New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Koorly's Archive of Her Doctor Who Write Ups:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 12
    Genesis of the Daleks Part 1/6, Part 2/6

Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Season 1 - retrospective

Season 2 - retrospective

Season 3 - blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones' -missing.
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (part 1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (part 2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (part 1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (part 2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (part 3/3)

Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

Bits and Bobs About Season 3
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

Season Four blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' Part 1/2
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ Part 2/2
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Posted in two parts.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'

Season 5 - blind bar Moffat's Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 11: 'The Lodger'

Season 6 part 2
    Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'
    Ep. 11: 'The God Complex'
    Ep. 12: 'Closing Time'

The Nu Who Trek continues. And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (I love that theme song so much)*]

'Closing Time' (Season 6b, episode 12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before I hit play, I'm off uni tomorrow so I won't get internet until maybe Sunday evening, but more likely Monday. On the one hand, won't be able to watch live; on the other at least I won't be spoilered.

Let's kick it.
    Nice railings and all of a sudden I'm getting a late-Victorian London feeling, like we're walking down Whitechapel. Must be the fog and the flickering streetlamp. Which, for the record, do not buzz like that. I'm guessing Smithy accepted that promotion thing then?
    Smarmy Chav tiller. Waaaaay too much foundation too. And typical, lights going off in suspicious fashion.
    Looks like Black Guy Dies First is in full effect.
    YAY! Smithy. And an anxious wife? Partner? Very. More flickery lights, more suspicious things.
    And dudes, seriously. That just doesn't happen in a shop ever never.
    Smithy's being henpecked by the world and his wife. Also, his mother. S: "No one's coming to help me." Knock knock~. Bet it's the Dorktor.
    D: "Hello Craig. I'm back."
    S: "She didn't. How could she phone you?
    D: "[...]You redecorated. I don't like it."
    S: "It's a different house!"
    [...]
    D: "Social call, thought I'd try one out. How are you?"
    S: "I'm fine."
    D: "This is where I say 'I'm fine' too isn't it? I'm fine too. Good. Love to Sophie. Bye. [lights flicker] Something's wrong."
    The Dorktor is such a dork. He's so dorky, and they bicker like an old married couple.
    Screw the shop plot with the obvious Villain VIllainly lurking in the changing rooms. I want slice of life comedy in -
    Cyberman.
    ORIGINAL CYBERMAN! BECAUSE HE'S OLD.
    Also baby.
    Intro! It's my lovely Gareth Roberts, now officially my second favourite writer of all of Nu Who right behind my Lord of Moffat.
    Smithy has dad issues. The Dorktor just got a baby to be quiet by shushing him. S: "I'm rubbish at this [...] being a dad. [...] I have no instinct."
    The baby's called Alfie. D: "He prefers to be called Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All." My face: :D That is the best baby name of all time, and you can tell from the way the Dorktor says it that he's a bit surprised at the baby's preferred name. Also: the baby is called Stormageddon now.
    You know, should I ever pop a Hellspawn out, or adopt one, said child will be called Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. I would then raise said child to go into politics, join the Lib Dems and become PM.
    Why?
    The child's nickname will be Tory. Tory the Lib Dem PM. And seeing as PMs tend to get knighted or similar: Lady/Sir Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. There is no way this plan can fail.
    And yes, I will go to such lengths of planning an entire hypothetical child's life just for the best name on a gravestone ever.
    But if it's a girl, sorry, but I've promised the first one will be Jennifer Robin.
    Hey dudes, I'm still rhapsodising, but the Dorktor's wearing a red bow tie now. Also, bad thought: trashy chav in the shop - ROSE. Also: hijinks in a shop in London at night: can we say 'Rose'? Yes, yes we can.
    The difference is is that Eleven is my Doctor. And Smithy is amazing. And we have a baby and enough married couple chemistry to make a shameless fangirl putting off her packing until the last minute very happy. In bed. I jest.
    Um. Plot. I really don't want this episode to have one. I want Azumanga Diaoh, but with the Dorktor, Smithy and Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.
    D: "That's what he calls himself. [...] I speak baby." Yes, yes he does. OH MY GOD! Stormageddon, Dark Lord of ALl calls everyone who isn't Sophie, Smithy or the Dorktor peasant. This baby is joy incarnate. Literally.
    Also, the Dorktor is nerding out over astronomy, but then he "got his noticing face on" and is trying very hard not to notice that he's noticing things and he's running away from his death yes, yes, yes, we all saw 'The God Complex' and the Amazing Accidental Translation Wherein The DOrktor Reveals His Tragic Self-Hating Self, but who cares.
    I WANT LIGHT AND FLUFFY ROM-COM WITH TWO GUYS, A BABY AND A TARDIS ROMPING THROUGH TIME AND SPACE SUBDUING ALL UNDERFOOT IN THE NAME OF STORMAGEDDON, DARK LORD OF ALL SO THAT ALL MAY KNOW HIS POWER! Is that really too much to ask?
    Heh, Smithy got shushed even though the Dorktor says it only works on those with "underdeveloped brains".
    Yeah, yeah, plot - "I am through saving them." WHAT.
    Oh my God. The Dorktor is working in a shop, playing with a toy helicopter. This is the greatest thing in all of life and Heaven and everything.
    This episode.
    Oh Lord. D: "They gave me a badge with my name on in case I forget my name, very thoughtful as that does happen."
    This is the best thing. Even if it is sad because he might literally not know his name any more. He could be having the Time Lord/Gallifreyan equivalent of Alzeimers or senility.
