New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh... no (real) Curly review yet? I'm surprised. I hope this doesn't mean she didn't get to see the episode yet but only not to post it yet... we'll see. Sounds like her mother is an evil mastermind though.
    Not-terribly serious Curly spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course Curly's mother is an evil mastermind, how did you think The Rani survived the time war?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I heard that was something to do with the deal Russell T. Davies made with Terry Nation's estate in order to use the Daleks at all--he had to promise to feature them at least once per series. No idea if that's true or not, though, and it certainly doesn't seem to apply now since they're getting "rested" this year!
    That's one of those things which has been cited in these threads quite often, but I've never seen a source for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Not-terribly serious Curly spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course Curly's mother is an evil mastermind, how did you think The Rani survived the time war?
    As I think someone mentioned a while back, rule 1 of Doctor Who speculation: Everyone is the Rani.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now, before I post this, I want to make a confession with regards the context of this post; I'm really rather lazy, and I'm also preoccupied at the moment with packing clothes etc. for moving to university (the exact reason isn't really relevant, but I figured I'd include it for completeness' sake). This has two main effects with regards this thread:

Effect the first: I can't really be bothered to watch through all the Who serials still available for viewing.
    Effect the second: I can't really be bothered to scour this thread for a list of the best ones from each Doctor that are worth watching.

I apologise for my abject laziness (and there really is no other excuse, I'm afraid ), but if anyone would be so kind as to provide me a couple of good serials from each Doctor, I really would be most obliged.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    Now, before I post this, I want to make a confession with regards the context of this post; I'm really rather lazy, and I'm also preoccupied at the moment with packing clothes etc. for moving to university (the exact reason isn't really relevant, but I figured I'd include it for completeness' sake). This has two main effects with regards this thread:

Effect the first: I can't really be bothered to watch through all the Who serials still available for viewing.
    Effect the second: I can't really be bothered to scour this thread for a list of the best ones from each Doctor that are worth watching.

I apologise for my abject laziness (and there really is no other excuse, I'm afraid ), but if anyone would be so kind as to provide me a couple of good serials from each Doctor, I really would be most obliged.
    While my experience with Classic Who isn't that great I'll list some of my favorites.

One:
    An Unearthly Child: The very first serial of Doctor Who. Personally I found the latter parts somewhat lacking but it's definitely worth watching if only for the beginning. Also there was a fun little detail I noticed that made me smile.

The Daleks: A very fun story and one that I feel illustrates the differences and similarities between One and the other Doctors quite well. It is also the introduction of the Daleks who were used brilliantly. It also introduced the much less famous Thals.

Second Doctor:
    The Mind Robber-Now this is the only serial of his, unless you count the Three Doctors, I have seen so I can't say it's the best but I enjoyed it. I quite enjoyed Jamie as well, though the other companion didn't really wow me.

Third Doctor:
    The Spearhead from Space: It's Three's first Serial and it is a really good one. It has the Brigadier who seems to be quite famous among Who fans, and for good reason. It is also the first appearance of Autons and other Nestene creatures. Overall I found it to be quite a fun watch. There is also a scene that is quite reminiscent of one in The Eleventh Hour. Well I suppose it would actually be the other way around but I saw the Eleventh Hour first.

The Three Doctors: A Multi-Doctor story starring Three, Two, and One. The interaction between the three of them is brilliant. It also introduces Omega, at least I think it's his introduction. Now the companions didn't really shine in this serial, but well with three Doctors it's kind of hard to compete. The special effects were also less than great, though probably about par for Classic Who.

Four:
    The Ribos Operation: This story marks the beginning of the Key of Time overarching story which lasted the entire season. It is also the introduction of Romana, who interact wonderfully with the Doctor. The Villains of the story are quite frankly forgettable, or at least they would be if their bad acting doesn't stick in your mind. However the story overcomes this weakness with an otherwise great cast and a story that is surprisingly touching at times. It also takes place on an utterly alien, if not visually stunning, world. I would also suggest most of the other stories from the Key of Time: The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood and the Androids of Tara. The Power of Kroll I would only suggest if you want to see the entiirety of the Key of Time. I have yet to watch the final story The Armageddon Factor so I can't say whether or not it's any good.

Five:

The Caves of Androzani: It's the only story of Five's I have seen, which is somewhat ironic as it is his last. It left me with an appreciation of Davison's doctor, and to a lesser extent his companion Peri. I'll admit that I got flashbacks to the Phantom of the Opera at times and was occasionally squicked out. However ultimately I found it to be a wonderful Swan Song for Five.

