, Appraise +1, Bluff +5, Climb +5, Craft (Untrained) +1, Diplomacy +5, Disguise +5, Escape Artist +5, Fly +5, Heal +9, Intimidate +5, Linguistics(Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Drow, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Terran) +19, Perception +28, Perform (Untrained) +5, Ride +5, Sense Motive +31, Spellcraft +19, Stealth +5, Survival +9, Swim +5,

Languages*Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Drow, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, Undercommon

Special*Qualities Bonus Feat, Orisons, Skilled, Spontaneous Casting, Tugging Strands, Diminished Spellcasting, Bonus Feats (x5), Legion’s Blessing, Fate Subdomain

Possessions belt of physical might (str/dex) +4; boots of speed; carpet of flying, 5 ft. by 5 ft.; cloak of resistance +4; giant hide +1 (storm/fortification (moderate)/glamered); headband of mental prowess (wis/cha) +6; holy symbol (silver); ioun stone, dark blue rhomboid; phylactery of positive channeling; ring of sustenance; metamagic rod of extend; metamagic rod of silent; strand of prayer beads; Glove of Storing [ Greatsword +1 (Corrosive Burst/Holy/Menacing); ]; Glove of Storing [ Metamagic Rod of Lesser Quicken; ]; Handy Haversack [ Holy Symbol (Wooden) (x11); Potion (Shield/Wizard/1st) (x21); Oil of Bless Weapon (x10); Scroll (Comprehend Languages) (x5); Wand of Protection from Evil; Wand of Protection from Law; Wand of True Strike; ];

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

UPDATE:

This character is not a mortal character, she will have Divine Rank 0, and this 15th level character is her avatar in the mortal realm.

Our old campaign ended with us turning into gods. I did not expect the GM to actually continue down that path, but it seems that is the way it will go.

SO, the big question now is, anyone have any opinions on what direction to take this?

I will probably take the portfolio of Chaos, Luck, Chance, and battle. Not necessarily in that order.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Holy Warrior - Full BAB, no domains, d10 HD (Campaign setting)
    Can you be more specific on the source? I can't find this on the SRD, through either the Cleric page or their search function.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Can you be more specific on the source? I can't find this on the SRD, through either the Cleric page or their search function.
    In the original Pathfinder campaign setting book, all base classes got a variant. It has since been superseded by a new edition that changes things both for fluff and crunch.
    Unfortunately, you will not find it in their SRD.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-09-22 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, I see. Oh well.