    But again, I don't care because the Dorktor is the Best Babysitter Ever. Providing there's not a monster around, but even then you're probably guaranteed a child back safe and sound.
    And the music is beautifully whimsicial while he plays with the helichopper. AND K9 REFERENCE!
    D: "You. Look awful."
    Oh Lord. The Dorktor as Yappy just gave the hammiest farewells to Smithy and Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All ever.
    Also; very quick moving white thing. It's Cyber.
    Oh Lord.
    The Dorktor's pushing the pram and hey look, the lift's broken. "Not any more!"
    D: "Lifts aren't dangerous." Tell that to AMy and Rory!
    I bet the lift is the teleport. Smithy just referenced Star Trek. This is glorious. The lift was the teleport.
    Smithy hasn't noticed yet.
    D: "I love you. [...]Yes Craig, it's you, it's always been you."
    S: "[...]Are you going to kiss me?"
    D: "Yes Craig, yes I am, would you like that [YES!] Bit out of practice but I've had some wonderful feedback."
    S: "D - I can't, I'm takenOHMYGOD!" Cybermen.
    One: that was so put in there for two reasons - teasing fangirls and boys in the preview moments and teasing the people who noticed the incredible chemistry these two boys have.
    I would pay to see a show just about these two.
    And now the Dorktor's completely missing the point about what was happening, "I don't really love you except just as a friend".
    Smithy's very surprised about being in space. And the Dorktor wants Smithy and Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All to go somewhere safe. Although if there's a Cybermen invasion where's safe? Don't you remember what happened in 'Army of Ghosts'/'Doomsday'?
    Anyway, Smithy wants to stay where the Dorktor is "because you always win. You always survive! [...] I can help you. I'm staying here."
    And, yes, the Dorktor does say "those were [my emphasis] the days", but then he's so incredibly (turned on) touched (turned on) by Smithy's passionate speech that he decides, maybe those days aren't over just yet.
    The Dorktor will always have faith in his companions. Even Rose, and she as a hateful human being.
    It's true what the Dorktor says though, people will talk to others with babies. 'Tis the cuteness factor at work.
    D: "It's why I usually take a human with you."
    S: "So I'm your baby."
    D: "You're my baby!" And he says it so happily, spreading his arms a little. He is such a dork in the cutest way possible. I want one. And then he hugs SMithy, and we cut to . . . Val(?) who smiles happily.
    V: "Hope you don't mind my saying Doctor. But I think you look ever so sweet, you and your partner and the baby."
    D: "Partner, yes I like it. Is it better than Companion?"
    V: "Companion. Sounds old fhasioned. There's no need to be coy these days." Then gossip happens. "And then there's that silver rat thing." OMINOUS STING!
    D: "What?"
    Cut to said silver rat thing in the knickers and bra section.
    Mkay. Let's stop and talk about Agendas shall we?
    An Agenda is a set of goals of an ideological group, amongst other things. As an example Classic Who started out with an Educational Agenda: to interest children in science and history.
    More modernly, shows/fiction can have Racial Equality Agendas, Gender Equality and so on. One of the more obvious Agendas at the moment is the LGBTQ Agenda, or simply, the Gay Agenda. Think Glee. Nu Who and, as I'm told, Torchwood under RTD have a fairly strong LGBTQ Agenda, and I can see that. Captain Jack Harkness, the old lesbian couple from 'Gridlock', the couple from 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' and so on and so forth. And that's not including themes, symbolism or anything like.
    But Agendas have their good points, and their bad points. Anvils and Subtlety really. Glee has a few too many Anvils for my personal tastes, but well, America. This is not to say that the UK doesn't have Anvils of LGBTQ Agenda either. That Anvil is called RTD, and while he can do Subtle (old lesbian couple), he tends to rub it in people's faces more often than not.
    See: Torchwood.
    What we just had though, right there, was LGBTQ Agenda done right and Subtly. Val was genuinely happy to see a same-sex couple with a baby. That's all you need to voice your opinions, something simple, sweet and done gently. It's a touching moment, and it doesn't matter that it was done because of a misunderstanding; Val said what she did because she's happy that same-sex couple can do the sort of thing 'normal' couples do, and she's not afraid to say it.
    This is how you do an Agenda. No focus, just let it exist.
    Note how the Dorktor completely missed the point (again (he's such a cute dork)) and instead used the conversation to further the plot along. That's how you do it.
    Great Smithy's being stalked by a Cyber-rat while acting a little . . . skeevy in a sexy-knicker-and-bra section. The Not-Rose reacts appropriately. Thinking he's being harassed.
    Val! My best lovely lady.
    Also, the Dorktor showed up to calm things down. In the sexy-knicker-and-bra section. And the Dorktor almost flirts with George. And shows off his braces.
    Now he's in the changing rooms, and Smithy is jealous of the Dorktor's Charisma.
    Argh. Packing up for a whole term at uni in less than forty-five minutes is painful on the finger-that-always-gets-caught-in-things.
    Oh Lordy, the Dorktor just walked in on a lady trying on some sexy-kicker-and-bra combo and told her she'd look better in red. Only him. And David Bowie.
    Smithy, you're so in denial, even Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All can see how much chemistry you two have. D: "We're partners," The Dorktor remarks after reassuring Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All that Smithy really does love him. Yes Dorktor. You and Smithy really are . . . partners.
    D: "Stormy thinks you should believe in yourself Craig." [Stormy: what the Oncoming Storm was called when he was little.] Also, it's sweet because Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All really loves his daddy. Even though in the Dorktor-Smithy-Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All relationship Smithy is simply the mummy.
    Hee~!
    S: "Cyberman. I thought it was a Cyberrat."