Seven:
    Remembrance of the Daleks: A wonderful story that not only displays Seven's talents as a master manipulator but also greatly endeared Ace to me. Daleks are of course in it. While I was a little confused by some details that was entirely due to my own preexisting misconception regarding a specific subject. There are also several call backs to older stories, however missing them won't diminish the story in any significant way.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-09-12 at 06:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365

BardGuy

The Girl Who Waited:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, I saw that coming right from the start. As soon as Amy said she'd been there a week, I knew what was going to happen.

I think the "cool" factor of certain parts (Samurai Amy) was rather overridden by cheap sentimentality. Old Amy being quite so bitter caught me by surprise, but quickly grew old.

Not to mention the hideous idiot ball carried by the facility: if you have one of the many wrong biologies you get killed, either my the plague or by the medical staff. How did that get rated 2nd best place to visit? Not to mention that the labeling on the buttons was clearly ridiculous.

Actually - why was that red button even there? And where were the greeters to help you BEFORE you make a horrible mistake.

But back to the sentimentality of the entire thing: it was nice to see Arthur and Karen stretch their muscles a bit, but I felt we learned very little about the relationship between the two. Ok, so Amy goes a bit mad without Rory, and Rory leans on Amy for validation, and is sort of overawed by her being into him... ...what's new?

So there were some good sentimental moments after they left young Amy, but they just kept ladling it out until I got desensitized and was screaming for some comic relief, which was not forthcoming.

Next week looks much more fun.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    The Girl Who Waited:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, I saw that coming right from the start. As soon as Amy said she'd been there a week, I knew what was going to happen.

I think the "cool" factor of certain parts (Samurai Amy) was rather overridden by cheap sentimentality. Old Amy being quite so bitter caught me by surprise, but quickly grew old.

Not to mention the hideous idiot ball carried by the facility: if you have one of the many wrong biologies you get killed, either my the plague or by the medical staff. How did that get rated 2nd best place to visit? Not to mention that the labeling on the buttons was clearly ridiculous.

Actually - why was that red button even there? And where were the greeters to help you BEFORE you make a horrible mistake.

But back to the sentimentality of the entire thing: it was nice to see Arthur and Karen stretch their muscles a bit, but I felt we learned very little about the relationship between the two. Ok, so Amy goes a bit mad without Rory, and Rory leans on Amy for validation, and is sort of overawed by her being into him... ...what's new?

So there were some good sentimental moments after they left young Amy, but they just kept ladling it out until I got desensitized and was screaming for some comic relief, which was not forthcoming.

Next week looks much more fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would guess that the facility wasn't exactly meant for tourists to enter. It would be safe to assume that there were safeguards in place in order to keep people of the wrong biology out. As usual the Doctor gets into a sticky situation he would never have been in without teleporting straight in with no precautions. All of your problems are answered by remembering that the Doctor essentially appeared in the middle of a quarantine zone and didn't pass through whatever greeters or security there was in the facility.

About the button labeling who knows what symbolism an anchor and a stream hold for the natives of whatever that planet was.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, quick question to those who are proficient in the old series...
    Did the master's drumming aspect of his insanity show up at all back then or was it a new addition of the new series? my guess is the latter, but i want to be sure.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Did the master's drumming aspect of his insanity show up at all back then or was it a new addition of the new series? my guess is the latter, but i want to be sure.
    Curly Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I know it's a late addition. Which (kind of, in a timey wimey way) makes sense in universe, the Time Lords didn't send him the drums until just before the Time War ended, so after the old series ended, but once they did so he had always already heard the drumming.

Edited to hide Curly Spoilers, sorry about that.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2011-09-12 at 09:05 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    *snip*
    You have some Curly spoilers there.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    It was purely a new series thing. In fact, I don't think the Master was ever obviously insane before--he wanted to rule, that's always been the case, but he was quite methodical in the way he went about doing it.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

It was purely a new series thing. In fact, I don't think the Master was ever obviously insane before--he wanted to rule, that's always been the case, but he was quite methodical in the way he went about doing it.
    Well...

He was methodical, but he was super-murderous too. As soon as anyone started getting in his way, he would kill them, regardless of whether it was necessary for his plans. He was insane in a classic villain sort of way - a polite psycopath. IIRC, his more manic persona in the new series was meant to reflect Tennant's more manic Doctor.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Well...

