New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

I don't think there would be any aging problems with McGann coming back. The TV movie may have been the only 8th Doctor story we saw, but he had other adventures.

We never saw him regenerate into Eccleston, so we have no idea how old he looked at the time. For all we know centuries passed between the movie and new series (and it's well established that the Doctor is lying about his age).
    Last edited by Starscream; 2011-11-22 at 10:22 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

2. - Top - End - #932
    Firbolg in the Playground

We interrupt this discussion to bring you important video game related news:

Any Whovians who also play Team Fortress 2 may be interested to learn of this new item (Which is, and always will be, cool).
    Needless to say, I want one.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

I never understood what was so great about Team Fortress hats.

But then, I last played this game before there were even alternate weapons for characters other than the Doctor.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Season Eleven (1973-1974)
    Third Doctor/Sarah-Jane

The last of the Pertwee series, but also the first for Lis Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith. Although he'll never be my favourite, Pertwee's Doctor has grown on me. The problems are generally not with the actor's portrayal (a surprisingly serious version of the Doctor), more with the six-part serials that tend, for the most part, to feel badly padded. I guess the production team must have felt the same as from now on most stories are four-parters.

The Time Warrior – introduces Sarah-Jane Smith and Sontarans, in an entertaining historical setting and good guest stars (including Jeremy “Boba Fett” Bulloch and June “Dot Cotton” Brown). Tightly scripted with not as much running back and forth as most Pertwee stories.

Death To The Daleks – I’ve not chosen a dalek story for a while, so it’s about time. Certainly not the strongest of episodes, but the overall season is quite weak. Good for the idea of the living city, the city “tentacles” and the scene where one attacks a dalek. Bad for the awful incidental musical theme for the daleks.

Honourable Mentions
    Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Watch a couple for the sheer badness of the dinosaur models. Give a wry smile as you bear in mind that the story was only made because Clifford Culley of Westbury Design and Optical Ltd. pushed for it because he wanted to showcase their dinosaur models. Actually, the rest isn’t bad, with an interesting arc for Mike Yates.

Planet Of The Spiders – Potentially a good story, with a touch of Buddhist philosophy. Terrible acting by the humans of the eponymous planet, some rather archaic “yellowing-up” of western actors to portray east Asians, a long and pointless chase and some dodgy spider models are just about redeemed by the ending.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    Honourable Mentions
    Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Watch a couple for the sheer badness of the dinosaur models. Give a wry smile as you bear in mind that the story was only made because Clifford Culley of Westbury Design and Optical Ltd. pushed for it because he wanted to showcase their dinosaur models. Actually, the rest isn’t bad, with an interesting arc for Mike Yates.
    BBC special effects, still famous through-out the world
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    We interrupt this discussion to bring you important video game related news:

Any Whovians who also play Team Fortress 2 may be interested to learn of this new item (Which is, and always will be, cool).
    Needless to say, I want one.
    isn't there a fez to go with that?

i feel it's Medic time...

or maybe Skyrim.

Edit: Fez is for Spy...
    I was waiting for someone to call "Doctor" and me to appear Fez & bow tie
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2011-11-28 at 04:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Orc in the Playground

For all you Homestuck readers who might show your faces in this thread, here's a little gem I came across:
    http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/2693
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Edit: Fez is for Spy...
    I was waiting for someone to call "Doctor" and me to appear Fez & bow tie
    I kind of suspect the reason the Spy can wear the bow-tie may be because he already had the fez...

Anyway, what you should do is play Spy (with bow-tie and fez) when the enemy Medic has the bow-tie. Disguise as said Medic. Then when you backstab someone and drop your disguise, "I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

I kind of suspect the reason the Spy can wear the bow-tie may be because he already had the fez...

Anyway, what you should do is play Spy (with bow-tie and fez) when the enemy Medic has the bow-tie. Disguise as said Medic. Then when you backstab someone and drop your disguise, "I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."
    Dear Giant, can you please implement a "Like" button in the forums? O need one badly now.

10. - Top - End - #940

Also, stuff in the Radio Times, people talking about the Christmas special.

Matt Smith apparently has been doing his own stunts, including jumping away from a big fireball.

Bill Bailey describes his Who debut as the equivalent of a knighthood. Apparently his oldest memory of watching TV is hiding behind the sofa from the Cybermen, and he was left with an irrational fear of leaving doors open for years afterwards.

Alongside Bill Bailey will be Arabella Weir, one of only two women to have played the Doctor (The other being Joanna Lumley) - she starred in an audio play in 2003 wherein the Doctor regenerated into a woman. Interestingly, on the behind-the-scenes feature which accompanied the play, she revealed that she wasn't a long-term Who fan, and only did it because her lodger and best friend at the time was a big fan - said lodger was a little known actor called David Tennant.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

you are forgetting the doctor-donna
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #942
    Banned

Daemon

Sunken Valley returns! Stay tuned for a review come 25th or 26th!