    D: "It's not a Cyberrat, it's a Cybermat." Hee~! That is just such an absurd piece of dialogue, and Smith really pulls it off. Just the look on his face, like it was so obvious what the Cybermat was. There's also an additional touch of glee for me because Mum started watching Doctor Who when she was about five years old, so Patrick Troughton was her first Doctor (Fun note: you Google "Patrick Troughton" and the second result is Second Doctor. The second result for all the actors who played the Classic Doctor is always [Number] Doctor), and his big enemy (so she tells me) were the original Cybermen from Mondas, and they really did have Cybermats.
    These are Classic Cybermen from Mondas. Not AU!Cybermen.
    Gleegasm.
    See, this is how much of a cultural thing Doctor Who is. I know all these little bits and pieces even though this is, technically my first Classic Cyberman story.
    Infodump on Cybermats. They eat energy.
    Oh dear, a lover's spat. D: "There's a changing station over by electrical goods." It's so cute. And Val sees it.
    And AMY AND RORY! Amy's famous now?
    Must have been a long time since he left them. Oh My Lord. Petrichor: for the girl who's tired of waiting.
    Glorious.
    It's an actor's allusion, references episode ten, references Amy's shtick in general and best of all: 'The Doctor's Wife'. Anything that makes me think of that episode and Neil Gaiman is luvverly. It makes the Dorktor sad.
    Oh no, not Ge - this is like so many tweenage book and film plots. Hiding out in a big fancy shop after closing time (by the way: double meaning in the title. Dorktor's dying next episode and this is after hours) looking for things.
    And Oh Lordy Me. The Dorktor bought a papoose for Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All because Smithy's too slow in obeying his Lord and Master. And bickering about sonics being too loud.
    Point of Science!: Sonar doesn't make noise like that. Or that scan to show how big the baby is in the mummy's tummy.
    This sonic is only loud and buzzy because it looks and sounds cooler than something quieter.
    George is going to be assimilated soon. You can tell because it's all dark and there's
    the cybermat is cute.
    I want one. It's like a silverfish.
    TEETH!
    More teeth than the Osmond family.
    Yep. George is going to
    S: "Metal rat. Real mouth." Bit creepy yes.
    Hey.
    What kind of parent takes a one-year-old baby on a mission to hunt down Cybermen? Yes, it's safest by the Dorktor's side, but it's also most dangerous. I mean, the Dorktor just got knocked out by a Cyberman for Heaven's sake!
    By the by, george looked like Howard from the Halifax adverts.
    So we get the usual waking-up-from-unconsciousness effects complete with echo audio.
    The Dorktor has a concussion. Why isn't the Dorktor compatible with Cybermen?
    The Dorktor just geeked out over Smithy having a base.
    And now the DORKTOR IS BABYSITTING AND HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH A CRYING BABY THIS IS GOING TO BE SO CUTE!
    JUST LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!
    I love that the Dorktor doesn't talk down to Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. And the way he just told Sotrmageddon, Dark Lord of All that later on in life he will face a "persistent nagging spiritual emptiness" and to "save the tears for later".
    This is glorious.
    The Dorktor's just about to reminisce over his age-but-not-age (a la 'The Big Bang' with Young!Amelia), and while I'm sure this is giong to be character development and full and deep and all the things I love: get back to the light and fluffy rom-com threeTwo Men and A Baby antics now.
    No plot.
    Just fluff!
    D: "I was crabby. Oh, I was old. But I'm so old Stormy. I am so old. So very old." Cut to reactivating Cybermat. The Dorktor just called the baby Alfie.
    "You are so young. And you know, right now everything's ahead of you. You could be anything. Yes. I know. You could walk among the stars." AND THEN HE SONIC A GALAXY OUT OF THE NIGHT LIGHT! "When I was little like you I dreamt of the stars. I think it's fair to say in the language of your age that I lived my dream. I owned the stage. Gave it a hundred and ten percent. Hope you have as much fun as I did Alfie." Then he kissed the baby.
    First off: AAAaaawwwww.
    Second off: the music! Murray Gold, I will have sex with you one day.
    Third off: AAAAAaaaawwwww.
    Fourth off: why to tug at my weak, feeble, womanly, manly emotional heartstrings.
    Fifth off: AAAAAAAAAaaaawwwwwww.
    Sixth off: where's my cute and fluffy whimsy?
    Seventh off: this was a fantastic piece of character development and while an old trope, putting an old character or someone who knows their death is soon with a baby or young child works for a reason if it's done well. And it is.
    Matt Smith is only seven or so years older than me, and I know I've said this before (or tried to articulate it) but he does old man worn by his experiences in a younger man's body so very well. Sometimes, like now, or any number of other moments that age, that tiredness just shines through on that face, in the eyes, the way his brow suddenly looks heavier as if dragged down by the sheer weight of years, his mouth; he is an old, old, tired man.
    It's these moments just as much (or more) than anything else that makes me feel that the Doctor is a man well over a thousand years old who's seen and done more than nearly any other person to ever exist.
    Matt Smith is the Doctor. He was my Doctor within minutes of me seeing him in the season five Angel two-parter (aka: the first episodes I ever saw him in). And even though I've seen two and a half seasons of Tennant's Doctor there are moments, scenes, episodes where Tennant is the Doctor, but even so he just doesn't feel like the Doctor.
    If that makes sense.
    He's a fantastic Doctor, but well. I've seen four Doctors, and Tennant's the least Doctorish Doctor I've seen.
    But plot.
    Cybermat's off a-wiggling. D: "It's not his [Smithy's] fault he doesn't have mammary glands. No, neither do I." But there's a Cybermat in the baby's room so it's time to runaway because the plot insists on interfering with adorableness.
    The Dorktor just locked himself and Stormageddon Dark Lord of ALl out of the house while locking the sonic inside. And I thought Matt was the clumsy one.
    OH MY GOD THE DORKTOR'S USING A NORMAL PHONE!
    Because Smithy's in the -