He was methodical, but he was super-murderous too. As soon as anyone started getting in his way, he would kill them, regardless of whether it was necessary for his plans. He was insane in a classic villain sort of way - a polite psycopath. IIRC, his more manic persona in the new series was meant to reflect Tennant's more manic Doctor.
    He did however have little ability to distinguish fact from fiction, famously having believed the Clangers to be real alien life during the story "the sea devils"- to which there was a callback involving the teletubbies in the more recent series (this second part shouldn't be a Curly spoiler...)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

He did however have little ability to distinguish fact from fiction, famously having believed the Clangers to be real alien life
    But... the Clangers are real.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    But... the Clangers are real.
    How do you know, have you seen them in real life? and are you in fact the iron chicken?
    Part of YugiohITP

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

He did however have little ability to distinguish fact from fiction, famously having believed the Clangers to be real alien life during the story "the sea devils"- to which there was a callback involving the teletubbies in the more recent series (this second part shouldn't be a Curly spoiler...)
    That's a common misconception. Actually, it's fairly clear from the scene (and particularly in the context of the whole episode) that he's just teasing the prison warden about the Clangers.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    Seeing as it took me almost 2 years to work my way through the back catalogue, your "laziness" is excusable

I've started posting my thoughts and recommendations - go here for the latest post. Just got to the Second Doctor, though, so there's loads more to come!
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    <snip>
    Thanks to both of you!
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

Daemon

Okay, nobody saw my Day of the Moon review. I'm going to repost it.

But first, two points which I forgot to say earlier.

One, I agree with Super Panda that River's reveal was more akin to a fan-fic and that it would be bad if ganger doctor was the one that died. These are excellent points.

Also, found something in the Big Bang that needed technobabble. Amy remembering the Doctor back into existence.

And now to report on Day of the Moon.

Day of the Moon has a cool title. It's paradoxical because one does not asocciate day with moon (although it happens. Often in Summertime). First off there is the gap between astronaut and this. In the library two-parter, removing the action away from the immediate cliff hanger worked. Same with Big Bang. Not here though. Here it was bad. We would have liked to have seen what happened after Amy shot the astronaut, what happened when the Silent swarmed River and Rory and why it took them three months to get back together. In the same vein we would have liked to have seen what Amy and Rory said to River when she told them her identity. We did not. This is poor writing. At least Davies answered his cliffhangers.

Then there is the 3 months. Why is this needed? Why do they have to be on the run again? Why do they have to fake their deaths? Why was the Doctor locked up? And how come he knows so much about the Silent? Will we know any of this information? Big fat No.

Here's another one. Nixon. How did they manage to pull that off without looking suspicious? Fun fact, among the wacky Nazi's plans to win the war was to kidnap Churchill and replace him with a look alike. Who says that this mysterious Nixon coming out of nowhere was a look a like? No one questions it. And Nixon is so calm about it to.

The hints towards the girls identity were painfully obvious and were the ones that spoiled River's identity.

Then there is the Silent kidnapping Amy. Why did they need to kidnap a ganger? I don't know, although we might know when the Silent return.

I'm not dwelling on the Doctor killing the Silent race.

Overall, so many questions which will never be answered.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

Daemon

*taps thread with stick* Are you dead, thread? Or just sleeping? Did my comment destroy you? Or was it the abscence of Thuf and the Kitten that did it? I look forward to your awakening tomorrow. My review, unfortunately, will be delayed until sunday.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    *taps thread with stick* Are you dead, thread? Or just sleeping? Did my comment destroy you? Or was it the abscence of Thuf and the Kitten that did it? I look forward to your awakening tomorrow. My review, unfortunately, will be delayed until sunday.
    Everyone is in hibernation, conserving their energy for tomorrow.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    *taps thread with stick* Are you dead, thread? Or just sleeping? Did my comment destroy you?
    Yes, you destroyed the doctor who thread with your dislike for Day of the Moon! We'll be seeing you in court. We've assigned the brickyard backyard school yard shipyard coutyard VALEyard as prosecutor. (I really should finish watching Trial of a Timelord).
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Yes, you destroyed the doctor who thread with your dislike for Day of the Moon! We'll be seeing you in court. We've assigned the brickyard backyard school yard shipyard coutyard VALEyard as prosecutor. (I really should finish watching Trial of a Timelord).
    I hear the prosecution is leaning on the "Liked Miracle Day" angle this time.