My thoughts on tDtWatW: Won't suck. It won't be as good as Christmas Carol but it will be the best thing Moffat's written in...365 days. Why? Because this special (like the last special, Blink, Library, Fireplace and Empty Child) is based around a gimmick, in this case a homage to CS Lewis best novel (before he turned into christian-Phillip Pullman (although Pullman could be Atheist- CS Lewis)). Moffat is good at this. Moffat will play with his gimmick and put clever jokes in it too. This is what Moffat is best at. Then of course we will get suck in Season 7 (Autumn 2012). But this will be good.

13. - Top - End - #943

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Curler
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are forgetting the Doctor-Donna.
    Actually I was just quoting the Radio Times, but in any case it's not the same thing. And put a Curler on that, her term ends, like, tomorrow or something so she'll probably start followin this thread more regularly again soon.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2011-12-02 at 09:48 AM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Short prequel to the Christmas episode. It's on the BBC site so Americans & assorted other foreigners may not be able to see it.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Short prequel to the Christmas episode. It's on the BBC site so Americans & assorted other foreigners may not be able to see it.
    I am in Italy, and I can.. it's looking good
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought this was worth a mention.

Don't know how many of you watch that new My Little Pony cartoon (the whole internet, it seems sometimes), but there's a recurring background pony who has a slight resemblance to David Tennant, and has an hourglass shaped mark on his flanks. Fans have dubbed him "Doctor Whooves".

Old news, and probably a coincidence. Until the most recent episode, which featured three other background characters who look...oddly familiar. Note that they all have the hourglass as well.

Seems the producers of that show have a reputation for acknowledging the various memes it spawns. The fanfic writers will probably have a field day.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2011-12-06 at 05:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't notice those ponies. That is awesome.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I'm just baffled by this. I'm going to guess that the ship belongs to the space marine type people, other than that I have no idea how this links in with what we have already seen.

Also region free prequel apparently
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #949
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now, I haven't really been paying attention to any of the stuff about the Christmas special, don't want Spoilers and all that jazz, but I watched that and saw the tittle. The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe. I swear, if Rory dies again, I am going to be very upset.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    Now, I haven't really been paying attention to any of the stuff about the Christmas special, don't want Spoilers and all that jazz, but I watched that and saw the tittle. The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe. I swear, if Rory dies again, I am going to be very upset.
    Well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amy & Rory are only have a cameo this year. Source
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amy & Rory are only have a cameo this year. Source
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if it's a cameo of *ominous music* death
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

22. - Top - End - #952
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

And so, we move onto the Tom Baker era which, it has to be said, does contain some of the best stories. The first few seasons feature a cast and production team full of energy and ideas, and the move towards mainly four-part stories cuts out some of the flab that marred a lot of the Pertwee adventures. Watching these you can see why Baker remains the definitive Doctor for many people. By the end of his run, though, he does begin to outstay his welcome a bit! For now though, enjoy...

Season Twelve (1974-1975)
    Fourth Doctor/Sarah-Jane/Harry

The Ark In Space – atmospheric and creepy, with some nice claustrophobic sets and “body-shock” horror. Fairly straightforward in terms of plot, but prefigures some elements of Alien.

Genesis Of The Daleks – carries a grim atmosphere throughout, with the Thals finally a bit more interesting than their future (in the timeline) bland and blonde incarnations. Moral ambiguity abounds, a wonderful turn by Michael Wisher as Davros, and only a little bit of Terry Nation’s favourite crawling through air ducts. Rightfully considered one of the best of the Classic Who era.

Honourable Mentions
    Robot – This is mainly worth watching for being Tom Baker’s first episode, as its always good to see the contrast between the new and the previous Doctor, and strangely wrong to see him driving Bessie. The story and effects aren't up to much with this one, sadly.

The Sontaran Experiment – short and brutal, with a lot packed into just two episodes. A nice touch to give the astronauts South African accents to mimic vowel shift.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There seems to be another game in the works. Nothing really to say about it as all it gives us is a vague hint at the mcguffin.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-12-09 at 09:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #954
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    BBC special effects, still famous through-out the world
    Indeed! S'funny, some of the effects in Classic Who are surprisingly good*, and I flag a few of these up in future recommendations. Other times they're... not so good. One of the most terrible is a kind of pantomime horse monster in one of the Fifth Doctor serials (with Silurians in it). I can't recall the name of the monster or the episode offhand. It didn't help that the thing was shown brightly lit, in full shot, so all its sheer rubbishness was clearly on display.

*As noted by an American comedian whose name I can't remember**, only the English would have a saying like "surprisingly good", owing to our national assumption that things are going to be a disappointment.

**I'm having trouble with names today!

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

*As noted by an American comedian whose name I can't remember**, only the English would have a saying like "surprisingly good", owing to our national assumption that things are going to be a disappointment.

