New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    what happens to the tiny people, including tiny Doctor
    When the Doctor waves to River from inside the eye, you can see the TARDIS with an open door behind him.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    When the Doctor waves to River from inside the eye, you can see the TARDIS with an open door behind him.
    oh...hadn't noticed.
    so..the tardis shrinks too?.. mmh
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    oh...hadn't noticed.
    time and RELATIVE dimensions in space. or it could just be miniturised by the tessalector's field
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    oh...hadn't noticed.
    time and RELATIVE dimensions in space. or it could just be miniturised by the tessalector's field
    In "Let's Kill Hitler", River piloted the TARDIS directly into the miniaturized robot in order to save Amy and Rory. So yeah, it just shrinks when necessary I guess.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-10-09 at 07:40 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    In "Let's Kill Hitler", River piloted the TARDIS directly into the miniaturized robot in order to save Amy and Rory. So yeah, it just shrinks when necessary I guess.
    Must be the Tesslector field. I'm fairly sure that the TARDIS being able to change its own size would require a working Chameleon Circuit.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I don't think the chameleon circuit has anything to do with that.

EDIT: What I mean by that is I don't think it could change the size of the occupants.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-10-09 at 09:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mario View Post
    Must be the Tesslector field. I'm fairly sure that the TARDIS being able to change its own size would require a working Chameleon Circuit.
    Only if the "size change" function is that closely related to the "hide me" function.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I don't think the chameleon circuit has anything to do with that.

EDIT: What I mean by that is I don't think it could change the size of the occupants.
    It did back in Season 2!

I mean, that was, what, forty-eight years ago? And it was a mistake at the time. But still.

Or wait, no. The TARDIS changed the size of its inhabitants, but the chameleon circuit was still broken at that point, so presumably not chameleon-related.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    It did back in Season 2!

I mean, that was, what, forty-eight years ago? And it was a mistake at the time. But still.

Or wait, no. The TARDIS changed the size of its inhabitants, but the chameleon circuit was still broken at that point, so presumably not chameleon-related.
    I would love to have the time to go back and watch the old DW series. But, alas, I do not.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Fixed points aren't so much fixed as the image of a fixed point is. I know that sounds confusing but take Water of Mars. Had the Doctor's arrogance not taken control of him to the point where he thought the laws of time didn't apply anymore, he could have taken the Mars crew to one of the billions of other livable, for a human, planets in the universe, not necessarily in the same time either, and the headlines back on Earth would've still read that Adelaide Brooke died in the nuclear explosion that happened. However, the Doctor decided to be an idiot and took the crew back to Earth on the same night that the station blew up and time corrected itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Wait wait wait... what happens to the tiny people, including tiny Doctor, when they cremate Robot Doctor? Also, could the tiny people fake a regeneration? Well, I guess they could, since they did.
    The Doctor mentions something about getting a bit singed at the end of the finale while he's talking with Dorium, so there could've been a switch at some point.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Based on what we've seen, Fixed Points are "fixed" in terms of effect, not in terms of cause.

Vesuvius always goes off, but the actions of the pyroviles made it so that the Doctor was the one who initiated it. Without the pyroviles sucking off the heat, it would have gone off without the Doctor's help and he wouldn't have dared stop it.

Adelaide Brook's reported death always has to happen. As Suchimo points out, if the Doctor had put her somewhere else and not went on his "Timelord Victorious" monologue, her actual breathing wouldn't have been a problem.

The Doctor had to be seen being executed, to the satisfaction of the Silence, on Lake Silencio. Him actually dying isn't a requirement to the Fixed Point.

The key is not what happens at the Fixed Point, but what happens next. The Silence have to believe the Doctor died. Humanity needs to hear that Adelaide died, and Vesuvius has to go off. As long as the effect is maintained, it would appear Fixed Points can be modified. It is, however, extremely risky and if the effect changes in any measurable way the fabric rips.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Missed chances

Spoils everything ever, particularly seasons 5 and 6.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's go back to the Pandorica Opens ending and what it seems to suggest: PlasticRory kills Amy before she spawns River. TARDIS doesn't like paradox but can maybe handle it to some extent, so it doesn't want to let River out. Oh yeah, then goes boom. Can there possibly be an explanation for disembodied voice at this point that'd not suck?

The next episode seems to have a very complicated plot to hide the fact that plot doesn't work, but who cares, it's a lot of fun.

Thing that overall seems to be missed about the Doctor's death: changing anything about that has most of what they do in season 6 go poof, depending on when Amy is kidnapped. Within the premises of the show, there's enough there to make a timey-wimey catastrophe... Sure it's not crystal clear whether it was the Dr and season 6's happenings that made it a Fixed Event or those of Silence, but that's not new for Dr Who either :)

Lastly, if you don't care for Mary Sues (and I generally don't), you're watching the wrong show.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Colour, a new Doctor, and a new feel to the program. It must be...