    Cybermats cannot do that. They cannot physically leap up like that. No. Plus it looked a bit silly. So SMithy's got a Cybermat at his throat, the Dorktor has a moment of situational irony where he realises SMithy's in the house the second he finishes telling Smithy not to go in the house, and then the Dorktor kised Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All while he puts him in a bouncy baby swing thingy outside in the dark to go save Smithy.
    While Eleven's theme plays.
    And the Dorktor jumped through a glass window.
    And hit the Cybermat with a metal tray.
    And the sonic has apps for [complicated technoTreknobabble]. And the Dorktor just complimented Smithy on his muscles.
    Wait for him to ask about the baby.
    There we go.
    Yay! A jeweller's eyeglass thingy.
    More musing about why Cybermats are eating electricity.
    Why is the Cybermat after the Dorktor?
    D: "Do you still feel safe with me Craig."
    S: "Can't help who your mates are."
    D: "I am a stupid selfish man. Always have been. I Should have made you go. I should have never come here. [...] I put people in danger."
    S: "Stop beating yourself up. If it weren't for you this whole planet would be in absolute ruin." Smithy has a point. Poor Dorktor, you need to have faith in yourself. This is a poignantly sad moment because the Dorktor, especially this version of him has an absolutely massive ego, so to see him so broken like this in these quiet moments shows just how much he is afraid to die, how much he doesn't want to go.
    And yet he's still running around saving mankind and his friends, and feeling absolutely terrible when they express their confidence in him.
    It's a Hug the Dorktor moment.
    D: "My time is running out. [...] Silence will fall when the question is asked. [...] Thing is Craig, it's tomorrow. I can't put it off any more,. Tomorrow is the - " and while it was obvious Smithy was asleep, it was still sweet.
    Oh Lawd. The Cybermat is called Bitey now.
    TARDIS BLUE STATIONARY PAPER! And Val! Also, the Dorktor started talking to Val like she knew what was going on. Dork.
    S: "He needs someone. He always needs someone. he just can't admit it." And yet another fantastic way to sum up the Doctor.
    It's so weird seeing the Dorktor talking to himself. Seriously so.
    Also, there's fifteen minutes left of the show, but I don't think you can stretch out the climax and epilogue that long.
    There's a door behind the mirror. It's a dark creepy cobwebby tunnel. Cybermen live in the centre of the earth now. Must be full down there.
    CYBERSHIP!
    And the music! It's a very broken Cybership and some of the sounds it makes are like that of a blocked loo. Also: Borgilicious.
    Aaawwww, Val: "You two need time alone." Because she thinks the two had a quarrel, so she ends up babysitting.
    Hi Cyberman!
    They don't sound like the AU!Cybermen somehow. Also, yay, conversions. And I'm having an inverse flashback to the epic Dalek/Cybermen spat in 'Army of Ghosts'/'Doomsday' where they compare the size of their plungers. Except this time it's six Cybermen v. one Dorktor.
    D: "The Doctor always gives you a choice: deactivate yourself, or I do." And then another Cyberman pops up. So Smithy comes to the rescue with that little codey red scanny thing.
    Oooohhhh, Time Lord/Gallifreyan brains and muscles don't fit Cyber-conversion.
    Smithy is bluffing the Cybermen with a scanny thing. Shame he got staticked into capture.
    C: "You will be like us. You will be more than us." Smithy's being made into Cyber Leader.
    Also, Bitey is dead now.
    And Smithy is being converted. Um. No offence, but Smithy's pretty chubby. He clearly can't fit the standard mould. And a chubby Cyber Leader isn't really intimidating.
    Called it! The Dorktor has faith in his Companions! This impassioned speech is lovely. But it failed.
    And Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All is crying because he can tell his daddy's gone. Poor baby.
    Power of love rebooting emotional circuits?
    Sure.
    Why not.
    And then emotional feedback happens and we get asplody heads. With foam goop. Smithy doesn't care. He just wants to go to his baby.
    N'aaawww, they hugged.
    Val: "Here's you daddy."
    Smithy: "I blew them up. Blew them up with love." The Dorktor calls it overly sentimental, tries to technoTreknobabble it up, and gives up in the face of faces I can only describe thus: -_-?
    And now we get another piece of slashy joy V: "You two ever thought of getting married?"
    S: "We talkedabout it, but it's only a piece of paper isn't it?" He thinks she means him of Soph, she thinks he means him and the Dorktor.
    Adorably sweet misunderstandings all around.
    V: "It's nice for baby to have two daddies who love each other."
    They twigged. Well, they were slapped in the face with the twigs. The Dorktor looks appalled, but not in that 'that's gross' way, but in the 'wait, what, romance' way that he always acts like everywhere except around his TARDIS. Smithy tries to explain, but the Dorktor's vanished into thin air.
    Embarrassment melted him.
    And Smithy's all forlorn and sad because his One True (Male) Love is gone. But first he tidied up! And left them presents. N'aaaawwwwww.
    It's the great coat!
    N'aaawwww, he went back in time for his mate.
    D: "Oh h prefers the name Alfie now, and is very proud of his dad." N'AAAAWWWWW.
    And Smithy wants to help, but he doesn't want any - he pinched the TARDIS blue envelopes! And gave him the Stetson! We're going back to episode one here people!
    And he nicked off just as Sophie got home. She still forgets her keys. Why isn't he still
    BABY'S FIRST WORD WAS DOCTOR! Shame Smithy got rumbled.
    D: "Well then old girl. One last trip eh?" And it's those children from earlier. "Hey, I'm tje Doctor. I was here to help, and you are very, very welcome."
    Wut.
    Chldren voices whut.
    River Song!
    PhD robe. Madame Kovarian? THe nursery rhyme!
    "Such a lovely old song. But is it about him? [...] Don't try and remember we've been far too thorough with your deal little head."
    SILENTS!
    This is the day she become Doctor Song!
    The Silents own her!
    What do you mean, "according to some accounts"?
    Prophecies?
    "It's a story. And this is where it begins."
    RIVER SONG IS THE ASTRONAUT WHO KILLS THE DOCTOR! DOCTOR RIVER SONG THAT IS!
    WHAT!
    And now she's stuck underwater. And that freaking child singing the song.
    THIS WAS MEANT TO BE LIGHT AND FLUFFY! I do not like that last shot!