**I'm having trouble with names today!
    Is surprisingly good a particularly British phrase? I use it often and am decidedly American, though I may have picked it up from he abundance of British TV I watch.

On the topic of bad Classic Who special effects, the one that takes the cake for me is Kroll from the Fourth Doctor story ''The Power of Kroll''. It was simply laughable. The fact that the plot was a ham-fisted critique of colonialism didn't particularly help either.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed! S'funny, some of the effects in Classic Who are surprisingly good*, and I flag a few of these up in future recommendations. Other times they're... not so good. One of the most terrible is a kind of pantomime horse monster in one of the Fifth Doctor serials (with Silurians in it). I can't recall the name of the monster or the episode offhand. It didn't help that the thing was shown brightly lit, in full shot, so all its sheer rubbishness was clearly on display.
    Oh god, the Myrka from 'Warriors of the Deep'. Yes that was the worst, worse than extra's wrapping tentacles around themselves in 'The Power of Kroll', worse than the giant inflatable snake in 'Snake dance' and worse even than the toy tank in 'Robot'.
    The special effect so bad it killed Dr Who ( BBC Controller Michael Grade specifically cited the Myrka as an example of why he cancelled Dr Who)

Though I'm ready to be corrected, anybody got idea's for even worse Dr Who special effects ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

27. - Top - End - #957

I'm back snitches!

And I'm picking back up with season four because at this point I've actually totally forgotten what much of the detail of season six is, so plan on casually watching that laters.

So yeah.
    'The Unicorn and the Wasp': up tonight.
    For cereals this time.
    And from there we progress logically forwards to this year's Christinglemas present which, it seems, is going to be Narnia-licious. Methinks.

Oh.
    And also Classic wonders. Once I find out who exactly has them this time around. I swear it's like every other week someone steals my Classic Who.
    And I may also very well be getting more Classic Who for Christinglemas. And as I genuinely don't know what I'm getting at all in any shape or form this'll be fun. Literally no idea what exactly I'm getting. I don't even know if it'll be Classic Who, but I did tell the Mouse I wanted Classic Who so I should be getting Classic Who.

I'm back and kicking for cereals. One or two episodes a week hopefully. And the Christmas special on Christinglemas.

EDIT:
    Seeing as I just saw the CiN Christinglemas Who trailer . . .
    1. I love Bill Bailey.
    2. Was that a Tau/Space Marine cross uniform? Yes. Yes it was.
    3. Doctor Who/Narnia canon crossover.

1 + 2 + 3 = 4.

4. Is Narnia flat out one of my favourite book series of all time? Yes. Yes it is. OhmyLawdyesitis.
    Where's the Obvious Stand-in For Religious Figure of Choice-Lion?

Relatedly:
    Doctor!Nine was in London in what? November 1940 (give or take).
    One year later he's Doctor!Eleven with Blitz evacuees at Christmas with the Pevensies at the Kirke house!!
    Aaaaand I'm pretty sure that at some point I mentioned Doctor!Ten being around at roughly the same point in time and place. It's seriously a miracle the Doctors haven't bumped into each other at the same time and place yet.
    Must happen.
    It'll be the new 'The Two/Three Doctors'.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-12-10 at 12:02 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I'm back snitches!
    Hooray! Been wanting to hear what you thought of The Unicorn and the Wasp.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

29. - Top - End - #959

I'm back snitches!

Seeing as I just saw the CiN Christinglemas Who trailer . . .
    Did you also see the preceding bit of the Doctor auctioning off his clothes and the more recent prequel to the special?

Relatedly:
    Doctor!Nine was in London in what? November 1940 (give or take).
    One year later he's Doctor!Eleven with Blitz evacuees at Christmas with the Pevensies at the Kirke house!!
    Aaaaand I'm pretty sure that at some point I mentioned Doctor!Ten being around at roughly the same point in time and place. It's seriously a miracle the Doctors haven't bumped into each other at the same time and place yet.
    Must happen.
    It'll be the new 'The Two/Three Doctors'.
    Plus Eleven's a close friend of Winston Churchill. And he got Rory to lock Hitler in a cupboard. He does seem to be in that period quite a bit.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #960

Oh yeah./Duffman

Did you also see the preceding bit of the Doctor auctioning off his clothes and the more recent prequel to the special?
    . . .
    I did not see the Dorktor being stripped by fangirls, fanboys and their parents.
    That was nummy.
    Wish I'd known about that auction beforehand, I'd have bid. Wouldn't have won, but I'd have bid.

Plus Eleven's a close friend of Winston Churchill. And he got Rory to lock Hitler in a cupboard. He does seem to be in that period quite a bit.
    That too.
    THAT'S WHAT WAS THE OTHER 1940 Dorktor thimgummy. 1939 amirite?
    Heh. Someone should construct a 'time'line of when the Doctor appears and where.
    'Twould be enlightening.

Also: Nazis are cool-funtiems.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!