Unfortunately, the Valeyard was all tied up with the Faction Paradox thing ever since five years from now. They're getting someone else. Theta Rems, I think.

Trustworthy looking fellow.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    I hear the prosecution is leaning on the "Liked Miracle Day" angle this time.
    I didn't get that reference. Was it referring to me?
    Last edited by Sunken Valley; 2011-09-17 at 01:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    (I really should finish watching Trial of a Timelord).
    Weeeeell, I wouldn't rush if I were you....

25. - Top - End - #385
    Firbolg in the Playground

Koorly's Archive of Her Doctor Who Write Ups:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series Twelve
    Genesis of the Daleks Part 1/6, Part 2/6

Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Season One - retrospective

Season Two - retrospective

Season Three - blind unless otherwise mentioned
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones' -missing.
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (part 1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (part 2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (part 3/3)

Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

Bits and Bobs About Season Three
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

Season Four blind unless otherwise mentioned
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' Part 1/2
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ Part 2/2
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Posted in two parts.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'

Season 6 part 2
    Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'

The Nu Who Trek continues. And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (I love that theme song so much)*]

'The Girl Who Waited' (season 6b, episode 10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, two hours before 'The God Complex' and I finally get around to watching 'The Girl Who Waited', 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' is still unfinished due to executive meddling and friends and a book. Also, my internet was taken away from me. Also excuses, excuses, excuses.
    I will still be liveblogging this thing, just with BBCiPlayer. Now in fact.

