New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Hel Me Create an Optional Boss Monster for a 3.5 Game!

Hey All:

I'm running a sea/ship based 3.5 game and want to include an optional boss monster the players can choose to seek out (sort of like the Weapons from FFVII).

It chould be a creature that will be a challenge for a 4 person party at 10th level (the game is e10).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hel Me Create an Optional Boss Monster for a 3.5 Game!

Krakens are pretty badass; slap some templates on it (such as Winged) and you should be golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zaratan from the Arms and Equipment guide. Pretty much an island-sized sea turtle; Template to taste. Personally, I'd tack on pseudonatural just because.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,
    and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Help Me Create an Optional Boss Monster for a 3.5 Game!

Setting already has a Psionic Kraken -- controls a cult of Illithid-like creatures to do its bidding.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've had good experiences with the Dragon Turtle

They start at CR 9, but have straightforward hit die advancement with the fantastic dragon hit die, and/or it should be easy enough to find a favorite template or 3 to slap onto it.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Krakens are pretty badass; slap some templates on it (such as Winged) and you should be golden.
    I put the Ghost template on a Kraken once and it didn't turn out very well for my party of 15th level characters. The Kraken was reaching through the walls of the ship from below and was killing NPCs left and right. The PCs were terrified to even try to attack back, but eventually they defeated the Kraken.

To this day, the players in my game still fear for the return of the Ghost Kraken.
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2011-09-21 at 02:39 PM.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Quick and easy naval encounter that's a bit off the beaten path:

Storm Elemental (MMIII). CR10 for Greater, CR12 for Elder.

Include an actual storm at sea, with all the required balance concentration checks that come with it..

However, you mentioned something about an encounter that comes with a bonus item with it. For that, here's one of the ideas I've been tucking away to spring on my PCs.

White Dragon (CR10 for Adult, CR12 for Mature Adult) that lairs inside an iceberg. Only way in or out is below the water level. In fact, the entire lair could well be, with the possible exception of a naturally-lit hollow chamber near the top with fairly thin walls.

The treasure horde includes a Major Iceheart (Frostburn 110)...or a toned-down version with not quite the range, but stronger than the mere Minor Iceheart. Something sufficient to sustain an iceberg in whatever temperature zone this misplaced iceberg is floating.
    Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?