Season Seven (1970)
    Third Doctor/Liz

Spearhead From Space – Just the change from the previous season is striking. Colour, and this one recorded all on film, with a more mature feel to the script. Some classic auton moments too as they assail the high street, and it explains where the Third Doctor gets his style from.

Doctor Who And The Silurians – Unfortunately, every Silurian story after this one has pretty much followed the same plot. Perhaps not the best Who, but not bad for this season which, too be honest, is a bit worthy and dull.

Honourable Mentions
    The Ambassadors Of Death – starts well, with some good atmosphere and mystery, aided by some creepy incidental music. Gets a bit bogged down going in and out of the same cellar, and I can’t remember what the point of it all was.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Missed chances

Quote Originally Posted by Lokey View Post
    Spoils everything ever, particularly seasons 5 and 6.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's go back to the Pandorica Opens ending and what it seems to suggest: PlasticRory kills Amy before she spawns River. TARDIS doesn't like paradox but can maybe handle it to some extent, so it doesn't want to let River out. Oh yeah, then goes boom. Can there possibly be an explanation for disembodied voice at this point that'd not suck?
    All the discussion of fixed points aside (my angle on this is: It is what the plot says, and that's not a whole lot. Maybe they ALWWAYS Happened this way, and maybe EVERYTHING always happened iin the exact same way, or maybe not and maybe it really is 'appearances must be the same, so history progresses as it should' or whatever... I don't really care because I'm sure not Moffat nor anyone else will ever give is a clear answer and so I will just look at things the way they happen....

okay, what I wanted to say: I like the idea, though it never occurred to me, to be honest. The series is a bit vague on paradoxes but assuming the paradoxes caused by the rip in time do not just make things go poof but anything else does then this means that would explain what happened to the Tardis. Though, it would mean since the rip as essential to thing happening this way, it itself was part of the cause of the paradox that created itself... but Moffat loves that stuff, so yeah.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hesitant optimism require me to state that maybe, a review? But I don't know what to review though. Tomorrow? Or Thursday? Not Friday though, probably.
    This is a good thing?
    Perhaps?

Endless question marks?
    And thematically interesting ways of writing of review that isn't just endless gushing about magical character interaction?

I'm going to kill that door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Hesitant optimism require me to state that maybe, a review? But I don't know what to review though.
    I thought you had the next few sort-of planned out? 'Wedding of River Song', 'The Unicorn and the Wasp', then continuing on through NuWho Season 4. Or is it a question of simply which order?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

17. - Top - End - #797

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I thought you had the next few sort-of planned out? 'Wedding of River Song', 'The Unicorn and the Wasp', then continuing on through NuWho Season 4. Or is it a question of simply which order?
    Order.
    I've had 'TUatW' on the back-burner for what, a month now? But I'm guessing from the number of pages that 'TWoRS' is contentious so . . .

Really, I'll bow to whatever people want. I have no will of mine own after all.
    No food either.

I really am going to kill that door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for Wedding, mostly because I want to hear your opinion on it, it was a very controversial episode to say the least.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I feel stupid asking but... Door? What door?
    Well, whatever it is, if it is a hindrance to Curly it shall die a horrible death!

As for reviews... Me personally I'd be more interested in WoRS but if you want to get over with TUatW I understand, it's been so long and you said you love Christie, so... still, don't stress yourself, beginning of classes is more important.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-10-12 at 07:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #800

My vote is for Wedding of River Song.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Definitely agreed
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote is for Genesis of the Daleks.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Banned

Griffon

This wasn't the first time the TARDIS "shrunk". It did once before with the Third Doctor and his Companion Jo Grant when it materialized inside a con-man's miniaturized zoo.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    My vote is for Genesis of the Daleks.
    My vote is for Wedding of the Daleks!
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

25. - Top - End - #805
    Bugbear in the Playground

My vote is for Wedding of the Daleks!
    The Genesis of River Song's Wasp Wedding to the Unicorn Dalek?

Spoiler
    Show
    The unicorn Dalek is the Rani.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    The Genesis of River Song's Wasp Wedding to the Unicorn Dalek?

Spoiler
    Show
    The unicorn Dalek is the Rani.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And the titular Wasp is the Valeyard, or so we're led to believe...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

27. - Top - End - #807
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And the titular Wasp is the Valeyard, or so we're led to believe...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except River Song is an Auton, and her Wasp was a fake.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except River Song is an Auton, and her Wasp was a fake.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh you wacky people and your zany theories... of course River is the Valeyard and the Unicorn Dalek is the Auton. But the Wasp might be the Rani, we have to see...

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh you wacky people and your zany theories... of course River is the Valeyard and the Unicorn Dalek is the Auton. But the Wasp might be the Rani, we have to see...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know this might sound silly, but I thought they were all the Rani, just from different points in time
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

30. - Top - End - #810
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I know this might sound silly, but I thought they were all the Rani, just from different points in time
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is true.
    The Valeyard is the Rani, as is Davros. Therefore, the Daleks are all also the Rani.
    Resident Vancian Apologist