Whu', Abbleappajeer? Appleapplechia? Appalappacheer? You guys so cute. Agree with Amy it's a beautiful word, so we get a "beautiful world" Doctor? YES! ALIEN WORLDS! Get our boogie on. ALIEN LANDSCAPES!
    "Voted number two planet" in the universe. Number one is a "planet of coffee shops". Ugh, coffee's icky.
    No Doctor, that's not soaring colonnades and sunsets. It's a white room. Ah, the Doctor "gives you doors".
    Heh. Amy, wants her phone. For Twitter. Oh camera phones.
    Green anchor button? Red waterfall?
    Amy's going to push the - what? Didn't tell her what button to push.
    And now they're in the same room, but the wrong room.
    And Amy's stuck.
    The Doctor knows something's up.
    God this music guys.
    MAGNIFYING GLASS VIEWSCREEN. DO WANT.
    D: "Robot with hands Rory". It's the robots from I, Robot. Yes I saw that film, don't look like that.
    Oooh! "TIme's gone wobbly" And wibbly?
    "Good question, bit sinister."
    Amy's been there a week? Ah, hello plot! "Same room, two different time streams [...] Amy you're in a faster time stream". No wibbly wobbly then. Just a bullet train compared to British trains.
    Pausing a sec. How is Amy alive? No food or water? It's a white room with some stickers, two chairs, a table and a MAGNIFYING GLASS VIEWSCREEN THAT IS DO WANT. Basically: bottle episode.
    And play. Loving that Rory's freaked out by the freaky Handbot trying to facepalm him.
    INTRO!
    Anyone else remember when Matt Smith got to play this theme with Orbital? Writer is Tom Macrae. OH NO! He wrote for Bonekickers (twitchy hate; you seen what that show did to history?!?!?!?!) and the Cybermen two-parter. Oh dear . . .
    Rory's wigging - whut. The Handbot sees with its hand. Well that is not a nice thing to make me remember. Ever. It even looks a little like it.
    Why didn't Rory tell her which button to push? Why is Rory going in the red room? WHY IS AMY NOT IN THE RED ROOM? Stupid timey wimey.
    Back to green.
    D: "Can't follow her directly in".
    The planet is under a quarantine. "This is a kindness facility for Chen7".
    D: "You get it, and you die in a day."
    Why is the Doct - only affects species with two hearts.
    PLOT! Called it. THe no-food thing is important because technoTreknobabble.
    R: "Watch them grow old in front of your eyes [in a day. THat's horrible." YES IT IS.
    How is it kind Doctor?! Sit in the green room and watch them live, or watch them die.
    You mo - what. Can the - the magnifying glass of do want is moving lots. It's a satnav.
    Vandalism alarm. Divers alarum!
    D: "Don't let them [the Handbots] give you anything. They don't know your alien. Their kindness will kill you." Oh lovely.
    And Amy's going to have to wait for a long time for the Doctor to break through quarantine no?
    Well, not him, two hearts mate.
    A: "Rory. I love you. Now save me. Come on." AMY/RORY OTP 4EVZ.
    Oh look, stuff. Lots of stuff.
    And Rory's brainy specs.
    D: "Hello handsome man." TRUEST. THING. EVER.
    And he's Rorycam.
    Oi. I saw that 08:02. That says [BBC]one! Least we know where they got the set from. You know, the Kindness Place isn't so bad . . . white and boring; very freaky music throughout (thanks Gold)
    RAY OF LIGHT!
    It's an interface. Now called GLADoS. Oh dear. Yankee accent. They're not friendly sounding. And air hostess uniform?
    Entertainment cells? What? Holodecks?!
    Also, did GLADoS say she would be Amy's friend? Don't accept anything memeable from her. This includes: lemons, cake, opera singing turretbots, potatoes and portals. You can't cook with any of them.
    - WARP SPEED DEATH RIDE!? "Provided for you with kindness."
    So wiggy. It's all grey and stuff.
    BAD HANDBOT.
    "Unregistered bacteria?" Needles. Amy I under
    - holy jesus the hell it's a needle torpedo that goes through walls
    RUN AMY!
    And hi dark and unused staircases.
    Aaaah, that hand looking around corners. Flashbacks. Many flashbacks. Looking all around.
    You run Amy. Stop transporting down Handbots with their "This is a kindness. Do not be alarmed." thing. Amy in a cage and can't climb up.
    Why does this mean you can't detect her?
    So much time going fowards.
    STAR TREK CAMERA EFFECTS.
    Venus de Milo?
    Mona Lisa?
    R: "Bit of Earth. Bit of alien. Bit of . . . whatever the Hell that is." RORY NEVER CHANGE.
    What. GLADoS comes when you call? Oh God it is a holodeck/entertainment deck. Birdsong, so garden.
    This is that clip fro the season 6b previews isn't it? Oh that is beautiful.
    Sounds it too.
    Amy has gorgeous eyes.