Preview thoughts: Pirates and skills and chess set and SILENCE. DALEK! Pterodactyls. Eyepatches. Winston Churchill shot someone what.
    "It's time" all right. Time to give me some answers!
    So does this mean much of the episode happens before episode one happens? Or after it? Or in the - confused me will remain confused.

Best Moment: Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All and all interactions with said infant and the Dorktor. Especially the one in the bedroom.

Worst Moment: Urm. I didn't particularly like the voiceovers given by the children at the end. Oh, and the Not-Rose in the beginning.

Best Special Effect: Cybermen and a Cybership.

Worst Special Effect: A few shots of the Cybermat weren't really all that good.

Best Actor: Corden and Smith for the same reasons as last time, only more so. Seriously, I think Smithy is one of the Dorktor's best ever friends ever.

Worst Actor: Not-Rose.

Most Punchable Character: Not-Rose.

Death Count: Three or four?

Kink of the Episode: Dude. Smithy and the Dorktor make a lovely couple.

Thoughts overall?
    The ending to the story was a little too similar to 'The Lodger' and the opening was a little too similar to 'Rose'; but this is glorious. The Dorktor needs to interact with babies more often! I mean, when you can tie a name like Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All into Smithy's character development as a father you know there's a brilliant episode going down.
    You read my thoughts, I spent most of the time girling over character interaction because character interaction is my One True Love, and I almost feel as if the plot got in the way of the actual important things like:
    the Dorktor having done all his exciting travelling decides to go visit old friends on the last day he's alive and he's happy to do so; and he literally can't stop himself getting involved in things if they arouse his curiosity.
    the Dorktor admitting that the one thing he has faith in above all others are his Companions (or Partners); yes, I'm expecting that to be very important next episode.
    seeing how the Dorktor went from sadly quiet and nostalgic and poignant in the opening to episode one, then 'coming back to life' all perky as he normally his.
    and most importantly of all, rom-com antics with a baby and Mistaken For Gay joy all around.
    Plus that little cutaway at the end is chilling and that's definitely been driving people insane for the past week hasn't it? We all knew it was River in the suit, but we didn't know where on the time stream, and there just has to be deliberate irony in the fact that Madame Kovarian waited for her to become a Doctor before she was used to off the Doctor.
    I guess we all know the one person guaranteed to survive this episode coming: River Song. Aside from that, je n'ai aucune idee.
    But talk about contrasing happy joy antics with a cute and adorable baby with Silents and terror.

Sun/Monday/internet can't come soon enough.

EDIT!:
    So I just had a Shower Moment, also known as 'that moment where you're dong something inconsequential, probably after sitting a major exam, when suddenly the Best Idea comes into your head'. Me, I was in the shower, and so. And while I know there's a term about fridges, I think I'll keep using Shower Moment to screw with everyone.
    So here it is.
    'Closing Time' thematically is the exact opposite to 'The God COmplex'. That episode deals with the Dorktor point-blank ordering his Companions to lose faith in him, and them doing so; this episode is the exact opposite in many ways.
    The Companion du jour refuses to lose faith in the Dorktor; and in turn the Dorktor expresses his sincerest faith in his Companions even when the end has come.
    The shadow of the Silence and the Dorktor's death overhangs everything with a subtle pall of dread, 'The God Complex' is, I think, the Dorktor's ultimate fall and spreads into this one. The Dorktor realises his ultimate fallacies and failing, his titular God Complex and need to save people. This fall spreads into this episode with the Dorktor being completely lost.
    Yet even so he can't resist a good mystery. He actively tries to ignore his God complex, but cannot.
    This episode is also (although I'm predicting wildly here, and will probably be wrong ultimately) the beginning of the Dorktor's 'rising higher than he ever has before' in that his better nature still shines through. Somehow I think his 'rising higher' comes with the fact that he's going to die, and the events surrounding it will have some relation to this episode. Probably in people's faith in the Dorktor or more likely his faith in other people.

It's all going to be so much nothing in a few days, but it's a nice piece of guesswork you all get to laugh at before I see just how wrong I was.

Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-09-30 at 05:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I want Azumanga Diaoh, but with the Dorktor, Smithy and Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.
    Curly, I don't think I tell you I love you often enough, but you deserve it now more than ever because you have had the best idea that has been, is being, and will ever be.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #603

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Curly, I don't think I tell you I love you often enough, but you deserve it now more than ever because you have had the best idea that has been, is being, and will ever be.
    Thanks.
    Could I maybe sig that?
    But that concept would be so wonderful wouldn't it?

Also, on the same track about ideas: I just had a Shower Moment (aka: a brilliant idea came to me when I was having a shower), so I got to go edit something in quickly to my 'Thoughts overall?' section before I forget.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't understand shipping or shippers on a fundamental level. I don't get it.

But dammit Curly you make it funny as hell.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't understand shipping or shippers on a fundamental level. I don't get it.

Seconded.

The shadow of the Silence and the Dorktor's death overhangs everything with a subtle pall of dread, 'The God Complex' is, I think, the Dorktor's ultimate fall and spreads into this one. The Dorktor realises his ultimate fallacies and failing, his titular God Complex and need to save people. This fall spreads into this episode with the Dorktor being completely lost.
    Yet even so he can't resist a good mystery. He actively tries to ignore his God complex, but cannot.
    I'd have a hard time calling a desire to save people, especially when you truly are one of the people best qualified to do so, a god complex. Doubly so from someone who does it as thanklessly as the doctor. I also don't think he's really trying to avoid it in this episode. He gets a job in a shop nearby some suspicious happenings, and tries to figure out what's going on. It seems the opposite of trying to avoid it.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-09-30 at 07:08 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Hey, hey got some more info on that scene.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the opening scene. And the Doctor's in it as an old soothsayer for Churchill.

My reaction to this news:. Moffat is up to his old tricks again. Not explaining. You've probably all put me on your ignore lists but by tomorrow I think you'll all be agreeing with me, whatever score I give it (which will be low). If not, half of you will agree with me (I can name that half but I won't).

In lighter news, Doctor Who is immediately followed by Merlin. Who here watches Merlin? Because that's good too.
    I'm sorry, did we read the same description? Because my reaction was:

Seriously, that sounds awesome. And how can you POSSIBLY blame Moffat for not explaining the beginning of an episode that HASN'T AIRED YET. I mean, I know you hate the guy, but that's just unfair.

And no, I don't think most people will agree with your low score because most of us haven't already made up our minds about how awful it's going to be. A couple of people are worried that the ending is going to be a bit of an asspull, but that's not a guarantee and even if it is, the rest of the episode is likely to be pretty great.

7. - Top - End - #607

'Closing Time' (Season 6b, episode 12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    D: "[...]You redecorated. I don't like it."
    Note: This is a call-back to Classic Who: in multi-Doctor specials, teh Second Doctor says it about both the TARDIS and UNIT headquarters I believe.

Intro! It's my lovely Gareth Roberts, now officially my second favourite writer of all of Nu Who right behind my Lord of Moffat.
    But but but Neil Gaiman.

You know, should I ever pop a Hellspawn out, or adopt one, said child will be called Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. I would then raise said child to go into politics, join the Lib Dems and become PM.
    Why?
    The child's nickname will be Tory. Tory the Lib Dem PM. And seeing as PMs tend to get knighted or similar: Lady/Sir Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. There is no way this plan can fail.
    And yes, I will go to such lengths of planning an entire hypothetical child's life just for the best name on a gravestone ever.
    But if it's a girl, sorry, but I've promised the first one will be Jennifer Robin.
    Aren't you also planning on naming a daughter Coraline so you can set up a terrifying prank at her expense?

D: "I love you. [...]Yes Craig, it's you, it's always been you."
    S: "[...]Are you going to kiss me?"
    D: "Yes Craig, yes I am, would you like that [YES!] Bit out of practice but I've had some wonderful feedback."
    S: "D - I can't, I'm takenOHMYGOD!" Cybermen.
    One: that was so put in there for two reasons - teasing fangirls and boys in the preview moments and teasing the people who noticed the incredible chemistry these two boys have.
    I would pay to see a show just about these two.
    Hmm. Less of a reaction than I was expecting there.

See: Torchwood.
    You've watched Torchwood now?

Oh Lordy, the Dorktor just walked in on a lady trying on some sexy-kicker-and-bra combo and told her she'd look better in red.
    I loved that moment.

These are Classic Cybermen from Mondas. Not AU!Cybermen.
    Pretty sure they've all been Classic Cybermen since the start of Eleven's era.

The Dorktor bought a papoose for Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All because Smithy's too slow in obeying his Lord and Master.
    Yeah, this made me think - there are some remarkable similarities between babies and cats. At least in the way they interact with their responsible adults.

I love that the Dorktor doesn't talk down to Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. And the way he just told Sotrmageddon, Dark Lord of All that later on in life he will face a "persistent nagging spiritual emptiness" and to "save the tears for later".
    This is glorious.
    The Dorktor's just about to reminisce over his age-but-not-age (a la 'The Big Bang' with Young!Amelia), and while I'm sure this is giong to be character development and full and deep and all the things I love: get back to the light and fluffy rom-com threeTwo Men and A Baby antics now.
    No plot.
    Just fluff!
    D: "I was crabby. Oh, I was old. But I'm so old Stormy. I am so old. So very old." Cut to reactivating Cybermat. The Dorktor just called the baby Alfie.
    "You are so young. And you know, right now everything's ahead of you. You could be anything. Yes. I know. You could walk among the stars." AND THEN HE SONIC A GALAXY OUT OF THE NIGHT LIGHT! "When I was little like you I dreamt of the stars. I think it's fair to say in the language of your age that I lived my dream. I owned the stage. Gave it a hundred and ten percent. Hope you have as much fun as I did Alfie." Then he kissed the baby.
    Quite possibly my favourite scene in the episode. In fact, yeah, as a whole scene it definitely is. Only thing which can compare is the moment of the Doctor shouting out his belief in the human race.

First off: AAAaaawwwww.
    Second off: the music! Murray Gold, I will have sex with you one day.
    The way you say that makes me think of that video where George Takei calls out that homophobic basketball player.

Matt Smith is the Doctor. He was my Doctor within minutes of me seeing him in the season five Angel two-parter (aka: the first episodes I ever saw him in).
    Fun fact: Also the first episodes he filmed (Not counting his regeneration).

Called it! The Dorktor has faith in his Companions!
    And humanity in general. At least that's how I interpreted it. Which I really liked. Sometimes the extent of the Doctor's love of humans seems a bit odd, so it's good to have moments like this which really indicate why he feels that way.

And Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All is crying because he can tell his daddy's gone. Poor baby.
    Power of love rebooting emotional circuits?
    Sure.
    Why not.
    And then emotional feedback happens and we get asplody heads. With foam goop. Smithy doesn't care. He just wants to go to his baby.
    And in my head: "THAT! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"

Preview thoughts: Pirates and skulls and chess set and SILENCE. DALEK! Pterodactyls. Eyepatches. Winston Churchill shot someone what.
    Don't think they're pirates. Just everyone is wearing eyepatches.

Best Actor: Corden and Smith for the same reasons as last time, only more so. Seriously, I think Smithy is one of the Dorktor's best ever friends ever.
    Well, they have that special connection (Yes yes, slash, fangirling, I know) because of the psychic headbutting incident.

Plus that little cutaway at the end is chilling and that's definitely been driving people insane for the past week hasn't it?
    Mmm, just a bit, yeah. Also there's a preview for the finale. Everyone has eyepatches.

So here it is.
    'Closing Time' thematically is the exact opposite to 'The God Complex'. That episode deals with the Dorktor point-blank ordering his Companions to lose faith in him, and them doing so; this episode is the exact opposite in many ways.
    The Companion du jour refuses to lose faith in the Dorktor; and in turn the Dorktor expresses his sincerest faith in his Companions even when the end has come.
    I think I said something kind of to this effect. I mean, not specifically contrasting Closing Time to The God Complex, but that the general thing in the previous couple of episodes was tearing the Doctor down and getting him to beat himself up over all his flaws, and then he came to see Craig, who builds him back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Curly, I tell you I love you with great regularity, but I'm going to do it again because I don't want to feel left out.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2011-09-30 at 07:45 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

My reaction to this news:. Moffat is up to his old tricks again. Not explaining. You've probably all put me on your ignore lists but by tomorrow I think you'll all be agreeing with me, whatever score I give it (which will be low). If not, half of you will agree with me (I can name that half but I won't).
    You watched Memento backwards to keep from being confused, didn't you.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

-Awesome-
    Curly, I love you. Possibly even more than you love slash.