    A: "You really could spend a lifetime here. Not that I'm going to." PLEASE DON'T BE FORESHADOWING.
    Aaawwww, Amy's getting help from GLADoS about the Handbots. Okay. Airvents are timevents. Too much time confuses Handbots.
    Amy just killed two Handbots by making them touch hands.
    Eeee~ Lipstick messages. Someone's seen Labyrinth.
    I adore that giant magnifying glass.
    Whoa. It's the ghosting effect from the Cybermen two-parter.
    R: "Are they happy?"
    D: "Oh Rory, trust you o think of that."
    Darth Vader Amy. "I waited for you. I waited for you. I waited for ages."
    Old!Amy.
    Aaaawwwwww.
    Still very beautiful though. Amy, I'll grow old with you (and Rory) any day.
    Where did you get your katana from? The entertainment centre?
    Wha'? Sonic probe? Amy made the Handbots think she doesn't exist.
    A: "You didn't save me."
    Punch in the gut.
    Did you see Rory's face? You could see that hit him.
    Thirty-six years? Rory still thinks Amy looks great.
    Why is Amy so - A: "I hate him. I hate the Doctor. I've hated him more than anyone I've hated in my entire life. [...] You told me to wait, and I waited a lifetime. You've got nothing to say to me." That from the Girl Who Waited . . . That's all you need to know to see how she's changed.
    Amy's all different. She moves and acts different. Cold and indifferent. She's not looking at Rory.
    R: "This is so wrong." Rory don't say that, that's Amy!
    A: "I got old Rory. What did you think was going to happen."
    R: "I don't care that you got old. I care that we didn't grow old together. Amy come on please."
    R: "Don't touch me. Don't do that."
    A"[...]I walked in here, and I died."
    Amy lives in the Time Engines. With a friendly robot. Who sat when she said "Sit down Rory."
    R: "You named him after me."
    A:"Needed a bit of company."
    R: "So he's your - "
    A: "A pet."
    Amy put your lipstick on, please. You were going to for Rory, I know you were, you still love him, please put it on. Please. Don't keep hiding behind your armour.
    Another definition of the Doctor: "A blue box man flying through time and space on whimsy."
    Amy, you're so bitter, you deserve to be. But Amy . . .
    Amy isn't meant to hate the Doctor, and she's meant to adore Rory.
    A: "All I've got, all I've had for thirty-six years is cold, hard reality." Amy . . .
    The sonic screwdriver is a probe. Insistent terminology.
    GLADoS doesn't work in the Time Engine.
    A: "Stay or go?"
    R: "Me? I'm staying with you."
    The Doctor keeps interrupting good moments with technoTreknobabble. And she still won't look at him.
    Awwww, that music.
    "I think that's the first time I've laughed in over thirty-six years." And that music, and Rory's face.
    R: "I'll, just leave you two geniuses a minute" He's going to cry.
    R: "How can you have a door without a wall?" Modern art.
    RORY JUST GOT HANDBOTTED!
    Ahhhh. Needle torpedo head.
    Amy still cares for Rory, she's been crying.
    R: Glasses."
    A; "STupid"
    R: "You saved me.
    A: "Don't get used to it
    R: "You've been crying [...] haven't you?"
    A: "Woman with a sword."
    Amy doesn't want to be saved. Gold that music. I want this track. Amy just ran away from the Doctor.
    And she left the sign and it smeared away and tears because that
    music
    . Anyone else get sad?
    Amy won't help herself because herself is Past!Amy meaning Older!Amy will cease to exist. She has a point.
    R: "That's, that's good isn't it?"
    A: "I will die. Another Amy will take my place. An Amy who was never trapped at Two Streams. I will die and another Amy will take my place." She's hurting so much. Karen you can act.
    R: "But you'll die in here!"
    A: "Not if you take me with you. You came to rescue me, so rescue me." Her face.
    R: "Leave her and take you?!"
    D: "We could take this Amy with us, easy, but if we do we have to come back in thirty-six years and rescue Amy."
    R: "So I have to choose. Which wife do I want?" But Rory. All the sad in this episode. Rory waited two thousand years for a slim chance at an Amy, and now he has to choose an Amy. Rory . . .
    A: "She is me." But she's not. She's not . . . cold. She hasn't been alone for thirty-six years. She can become you. 2We're both me."
    Rory promised to look after her.
    R: "This is your fault [Doctor]. This is your fault. You should look in a history book once in a while, see if there's a plague."
    D: "That's not how I travel."
    R: "THEN I DO NOT WANT TO TRAVEL WITH YOU." I gasped. I really did. Rory . . .