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Curly, I love you. Possibly even more than you love slash.
    Now, there's some crazy stuff in Doctor Who that I love. Sonic screwdrivers, time travel, statues which move when you're not looking at them, aliens which can't be remembered when you're not looking at them, lethal laser-wielding pepperpots, and so on.

But the idea you could love Curly more than she loves slash? I'm sorry, but I can only suspend my disbelief so far.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Now, there's some crazy stuff in Doctor Who that I love. Sonic screwdrivers, time travel, statues which move when you're not looking at them, aliens which can't be remembered when you're not looking at them, lethal laser-wielding pepperpots, and so on.

But the idea you could love Curly more than she loves slash? I'm sorry, but I can only suspend my disbelief so far.
    You are probably right. However the only other comparison I could come up with that was even remotely close was her love of Murray Gold. However I thought the content of her last review might make that comparison creepy.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    I'm sorry, did we read the same description? Because my reaction was:

Seriously, that sounds awesome. And how can you POSSIBLY blame Moffat for not explaining the beginning of an episode that HASN'T AIRED YET. I mean, I know you hate the guy, but that's just unfair.

And no, I don't think most people will agree with your low score because most of us haven't already made up our minds about how awful it's going to be. A couple of people are worried that the ending is going to be a bit of an asspull, but that's not a guarantee and even if it is, the rest of the episode is likely to be pretty great.
    So was my reaction. But this scene is the sort of scene I expect to find in the middle of an ep. Or the beginning of the 2nd part of a two-parter. Or at the start of a movie or TV show. Not at the beginning of an episode which claims to give us the answers. You only have 2700 seconds for answers, a resolution to the current conflict, a few action sequences and good jokes and a new mystery at the end to draw interest. You don't waste your first 100 seconds on creating a mystery right out of no where. Is there some sort of medium level between mindscrew and big lipped aligator moment? Because that's what this is.

I do believe Moffat is a superior writer to a lot of other writers (Helen Raynor, Paul Cornell, Stephen Greenhorn and Stephen Thompson come to mind. Good thing Thompson never wrote a Doctor Who ep). But ever since he became show runner he has lost his way and fallen into the Davis trap. Cept Davis could survive in his trap. Moffat cannot.

@Starscream: Memento was self contained and gave us a mystery which made sense at the end. S5 & S6 have much in it that did not make sense.

In lighter news I have finally got a fun fact for Closing Time: this ending marks the 3rd "dad and lad" ending of season 6, whereby a father and son are reunited: the others include almost people (where the ganger dad took his originals place) and Night Terrors (yeah). I think there might have been a 4th ending but I don't remember. Or rather, I don't want to remember.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I won't review the whole review (again) but I'll just agree with all of those saying I had lots of fun reading it (as expected)
    It's really adorable how ell the two of them work together. Still, I don't know if a whole season would work but I'd like to give it a try. Of course with Stormageddon in it. (Well, I'm not British but I'd definitely vote for PM Stormageddon if I was.)
    One thing though... stop talking about you in the shower, it gets me weirdly tingly like with you and Smith's scene in The Logder

Well, I#m not entirely oppossed to it but... yeah, Curly gets the best out of the slash/shipping. It's one of her many talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    But but but Neil Gaiman.
    Well, as great as it was, it only was one episode... I guess that's a reason to neglect him there?
    And in my head: "THAT! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"
    Hu, didn't think of it than but yeah, that's pretty fitting. Would be nice if there was something similar iconic for the both of them.
    Curly, I tell you I love you with great regularity, but I'm going to do it again because I don't want to feel left out.
    Is it too late to join in as well?

I was going to say something on the new episode but I'll hold my breath. Just that I'm looking forward to it.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

In lighter news I have finally got a fun fact for Closing Time: this ending marks the 3rd "dad and lad" ending of season 6, whereby a father and son are reunited: the others include almost people (where the ganger dad took his originals place) and Night Terrors (yeah). I think there might have been a 4th ending but I don't remember. Or rather, I don't want to remember.
    But there was also the pirate ..... Oh yeah I see what you mean
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

Crazy Theory about today's episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time went wibbly because the Doctor's death severed his psychic connection to the Key to Time which was maintaining order throughout the universe.

I fully expect to be proven wrong when the episode airs.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-10-01 at 10:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    But there was also the pirate ..... Oh yeah I see what you mean
    What pirate? As far as I am aware this season was unique not only in that it was split between spring and autumn but that it only had 12 episodes. That is all.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

What pirate? As far as I am aware this season was unique not only in that it was split between spring and autumn but that it only had 12 episodes. That is all.
    Unique?
    Series 2 only had 12
    Series 3 only had 11

18. - Top - End - #618
    Banned

Daemon

Unique?
    Series 2 only had 12
    Series 3 only had 11
    Are you removing Love and Monsters or Fear her from Season 2? And what are you removing from Series 3? Remember, you can't remove the Daleks in Manhattan two parter because that affects season 4.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Crazy Theory about today's episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time went wibbly because the Doctor's death severed his psychic connection to the Key to Time which was maintaining order throughout the universe.

I fully expect to be proven wrong when the episode airs.
    Thats actually not a bad idea!

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Are you removing Love and Monsters or Fear her from Season 2? And what are you removing from Series 3? Remember, you can't remove the Daleks in Manhattan two parter because that affects season 4.
    Too bad that stain on the memory of Dalek is removed. The rest of the cult of Skaro obviously died trying to breach the Time Lock with only Dalek Caan succeeding. There was never any stupid hijinks in America involving pigmen. How dare you suggest such sir!

Also how did the Doctor defeat the Master? They built it up so beautifully, it's annoying that that story arc was just dropped for no reason.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I really don't get why you consider the pirate episode to not exist., I mean sure it's boring and the ending is a bit odd (parallel dimension accessed by mirrors? meh). I don't see any reason for it to be removed from canon, seems a tad extreme.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2011-10-01 at 10:59 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks.
    Could I maybe sig that?
    But that concept would be so wonderful wouldn't it?
    Feel free to go do the that.