And Amy's crying. But I don't know which. Young Amy.
    No. Rory can see and hear his young wife, and Amy can feel him, but they can't see. So he goes to Older!Amy who repeats again, "I will not help her."
    This music guys. Minor key piano.
    R: "Look me in the face [shows young Amy] and say it now." He can sonic things! Rory's ahead, and Amy can see Amy.
    The music is full of wonder.
    A: "Why are we still here?"
    A: "Because they leave you. They get in their TARDIS and fly away."
    Old!Amy tells young Amy that she's the one who made them go away, leaving Young!Amy to grow old there and timey wimey stuff.
    Y!A: 2Three words: What about Rory?"
    O!A: "I called my robot Rory."
    The Y!A and O!A reminisce about Rory. This is bittersad and sweet. O!A "All those boys chasing me, but it was only ever Rory. Why was that?"
    Y!A: "You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful and then you actually talk to them, and five minutes later they’re as dull as a brick? Then there’s other people, you meet them and think: “Not bad, they’re OK”. Then you get to know them… and their face just sort of becomes them. Like their personality’s written all over it. And they just turn into something so beautiful. Rory is the most beautiful man I have ever met." (last bit said by both)
    Awwwwww. All my tears welling up. All my tears, and that music.
    Y!A: "Please. Do it for him."
    O!A: "You're asking me to defy destiny itself [...] for a boy."
    Y!A: You're Amy. He's Rory. Oh yes I am."
    AND TRIUMPH! That music.
    O!A: I'm gonna pull time apart for you.
    And they kiss and wow. It's so. And
    Awww, Rorybot looks away and hugs and crying and the music and sadness.
    Amy's breaking all the laws if time itself and "defeat[ing] pre-destiny" because she's Amy And that's all you need to know about Amy/Rory. They will do anything for each other. Anything. Plus Eleven's them so Awesome is happening.
    O!A: "It's not about what I'm doing, it's who I'm doing it for." It's for Y!A, all sad and lost and this is making sure she's not put through Hel. "I'm trusting you to watch my back Rory."
    R: "Always. You and me. Always." And he has to take them both in the TARDIS.
    And the Doctor's shaking his head.
    R: "Two Amy's together, can that work?"
    D: "I don't know, it's your marriage." And then he says some stuff meaning yes. But the music was wrong. And the headshake. And he ddin't like Captain Jack Harkness. And that means the TARDIS is a paradox machine. Please let me be ovethinking this.
    YES! Amy called the probe a screwdriver. O!A is coming back to happiness!
    The Amy's have to share a thought. "Something so powerful it can rip through time."
    And then there's a ten minute time limit.
    D: "Come on Rory, this is hardly rocket science. This is quantum phsyics!"
    The Amy''s are going to do the macarena to break time. Their first kiss! I knew it was Rory. It's always Rory.
    And now the Amy's are together. And Rory hugs Y!A, and is embarrassed because of O!A. Awkward moment time.
    Amy/Amy bicker time. Also Rory's glasses made the TARDIS blow up because she hates time paradoxes and is trying to run away. Foreshadowing . . .no please.
    Eight minutes.
    R: "I'm not on my own. I've got my wives." Hee~
    Amy, Amr and Rory get to beat up Handbots to the Doctor's theme. Epic.
    Rory's stuck between in wives. O!A wants to go travelling, so they get to be apart and together. Entertainment centre time.
    What.
    There was a weird moment.
    O!A gets a minute and his "cutest smile". O!A is flirting with Rory in front of Y!A. IT's cute and they cosplayed together. D'aawww.
    Epic figfht scene time in slow motion.
    O!A is badass. Oh yeah..
    I should comment, but this is amazing.
    And the toung two get to kick ass together.
    O!A has their back!
    Y!A just got Handed! Rory go Last Centurion on them! GO! DON -
    HE JUST TOOK OUT A HANDBOT WITH THE MONA LISA!
    DUDE!
    And now there's running in slo-mo.
    To the TARDIS.
    O!A why you look so sad? Rory just kicked open the TARDIS doors O!A come on.
    COME ON!
    Run!
    You -
    DOCTOR WAT!
    "I lied to her Rory"
    Doctor. What/ She's real. There can be more than one Amy.
    D: "Which one do you want? It's your choice."
    R: "This isn't fair. You're turning me into you."
    Doctor. what.
    What.
    Amy. But. O!A through the window. And the Wrath of Khan moment.
    O!A: "The look on your face when you carried her. You used to look at me that way. I'd forgotten how much I loved you. How much I loved being her. Amy Pond in the TARDIS with Rory Williams."
    R: "I'm sorry I can't do this." I can't do this either ROry. Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't.
    O!A: If you love me, don't let me in. I will, I'll come in, I don't want to die. I won't bow out bravely, I'll be screaming and fighting until the end.
    R: "Amy, Amy I lvoe you."
    A: I love you too. Give her the days... Tell Amy... Your Amy... I'm giving her the days. The days with you. Days to come... Days I can't have. Take them, please... I'm giving you my days."
    And Rory's crying and whispering he's so sorry over and over and over. And tears.
    Amy. Amy, no. Amy. Amy.
    Fight them.
    A: "Interface [...] show me Earth. Show me home." And the music swells. "Did |I ever tell you about this boy I met there. He pretended to be in a band"
    AMY YOU'RE MEANT TO FIGHT! AMYT!
    AmY!
    No. Amy. Domn't.
    Doctor you left Amy to die all alone.
    You bastard.
    R: "Did you always know that would never work. Saving both Amys."
    D: "I promised you I'd save her, and there she is."
    R: "Yeah. There she is."
    Amy wakes up, and the Doctor is happy and has some tact about leavbing them alone.
    A: "Where is she?"

Preview thoughts: CLOWNS AND WEEPING ANGELS AND GODDAMED PUPPETS AGAIN! And minotaur. And ironic nursery rhymes again. And a mole? Whut.

Best Moment: Oh. Amy talks to herself through the magnifying glass. The fight. The emotional scenes. All the scenes where the tragedy of the situation comes through.

Worst Moment: The Doctor left Amy to die . . .okay. That's an emotional worst. Um. The scenes in the green room weren't as strong as the rest of them.

Best Special Effect: I love that giant magnifying glass. But the Handbots. And the garden scene.

Worst Special Effect: The TARDISplsion

Best Actor: Karen Gillan. End of. She can act.

Worst Actor: There were five characters, two were voices. Ergo, the worst doesn't exist today. At all.

Most Punchable Character: THE DOCTOR.

Death Count:
    One. Amy . . .

Kink of the Episode:
    Amy/Rory/Older!Amy. Needs to happen. Oh Amy, you grow old so gracefully.

Thoughts overall?
    Oh my tears. This episode. If it does not have ramifications today I will kick up a fuss.
    The acting was absolutely stellar. The sets were cheap and sterile which is good for the setting, and I think they're saving up for the finale. It also means the characters are thefocus, no distractions whatsoever. And therefore this character study - the Companion story is just brilliant.
    It's gripping, it's well-written and heartbreaking and it's in-character and I'm not going to stop gushing about this ever.
    I know that Rory waited two thousand years, and Amy only thirty-six, and yeah. But here's the thing: Rory had hope. He had a purpose, he was mostly indestructible and there was always a chance for Amy. The Doctor said so. And he keeps his promises.
    Unless he lies.
    And Amy. Amy thought - no, she knew she was abandoned, because Older!Amy said so. And for thirty-six years she was alone, in Hell, knowing no one would ever come for her.
    And the Doctor broke his promise to save her. Twice.
    These two situations are incomparable. They both waited, but you can't compare them. It's not quite chalk and cheese, but it's not brie and cheddar either.
    Tom Macrae, you brilliant, brilliant man.
    Your strength isn't action. It's characters and their emotions. Learn from this.
    You broke my heart, and Rory and Amy did it so well. Love.

Ah! One short break until the next episode. That's all for now.

Frassin' internet being taken away from me.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-09-17 at 01:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

I do believe that was my favourite episode so far in this season.

Spoiler
    Show
    I worked out the Minotaur thing fairly early, as well as the "faith not fear" thing. David Walliams was brilliant and I love the idea of a race of beings that's so used to being invaded that it's become a part of their culture.

The ending was poignant, but very intriguing. And only one question remains:

Who did the Doctor see?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that was an...interesting episode. Not, I don't think, one of the better ones this season (though it wasn't the worst).

Have we really seen the last of Amy and Rory (I'm guessing no, but after the inevitable appearance in the finale...?)

I think we're hitting the "fall lower" part now...

Pity it seems to be a bit of a retread of Ten's final days (i.e. ditching the companions to wander alone). How long that'll last, is a good question, though.

The planet of the easily invaded people was a really funny concept...

Also, yay Cybermen! Now, are we guessing alternate universe or Proper Cybermen?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-09-17 at 02:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

I... don't get it.

Spoiler
    Show

I understand the faith not fear thing, but that all came out too quick at the end and in too much exospeak.

Did the Doctor kill the Muslim woman? I liked her, I like her reasoning throughout the episode, but I think now the Doctor kind of straight up murdered her by not figuring it out sooner.

Is Rory Williams the Ubermensch? No fear, no faith, only the strength of his own ideals and values.

And really, REALLY, is that it for Amy and Rory? Is that their whole goodbye? Attached to the end of a so-so episode and surprisingly brief?

It started out strong, but then it kind of all petered out to me. A lot of potential kind of squandered.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's mainly an excuse to have an episode with just the doctor and without his companions.

On the episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the episode was great, I also wonder who the doctor saw in the room. And because he had aroom there I wonder what it is he has faith in. I don't think he has faith in himself so it could either be River or Amy and Rory. I can't think of anyone else. Oh well maybe the TARDIS could be the thing he has his faith in.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    I... don't get it.

Spoiler
    Show

I understand the faith not fear thing, but that all came out too quick at the end and in too much exospeak.

Did the Doctor kill the Muslim woman? I liked her, I like her reasoning throughout the episode, but I think now the Doctor kind of straight up murdered her by not figuring it out sooner.

Is Rory Williams the Ubermensch? No fear, no faith, only the strength of his own ideals and values.

And really, REALLY, is that it for Amy and Rory? Is that their whole goodbye? Attached to the end of a so-so episode and surprisingly brief?

It started out strong, but then it kind of all petered out to me. A lot of potential kind of squandered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think my biggest strike against it was that it wasn't even very funny. The better writers combined funny and serious much better than this (in fact, this half of the season, really only Let's Kill had me actually laughing).

But, yeah, I personally found it kinda "meh". And I never did like the "everyone dies one by one" schick at the very best of times.

I'll bet souls to sabres we see Amy and Rory in the finale, but after that? I don't know. (I really hope so, because they are the best companions yet, in my opinion.)