And now I must rewatch every episode of Azumanga Daioh and buy that collection of the manga.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I actually liked the pirate episode....

Anyway, I don't get how it's useful to pretend things don't exist just because you didn't like them.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I actually liked the pirate episode....

Anyway, I don't get how it's useful to pretend things don't exist just because you didn't like them.
    I agree, that's kind of the point I was trying to make that ignoring bad things and making incredibly odd excuses why they couldn't exist. It's all rather pointless.

Also, each of the episodes I listed, were unequivocally worse than the admittedly bland Pirate episode. To me anyway.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Well.
    Go on.
    We all saw it coming.
    Almost every bit of it.

Still, I think that was a good end to these two half seasons.
    Nothing but a Nobody

26. - Top - End - #626
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    So you are saying that the question is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doctor Who?

God I hope not, that'd be a crime against whomanity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the producers disagree.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, seen the episode now.

Spoiler
    Show

WHAT. A. COP. OUT! So, it was the tesser-whatsit robot on the beach...which somehow managed to simulate the first signs of a Time Lord regenerating, and which nobody noticed hadn't burned in the boat. And all the Doctor's angst about all the harm he's done over the past few episodes evaporates like snow in a desert all of a sudden. The tonal shift was jarring and awkward and set the seal on the awfulness of the whole thing.

Moffat has done what I previously believed was not possible--he has produced a worse season ender than anything Russell T. Davies ever managed.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Barbarian in the Playground

I really enjoyed that!

Then again, I saw Insurrection earlier today and loved that too, so maybe I'm just easily pleased.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

29. - Top - End - #629

Amazing revelation which you will not believe!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked it
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

30. - Top - End - #630

Well,

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd bet good money Sunken Valley despised that episode.
    I can see his point.
    Now, the episode is pretty good in and of itself. The writing on the small scale is very good, in the character interactions and the strangeness and whimsy of the initial setting. Some minor issues perhaps, and it could perhaps have done with being longer, but generally good in that regard.

However it falls down in resolution of the ongoing arc. For starters, Moffat lied to us. Only relevant to those who watch Confidential, but that doesn't really matter - the point is he did it. I can appreciate the pedantic distinction in saying "Yes, that was really the Doctor," since it was, albeit inside the Tesselector, but "and yes he is really dead" was a bare-faced lie which I do not appreciate in such a context. The intent behind such a comment can only be to provoke speculation, and the theorising fans do not appreciate being told all their speculation was for naught because the information they were working from was inaccurate.
    And then there are the points left unanswered - how did the Silence take control of the TARDIS in the last series and cause it to explode? And why did they do so? How and why did the Silents create the Necron TARDISes? If they were just Silent ships, that'd be fine, but in The Lodger the Doctor said it was someone's attempt to build a TARDIS, which is something that requires more explanation. Then also there are the details of how fixed points in time work. A little bit of expository technobabble would have gone a long way to fixing that up. It's possible to make fixed points in history? How? If it is possible to do so, well, why can't the process be reversed? And how fixed exactly are they in terms of fine detail?

Now to the newly established bit of lore. The Fields of Trensilore, where the question will be asked. OK, firstly the Silence seem a bit confused. It says Silence will fall when the question is asked, but in actuality they were working to cause Silence to fall to prevent the question being answered. Which I suppose does mean there would be silence when it was asked, but it's a rather odd way of looking at the phrase. Also, if the Doctor was dead, surely the question wouldn't even be asked at all?
    For that matter, while I predicted the possibility that the question was the Doctor's name, that doesn't work so well with how they built it up. Supposedly this was some secret only the Doctor knew, important enough that the Silence wanted him dead to ensure it was never revealed, and he came close to agreeing with them. What could be so devastating about his name?

Other points... Kovarian was mostly wasted in this episode, and the scene of Amy killing her was unnecessarily long. The Silents weren't that impressive either. The Silents work less well as a direct threat than as villains in the shadows, subtly manipulating events. Also, though, no villain or monster holds up particularly well to being completely sidelined by the plot, as they were when the Doctor and Amy and Rory went up to the distress beacon.

This episode was, in many ways, something of a Big Bang mark 2, but it didn't work as well as the original. Same basic problem, same quirkiness and whimsy, same feeling of small actions having massive effects as regards the fate of the entire universe, but while Big Bang solved the immediate problem and acknowledged that it left some things unanswered, The Wedding of River Song acted as if it had given us all the answers, but just skated past all the ones it hadn't (Some of which were the same unanswered points from Big Bang).

Now, I realise I've gone on at considerable length about the bad qualities of this episode, which belies the fact that I did actually enjoy it. As I said, on the lower level of the simple events and the character interactions, it was generally brilliant, it just fell down in the resolution of the arc.

So how could it have been salvaged? In my opinion:

The answers to the beacon River set up should have had more significance. As it was, well, it was just her saying it, which doesn't really carry the meaning. We should at very least have gotten to hear some of them, and see the impact on the Doctor, lifting him out of his 'resigned to death' vibe that he's been building up over the past few episodes. Of course, that depends on him actually being resigned to death, which brings me to my next point - no Tesselector on the beach. Maybe some means of rewriting the fixed point in history would still feel like a cop-out, but it would be better than what they actually had, especially as regards the Doctor's character arc. The problem should have been solved, somehow, on top of that pyramid, in that weird, broken reality, possibly with the help of some of the people responding to the beacon.
    That would also eliminate the need for the "Look in my eye" mislead. Because, why would he bother lying about having just told River his name? He didn't have to say anything to explain what it was he'd told her. And why would he be that bothered about concealing the fact he was going to survive from Amy and Rory? It's not like anyone else was there to overhear. Except the audience, which obviously was the actual reason for it, but things not making sense in-universe is inevitably worse for the audience.

I could probably go on, but that's enough for now. I should really give Confidential my full attention.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."